Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Cheaters on the LPGA?

Justin66

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Caddy-charges-golfers-LPGA-disregarding-serious?urn=golf-267309

The abridged version is, two LPGA-ers knowingly played the wrong ball on to the 18th green at the last tournament. One of the caddies caught the "mistake" and notified Rules officials, who in a nutshell, said there wasn't an infraction.

This is coming off a tournament where a TV viewer has the ability to call in to let people know Julie Inkster is (unknowingly) breaking the Rules by swinging with a weight on her club during a break. Everyone remembers the SI reporter getting Michelle Wie DQ'd years back.

So, what say you? Is this a big deal, or not? I don't know about any conspiracy theories, but no matter how you slice it I don't like how a TV viewer has more pull than a Tour caddy.

Here is the blog link for Larry Smich the LPGA caddy who "blew the whistle", the players were disqualified but the LPGA has determined no intentional breaking of the rules.

He blogs about Korean players blatantly breaking the rules and cheating...interesting but we all know that nobody cheats at golf, eh?

And we know what happens to whistle blowers.

Look at the "Here at ground zero" blog for August 31.

LPGA Tour Caddy blog

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

He blogs about Korean players blatantly breaking the rules and cheating...interesting but we all know that nobody cheats at golf, eh?

LOL- I remember reading stories of fans walking in a favorite player's usual miss in the rough to help with the lie; how some people have thrown a golfer's ball out of the trees; some stompped on an unliked golfer's ball... Granted, these stories are old, pre-TV days, but still...

• 12 years later...

Lydia Ko cheated on November 20th. When placing her ball several times, she purposely rolled her ball down the hill in order to get a better place to hit her ball. It’s just not fair considering how much money they make. Watch the video. 

20 minutes ago, Jai said:

Lydia Ko cheated on November 20th. When placing her ball several times, she purposely rolled her ball down the hill in order to get a better place to hit her ball. It’s just not fair considering how much money they make. Watch the video. 

How about post a link to the video.   No news articles indicating anything questionable about this weekends tournament and with her leading the tournament and all the cameras an official would have noticed.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

How about post a link to the video.   No news articles indicating anything questionable about this weekends tournament and with her leading the tournament and all the cameras an official would have noticed.  

I just did a quick search using "did Lydia Ko cheat?" and got absolutely nothing.  Nothing at all.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

I am not that savvy at using computers. She used her right thumb to roll the ball down the hill until she had an advantage to hit her shot. Sorry for not having the video. I’m surprised that she hasn’t been called on this. Although she is golf royalty. 

8 minutes ago, Jai said:

I will try to post the video. It may take a minute.

Copy the URL from the website and paste it in a reply message on this thread.  Or give us a website, where the video is located, and a time stamp in the video. 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

A rule’s official stood there, and watched her.

He was satisfied with the outcome of her lie.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

31 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Its really common that a home viewer will have substantially greater expertise and a more appropriate viewing angle than an actual trained rules expert standing a few feet from the player.  🤣

I'll add, its also extremely common for an experience professional player, one who knows with absolute certainty that there are cameras showing her every move to the entire golfing world, will intentionally cheat when taking a drop, while under the continuous observation of said trained rules expert.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 11/21/2022 at 1:32 PM, Jai said:

Just watched the video since it is being replayed on the golf channel.   There was no evidence that I saw of her purposely rolling her ball down the hill;  it rolled by itself each time it was placed.  

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

Just watched the video since it is being replayed on the golf channel.   There was no evidence that I saw of her purposely rolling her ball down the hill;  it rolled by itself each time it was placed.  

Look he is a new poster and IMHO he is trolling us. And I saw the same thing you did and share your opinion

On 11/21/2022 at 5:51 PM, DaveP043 said:

Its really common that a home viewer will have substantially greater expertise and a more appropriate viewing angle than an actual trained rules expert standing a few feet from the player.  🤣

LOL some THINK they do

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I watched it live and saw her looking like she was using her hand to get it moving down the hill. I also wondered why she wasn't required to place it there instead of getting to move it up the hill to a nice flat lie. I've never seen anything like it but I will acknowledge I may not know the rules and there was that official standing there.

15 minutes ago, Snapjack said:

I watched it live and saw her looking like she was using her hand to get it moving down the hill. I also wondered why she wasn't required to place it there instead of getting to move it up the hill to a nice flat lie. I've never seen anything like it but I will acknowledge I may not know the rules and there was that official standing there.

Bingo.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I watched this on my DVR recording.  After dropping twice, (and the ball rolling down the hill), a player gets to place the ball where the ball hits the ground.  Lydia's ball would not stay in position when trying to place the ball on the ground.  The player continues to place the ball with their hand on the ground till the ball stays in position.  The rules official watched her place the ball multiple times.  Each time the ball would not stay in position.  Lydia continued the ball placement process until it finally stayed still.  She was allowed to keep placing the ball, moving up the hill.  I would highly suggest that all golfers know the rules regarding drops.  2023 will bring even more relief to the drop procedure with the new rule changes. Come Jan. 1, the procedure will be more forgiving. Your ball merely must come to rest within one club-length of where you drop it, even if it is one club-length closer to the hole.  https://golf.com/instruction/rules/rules-golf-changes-2023-more-forgiving/

59 minutes ago, Snapjack said:

Rule 14.3.c.2

What to Do if Ball Dropped in Right Way Comes to Rest Outside Relief Area. If the ball comes to rest outside the relief area, the player must drop a ball in the right way a second time.

If that ball also comes to rest outside the relief area, the player must then complete taking relief by placing a ball using the procedures for replacing a ball in Rules 14.2b(2) and 14.2e:

The player must place a ball on the spot where the ball dropped the second time first touched the ground.

If the placed ball does not stay at rest on that spot, the player must place a ball on that spot a second time.

If the ball placed a second time also does not stay on that spot, the player must place a ball on the nearest spot where the ball will stay at rest, subject to the limits in Rule 14.2e.

At no time did she try and place it where it landed and started rolling. Weirdest drop I've ever seen, never seen it before and no way it was correct. When she dropped it looked like she was bowling, no talk about it on the broadcast which was weird too. How many times have we seen the rules official pointing to where the drop landed and where the ball should be placed by the player?

Edited by Snapjack

8 minutes ago, Snapjack said:

At no time did she try and place it where it landed and started rolling. Weirdest drop I've ever seen, never seen it before and no way it was correct. When she dropped it looked like she was bowling, no talk about it on the broadcast which was weird too. How many times have we seen the rules official pointing to where the drop landed and where the ball should be placed by the player?

She attempted to place it there multiple times and it rolled down the hill.

31 minutes ago, Snapjack said:

At no point did she place it at the spot of the drop. There is still no reason to keep moving the drop up the side of the hill to a flat spot.

After it rolled down the slope after two drops, where did she try to place the ball?  

she moved up the hill because when placed the ball began to roll; therefore she could try alternate locations to find a spot where the ball would come to rest after being placed.   

Well I would think that was the official line but I've placed balls on hills steeper than that. I don't think she ever tried to actually place the ball but I'm not going to beat a dead horse, I was just agreeing with the original posters opinion. And I've never seen it done like that on the PGA Tour.

Edited by Snapjack

2 hours ago, joedeausen said:

Your ball merely must come to rest within one club-length of where you drop it, even if it is one club-length closer to the hole. 

To be clear, this change applies only when taking Back on the Line Relief.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

24 minutes ago, Snapjack said:

Well I would think that was the official line but I've placed balls on hills steeper than that. I don't think she ever tried to actually place the ball but I'm not going to beat a dead horse, I was just agreeing with the original posters opinion. And I've never seen it done like that on the PGA Tour.

It would be great if you could provide a link to a video, so those of us who weren't watching live could form an opinion.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

15 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

To be clear, this change applies only when taking Back on the Line Relief.  

That is correct.  https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2022/11/key-rules-of-golf-changes-2023.html   "Back-on-the-Line Relief Procedure: The back-on-the-line relief procedure, often used for penalty area and unplayable ball relief, has been simplified so that the player now drops their ball on the line, and the ball must come to rest within one club-length of where it is dropped."

25 minutes ago, joedeausen said:

That is correct.  https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2022/11/key-rules-of-golf-changes-2023.html   "Back-on-the-Line Relief Procedure: The back-on-the-line relief procedure, often used for penalty area and unplayable ball relief, has been simplified so that the player now drops their ball on the line, and the ball must come to rest within one club-length of where it is dropped."

Which would not apply to Ko’s drop as she did not take back on the line of relief. 

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Which would not apply to Ko’s drop as she did not take back on the line of relief. 

I took @joedeausen's post to be an informative side trip, not a suggestion that it would apply in this case.  He was pretty clear in saying that the change wouldn't take effect until next year.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia