TESTERS WANTED! ×

SC200 Review (unofficial)

While not an official MGS review, I thought I'd do a review of this personal LM as there seems to be some interest from the forum on it based on comments I've seen.

I plan on using it heavily for the next month or so during my JPX 900 Hot Metal Forum Testing. And as well as just plain old practice to help get my wedge distances down.

Here's a couple unboxing pics to get started. Will update with pics, data and thoughts as I go.

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! Can't wait to see this in person today!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Eager to hear how it works.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

that looks really cool!  looking forward to reading about it.  I go to the range about twice as much as I play so this would be something I'd get a lot of use out of!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Nice! Can't wait to see this in person today!

MDGolfHacker

Yep, get here early enough and I'll have it on the range before we play. 

Man I wanna take a few whacks on it too! Let's work out a playdate.

Absolutely, I should get a condition update on LP and see if we can meet in the middle sometime soon. 

that looks really cool!  looking forward to reading about it.  I go to the range about twice as much as I play so this would be something I'd get a lot of use out of!

Yeah, same here.  I'm hoping it'll be very useful on the range, I like the different modes it has, in addition to just the practice mode, where it tells you the distance of the club you hit, the Target mode gives you a distance to hit and then tells you how close you came to that distance.

Interested to hear your thoughts, I've toyed with getting one of these for myself, but I've always wondered how accurate they are.

I would love to see if you can get numbers from this and compare them directly to trackman or another high end launch monitor

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Gonna follow this one too ;)

Driver:           :PXG:0811 XF GEN4 10,5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 60 regular shaft.

Hybrids:        :cobra-small:  FLY-Z 3/4/5 , VLCT ALTUS R-flex 75gr. shaft.

Irons:             :cobra-small:  Speedzone One Length Irons 5-GW - KBS Tour 90 Regular shaft.

Wedges:        ST8TS Tour T Wedges 52-56-60 + 1,5cm KBS regular shaft.

Putter:            MLA Tour XDream 'Black Edition' Superstroke 3.0 slim (standard 34")

Ball's:             :honma: D1 and TW-X for the moment till i can find a better deal 😉

Rangefinder:  Garmin Fenix 6X Pro, ZIYOUHU Chinese laser, Garmin Approach X40., SwingU app.

Privileged to been testing the MLA Tour XDream BLACK EDITION SuperStroke 3.0 slim AND SwingU app for MyGolfSpy!

So a short session with it on the range yesterday afternoon.   Early reviews are mixed but definitely incomplete.

I used it on our grass range and started with a PW in the practice mode.  It picked up my early shots and seemed to be registering fine.   So the issue with using it on the grass range is as you know, your ball position doesn't stay the same every time because of divots.  So after a while, as my ball position started to creep in a different direction, it was missing shots.

By now MDGolfHacker had joined me on the range (he's a lefty so we had to put it in lefty mode  ;) )    It had trouble reading some his accurately as well, he was hitting what should have been a 105 yard shot (to a measured flag by laser) and while it did register serveral at 97 to 103 accurately.   Several of his mishits had substantially different numbers, it read one fat/chunky shot as 80 yards  :wub:   and missed several others.

Back to me, I was hitting the same shot and had trouble getting any of them to register.   We moved the LM back, up, a bit to the side either way, and adjust the tilt stand to be more upright.  Still missing a lot of shots.

Well, moved on to driver.   Here it seemed to perform flawlessly.   Didn't miss any shots, and it gave accurate (seemingly based on some laser and previous LM fittings I've had) distances and ball/swing speeds as well as smash factor.

I'm wondering since we were generally re-teeing the ball in the same position each time, if that was the reason it was picking it up every time.   I asked a friend who had the unit previously if he had experienced this with the irons.  He said, not the missing of shots at all.  But it did take him a bit of planing around with the distance/placement especially when hitting on grass.  But when he did find the right location, it worked every time. 

So hope to get more time with it today.  Maybe actually on the course on an empty hole and see what happens.    

So a short session with it on the range yesterday afternoon. Early reviews are mixed but definitely incomplete.

I used it on our grass range and started with a PW in the practice mode. It picked up my early shots and seemed to be registering fine. So the issue with using it on the grass range is as you know, your ball position doesn't stay the same every time because of divots. So after a while, as my ball position started to creep in a different direction, it was missing shots.

By now MDGolfHacker had joined me on the range (he's a lefty so we had to put it in lefty mode ;) ) It had trouble reading some his accurately as well, he was hitting what should have been a 105 yard shot (to a measured flag by laser) and while it did register serveral at 97 to 103 accurately. Several of his mishits had substantially different numbers, it read one fat/chunky shot as 80 yards :wub: and missed several others.

Back to me, I was hitting the same shot and had trouble getting any of them to register. We moved the LM back, up, a bit to the side either way, and adjust the tilt stand to be more upright. Still missing a lot of shots.

Well, moved on to driver. Here it seemed to perform flawlessly. Didn't miss any shots, and it gave accurate (seemingly based on some laser and previous LM fittings I've had) distances and ball/swing speeds as well as smash factor.

I'm wondering since we were generally re-teeing the ball in the same position each time, if that was the reason it was picking it up every time. I asked a friend who had the unit previously if he had experienced this with the irons. He said, not the missing of shots at all. But it did take him a bit of planing around with the distance/placement especially when hitting on grass. But when he did find the right location, it worked every time.

So hope to get more time with it today. Maybe actually on the course on an empty hole and see what happens.

Strangely, it only liked to pick up my bad shots, which were plentiful during this range session, ha ha ha... Some of my best drives an irons didn't register, go figure...

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Strangely, it only liked to pick up my bad shots, which were plentiful during this range session, ha ha ha... Some of my best drives an irons didn't register, go figure...

MDGolfHacker

Yeah, I forgot to tell you I was hitting the pause button when I saw the drive starting long and straight...ha

I think the early drives our first time out with it, were missing.  But the second session I think it picked up all the drives from all three of us.  

Yeah, I forgot to tell you I was hitting the pause button when I saw the drive starting long and straight...ha

I think the early drives our first time out with it, were missing. But the second session I think it picked up all the drives from all three of us.

LOL, appreciate you letting me use it. Eye opening though as I don't hit the driver anywhere close to what I thought.. Even the irons didn't fly as far. I guess I really need those GI distance irons after all...

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Yeah, thanks for posting this and taking time for follow-ups, too! Also curious about this unit for practice and for learning "my" distances better.

Wondering if some of the problems of missed shots are related to the ball sitting down on grass, vs. slightly elevated w/r/to the unit when the ball is up on mat?

(eg. it always sensed the ball when tee'ed high for a driver?

Looking fwd to learning more!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

So much better results today. I actually went out to a tee box on the course that was closed. The grass is a little bit tighter on this box as its brand new Bermuda that is still growing in. Yesterday was on Bermuda grass range that is fully mature.   So to CK's point above. It could definitely have been the small difference the ball was sitting perhaps down a bit. Something to watch for on the range next.

But on to the results. Much improved today from a functionality standpoint. I hit everything from a GW to Driver and it didn't miss a shot.  Only one funky distance on a chucked wedge it said 40 yards and I stepped it off at 20.

I'll share some pics of results from a 6 iron and driver. As long as you all hold the snickers at the short knocker. Ha    As MDGH said above. Launch monitors are humbling and eye opening.

But I think an important thing to take on these. You shouldn't use them to really chase distances. But more so to learn the consistent and real distance you hit your scoring clubs. I plan to do a lot of work with this on Wedges.

As I continue to get to know the unit. I'll give recaps of each of the modes and how they are most useful (or not) whatever the case maybe.

These shots are from practice mode, where it simply tells you distance, ball speed and smash factor.

So on a slightly OT question but still related.   Looking at my swing speed above on the two clubs, there is only a 7 mph difference between my 6 iron and the driver.   That seems kinda close to me, I know I have a slower than average driver swing, for whatever reason.  I've dropped from mid 90's to mid to high 80's over the last two years.   But I would have expected a bit bigger difference.  My 7 iron was 74 mph and right at 10 yards less carry. 

Interesting! Does it say anywhere, or do you know - does the thing actually track the ball through it's entire flight to measure distance (like a radar), or .. does it calculate (impute) the carry distance based on the measured launch conditions and the stated club used??

(I'm guessing the second one.)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Interesting! Does it say anywhere, or do you know - does the thing actually track the ball through it's entire flight to measure distance (like a radar), or .. does it calculate (impute) the carry distance based on the measured launch conditions and the stated club used??

(I'm guessing the second one.)

a little of both. It uses radar but I believe for only the first 20 to 30 yards of flight. Then calculates like you said.

It annouces and displays the distance well before it lands.

Does it calculate how far off line you are?

No it doesn't measure any spin at all. My eyes do a good enogh job of telling me how far offline I am

No it doesn't measure any spin at all. My eyes do a good enogh job of telling me how far offline I am

Another advantage for not hitting the ball very far.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Another advantage for not hitting the ball very far.

Yep....That and I generally don't hit it far enough to reach the trouble, water, bunkers and cross hazards....ha

Have you had experience with any other types of personal launch monitors?

I am very curious as your initial impressions of value.  I could see it being valuable to have something that is giving you ball park figures, but at the same time if you are going to spend the money wanting to have a launch monitor that is both accurate and gives you all flight characteristics.

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

Have you had experience with any other types of personal launch monitors?

I am very curious as your initial impressions of value.  I could see it being valuable to have something that is giving you ball park figures, but at the same time if you are going to spend the money wanting to have a launch monitor that is both accurate and gives you all flight characteristics.

Good question. I don't have any experience with any other personal LM. I was looking at the ES14 and the MEVO. Skytrack was a wild thought but not seriously considered due to price for me.

I mainly wanted one that would give me accurate distance. Anything else was a bonus. So swing speed, ball speed and smash factor are all nice bonus. Yeah having accurate spin numbers would have been the next "nice to have" feature. But for the price difference. I got this off a good friend who has used it maybe half dozen times and it was packaged as if it was brand new. The price he gave me was better than wholesale (which I was about to order through our course)

I'm very happy with what it provides.

So I got out on the range again with this yesterday.

The hood news is, it worked perfectly. Picked up every shot accurately.

I wanted to post some pics using the target mode. Where you select a distance and pick a club for that distance. Then hit 10 shots tracking how many of them come close to the target distance.

The only thing is, it only shows the result for about 5 seconds or so then resets to the target distance. So not long enough to put the club down grab the phone and take a pict.

I'll have someone help me with that next week. I will say. I am a bit curious on this. I picked 125 yards and my 9 iron.

As I had two shots this week on course where I lasered the flag and they were 123 and 128 respectfully. Both times I hit 9 iron pretty close. I'd say within 5 yards at most.

Several of my readings in This mode were around 105 to 119. None that actually reached 125.

Now these were our range balls which at this time of year are starting to show a lot of wear. Not sure if that's a factor.

I'll try it next on a hole with my the Z STAR and see what happens.

Hey Voice Caddie!! I think I sold two of these for you yesterday. Ha

One of our regular players was hitting next to me on the range. We were having a casual conversation while hitting.

He was hitting bombs with his JPX900 Driver.

I kinda casually put the LM down behind where he was hitting. He asked what that was I told him.

He said "cool I've kinds always wondered what my swing speed is and how much distance I've lost the past 5 years since I'm turning 60 this year.

His first drive. 113 mph SD 161 ball speed 278 carry

Next one he said he tried to hard to kill it and it was 107 as ans 249 carry. He laughed and said that proves when you try to muscle up one. You end up swinging slower.

He then hit a few more peaking out at 283. That's just in same to me for a 60 year old. Granted he's built like a brick house and played football in HS and college.

By now one of our young guns joined us and Joe said. Jake you got to get on this thing. Jake is in his mid 20's and no bigger than Jordan Spieth. We gave him a few wedge swings to warn up.

Then it was show time.

1st one was a "miss" 288 yards with a 114 swing.

Next one

117 as

181 be (I'm going off memory but think that was it.

294 carry

He just looked at the screen and smiled. He hit a few more.

Then Joe asked if he could hit a few with his 7 iron to get an idea.

100 mph swing speed

184 carry.

I laughed and said that's better than some of my drives.

They both loved it. Asked how much they were and said they have to get one.

I think we are going to have to start carrying a few of these in stock in the pro shop. Ha

Great comments Carolina Golfer 2. I have the sc100 version and did experience some difficulty registering shots as well. So much so that I ended up calling customer service. After some trouble shooting they ended up sending me a new one--top notch customer service!

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Used this is some JPX 900 testing today.

I believe and i could be wrong, but it must somehow calculate into the wind and down wind.  I hit a couple solid 7 irons that only registered 121 and 118, both into the wind.  I know I'm short but come on now...Then I turned around in the fairway hit back the other direction and had a couple 7 irons register 133 and 141 I believe.    

A couple 4 irons into the wind that registered 149 and 154, the same as the 7 went to them in the fairway backed up about 20 yards and hit the other direction, and had a 166 and 172.  I'll take a 172 4 iron any day...ha

So this was interesting, I know it calculates some weather info like barometric pressure.  But I don't see how that could factor in wind. It has no Wi Fi to get it from a weather station, and it sits low on the ground.    Pretty strange. 

Maybe you should start playing the course backwards

Maybe you should start playing the course backwards

LOL. There's a good thought.

But I have to give credit to Jlukes for the idea. A While back in talking about learning your distances accurately. He told me about parking the cart in the fairway. Then hitting shots, walk to the ball and measure back to the cart.

So I do that. Then take aim hitting back to the cart from each distance. Last time out. I hit the top of the cart roof. I'd say I had that distance down.

Another time on testing my 5 wood distance. I was 200 from the cart and I have a picture of one of the balls laying at the base of one of the tires.

But iT was like one out of five shots. Ha. The others were all within 15 yards or so though left or right.

Archived