TESTERS WANTED! ×

Your best golf psychology tips please

After a heck of a lot of debate, I have decided to play this year's club championship. I was debating because I have not played to my best this season and my chronic anxiety issues since this will be the first one I play in without the medication backing me up.

Truth is that I know I am capable of playing well and even winning but I will never give myself a chance if I can't control the pressure.

So I guess this question is for anyone who has ever won under pressure or has been able to conquer their own anxiety. What tip or tips can you give me to beat this anxiety? What can I do to keep my focus on my game and no one else's?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My advice would be to relax and play your own game. Golf is one of the few sports where what anyone else does is irrelevant - it's simply you against the course. Nobody else can affect your score - only you can control the outcome.

With that in mind, play to your strengths but under no circumstances try to hit any shot that is out of your comfort zone. That means play to your known yardages, your preferred shot shape and trajectory.

Once you find out it is a lot easier to play inside your comfort zone rather than trying too hard to reach a level that has you leaking shots, missing fairways and costing you unnecessary strokes, you will probably find your scoring will be a lot better as a result.

A simple thought process is all that is needed - know your game and be yourself. 

My advice would be to relax and play your own game. Golf is one of the few sports where what anyone else does is irrelevant - it's simply you against the course. Nobody else can affect your score - only you can control the outcome.

With that in mind, play to your strengths but under no circumstances try to hit any shot that is out of your comfort zone. That means play to your known yardages, your preferred shot shape and trajectory.

Once you find out it is a lot easier to play inside your comfort zone rather than trying too hard to reach a level that has you leaking shots, missing fairways and costing you unnecessary strokes, you will probably find your scoring will be a lot better as a result.

A simple thought process is all that is needed - know your game and be yourself.

Awesome advice!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Driver:  :cobra-small: F9, Project X Evenflow White T1100, 6.0 

3 wood:  :cobra-small:  F9, Fujikura Atmos blue,

3 hybrid:   :cobra-small:   F7 19.5 degree stiff flex

Irons: 4-pw   :mizuno-small:  JPX 919 KBS C-Taper  Lite shafts

Wedges:   :cobra-small:   King Black 50, 54, 60 degree KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putters:  Odyssey O-Works  1w 34" w/ Superstroke counterbalanced Pistol GT 2.0 grip

I am going to play a practice round in about half hour and I can feel my nerves kicking in 😝😠😠😠 ffs it's just a practice round!!!!

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Get out of your own head.  Forget all the crap going on and just play and try to have fun.  At the end of the day it's just golf.  You're just a guy standing outside with a stick trying to hit a ball.  

I also happen to be paging through Golf magazine right now and they have an article with Patrick Reed about winning and going low.  He's got some decent tips in it if you can find a copy.

- Trust your instincts

- Expect a fight

- There's no such thing as a "good miss"

- It's OK to be a little cocky

- Find something to play for

There are some other tips but they pertain more to his game and those I listed get flushed out a little bit, but I liked those ones for a start.

Last one (just turned the page there is an article from a former SEAL on how to practice)  Remember the acronym SEAL.  Sit down, Eyes closed And Listen to your breath.  The sitting down part might get some funny looks, but this is easy to add to your preshot routing.  Close your eyes, visualize your shot and take a couple breath's.  Then open your eyes, address the ball and execute.  It will help blot out the extra stuff going on around you.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Decide before your round what club to hit off of every tee and the type of shot you are going to hit, so there is no indecisiveness or second guessing yourself as you address the ball.  Also, play with confidence!  Every time I have any thought of "uh oh, I might put this in the water", I duck hook one in there every time.  You know this course well; it's your home course.  You've probably hit every possible shot you could think of already.  Step up to the ball thinking that you are going to hit it right down the middle or right next to the flag.  

I have also struggled with going low under pressure, especially with finishing out a good round, and the piece of advice that I always try to have in my head is that you can never be low enough.  If you are one under through three, force yourself to act like you are 3 over and try to get to 3 under through 9.  Never accept where you are, because the goal should be to go even lower.  If you are holding on to a good round and are close to par midway through the back nine, don't think of just trying to see how you could "escape" the last few holes without anything tragic.  Stick to your game plan and finish strong with authority.  Keep trying to make birdies!

If you find yourself struggling in the first few holes, take a deep breath and realize that you have a lot of golf to be played, and think how awesome it would be to go 2 under on the back nine and stick it to your playing partners who thought you were out of it.  

Also, practice 3-5 footers as much as you can leading up to the tournament, so you have the confidence to make those knee knockers every time.  

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Get out of your own head. Forget all the crap going on and just play and try to have fun. At the end of the day it's just golf. You're just a guy standing outside with a stick trying to hit a ball.

I also happen to be paging through Golf magazine right now and they have an article with Patrick Reed about winning and going low. He's got some decent tips in it if you can find a copy.

- Trust your instincts

- Expect a fight

- There's no such thing as a "good miss"

- It's OK to be a little cocky

- Find something to play for

There are some other tips but they pertain more to his game and those I listed get flushed out a little bit, but I liked those ones for a start.

Last one (just turned the page there is an article from a former SEAL on how to practice) Remember the acronym SEAL. Sit down, Eyes closed And Listen to your breath. The sitting down part might get some funny looks, but this is easy to add to your preshot routing. Close your eyes, visualize your shot and take a couple breath's. Then open your eyes, address the ball and execute. It will help blot out the extra stuff going on around you.

Just read those articles yesterday. Some good tips for the mental side of things.

Also, hold your head high, have good posture, keep your eyes up, and have a good time, smile. Those things, believe it or not, increase your confidence, and reduce anxiety, and help you play better in general. Try it!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I really agree with jpc about being as prepared as possible. Keep a yardage book, write down strategies on each hole and what shot you might hit in a certain spot. That preparation will mean less indecisiveness when it matters.

And during a football game, I let my players have 3 seconds post-play to review that play and then they must focus on the next. Hit your shot, see the outcome, learn from it if necessary, but then forget it. Never let the last shot effect the next one.

Now if only I listened to myself...

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I'm on 17 right now and just having a miserable time. It's unfortunately been like this most of the summer. I am not having fun playing a game that I love or loved. 😕

Great smoke a 2 hybrid to 103 yards. Just missed the green with the sand wedge chip in for birdie

Great smoke a 2 hybrid to 103 yards. Just missed the green with the sand wedge chip in for birdie

What a way to finish. Hopefully you weren't all over the forum during your round. That's one way to distract yourself quickly.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

After a heck of a lot of debate, I have decided to play this year's club championship. I was debating because I have not played to my best this season and my chronic anxiety issues since this will be the first one I play in without the medication backing me up.

Truth is that I know I am capable of playing well and even winning but I will never give myself a chance if I can't control the pressure.

So I guess this question is for anyone who has ever won under pressure or has been able to conquer their own anxiety. What tip or tips can you give me to beat this anxiety? What can I do to keep my focus on my game and no one else's?

Relax man. It's just golf. Nobody else even cares what you shoot. Embrace the internal struggle and make it a point to focus on something positive on each shot, like aiming very specifically at a target and holding that picture in your mind as you swing. Maybe even keep a little sheet and make a check mark every time you play a shot with the proper focus instead of getting worried or anxious about results. If you make sure you win all of those little self battles one shot at a time you will be pleasantly surprised with your score at the end.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

After reading all the good comments to this point the only thing I would add is to stick to your normal routine. Don't show up at the course earlier than usual and start doing things you normally don't do. In two weeks we have our senior club championship. In years past I see guys show up earlier than they usually do, hitting large buckets of balls, in the prcatice bunkers, and putting up a storm. During the year all I ever see these guys do is hit a few shots on the range and a few putts. But they for some reason they change it all up come championship rounds and end up tying themselves in knots. Keep it simple do your thing. One other thing that I do is, I never watch anyone in my group swing, I like to try and keep my own tempo in my head and sometimes watching others swing tends to mess with me. Good luck, hope you work through this and play well.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

30 second swing is an interesting book on the mental side of golf. I struggle with this 'part' of my game as well.

As my instructor would repeated tell me 'play boring golf' meaning play the shots and clubs you're best at rather then the heroic drives than never happen.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'm a nervous nelly when I play with others, but I play so well when I'm by myself. My nerves always get the best of me for some reason. I feel like I rush everything so others aren't waiting on me. It sucks.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

It's a little tougher for me than most since I have chronic anxiety my system is always nervous so it gets amplified here. I am here now and just about to tee off. I'll keep everyone posted.

Finished with a 78. No double bogeys. Played well. Nearly got a hole in one on 16. Hit it about 3 feet behind hole and spun it back to about 6 inches. As it stands I would be 5th. Leader has 71. 2 guys at 74. 1 guy at 76 1 guy at 77.

Finished with a 78. No double bogeys. Played well. Nearly got a hole in one on 16. Hit it about 3 feet behind hole and spun it back to about 6 inches. As it stands I would be 5th. Leader has 71. 2 guys at 74. 1 guy at 76 1 guy at 77.

Good for you!

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

For me it's always been to get over poor shots quickly. If you carry that baggage with you over to the next shot the cycle will continue.

It's vital to forget about it as quickly as possible and then move on.

Mizuno MP-25 irons, R/H, N.S. Pro 950GH regular shafts

Cobra King LTD 8.5 degrees driver, R/H stiff Aldila Rogue shaft

Titleist 3-wood 915F, 15 degrees, Diamana stiff flex shaft

Queensland, Australia

Handicap 5

www.HittingItSolid.com

The Perfect Golf Swing

favicon-96x96.png

I'm reading an interesting book on the topic called 30 sec swing.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I don't get bothered during a casual round with friends or playing by myself, but when it matters, I get all twisted up inside my head. I have been a favorite to win our club championship for several years, but my game goes to pot because I can't keep my stuff together. Even if I play well the first day and put myself in contention, the second day usually goes awry.

I learned how to meditate this summer, something suggested in several mental game books I have read. Nothing fancy, just 10-15 minutes a day clearing my mind. I meditated before both rounds of our club championship this year and man what a difference. I felt calm both days, even when I hit shots that didn't go where I wanted. It is amazing what you can do when you get the 6 inches between your ears out of the way of your game.

For me it's always been to get over poor shots quickly. If you carry that baggage with you over to the next shot the cycle will continue.

It's vital to forget about it as quickly as possible and then move on.

"Selective amnesia" remember the good, forget the bad

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The worst thing that happens to me is when someone says, this is your hole. I'm guaranteed to jack it up. I'll pull or push fade it OB.

Like the past charity scramble I played. My favorite hole #7 I've aced it and it's usually a birdie hole. A guy says "hey, this is Alan's hole". So I tee off and push it right into the creek. Never done that before.

My best advice that I use for me is:

Aim Small Miss Small

&

Set it and forget it

Just pick your target aim your shot. Don't stand over the ball to long and let er' rip.

^^^ that last one ^^^

(..after you've selected your club and.visualizes your shot and selected your aim line, then...)

Rehearsal swing .. *NOT a "practice" swing! .. literally rehearse what you want to execute next .. brush the grass, rehearsal swing .. brush the grass .. step in and go!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

"The golf swing is like sex. You can't be thinking about the mechanics of the act while you are performing."

- Dave Hill

The instructor Shawn Clement (whose videos are often overly long but still have some golden tips in there) has a whole series about being outwardly focused. You can't think about doing something in the swing while it is happening (inwardly focused). You need to think about your target (even at the expense of the ball) and your body knows how to move.

Often when you are struggling you get too fixated on making the correct mechanical moves in the swing. Spieth struggled with this as well. He said he was try to make the perfect putting stroke every time. Too mechanical. Too inwardly focused. Then he said he just got out there and started thinking about the hole and guess what - his putting improved.

Clement has a fun drill... Pick a target and throw your club at it using a golf swing. Literally try to throw and hit a target with a club. If you video your hurls, I bet you have great positions through "impact" because your brain knows how to coordinate your body to throw an object. Think about the target.

edit* - not sure the throwing club drill is unique to Clement.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Awesome advice

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

This is what most golfers do stick to your game and you'll be OK.IMG_2407.PNG