TESTERS WANTED! ×

TaylorMade (Japan) XFT Black TP Wedges

GolfSpy_X

Not a great fan of TM but those ARE definitely sharp lookin! I'd definitely take a hard look at them if they hit the states. :D

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

Not a great fan of TM but those ARE definitely sharp lookin! I'd definitely take a hard look at them if they hit the states. :)

These would probably be the only thing I'd pay full price for, as far as OEMs are concerned. It's really one of the few innovations I recognize (for what that's worth). Buy one, get the right shaft and grip in it, grind it how you like and you have your wedges for possibly the rest of your life. All you'd have to do is buy replacement faces, grips and shafts when the need arises.

For as much as I harp on TM, I truly like these wedges.

Great looking wedge, hope it comes state side soon :D

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

i'd like to see the red be changed to black, but other than that these are really nice...plus its nice to see a taylormade product w/o burner or super in the name... :D

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

we come from outer space. frickin thing looks like a transformer!

wanna know the secret to satisfying a woman everytime?...................................................................................................................................................who cares

How on earth do you wear out the sole?! You don't have to play it off EVERY cart path you know?! :huh:

I really like the idea of these wedges, but the look has never impressed me. It isn't even the bolts on the back, its all the other crap going on.

The black finish looks better and could hide some of that if they didn't go out of thier way to redecorate the things!

Hoping for cleaner lines and more grind options someday!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I'm very happy with my Scratch wedges right now, and at their current price, I can't see a reason to switch, but I do really like the idea behind these wedges. I would be particularly happy if TM used this technology as a platform to offer a new run of wedges each year with a different grind. My thought is that they would always offer the "basic" sole wedge, but each year, or 6 months, offer a new sole configuration. That way, I could buy the right grind for each wedge when they came out and then I'd just be buying new faces. Not sure if I explained that as clearly as I'm thinking it, but I'm in a hurry...off to work!

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I'm very happy with my Scratch wedges right now, and at their current price, I can't see a reason to switch, but I do really like the idea behind these wedges. I would be particularly happy if TM used this technology as a platform to offer a new run of wedges each year with a different grind. My thought is that they would always offer the "basic" sole wedge, but each year, or 6 months, offer a new sole configuration. That way, I could buy the right grind for each wedge when they came out and then I'd just be buying new faces. Not sure if I explained that as clearly as I'm thinking it, but I'm in a hurry...off to work!

You did... but why bother? You could find a club builder that could do the grinding for you. Now, that I think about it, you might lose some of the finish. Maybe that's a big deal, maybe it's not (I know Golfworks can fix that... but they're the only ones I know of). Also, if there wasn't a club maker in your area that could do that, it'd be a totally different story...

I could do that, or I could do the grind myself, but then I'm stuck with the grind whether it works for me or not. There's also a large added cost, particularly if I redo the finish. What I am interested in is being able to demo different grinds over time and see what works for me. I would also like to see a major OEM offering all these different possibilities to the average consumer so they can try it and decide, "This grind isn't for me, but I know that next year/season they will be releasing the _____ grind which might be better suited for ____." Most consumers have no concept that the sole of a wedge can be ground or what the purpose would be.

I could do that, or I could do the grind myself, but then I'm stuck with the grind whether it works for me or not. There's also a large added cost, particularly if I redo the finish. What I am interested in is being able to demo different grinds over time and see what works for me. I would also like to see a major OEM offering all these different possibilities to the average consumer so they can try it and decide, "This grind isn't for me, but I know that next year/season they will be releasing the _____ grind which might be better suited for ____." Most consumers have no concept that the sole of a wedge can be ground or what the purpose would be.

Too bad not enough OEMs have that fitting tool like Scratch does. I don't know how accurate it is... most online fittings are ballpark, at best, and I've never owned a Scratch... but it's nice to have a starting point. Like being fitted for a DOG grind- maybe it's the exact grind, but at least you'll know enough to be cognizant of your divots for the next time.

I own 2 Scratch wedges and I think their online fitting is pretty good. I held off for a LONG time (probably 2-3 years) because I wasn't confident in the online fit and I wanted someone to fit me in person. I would still prefer that, but I think the web fit is decent. With the 8620 series, the number of grinds is limited which makes the online fit work a bit better, IMO; as long as you know which of the 3 big categories you're in, you will get the right grind.

I own 2 Scratch wedges and I think their online fitting is pretty good. I held off for a LONG time (probably 2-3 years) because I wasn't confident in the online fit and I wanted someone to fit me in person. I would still prefer that, but I think the web fit is decent. With the 8620 series, the number of grinds is limited which makes the online fit work a bit better, IMO; as long as you know which of the 3 big categories you're in, you will get the right grind.

See? Why can't the other "big boys" do that?

See? Why can't the other "big boys" do that?

IMO, the answer is probably something like this: they don't need to, and it would confuse the consumer/give them one more thing to think about. LOTS of customers are turned off by companies/products that give them too many choices (I find this ridiculous, but it's true). One example is TM's FCT - lots of people say, "Oh that's too much to think about" as if they're going to be quizzed on the settings before they're allowed to hit it. Similarly, when I try to explain bounce to people, I often get 10 words out, their eyes glaze over, they grab the closest wedge and run for the register.

IMO, the answer is probably something like this: they don't need to, and it would confuse the consumer/give them one more thing to think about. LOTS of customers are turned off by companies/products that give them too many choices (I find this ridiculous, but it's true). One example is TM's FCT - lots of people say, "Oh that's too much to think about" as if they're going to be quizzed on the settings before they're allowed to hit it. Similarly, when I try to explain bounce to people, I often get 10 words out, their eyes glaze over, they grab the closest wedge and run for the register.

You might be right there, but if people can't realize that by answering 3 very simple questions they can be accurately be fit for the proper grind then its pure laziness on their part. I have also been through the online fitting with Scratch and think that it is very beneficial. More of the big companies should adopt this policy.

Fairways and Greens

Archived