Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Dave's Take: Xikar's Turrim Single Lighter

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

Dave's Take: Xikar's Turrim Single Lighter

http://www.xikar.com/products/lighters/turrim%2Dsingle/

XikarTurrimSingle - 9.jpg

The Turrim Single is XIKAR's newest family addition. Built on the same principles as the 5x64 Turrim, the Turrim Single is a thinner, shorter 4.5x50 version in a single jet flame. The oversized fuel tank is elongated, providing ample butane capacity and the EZ-Viewâ„¢ Red Fuel window makes it easy to visibly detect when it's time to refill with butane.

Welcome to the first of three Xikar product reviews that I'll be sharing with you over the next couple of weeks. Previously, I've written about two other Xikar products, the Xikar 5-cigar travel humidor and the 19th Hole gift set, and both of those products have been firmly in my golf bag's cigar arsenal ever since.

The more I use their products, the more I'm convinced that Xikar is the company to beat in the cigar accessory marketplace.

Today I have for you the Xikar Turrim Single jet torch. Did Xikar keep the awesomeness rolling, and add another must have item to my bag?

Features

• Durable metal body with sleek look and feel
  • Ergonomic pull-down pivot action for easy lighting
  • Oversized, ratcheting fuel adjustment system allows for easy flame height adjustments
  • Fits into one cigar slot in a travel case
  • Elongated fuel tank maximizes fuel capacity
  • EZ-Viewâ„¢ Red Fuel Window to easily detect remaining butane levels
  • 4.5â€� x 50 RG
  • Four available colors
  • MSRP: $49.99

Ergonomics and Functionality

XikarTurrimSingle - 3.jpg

The Xikar Turrim Single jet torch is basically cigar shaped. Even the dimensions for it are listed with a ring gauge for diameter. The great thing about this shape is that it allows the lighter to fit into cigar shaped spaces. It's ideal for most travel humidors and cases.

The lighter also has a nice weight and texture. The cylindrical body fits well in my hand, and the added texture keeps it in place as you flip the igniter. Your thumb just ends up being where it should be when you go to light it. Solid ergonomics.

XikarTurrimSingle - 4.jpg

XikarTurrimSingle - 5.jpg

The only thing that I would caution you about with this lighter, and all other sliding top ignition lighters, is to make sure that you are putting your thumb on the switch, and then sliding it away from the now exposed burning jet. Buddy wanted to push the ignition switch with his thumb, rather than pull it, and he almost had a hot thumb surprise. Seems like and obvious thing, but it's not for all.

XikarTurrimSingle - 7.jpg

The flame adjustment knob is huge, and very easy to adjust. I hate torches where you need a screwdriver to change the flame height. That's often times a three-handed operation, when I currently have only two. With the Xikar Turrim Single jet torch you can ignite it, and then adjust the flame height while it burns. No other small torch that I own allows for this to happen.

XikarTurrimSingle - 6.jpg

The butane window is also a nice feature, removing all questions about whether or not the lighter is full. This definitely helps to prevent the click and hope flame delivery system that can happen with other torches. You know exactly how much butane remains.

Dave's 10 Click Challenge

XikarTurrimSingle - 10.jpg

My new measurable metric for lighter performance is Dave's Ten Click Challenge. Basically, I will fill the lighter, and see how many ignitions occur with ten consecutive lighting attempts. I know that I want the torch to light more often than it doesn't, and so this seemed a valuable bit of data.

For the Xikar Turrim Single jet torch, the score was 9/10, with the only failure coming on click 10.

(It also lit on try 11; I was curious...)

90% ignition rate is a damn fine score in my book.

Golfability

XikarTurrimSingle - 1.jpg

So the lighter performs like a champ, but does it work well on the course? You bet it does. There are two main reasons why the Xikar Turrim Single jet torch may be just the torch that the golfer is looking for.

First, the shape is perfect. The torch is just the right size to fit in one of the cigar slots in your travel humidor. Sure, this means that you are down one cigar for the round, but I can't imagine when I'd have a five cigar round. For me, four sticks and a lighter still means that I have extra sticks to share with my friends should they want one too. The Xikar Turrim Single jet torch just fits right in.

The other thing that I like about this design is that the butane tank is huge. You can fill this up, and then let it ride for a couple of rounds. You'll have the flame when you need it, without packing a can of butane in your bag like my buddy does. This torch will definitely avoid the 10th hole fill-ups.

Overall: It's in the Bag!

XikarTurrimSingle - 2.jpg

The Xikar Turrim Single jet torch is a great lighter for the cigar-smoking golfer. It has the shape, capacity, and dependability that will keep your cigars ablaze as you traverse the links. Once again, I am truly impressed with what Xikar has to offer.

I think that the $49.99 price tag on this lighter is pretty solid as well. Sure, there are cheaper lighter options out there, but how many $15 torches have you bought, and then thrown away when they break? This torch is backed with Xikar's lifetime warranty, so you are basically buying a forever torch.

I feel that the investment in something nice adds to the experience as well. A cigar on the course has a bit of ritual for me. I like to pick the cigar from my selection, cut it with a nice cutter, and then light it with a fun to use torch. Maybe you are different, but like lots of the stuff in my bag, using something that is more than utilitarian adds to the experience.

Tune in for more Xikar products soon.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Good article there Dave (as usual I might add) As a on course cigar rookie I find that may be a product I am interested in. Down here it stays windy especially on my home course which is about a mile from the ocean. I have been using the disposable cheap type butane lighters and have gotten frustrated. But then again I am a cigar rookie

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• SPY VIP

Good article there Dave (as usual I might add) As a on course cigar rookie I find that may be a product I am interested in. Down here it stays windy especially on my home course which is about a mile from the ocean. I have been using the disposable cheap type butane lighters and have gotten frustrated. But then again I am a cigar rookie

It was a bit windy here last weekend, and the lighter worked great. The larger version of the Turrim has two flame jets and may be a bit more wind resistant. Next week I'll have the Xikar HP4 Quad flame lighter for review. Four jets should make fire in a hurricane :)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Great write up ...... as usual

I have owned many Cigar lighters over the years, from a Colibri Trifector (IMHO best lighter EVER made) to a ST Dupont Ligne and realized they all do the same thing.  They light a cigar.  Some do it better, some brands are built better and last longer.

I have recently come across some torch lighters on Amazon, 4-pack for $13.00 and LOVE LOVE LOVE them.  low cost, torch, HUGE tank and if you lose one you have 3 back-ups..... 

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Love the company and pretty much anything they make. I have 4-5 of their products and they are solid and if not, everything comes with that no questions asked warranty. Thanks for the write up!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

It was a bit windy here last weekend, and the lighter worked great. The larger version of the Turrim has two flame jets and may be a bit more wind resistant. Next week I'll have the Xikar HP4 Quad flame lighter for review. Four jets should make fire in a hurricane :)

LOL I want to enjoy a cigar on the course not burn my nose off.  :D

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived