TESTERS WANTED! ×

SKYTRAK - Clubhead speed Ball Speed and Smash Factor

Hello,

I bought a Skytrak last year and have absolutely loved using it.  However, I am a little skeptical on some of the numbers.  I have played for over 40 years and have been as low as a 3hdcp and am currently an 8-10.  I am pretty confident on my club yardages and I think I am well above average in overall golf knowledge.  My yearly SKYTRAK subscription is about up but before I sign up for another year I think I may need my unit recalibrated but before I do that I have a couple of questions for other knowledgeable golfers.

1.  Is it possible for Ball Speed to be less than club head speed on a pretty solid strike?  I don't see how except maybe if the contact was fat or way off center of the face and I am not even sure at that point?  A related concern is a negative smash factor. 

2. Over the past year my readings have been somewhat inconsistent with swing speeds and such.  Swing speed normally increases as you add length to the club and I haven't always seen that to be the case with my SKYTRAK.

3.  Anyone else have a SKYTRAK and have any similar concerns.

Thanks so much,

Eljay327

I do not have a SkyTrak but agree with your concerns. #1 is not possible on a solid strike, so that calls into question the accuracy of any readings. Have you talked to their customer support?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I am in the process now of taking some pics of my SKYTRAK setup and giving them some sample readings.  I plan to give them 5-10 readings from 7-LW.  I think I know enough about it to be "dangerous" but something just doesn't jive on the swing speeds between different clubs and the ball speed in relation to club speed given the quality of the hits.

Definitely not possible for ball speed to be less than clubhead speed. I would also agree that a 6i clubhead speed would be more than a 7i clubhead speed, for example. So I would say that both of those would concern me. I looked into several launch monitors, and the Skytrak was right up there with the best, so I'm surprised by your results. Maybe just a defective unit. As gauss said, try contacting their company, see if it's under warranty.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

In general ball speed should exceed clubhead speed. However if you start looking at some bunker and lob shots club head speed and ball speed may be close or having clubhead speed being greater.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Do the shots seem to be flying on a correct path?  

I feel like it could still be fun and valuable to have a simulator as long as it travels on the right path.  Might be frustrating to not have the correct yardages, or not being able to actually play a legit round on a simulator, but if it's traveling straight still seems like good practice.

Now it its not traveling straight when it should, or traveling straight what you definitely fade it or shank it, that seems like it could mess with someone's technique/fundamentals.

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

I think the ball flight is pretty spot on......no real issues with that.  The wrong yardages make the WGT simulator experience painful and I did not enjoy it or get my money's worth.  However, some of the accuracy things like closest to the pin and a coupl eof others were fun to do and have helped my game.

working with company now by sending pics of my setup and screenshots of some of my results.  Hope they get it resolved.  I am afraid I will send it in to be checked out and they will say it looks fine.  In fairness to them I will let everyone know what happens and how they handle it.

SkyTrak does not measure clubhead speed.  It calculates it using ball speed as a main factor.  For that reason I don't think that you have a hardware issue.

I suspect that either your software or firmware may be corrupted (or you have gotten a glitchy update).  So that's where I would focus my attention.

I  have noticed that on a spinny shot the calculated distance suffers and sidespin overdoes some of the lateral deviation but I have never seen a clubhead speed that didn't seem plausible.  I have not used the unit this summer yet so I cannot speak to updates.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

Interesting......info about it calculating swing speed..  I have a couple of iterations of uninstalling and installing the software all with similar results. I am including a pic of my results just taken the other night.  I have forwarded this and several like it to SKYTRAK.  I think this shows some odd swing speeds in relation to ball speeds.....VERY inconsistent.

Jeff

60.jpg

Archived