Zylem

That one shot you wished you had, and how to get it.

Our Sponsors

Flop over a trap is my nemesis. I pkay with a guy who can hit his 60 within 5 ft every time. Mine either finds the trap or gets bladed into trouble over the green

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I would say your friend is exceptional. Shots like that are successful if you can even get them to stay on the green.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+
.......tracked by :Arccos:

:ping-small: G410 Plus: Tensei Orange
:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 FW: Tensei Blue

:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 Hy: Fujikura Pro
:ping-small: i500 5-GW: Modus3 105
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60: KBS Tour 90
:MLA: Tour Classic Black w/ :P2-grips-logo:

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :cobra-small: F9 driver 9* stiff shaft 

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* regular shaft

Hybrids:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex  3 & 4 hybrids regular shafts 

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Ben Hogan BHB01 blade

Ball:  :Snell: Black

Bag: 2015 Ogio Chamber Cart Bag & 2018 MyGolfSpy Stand Bag

I've played with my co-worker a bunch since starting this new job, and one thing about his game is he drains a LOT of putts. If I had one "shot" it would be having insane putting ability.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

I don't have this shot but have had to hit the last few times I've played and it's worked out rather well.... 150-170 yard fairway bunker shot.... i don't really know how I did it to be honest.  kept my lower body really really still and really concentrate on hitting ball clean.  hit one 165 today that ended up about 15 feet from the pin.

• Like 1

StrokerAce
:cobra-small:  Speedzone Xtreme 
:cobra-small:  King F7 3w Fujikara 
:titelist-small:  816 H1 21 Diamana red
--------------------------
:srixon-small: Z785 4-A KBS tour 120 
:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 54/58 
:cleveland-small: S.O.F.T. #1
--------------------------
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro rangefinder
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130 cart bag
:Arccos: Stat tracking

Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

The short 30-40 yard pitches with the ability to stop them dead in their tracks. As well as a stinger from the tee or even the deck.

• Like 2

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

The short 30-40 yard pitches with the ability to stop them dead in their tracks. As well as a stinger from the tee or even the deck.

Those 30-40 Yarders that just stop on a dime also seem to elude me. The rare day, I do something with my hands that allows me to even get it to spin back five feet from that distance, but I'll come back the next day and they'll be rolling out 10 feet.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Flop over a trap is my nemesis. I pkay with a guy who can hit his 60 within 5 ft every time. Mine either finds the trap or gets bladed into trouble over the green

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Most times when you are trying to make this shot it will be out of the rough. Play this shot the same way you play it out of the bunker, it will go high and land soft. Open the face, enter the grass behind and under the ball, and remember to swing through the same way you do out of the bunker. A bit of practice and it becomes much easier to do. The object for us is not to put this shot right next to the flag, but the object should be to get the ball on the green. Your friend who regularly puts it to 5 feet is better than anyone I know including tour pros, so don't expect to do what he does. Put the ball in the big part of the green and try to make a putt.

• Like 1

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Most times when you are trying to make this shot it will be out of the rough. Play this shot the same way you play it out of the bunker, it will go high and land soft. Open the face, enter the grass behind and under the ball, and remember to swing through the same way you do out of the bunker. A bit of practice and it becomes much easier to do. The object for us is not to put this shot right next to the flag, but the object should be to get the ball on the green. Your friend who regularly puts it to 5 feet is better than anyone I know including tour pros, so don't expect to do what he does. Put the ball in the big part of the green and try to make a putt.

*** GREAT *** tip!!!

I've recently discovered, and no idea if this is proper technique or not .. but it seems to help me .. is to hold the club low on the grip, very very loose in the lead hand and barely in the fingertips in the trail hand and think about keeping the butt end of the grip low.

That was not a great explanation, but try to watch some of the pros do bunker shots with a high lip in front of them and you may see this type of shot.

WITB of an "aspiring" 😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*; Tensei CK Blue)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR)
..Tour Edge HL4 #4 iron-wood (UST Mamiya)
..Callaway Big Bertha CF19 6i (Recoil ZTR) / Apex CF16 7i-PW (Recoil ES 760)
..Hogan Equalizer 50/54/58 black (Recoil ES 760 black SmacWrap)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator...
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/39526-2020-official-member-review-exputt-putting-simulator/page/1/#comments

*** GREAT *** tip!!!

I've recently discovered, and no idea if this is proper technique or not .. but it seems to help me .. is to hold the club low on the grip, very very loose in the lead hand and barely in the fingertips in the trail hand and think about keeping the butt end of the grip low.

That was not a great explanation, but try to watch some of the pros do bunker shots with a high lip in front of them and you may see this type of shot.

I think whatever you need to get the ball over the the bunker, or out of the bunker, the object is to feel comfortable with the shot you choose, and if the best shot is to play middle of the green, we need to be on with that, I play most of my golf nowadays in thick Bermuda rough, so I have had to learn how to "hack" it out of the rough with a bit of control with the object being to get the ball on the green for a putt

• Like 1

I wish I have the on command fade. My idea of a fade is a 5 yard draw. Sure I hit the ball left to right but that's usually comes from one of the 3 things, side hill lies, downhill lies, and hitting driver off the deck. Though with the new driver it just want to go straight.

30 yard shot is my bread and butter, I hole out at least once a month. Last month I had 2 in one round. Anything inside 70 yards are my strength. That's what I practice exclusively.

It's all about confidence. Practice then trust that your body knows what to do then hit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

I wish I have the on command fade. My idea of a fade is a 5 yard draw. Sure I hit the ball left to right but that's usually comes from one of the 3 things, side hill lies, downhill lies, and hitting driver off the deck. Though with the new driver it just want to go straight.

30 yard shot is my bread and butter, I hole out at least once a month. Last month I had 2 in one round. Anything inside 70 yards are my strength. That's what I practice exclusively.

It's all about confidence. Practice then trust that your body knows what to do then hit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just the opposite for me. Driver is straight to 5 yard fade, way too much work to hit a draw. Funny thing is every other club I can work in either direction, driver just won't listen.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

The one shot I wish i had more than anything is a 4 iron off the tee that goes dead straight every time no matter how narrow the fairway is. I can hit a 4 iron straight, but I can also hook it into the woods.

(Driver:  '17 Taylormade M1). ( 3 Wood: TourEdge Exotics E8). (3 Iron: Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi). (4-6 Irons: Mizuno MP18 SC MMC). (7-PW Irons: Mizuno MP18 SC). (Wedges 50*: Cleveland RTX 2.0, 54* 58*: Cleveland RTX 3.0). (Putter: Scotty Cameron GOLO 7)

Mike Tyson's earlier 90s left hook wouldn't be a bad thing to have in the locker. Hehe

• Like 2

:callaway-small: rouge subzero Fujikura Evo 2 shaft

:titelist-small:  F2  3 wood Mitsubishi rayon 

:titelist-small:  818.21 hybrid Even flow black

Ben Hogan irons apex 4 shafts 

:mizuno-small: S18 wedges 50/54/58

:titelist-small:  Cameron and Crown M1

I would kill to be able to hit the low 50-75 yard one hop and stop pitch shot....I swear I could cut 5 shots off my index if I could hit that shot

It's closer to you than you think. That's the first shot I learn when I take my journey toward mid handicap.

It's a knock down shot, with your 100 yard club, play the ball an inch back from the middle weight on the forward foot 9 o'clock back swing and zip it finish at opposite your back swing. Ideally you'd want the bottom of your swing to be about 2 inches in front of the ball thin dollar bill divot. The ball would come out low with ton of spins.

It's my go-to shots for most of my club even driver when I want it.

• Like 1

DJ fade.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I can't help with the length, but i think I can help with the fade. I am a lefty so i will try to explain as a righty.

There are many ways to hit fade, a very simple one is to just adjust your had position and don't change anything else. So you set up normal and hit the shot exactly how you would hit any other shot. For the hand position, set up normal, and grip normal, then take you right hand and move it to a very weak position, move it so the V in your thumb and forefinger is over the top of the shaft, the important thing here is to swing the club normal, set up normal, the ball will fade, it may slice, If the ball slices more than you want, just adjust the right hand back a little until you get the flight you want. You may only need to trim the hand slightly from your regular grip to achieve a fade, try it at the range.

• Like 1

I can't help with the length, but i think I can help with the fade. I am a lefty so i will try to explain as a righty.

There are many ways to hit fade, a very simple one is to just adjust your had position and don't change anything else. So you set up normal and hit the shot exactly how you would hit any other shot. For the hand position, set up normal, and grip normal, then take you right hand and move it to a very weak position, move it so the V in your thumb and forefinger is over the top of the shaft, the important thing here is to swing the club normal, set up normal, the ball will fade, it may slice, If the ball slices more than you want, just adjust the right hand back a little until you get the flight you want. You may only need to trim the hand slightly from your regular grip to achieve a fade, try it at the range.

This might be a good way to fade it, but at least for me, I never really like to change my grip from swing to swing because I have only one grip that will feel "right" to me (I have a very strong grip that looks pretty funny), but I do like to work the ball both ways because it gives me a range of around 25 yards for every club just with full swings. To do that, I just open my stance a tiny bit, and just feel like I throw my club into the back of the ball (a little steeper path than normal) with a square to slightly open face with an emphasis of quieting my wrists to the point where it even creates the illusion of feeling like they are locked at impact and not turning over which would result in the dreaded double cross.  Even though this is not my natural swing or my preferred ball flight, it is one of the most repeatable shots I have in by bag from club to club.  

• Like 1

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

This might be a good way to fade it, but at least for me, I never really like to change my grip from swing to swing because I have only one grip that will feel "right" to me (I have a very strong grip that looks pretty funny), but I do like to work the ball both ways because it gives me a range of around 25 yards for every club just with full swings. To do that, I just open my stance a tiny bit, and just feel like I throw my club into the back of the ball (a little steeper path than normal) with a square to slightly open face with an emphasis of quieting my wrists to the point where it even creates the illusion of feeling like they are locked at impact and not turning over which would result in the dreaded double cross. Even though this is not my natural swing or my preferred ball flight, it is one of the most repeatable shots I have in by bag from club to club.

For sure, there's many ways to hit the fade, this one is just a simple way where you don't need to change much, honestly it only takes a little turn of the right hand to get the ball to fade. I don't generally hit a fade, so I don't want to make a big change to hit it, I only hit this when I have to. My ball flight is typically straight or draw.

• Like 2

20-30yds? If it's a clean lie, and (usually) no trouble in between, I take a 7i, choke down, and hit it like a long putt. Or sometimes use the putter itself...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter