TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Putter: STX Sync Series #6

This thread is not meant to be a standalone post; but rather, an annex to my Stage 1 review of the Odyssey O-Works V-Line Fang CH. If you came here first and want to check out the review, please click this link. I thought it would be more appropriate to talk about my current putter in a separate thread so I don't take attention away from the Odyssey putter I'm reviewing. This is not a review of my putter, this is just a tribute.

200.gif

IMG_4668.JPG

My current putter is the STX Sync Series #6. I felt it deserved its own thread because I've never seen another player using one and feel there's value to showing it to the MGS community. STX is a lacrosse equipment manufacturer that apparently dabbled some in the golf market. Their website no longer lists golf equipment so I think it's safe to assume they've gotten out of the golf business. The store I first demoed the STX putters is directly across the street from a lacrosse outlet so that must be where the connection was made. Fun Fact: Rich Beem used an STX putter when he won the PGA Championship (credit to sbenson197)

EFSHSc3.gif

Like most golfers, I've been through the gamut of a putter lineage and this one is, by far, the best putter I've ever owned. I have owned 7 different putters over the 7 years I've played golf and have had the SS6 in my bag for 4.5 of those years. I've tried every head shape on the market in search of a better putting stroke. As I was learning the game, I can't tell you how many heartbreaking strokes I dropped by missing putts within 5 feet and by absolutely atrocious lag putting. Now that I've found the SS6, it's been one of my constants through a sea of ever changing clubs. There's just something about this putter that's magical in my hands.

MuYHvsk.gif

I'm typically drawn to “new” things. Whenever I eat at a restaurant, I order the special. Ice cream store? I'll have the flavor of the week please. It's for this reason, I just had to try out the STX putters when I stopped by a local golf store. The SS6 is the first one I picked up and, while I tried others, it was my favorite bar none. The toe hang and head shape really fit my eye perfectly plus the weight helped me stabilize my stroke.

IMG_4671.JPG

STX shaped this one with most of the weight near the toe of the putter. That toe weighting promotes a squarer face through impact where I've previously struggled. I have a slightly arcing stroke but this head shape has allowed me to flatten that shape out. With this in my hands, I'm consistently rolling the ball on the intended line. This design does make it tricky to scoop up balls with the putter but that's just another golf move to learn (like bouncing a ball on a wedge)

cUIbeWt.gif

IMG_4682.JPG

The insert is feels just like any other putter. It's not a particularly expensive putter so I'm sure they didn't invest a ton into the insert and spent their R&D on the shape and construction. When struck well, it feels just as soft as any other putter on the market. From an acoustics perspective, the putter has the standard insert sound. If you lightly flick a folder, you'll hear a similar sound to this putter. My only knock on the insert is that the high/low sweet spot is shallow. Misses toward the heel or toe are fine but your stroke height must be just right to nail it soft. That being said, distance control is still superb even on mishits. I guess that's the putter's way of making up for a bad read.

IMG_4670.JPG

I'm a grip hoe. I change them out on my clubs until they feel just right. In many ways, a club's grip is just as important as many of the other attributes it possesses. For my putter, the SuperStroke Slim 3.0 is the third grip I've had on it. The first was the stock grip, which looked nice but wasn't the right size so I swapped it for a Winn AVS Pistol Mid before even hitting a single putt. I used the Winn grip to measured success until I upgraded this spring. While I was waiting for Dick's to install grips on my Driver, 3-wood, and driving iron, I was tooling around in their putter section and tried out the different SuperStroke grips. I really liked the feel and took the plunge.

IMG_4669.JPG

What the SS6 did for my putting, the Slim 3.0 did for my SS6. My lag putting (which was always the weakest part of my putting game) was exponentially improved. All of a sudden, I'm tapping in for par more often than ever before. Besides lagging, my “makeable” range grew by 40% and I can FINALLY hunt birdies. The reason this grip made such a difference in my life is it allowed me to soften my grip. Impact with the ball now feels like the ball is getting in the way of the club and my hands stay dead through impact. This is that perfect feeling of making the ball feel heavier than it really is.

pVQGGYD.gif

As I write this, I haven't yet received my O-Works putter for testing. Participating in this Odyssey review honestly makes me a little nervous. I'm scared to love another but my heart is open. I buy and sell clubs constantly and have never once shopped for putters since I put the SS6 in my bag. She's been good to me and there will always be a special place for her in my heart. The SS6 brought my putting ability leaps and bounds and my overall scores have steadily come down as a collateral benefit. I will review the O-works putter with a fair and honest mind. There's a good chance it'll outperform the SS6 and that will be OK. What ultimately matters is results.

IMG_4733.JPG

Bonus pic, here is the head cover. I've noticed people care about these. Nothing special but it gets the job done. We're still ding free.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Editor's Note: The gifs didn't load right on the app but look fine on desktop and mobile web view. Early apologies to those who get angry when gifs end too soon.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

This thread is not meant to be a standalone post; but rather, an annex to my Stage 1 review of the Odyssey O-Works V-Line Fang CH. If you came here first and want to check out the review, [please click this link once it's ready.] I thought it would be more appropriate to talk about my current putter in a separate thread so I don't take attention away from the Odyssey putter I'm reviewing. This is not a review of my putter, this is just a tribute.

200.gif

attachicon.gifIMG_4668.JPG

My current putter is the STX Sync Series #6. I felt it deserved its own thread because I've never seen another player using one and feel there's value to showing it to the MGS community. STX is a lacrosse equipment manufacturer that apparently dabbled some in the golf market. Their website no longer lists golf equipment so I think it's safe to assume they've gotten out of the golf business. The store I first demoed the STX putters is directly across the street from a lacrosse outlet so that must be where the connection was made. Fun Fact: Rich Beem used an STX putter when he won the PGA Championship (credit to sbenson197)

96hNniB.gif

Like most golfers, I've been through the gamut of a putter lineage and this one is, by far, the best putter I've ever owned. I have owned 7 different putters over the 7 years I've played golf and have had the SS6 in my bag for 4.5 of those years. I've tried every head shape on the market in search of a better putting stroke. As I was learning the game, I can't tell you how many heartbreaking strokes I dropped by missing putts within 5 feet and by absolutely atrocious lag putting. Now that I've found the SS6, it's been one of my constants through a sea of ever changing clubs. There's just something about this putter that's magical in my hands.

ioHYdXx.gif

I'm typically drawn to “new” things. Whenever I eat at a restaurant, I order the special. Ice cream store? I'll have the flavor of the week please. It's for this reason, I just had to try out the STX putters when I stopped by a local golf store. The SS6 is the first one I picked up and, while I tried others, it was my favorite bar none. The toe hang and head shape really fit my eye perfectly plus the weight helped me stabilize my stroke.

attachicon.gifIMG_4671.JPG

STX shaped this one with most of the weight near the toe of the putter. That toe weighting promotes a squarer face through impact where I've previously struggled. I have a slightly arcing stroke but this head shape has allowed me to flatten that shape out. With this in my hands, I'm consistently rolling the ball on the intended line. This design does make it tricky to scoop up balls with the putter but that's just another golf move to learn (like bouncing a ball on a wedge)

2Du43Lk.gif

attachicon.gifIMG_4682.JPG

The insert is feels just like any other putter. It's not a particularly expensive putter so I'm sure they didn't invest a ton into the insert and spent their R&D on the shape and construction. When struck well, it feels just as soft as any other putter on the market. From an acoustics perspective, the putter has the standard insert sound. If you lightly flick a folder, you'll hear a similar sound to this putter. My only knock on the insert is that the high/low sweet spot is shallow. Misses toward the heel or toe are fine but your stroke height must be just right to nail it soft. That being said, distance control is still superb even on mishits. I guess that's the putter's way of making up for a bad read.

attachicon.gifIMG_4670.JPG

I'm a grip hoe. I change them out on my clubs until they feel just right. In many ways, a club's grip is just as important as many of the other attributes it possesses. For my putter, the SuperStroke Slim 3.0 is the third grip I've had on it. The first was the stock grip, which looked nice but wasn't the right size so I swapped it for a Winn AVS Pistol Mid before even hitting a single putt. I used the Winn grip to measured success until I upgraded this spring. While I was waiting for Dick's to install grips on my Driver, 3-wood, and driving iron, I was tooling around in their putter section and tried out the different SuperStroke grips. I really liked the feel and took the plunge.

attachicon.gifIMG_4669.JPG

What the SS6 did for my putting, the Slim 3.0 did for my SS6. My lag putting (which was always the weakest part of my putting game) was exponentially improved. All of a sudden, I'm tapping in for par more often than ever before. Besides lagging, my “makeable” range grew by 40% and I can FINALLY hunt birdies. The reason this grip made such a difference in my life is it allowed me to soften my grip. Impact with the ball now feels like the ball is getting in the way of the club and my hands stay dead through impact. This is that perfect feeling of making the ball feel heavier than it really is.

GcsEetj.gif

As I write this, I haven't yet received my O-Works putter for testing. Participating in this Odyssey review honestly makes me a little nervous. I'm scared to love another but my heart is open. I buy and sell clubs constantly and have never once shopped for putters since I put the SS6 in my bag. She's been good to me and there will always be a special place for her in my heart. The SS6 brought my putting ability leaps and bounds and my overall scores have steadily come down as a collateral benefit. I will review the O-works putter with a fair and honest mind. There's a good chance it'll outperform the SS6 and that will be OK. What ultimately matters is results.

attachicon.gifIMG_4733.JPG

Bonus pic, here is the head cover. I've noticed people care about these. Nothing special but it gets the job done. We're still ding free.

Awesome review ! You need to teach me how to make that ball disappear

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Great review, and great job on those animated GIFs!

There used to be a bunch of new, used, broken, etc STX gear around the house - wife's two sons both played lacrosse in high school, and one also a bit in college. Funny when sporting good co's like that branch out into golf equipment

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Nice writeup!  My second putter was an STX Switchblade (I have only had 4 putters), and I still have it.  It has interchangeable face inserts, light and heavy.  I putted pretty well with it, but it had two things wrong with it:  the face inserts were too soft for my liking, and it was a little light.  There was no click when striking the ball, no feedback.  If it had a milled face and a little more weight to it, I would probably still be using it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Great review, and great job on those animated GIFs!

Thanks! I learned a valuable lesson as a videographer. Always have the camera rolling. On the big-breaking left to right putt, I drained the first practice putt before setting up the camera

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• 3 months later...

Just making my rounds. The results from my test are up:

{Results Posted} STUDque's MGS Forum Review Crossover

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/21546-%7BResults-Posted%7D-STUDque%27s-MGS-Forum-Review-Crossover

Just making my rounds. The results from my test are up:

{Results Posted} STUDque's MGS Forum Review Crossover

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/21546-%7BResults-Posted%7D-STUDque%27s-MGS-Forum-Review-Crossover

VERY COOL!! Lotta work. Kinda bursts my bubble, as my MLA just shipped today Just have to grind with it and get good!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

VERY COOL!! Lotta work. Kinda bursts my bubble, as my MLA just shipped today Just have to grind with it and get good!

Nah man don't look at it that way. Make a competition of it and go beat my numbers. I'll give you my "bests" if you want.

Great thread! Love the gifs of the putter in action. Had never seen one of those putters before.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I'm right there with you as a grip hoe! Have a Golf Pride Tour Snsr 104 coming that I think I'm gonna replace the Garsen with on my Edel. I just can't leave well enough alone!

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I'm right there with you as a grip hoe! Have a Golf Pride Tour Snsr 104 coming that I think I'm gonna replace the Garsen with on my Edel. I just can't leave well enough alone!

Yeah dude. It feels like I'm using someone else's club unless I put my own grip on it.

• 3 years later...

Thank you for posting this!  I have the same STX putter model in my bag and I love it. I bought it at a Roger Dunn in California and year ago for $35, haha.  I've been trying to learn more about it. Thank you for the grip suggestion as well. Mine still has the original grip and I've been wanting to change it but didn't want to kill the magic of this putter!

• 1 year later...

@STUDque I Just stumbled upon this and my jaw dropped as you are identical to me. I have tried numerous times over the years to find a putter that outperformed the STX but the STX always wins. Curious to know if you are still gaming it or you find something else?

Edited by jjstultz