Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Shaft Question

I have a 60 gram Fujikura Vista Pro shaft in regular flex from an old driver.It's 45" in length. My first question is can I cut it down to 42" to fit my three wood without adding weight? My second question is: I now have a 65R Graffaloy ProLaunch Blue shaft in my three wood. Will the cut down Vistra Pro be light enough to make a difference?

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

Yes,  you can cut it down,  shafts are generally made for types of clubs..woods, hybrids, or irons.   Weight is just a characteristic that is used to fine tune performance.  Give equal shafts, a lighter one will generally launch a little higher.  The only potential issues that I can think of is the tip size for the two clubs.  

Based on your statement,  you are trying to do something but never really explained.   What are you trying to accomplish? 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'm trying to get more height from my three wood. It's a Callaway GBB. I kicked up the loft, but I think the 65 gram shaft may be a little heavy for me. I'm 67 and I have some neck issues that have slowed my swing speed to about 85mph. I have a GBB Heavenwood with the 65R ProLaunch set a 20* and it launches OK, but the three wood flight is pretty low. 

This is kind of disappointing. If I posted this on GEA I would have at least a dozen replies by now. Oh well, I guess 

this forum Is different. So many folks said it was better, but I guess the equipment gurus are still on GEA. 

This is kind of disappointing. If I posted this on GEA I would have at least a dozen replies by now. Oh well, I guess 

this forum Is different. So many folks said it was better, but I guess the equipment gurus are still on GEA. 

Sorry you haven't received a dozen responses like GEA.  There are a few club fitting guys here that I am sure will respond as they read through the threads.  My uneducated opinion is that the weight won't be enough to significantly alter the loft and that the shaft characteristics will reduce spin and launch and result in a lower flight.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks. That makes sense. I probably need to go lighter, say 50 grams, to achieve my goal. I was just trying to save a few bucks since I already have the 60g shaft.

Archived