Our Sponsors

No it doesn't measure any spin at all. My eyes do a good enogh job of telling me how far offline I am

Another advantage for not hitting the ball very far.

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While not an official MGS review, I thought I'd do a review of this personal LM as there seems to be some interest from the forum on it based on comments I've seen. I plan on using it heavily for the

So a short session with it on the range yesterday afternoon.   Early reviews are mixed but definitely incomplete.   I used it on our grass range and started with a PW in the practice mode.  It picke

Hi all. Just joined the forum, but thought I would throw out my 2 cents on this product.   I have been using it for almost a year now for every practice session. And I would say that it overall exce

Posted Images

Another advantage for not hitting the ball very far.

Yep....That and I generally don't hit it far enough to reach the trouble, water, bunkers and cross hazards....ha

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Have you had experience with any other types of personal launch monitors?

I am very curious as your initial impressions of value.  I could see it being valuable to have something that is giving you ball park figures, but at the same time if you are going to spend the money wanting to have a launch monitor that is both accurate and gives you all flight characteristics.

• Like 1

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

Have you had experience with any other types of personal launch monitors?

I am very curious as your initial impressions of value.  I could see it being valuable to have something that is giving you ball park figures, but at the same time if you are going to spend the money wanting to have a launch monitor that is both accurate and gives you all flight characteristics.

Good question. I don't have any experience with any other personal LM. I was looking at the ES14 and the MEVO. Skytrack was a wild thought but not seriously considered due to price for me.

I mainly wanted one that would give me accurate distance. Anything else was a bonus. So swing speed, ball speed and smash factor are all nice bonus. Yeah having accurate spin numbers would have been the next "nice to have" feature. But for the price difference. I got this off a good friend who has used it maybe half dozen times and it was packaged as if it was brand new. The price he gave me was better than wholesale (which I was about to order through our course)

I'm very happy with what it provides.

• Like 2

So I got out on the range again with this yesterday.

The hood news is, it worked perfectly. Picked up every shot accurately.

I wanted to post some pics using the target mode. Where you select a distance and pick a club for that distance. Then hit 10 shots tracking how many of them come close to the target distance.

The only thing is, it only shows the result for about 5 seconds or so then resets to the target distance. So not long enough to put the club down grab the phone and take a pict.

I'll have someone help me with that next week. I will say. I am a bit curious on this. I picked 125 yards and my 9 iron.

As I had two shots this week on course where I lasered the flag and they were 123 and 128 respectfully. Both times I hit 9 iron pretty close. I'd say within 5 yards at most.

Several of my readings in This mode were around 105 to 119. None that actually reached 125.

Now these were our range balls which at this time of year are starting to show a lot of wear. Not sure if that's a factor.

I'll try it next on a hole with my the Z STAR and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Hey Voice Caddie!! I think I sold two of these for you yesterday. Ha

One of our regular players was hitting next to me on the range. We were having a casual conversation while hitting.

He was hitting bombs with his JPX900 Driver.

I kinda casually put the LM down behind where he was hitting. He asked what that was I told him.

He said "cool I've kinds always wondered what my swing speed is and how much distance I've lost the past 5 years since I'm turning 60 this year.

His first drive. 113 mph SD 161 ball speed 278 carry

Next one he said he tried to hard to kill it and it was 107 as ans 249 carry. He laughed and said that proves when you try to muscle up one. You end up swinging slower.

He then hit a few more peaking out at 283. That's just in same to me for a 60 year old. Granted he's built like a brick house and played football in HS and college.

By now one of our young guns joined us and Joe said. Jake you got to get on this thing. Jake is in his mid 20's and no bigger than Jordan Spieth. We gave him a few wedge swings to warn up.

Then it was show time.

1st one was a "miss" 288 yards with a 114 swing.

Next one

117 as

181 be (I'm going off memory but think that was it.

294 carry

He just looked at the screen and smiled. He hit a few more.

Then Joe asked if he could hit a few with his 7 iron to get an idea.

100 mph swing speed

184 carry.

I laughed and said that's better than some of my drives.

They both loved it. Asked how much they were and said they have to get one.

I think we are going to have to start carrying a few of these in stock in the pro shop. Ha

• Like 2

Great comments Carolina Golfer 2. I have the sc100 version and did experience some difficulty registering shots as well. So much so that I ended up calling customer service. After some trouble shooting they ended up sending me a new one--top notch customer service!

• Like 2
:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Used this is some JPX 900 testing today.

I believe and i could be wrong, but it must somehow calculate into the wind and down wind.  I hit a couple solid 7 irons that only registered 121 and 118, both into the wind.  I know I'm short but come on now...Then I turned around in the fairway hit back the other direction and had a couple 7 irons register 133 and 141 I believe.    

A couple 4 irons into the wind that registered 149 and 154, the same as the 7 went to them in the fairway backed up about 20 yards and hit the other direction, and had a 166 and 172.  I'll take a 172 4 iron any day...ha

So this was interesting, I know it calculates some weather info like barometric pressure.  But I don't see how that could factor in wind. It has no Wi Fi to get it from a weather station, and it sits low on the ground.    Pretty strange. 

• Like 1

Maybe you should start playing the course backwards

• Like 5

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Maybe you should start playing the course backwards

LOL. There's a good thought.

But I have to give credit to Jlukes for the idea. A While back in talking about learning your distances accurately. He told me about parking the cart in the fairway. Then hitting shots, walk to the ball and measure back to the cart.

So I do that. Then take aim hitting back to the cart from each distance. Last time out. I hit the top of the cart roof. I'd say I had that distance down.

Another time on testing my 5 wood distance. I was 200 from the cart and I have a picture of one of the balls laying at the base of one of the tires.

But iT was like one out of five shots. Ha. The others were all within 15 yards or so though left or right.

• Like 1

That is a similar approach to how to determine your distances.  Hit your longest club and leave your bag where you hit them from and laser back to the bag.  Then hit your next club toward the bag and measure to the bag again to calculate second wedge distance.  Keep doing this as you go through your clubs and you can figure out all the distances.   Or you could just buy an SC200 and let it tell you 

• Like 3

That is a similar approach to how to determine your distances. Hit your longest club and leave your bag where you hit them from and laser back to the bag. Then hit your next club toward the bag and measure to the bag again to calculate second wedge distance. Keep doing this as you go through your clubs and you can figure out all the distances. Or you could just buy an SC200 and let it tell you

Ha. Using them both provides validation. Validation that I'm a short hitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

update:

So I thought it was time for an update.  

I've been using this a lot on the range of late, not only on my swings but other people as well to make sure it is being consistent with all types of speeds and distances.   For the most part it's been very solid.

I and our Assistant Superintendent went out to a tee box last week and hit dozens of balls off the tee down the fairway.  We were hitting shots anywhere from 150 to the middle of the fairway to 260 yards to the green, we where hitting from the red sets on a short par 4.   All the distances and club-head speeds registered, and all seemed very accurate, he was on the green with a 3 wood that registered 253 and over on a driver that registered 271.   So all was good that round.

I used it on the tee of a par 5 one day hitting about a dozen balls (course was closed for the day...so no holding up play)  I was comparing the Srixon565 and Titleist 917D3..   The D3 came out the winner by the way, and has been back in the bag since.

Today was the first hiccup I've had with it in a while.   

I hit several partial and full PW's and got readings from 68 to 105, all seemed normal there.

I moved up to my Srixon 565 6 iron and my JPX900 HotMetal 6 iron and things got wonky.   It never seemed to register past 124 yards for either club.  Now I know I'm short, but this is pushing it.   I was landing most shots right at or just past a yellow flag straight out on the range, so I took my precision pro NX7 and shot it at 141.3.   Which is about a normal 6 iron for me these days.   

I took out a 23 degree hybrid and hit a few solid shots that flew well past the yellow flag and the SC200 showed 156 to 161.   So that seemed about right.

On to Driver and by now our Asst. Super had joined me.   He took a few swings with the 917D3 and registered anywhere from 271 to 286 with a swing speed ranging from 112 to 116 and smash-factors of 143 to 146

I took my turns and got my measly 88 to 91 swing out there from 196 to a best of 221.  So all seemed normal with driver for both of us.

After he left, I went back to the 6 irons and pretty much got the same result.  i tried moving the monitor to a different location and hitting off some fresh turf.   Still no change,  for it to consistently miss the 6 irons, I'm thinkinng it must have had something to do with the height of the launch, but the drivers were launching much higher than the 6 most of the time.

Pretty weird.  But overall I'm still very pleased with it, for the price.  But I know MGS testing showed some inconsistencies in it's very thorough testing of it. 

• Like 2

Do you hit off turf or grass on your range? I wonder if that's a factor in its readings.

I was thinking the grass and dirt flying up with your divots could've caused reading issues but that's probably not the case if it reads your PW fine. Unless it reads your PW fine because it clears the divot quicker.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+
.......tracked by :Arccos:

:ping-small: G410 Plus: Tensei Orange
:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 FW: Tensei Blue

:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 Hy: Fujikura Pro
:ping-small: i500 5-GW: Modus3 105
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60: KBS Tour 90
:MLA: Tour Classic Black w/ :P2-grips-logo:

Off grass. It's a Bermuda range. So the there aren't too many divots to speak of.

Maybe I'm just hitting the ball too far. Ha Ha

• Like 1

Off grass. It's a Bermuda range. So the there aren't too many divots to speak of.

Maybe I'm just hitting the ball too far. Ha Ha

Is there a minimum distance per iron?

• Like 2

Is there a minimum distance per iron?

Yed apparently it's 124. Lol

It's odd as some of my thinned bottom grooved PW went 168'ish. Even though they never got more than 5 feet off the ground. Lol

So now at least I know I got that shot

• Like 2

So based on your results I may have to dig mine out and give it a try.  Have been mostly using my ES14 this year but kind of a pain to lug that and my iPad with me at all times.  

• Like 1

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

So based on your results I may have to dig mine out and give it a try.  Have been mostly using my ES14 this year but kind of a pain to lug that and my iPad with me at all times.  

yeah, I thought really hard on the ES14 based on your comments and personal experience with it.  But the price from a friend on this one and getting it so fast definitely played into it.  I'm very happy with it.  Although yeah, it would be nice to see the spin and other things the ES14 offers.   

I'm sure there will be an updated bunch at the PGA Show in January, so if I go to it this year, I'll definitely be giving them all a through look. 

Pretty weird. But overall I'm still very pleased with it, for the price. But I know MGS testing showed some inconsistencies in it's very thorough testing of it.

Question: did you turn it off (power off) when moving between locations?

Any of our .. ahem .. "smart" devices can be subject to minor programming issues where old, now junk, data doesn't get cleared out properly from its memory. Funny how many times just a quick power off / power on can clear out "wonky" behavior.

• Like 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator