TESTERS WANTED! ×

That one shot you wished you had, and how to get it.

So after the help you all gave me getting me out of my latest funk I thought why not start a thread to help each other with the our weaker golf shots.

One shot I wish I had in my bag is the 20-30 yard approach shot. This has plagued me since I started golf as a junior. So much so that I actively seek to not be at this distance during my round.

But at least once a round, I some how end up having to hit a wedge from this distance. Currently I am trying to grip down and open my sand wedge. This seems to help some but I feel like it's right outside of my "feel" range. Almost all my misses end up short of their targets.

So what do you all like to do when faced with a 30ish yard shot?

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've actually grown to love this shot. I've been working on "picking" my wedges and they play perfect for this type of shot. If you don't feel comfortable with that, a bump-and-run with a gap or sand wedge plays nicely because you can get a nice amount of spin to stop it where you want.

The shot I hate is a draw around a dogleg. I either overcook it or hit it straight into the woods in front of me.

That or a severely downhill pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I've actually grown to love this shot. I've been working on "picking" my wedges and they play perfect for this type of shot. If you don't feel comfortable with that, a bump-and-run with a gap or sand wedge plays nicely because you can get a nice amount of spin to stop it where you want.

The shot I hate is a draw around a dogleg. I either overcook it or hit it straight into the woods in front of me.

That or a severely downhill pitch.

I'll work on the bump n run some next time I am out on the range. That may be easier than flying it and stoping it. Thanks.

I can't help ya much with the draw as my natural swing has a slight fade to it, but I can help some with the pitching the ball to a target that is well below you.

The key here is understanding "effective" yards. So treat this like a 1:1 ratio. For every yard that the target is lower than the ball, you will hit the ball one yard further. This is not perfect math but it's close enough to use as a starting point. I have also noticed that the lower the target is the less the ball will run out after hitting the green. (With wedges at least)

Where this gets tricky is if you have a down hill lie. Here you have to try and feel what angle your lie is and adjust to it. To center your stance you will be leaning into the hill thus your shaft will be leaning forward and taking some loft off the club. (Adding distance due to effective loft)

After you have figured those two things out, just focus on make a smooth normal swing and shifting you weight through.

Hope the helps you some.

So after the help you all gave me getting me out of my latest funk I thought why not start a thread to help each other with the our weaker golf shots.

One shot I wish I had in my bag is the 20-30 yard approach shot. This has plagued me since I started golf as a junior. So much so that I actively seek to not be at this distance during my round.

But at least once a round, I some how end up having to hit a wedge from this distance. Currently I am trying to grip down and open my sand wedge. This seems to help some but I feel like it's right outside of my "feel" range. Almost all my misses end up short of their targets.

my back yard is about 20is yards wide and 40 yards long and it has a slope to it.  I stick 2 old shafts in the ground, grab about 10 balls and go back and forth creating various lies using a 50/54/58 degree wedge.  I've tried a lot of the 'tricks' - grip down, open the face, etc.

One thing I have found that helps me is to let my arms do the work.

Try this drill from Monte Scheinblum (sp?) - https://www.instagram.com/p/BXEs71GFrJx/?taken-by=montescheinblum

Alternate clubs to get an idea of how the ball goes and adjust your swing for feel.

My least favorite shot is 190 into the green...and a long fairway bunker shot....and longer shots with the ball below my feet...oh I could go on....  :D

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

While I have said I have issues with the shots inside of 40-50 yards, I really dread the ball being above my feet. Don't practice it and I don't generally hit the shot cleanly

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Play it back, hood the face, and trap it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

A fade.

A draw!

We should practice together, maybe we'd rub off on each other!!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

A draw, for sure. The day I hit one of those consistently I might actually crap myself.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

One shot I wish I had in my bag is the 20-30 yard approach shot.

Currently I am trying to grip down and open my sand wedge.

Almost all my misses end up short of their targets.

Amateurs will almost always leave shots short and right of their intended target when they open up the clubface on the wedge.

Square your wedge to the target line and your misses should improve.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

For the short pitch 20-30 yards, only use a lofted wedge when absolutely necessary until you are comfortable using them. Here's a tip to try, use a 50 degree or even your PW, stand closer to the ball and hold the club more upright, which will bring the heel of the Club off the ground, this will help keep from chunking or blading the shot, with this shot it will be played like a bump and run type shot, by keeping the heel off the ground it makes it easier to make contact with the ball without the club digging in to the ground. If it is a clean lie there will be a ton of spin on the ball and it will check up before it rolls out. If the ball is in the rough this shot won't work very well. I like to use this shot a lot around the greens. The object is to keep the ball down and get it rolling to the hole. Practice this on a tight lie around the practice area.

If you have to go with loft just use the same shot you use for a short chip shot, and take a longer back swing. Hands in front (forward press), descending blow on the ball. Let the club do the work.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I have a variety of shots from that distance including even a half 60. It just depends on what trajectory is called for to get the ball closest to the hole as consistently as possible.

I'd love to be able to fade the ball consistently. For that to happen this d have to make a radical swing change. It's not likely at this time.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I actually practice this shot a lot.  It's about what our pitching practice range is.  I find it easy to use my 58* SCOR, set up a little open with club face square, and trap the ball playing a low to medium pitch that checks on the green.  I practice higher shots (because I'm not that good at them), but I run more risk playing the shot high, so I don't on the course unless I have to.

So, that says it all... my weak shot is anything high.  I find it difficult to consistently hit the ball well and difficult to judge how far to hit it when I hit it high.  Low is easy to control.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I would kill to be able to hit the low 50-75 yard one hop and stop pitch shot....I swear I could cut 5 shots off my index if I could hit that shot

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I struggle with hitting any full swing wedge shots anything other than straight up in the air, which kills distance control especially on windy days.  I take massive divots which certainly contributes to the problem.  They can be over 12 inches on soft days, and even when I play the ball all the way back in my stance, if I hit a full swing wedge it just goes straight up in the air.  I have no idea how to flight a wedge while still maintaining decent club head speed, and this problem ends up hurting my iron game as well.  I would give anything to be able to hit that piercing mid flight high spin wedge shot from around 95-120 yards.   

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

I struggle with hitting any full swing wedge shots anything other than straight up in the air, which kills distance control especially on windy days. I take massive divots which certainly contributes to the problem. They can be over 12 inches on soft days, and even when I play the ball all the way back in my stance, if I hit a full swing wedge it just goes straight up in the air. I have no idea how to flight a wedge while still maintaining decent club head speed, and this problem ends up hurting my iron game as well. I would give anything to be able to hit that piercing mid flight high spin wedge shot from around 95-120 yards.

You gotta keep your hands low with shaft lean as long as possible. Also, don't take full swings. If you go 3/4 to 3/4 (or 2 to 10 o clock), it's easier to keep the hands low through the swing. You don't really need to put the ball any further back than center stance to accomplish this.

To start teaching yourself this technique, start small with simple bump and runs across a green with a lifted wedge. Work on hitting it low enough that it lands short and rolls far without too much spin. Then just gradually step up the distance as you work away from the green. Before you know it, you'll be able to play this shot with any club in your bag.

I would kill to be able to hit the low 50-75 yard one hop and stop pitch shot....I swear I could cut 5 shots off my index if I could hit that shot

Similar concept. That one hop stop will come if you can take a shallower divot with the low spinner.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

You gotta keep your hands low with shaft lean as long as possible. Also, don't take full swings. If you go 3/4 to 3/4 (or 2 to 10 o clock), it's easier to keep the hands low through the swing. You don't really need to put the ball any further back than center stance to accomplish this.

To start teaching yourself this technique, start small with simple bump and runs across a green with a lifted wedge. Work on hitting it low enough that it lands short and rolls far without too much spin. Then just gradually step up the distance as you work away from the green. Before you know it, you'll be able to play this shot with any club in your bag.

Similar concept. That one hop stop will come if you can take a shallower divot with the low spinner.

Hey thanks for the tips. This is helping me a lot with this distance. I will say though don't blade to ball or it's gone. I am experimenting using different wedges for different distances or ball flight.

Flop over a trap is my nemesis. I pkay with a guy who can hit his 60 within 5 ft every time. Mine either finds the trap or gets bladed into trouble over the green

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I would say your friend is exceptional. Shots like that are successful if you can even get them to stay on the green.

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I've played with my co-worker a bunch since starting this new job, and one thing about his game is he drains a LOT of putts. If I had one "shot" it would be having insane putting ability.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I don't have this shot but have had to hit the last few times I've played and it's worked out rather well.... 150-170 yard fairway bunker shot.... i don't really know how I did it to be honest.  kept my lower body really really still and really concentrate on hitting ball clean.  hit one 165 today that ended up about 15 feet from the pin.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

The short 30-40 yard pitches with the ability to stop them dead in their tracks. As well as a stinger from the tee or even the deck.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

The short 30-40 yard pitches with the ability to stop them dead in their tracks. As well as a stinger from the tee or even the deck.

Those 30-40 Yarders that just stop on a dime also seem to elude me. The rare day, I do something with my hands that allows me to even get it to spin back five feet from that distance, but I'll come back the next day and they'll be rolling out 10 feet.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Flop over a trap is my nemesis. I pkay with a guy who can hit his 60 within 5 ft every time. Mine either finds the trap or gets bladed into trouble over the green

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Most times when you are trying to make this shot it will be out of the rough. Play this shot the same way you play it out of the bunker, it will go high and land soft. Open the face, enter the grass behind and under the ball, and remember to swing through the same way you do out of the bunker. A bit of practice and it becomes much easier to do. The object for us is not to put this shot right next to the flag, but the object should be to get the ball on the green. Your friend who regularly puts it to 5 feet is better than anyone I know including tour pros, so don't expect to do what he does. Put the ball in the big part of the green and try to make a putt.

Most times when you are trying to make this shot it will be out of the rough. Play this shot the same way you play it out of the bunker, it will go high and land soft. Open the face, enter the grass behind and under the ball, and remember to swing through the same way you do out of the bunker. A bit of practice and it becomes much easier to do. The object for us is not to put this shot right next to the flag, but the object should be to get the ball on the green. Your friend who regularly puts it to 5 feet is better than anyone I know including tour pros, so don't expect to do what he does. Put the ball in the big part of the green and try to make a putt.

*** GREAT *** tip!!!

I've recently discovered, and no idea if this is proper technique or not .. but it seems to help me .. is to hold the club low on the grip, very very loose in the lead hand and barely in the fingertips in the trail hand and think about keeping the butt end of the grip low.

That was not a great explanation, but try to watch some of the pros do bunker shots with a high lip in front of them and you may see this type of shot.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

*** GREAT *** tip!!!

I've recently discovered, and no idea if this is proper technique or not .. but it seems to help me .. is to hold the club low on the grip, very very loose in the lead hand and barely in the fingertips in the trail hand and think about keeping the butt end of the grip low.

That was not a great explanation, but try to watch some of the pros do bunker shots with a high lip in front of them and you may see this type of shot.

I think whatever you need to get the ball over the the bunker, or out of the bunker, the object is to feel comfortable with the shot you choose, and if the best shot is to play middle of the green, we need to be on with that, I play most of my golf nowadays in thick Bermuda rough, so I have had to learn how to "hack" it out of the rough with a bit of control with the object being to get the ball on the green for a putt

I wish I have the on command fade. My idea of a fade is a 5 yard draw. Sure I hit the ball left to right but that's usually comes from one of the 3 things, side hill lies, downhill lies, and hitting driver off the deck. Though with the new driver it just want to go straight.

30 yard shot is my bread and butter, I hole out at least once a month. Last month I had 2 in one round. Anything inside 70 yards are my strength. That's what I practice exclusively.

It's all about confidence. Practice then trust that your body knows what to do then hit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Archived