Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Fitness Thread

So after seeing the candy thread, I thought we might need one where we can discuss what we do to stay in shape.

I've recently gotten off my butt and started tracking my food again and so far am down about 20 pounds since the end of June. I also starting going back to the boxing gym more consistently. About 2-3 times a week as well. I also am going to be rejoining the regular gym so I can start lifting again.

So let's hear what yall all do to stay healthy and in shape so we can keep playing this great game. Feel free to share any workouts, recipes, meal plans. Anything and everything is welcomed! 

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Workout 3-4 times per week. Love the free weights and Olympic lifts. When I'm at home (work in a camp in the sticks, with just weights available) I try to swim 2-3 times per week.

As far as food, I was never really a big fan of refined carbs (ie, pasta) so have never really had to watch my food intake. Playing 3 or 4 sports throughout the year, and having 2 puppies at home sure help maintain my weight.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I own a CrossFit gym, usually get at least one training session in per day and I just about always walk the course/carry my bag for a little extra cardio. One thing I have never understood is seeing "heavier" golfers always riding in carts. I get it if you golf three times a year with your buddies and just want to ride in a cart and drink some beers but guys I see on a weekly basis? C'mon dudes! Hoof it! A 6,000 yard course is about 3.5 miles of walking, if you hit it straight! There are very few people who couldn't use a 3.5 mile walk in the park every now and then!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

What is this fitness you talk about?

Other than golf, I don't do any exercise apart from being on my feet most of the day. I'd walk around 5 miles a day at work.

I'm blessed with a great metabolism, I weigh the same as I did when I was 21 (48 now) despite eating a lot, and enjoying more than the odd drink. I have a coke, a chocolate bar and a packet of chips every morning, and my cholesterol and blood sugars are solidly in the healthy range.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I am a Bodyweight workout believer.

M/W/F: Run 2-4 miles, 100-150 push ups, 100-150 Sit ups, 10-15 pull ups, various amounts of dips. Row 2000-4000 meters. That's the main core, then I do different exercises.

Tuesday's and Thursday's: I've been adding some weights, gotta get those squats in. Squats = Long Drives

Sometimes Saturday is a long run day. 5+

Can't say enough about rowing though, it's a beast of a workout.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

You suck Peaksy!  :D

As most or none of you know, I work a second job at Lowes unloading a truck from 3 to 5 nights a week, so that's my exercise. I get cardio from walking and weights from lifting anything up to 145lb grills and safes. On really big nights I can walk about 8 miles and on small nights it's about 5.

I track my food intake to the best of my ability using My Fitness Pal and have lost about 20lbs in the last couple of months. I hit a milestone a few weeks back, actually getting to 197lbs, which is the first time in years I've been under 200. My goal is to get to 180 and stay there.

As my Mum said, it took a while to put it on, so it'll take a while to take it off.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

What is this fitness you talk about?

Other than golf, I don't do any exercise apart from being on my feet most of the day. I'd walk around 5 miles a day at work.

I'm blessed with a great metabolism, I weigh the same as I did when I was 21 (48 now) despite eating a lot, and enjoying more than the odd drink. I have a coke, a chocolate bar and a packet of chips every morning, and my cholesterol and blood sugars are solidly in the healthy range.

My pants got a little tighter just reading that haha

I am a Bodyweight workout believer.

M/W/F: Run 2-4 miles, 100-150 push ups, 100-150 Sit ups, 10-15 pull ups, various amounts of dips. Row 2000-4000 meters. That's the main core, then I do different exercises.

Tuesday's and Thursday's: I've been adding some weights, gotta get those squats in. Squats = Long Drives

Sometimes Saturday is a long run day. 5+

Can't say enough about rowing though, it's a beast of a workout.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I started focusing on getting my hamstrings used more in the gym, and I've gained a few yards as well

Fitness is what helps me come back from my golf hiatus I take after mid October every year.  Lifting is 5 times a week during the winter after golf season.  I train with the football players who don't play basketball, then come spring season, it's time for track and field; long jump is my best event.  It's always a pleasant surprise when I have my first range session in June from almost a 6-7 month golf hibernation, and I'm one club longer every year, although then I get to the putting green and I'm brought back to reality of everything I've lost.  Then in the summer I continue with the football offseason lifting program to help with my swing speed and my running speed, and make sure to do 3-4 track workouts every week.  It's fun being a fit golfer, and it helps me get some respect for the sport out of my classmates when I am stronger and faster than them, but oh yeah, I play golf.  

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

I got a gym membership at Anytime Fitness at the beginning of this year, my first time being a member of a gym. I made it a mission to go every day after work. Unfortunately, that kinda died out about two months ago. The gym was about 10 minutes from work, which is the opposite way from home, making it about a 40 minute drive home. So having the motivation to work 10 hours then hit gym afterwards was lost. I hate it. The only exercise I get in now is walking the course every time I go out, which is about 4-5 times a week.

I need a kick in the butt to get me going again, or at least to develop a workout routine at home.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

My wife is a registered dietitian (RDN) and is a big gym rat. We both workout 4-5 days a week and my main focus is on strength in the right areas (back, quads, hamstrings, shoulders, etc) and flexibility in the right areas (hips, shoulders, etc). However it's all for not if you don't fuel your body properly. 

Eating right is so simple that people insist on complicating the matters at the expense of their overall health. (Note: this is for people who don't have a clinically diagnosed food allergy)

Do:

My Plate - probably the most straight forward way to eat a healthy, balanced diet. Half of your plate should be fruits and veggies and the other half should be whole grains and lean meat. Check out choosemyplate.gov

Use a smaller plate - The average plate size is 10-12". See how much less you'll eat on an 8" plate. It's surprising. 

Eat plenty of Protein - If you're physically active, aim for 0.8 - 1g/protein per kg of body weight. If you weigh 200lbs, that's 90~kg so that's up to 90g of protein. Think it's tough to eat 90g of protein? Drink milk, eat cheese, lean meat, nuts, peanut butter and eggs and see how quickly you can get up to 90g protein. It's easy. 

Portion size - know a proper portion size. The suggested portion size for red meat is 3oz. Ever been to a steakhouse that offered a 3oz steak? Buying a food scale and using measuring cups will go a long way in knowing what a portion looks like. Oh yeah, a serving of avocado is 1/3 of an avocado. Eating a whole avocado is completely unnecessary. 

Reward yourselves with fun food...in moderation!! - Every couple of days, eat pizza (but eat a salad first), eat a burger (but eat some veggies first), eat wings (but load up on carrots and celery first), eat tacos (but eat some guac in moderation). If you restrict yourself of certain foods, you will binge eat that food and hurt your progress. Allowing yourself to enjoy foods every couple of days will reduce the chances of binge eating carbs or pizza or burgers significantly. 

Don't:

Supplements - Do NOT take supplements if you are eating healthy. You will get all the nutrition you need in REAL food. Did you know that cigarettes are regulated by a govt agency yet supplements not? The supplement label may say one thing, but it could be sugar, flour, and rat poop. We would never know the difference. There are a few independent organizations that do verify supplements but they are few and far between and are more likely in the hands of professional athletes than the avg consumer. If you see a protein supplement that has over 20g of protein/serving guess what, there's a good chance they've added nitrogen to your supplement to inflate the protein levels. 

Diets that restrict certain nutrients/food groups - Whole 30, Keto, South Beach, and yes even Paleo all restrict certain vital nutrients that the body needs. These are not to be used as a lifestyle diet. Whole grains, dairy, red meat (in limited quantities), veggies, fruits are all needed for a properly functioning body. Overloading your body on one nutrient while neglecting another is a recipe for disaster. 

Cleanses - Hey, ever heard of your kidneys? Your liver? There are your free cleanses right there. 

I get that some of you probably think this is a load of BS and it requires much more than simple eating habits. Or some of you know someone that has some random nutrition certification that simply required a payment and taking an online test. Would you trust your taxes with someone who studied taxes in school and practice it on a daily basis or someone that took a quick online test to show they know a little about taxes? Then why do the same with nutrition. RDNs are found on professional sport staffs, college athletic departments, hospitals, doctor's offices, etc.  

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Archived