Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cobra King Wedge Grinds

goaliewales14

I am currently looking at purchasing new wedges.  Of course, Titleist is the main line I'm looking at, but Cobra has been catching my eye.  Luckily a local pro shop had a used one and has been letting me take it around their par 3 course for testing.  Unfortunately, it isn't the grind that I would need if I was to purchase it.  During my initial test of the wedge, I've been very impressed.  My question comes around the Widelow grind that Cobra offers.  Comparing them to the SM6's, I would put the Widelow as the same as the K grind, Classic as S or F grind, and Versatile as M.  During a recent fitting for the SM6's, I was put in the K and F grinds.  I'm a digger, so I need the extra bounce.    

Where I'm struggling is how is the Widelow grind meant for diggers, but only has 4 degrees of bounce in the 60 degree wedge.  If you compare it to the K grind, that has 12 degrees of bounce.  Has anyone tested the Widelow grind against the K grind to see if there is a difference?  Even, has anyone tested the Widelow grind as a digger?  

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Great question, I have been pondering the same thing.

I think the wide low 4* would be used more for the fairways, and hard ground.

The K with the 12 is best used in the ruff, and sand and wet & softer ground.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I don't have to worry about such things - I bag SCORs. All I worry about is that the Hogan TK wedge has the same sole.

In regards to your wedges have you analyzed your game to determine how you use them most. What types of shots do you prefer to hit? Are there shots you'd like to hit but can't? How might a particular type of wedge help?

Most importantly have you consulted your pro/teacher and talked through the possibilities?

Every time a wedge question like yours comes up we all pontificate about our favorite wedge. None of that pontification will be you specific because we don't know your game.

See a pro or just get the wedges you like and build your short game around them.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have the versatile grind in a 53/57° and I'm a sweeper/light digger. The 53° is perfect, the 57° has too much bounce for tight lies/chips. I can make it work, but the 53° is so much easier, I don't have to think.

I'd probably go with the widelow in the 56°-60° if I were to buy them again. I demoed one this spring, and I got along well with it.

A wide sole carries more effective bounce per degree.

Generally.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

AH1980MN is correct.

"Effective" bounce is the big player with these grinds. Combined with your play style/tendencies it

Can be a match made in heaven or a complete disaster.

Measured bounce may be quite low, but due to the depth of the wide low sole it plays with much more than what is stamped on the hosel.

That being said.

I was recently fit for the PUR wedges, and I absolutely love them, but was surprised at the result. I was initially leaning towards the wide low in my 60* BUT due to my yardage gaps and the fact I only use two true wedges it would need to be bent a degree strong at least. Which drops the measured bounce to approx 2* from the 4* of measured and dropped the leading edge to the point where it was in fact quite easy to dig and no longer suited my game. I ended up going with the versatile grind and once my loft was achieved it had lowered the bounce slightly to be right where I needed it.

So I would offered two things. First: if you are interested in the Widelow make sure you are not strengthening the loft and it will be great. Second: for me (and time and time again for countless others) it had paid off to be properly fit for your wedges by an experienced eye.

Take that for what you may.

And I will add that These wedges are one of if not the softest I've demoed/played in recent memory. The MD Forged comes close. T7 are rocks comparatively. Vokey's are always a solid investment. But feel wise they don't have anything on the PURs

And I will add that These wedges are one of if not the softest I've demoed/played in recent memory. The MD Forged comes close. T7 are rocks comparatively. Vokey's are always a solid investment. But feel wise they don't have anything on the PURs

Interesting. I was seriously considering the T7. I will need to hit them side by side.

I do know I get a load of spin with the regular KING wedges, and they are fairly soft.

- A.S.

Sent from #nothingfeelslikeamizuno dreamland...

I don't want to take anything away from mizuno and the T7 as it was on my short list since images first surfaced of them. And they are still one of the cleanest and best wedges aesthetically this season.

I put them through the range test first, after warming up with my current MD3's, and thought I had a real winner. Had a solid meaty feel and performed well. But once I hit the PURs and went back to T7 they felt hard by comparison.

Feel is 100% subjective, what I find soft you may find mushy, and you may love the response you feel from T7.

Demo for feel/look, get fit for performance.

AH1980MN is correct.

"Effective" bounce is the big player with these grinds. Combined with your play style/tendencies it

Can be a match made in heaven or a complete disaster.

Measured bounce may be quite low, but due to the depth of the wide low sole it plays with much more than what is stamped on the hosel.

That being said.

I was recently fit for the PUR wedges, and I absolutely love them, but was surprised at the result. I was initially leaning towards the wide low in my 60* BUT due to my yardage gaps and the fact I only use two true wedges it would need to be bent a degree strong at least. Which drops the measured bounce to approx 2* from the 4* of measured and dropped the leading edge to the point where it was in fact quite easy to dig and no longer suited my game. I ended up going with the versatile grind and once my loft was achieved it had lowered the bounce slightly to be right where I needed it.

So I would offered two things. First: if you are interested in the Widelow make sure you are not strengthening the loft and it will be great. Second: for me (and time and time again for countless others) it had paid off to be properly fit for your wedges by an experienced eye.

Take that for what you may.

Thank you for this comment!  I naturally deloft the golf club (right or wrong) and would take down the bounce in that case.  I was extremely worried about having basically 3* or less of bounce and that confirms it for me.  I actually asked the question to Cobra themselves, and basically received the same answer as the "effective" bounce.  I've been looking around and there hasn't been one place within a 50 mile radius that carries Cobra wedges even if they are stated on the website as a fitter.  All of them can order them, obviously, but don't have any for demo.  I even tried Golf Galaxy to see if they would have some by chance.  The interesting thing when I went there is that I was told they are in a feud with Cobra right now and won't be getting anymore of their clubs in until it is resolved.  I'm assuming it has something to do with price and mark-up, but I could be wrong.  With that being said, I can't order a wedge that I can't test, or get fit for, beforehand.  I recently went to a Titleist event near me and was fit during that event.  I've hit other wedges, and haven't found any that work as well for my game as the ones I tested during that event.  I have a one more brand to put through the test, but it looks like I'll be sticking with Vokey for my wedges.  Thanks everyone for the help on this topic!

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Archived