TESTERS WANTED! ×

Looking for 2017/2018 winter locations

tony@CIC

Looking for places to go for a week where we could play golf. Criteria: must be economical both accommodations and golf (we are retirees) and the golf doesn't need to be spectacular but nice.

Just trying to get out of the Ohio cold and snow this winter. FYI getting there by car would be preferable.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I suspect some would suggest a Florida locale, but that is a rather long drive.   Perhaps, you should just point your car south and drive.   When you reach a location where for you the weather is pleasant enough for golf, get on the net and locate the area courses.  In other words, make it an adventure.

I would agree with the notion of heading South until you can play. I've done that one in my younger days. Head South, hit a cheap hotel, create your own stay and play.

If you want to have something more certain central Florida but avoid Orlando/Disney area. Avon Park/Sebring area has reasonable golf and accommodations.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I would agree with the notion of heading South until you can play. I've done that one in my younger days. Head South, hit a cheap hotel, create your own stay and play.

If you want to have something more certain central Florida but avoid Orlando/Disney area. Avon Park/Sebring area has reasonable golf and accommodations.

Rev is correct, central Florida is not the most reasonable priced area in winter.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

A couple of years ago I flew to Orlando in Jan/Feb for 2 weeks.  Weather was cold, wet and windy.  The World Golf Hall of Fame in Sr. Augustine was great and playing with Rev and Foz at Bayou Club was a treat, but I would find a different time to go.  

I usually head south, but for us that means Arizona or Palm Springs, but we always fly because roads getting there can be miserable that time of the year and it's a two-day drive minimum each way.  Headed to Palm Springs Jan 20.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

A couple of years ago I flew to Orlando in Jan/Feb for 2 weeks. Weather was cold, wet and windy. The World Golf Hall of Fame in Sr. Augustine was great and playing with Rev and Foz at Bayou Club was a treat, but I would find a different time to go.

I usually head south, but for us that means Arizona or Palm Springs, but we always fly because roads getting there can be miserable that time of the year and it's a two-day drive minimum each way. Headed to Palm Springs Jan 20.

We had no weather like you experienced last winter. The same could happen in Arizona. We had an ice storm in Scottsdale one year.

The normal high temp in Our part of Florida in January and February is 70. But anything can happen on any given isolated week.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 6 months later...

Would love to hear if anyone has a favorite course(s) in the Phoenix, AZ area. I'll be there the end of April. I am leaning towards We-Ko-Pa, Quintero, Sunridge Canyon, or Estrella.

Thanks!

Driver :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5*, EvenFlow Reg Shaft

Fairway Wood:   :callaway-small:  XHot

Irons:   :ping-small:  G30 (4-PW), 

Irons:   :ping-small: Glide SS 50/54

Wedges:   :callaway-small:  MD3 56/60

Putter:    :ping-small:  Sigma G Anser

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP 5,  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS, or :titelist-small: Pro V1

Probably the most economical golf trip you can take is the RTJ Trail in Alabama. Plenty of great courses at very reasonable prices, lots of inexpensive area hotels and a lot warmer than Ohio.

https://www.rtjgolf.com/trail/

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Probably the most economical golf trip you can take is the RTJ Trail in Alabama. Plenty of great courses at very reasonable prices, lots of inexpensive area hotels and a lot warmer than Ohio.

https://www.rtjgolf.com/trail/

It's on my list one of these days.   ;)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It's on my list one of these days.   ;)

Definitely a worthwhile trip for the history of the trail, the sheer number of courses and the reasonable greens fees. Are they going to be the most memorable courses you've ever played? No, but there are a lot great holes through out the trail that will wow you. The wife and I have done the trail twice and highly recommend The Judge and The Legislator at Capitol Hill Club, Grand National and Ross Bridge (8,200 Yds from the tips), which is the premium course on the trail. There are two professional events that are still played on the trail The LPGA Navicent/Yokoham at Capitol Hill, which is now a Symetra Tour event & The PGA Barbasol Championship at Grand National.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Pawley's Island/Murrell's Inlet SC. Good courses, good food, and the tourists are farther north. I think it's Big Stu's stomping grounds.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Archived