TESTERS WANTED! ×

Stupid pin placements

Sluggo42

So the greens where I played Wednesday were playing like glass. I mean fast only described the slowest of them. And, they didn't really hold well either unless you hit a wet section.

Regardless you get the point..- fast!

So, that's fine, except for the rocket surgeons who chose the pin placements.

It's like they picked the steepest point on each green and put the flag there. You could be below the flag, roll it up to within 1" of the cup, and it would roll back to you.

If you were above the flag, and didn't sink it, buhbye. It would roll off the green sometimes.

What's the point of that?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Go to a tour event. That's the norm for them. That and so hidden that it doesn't look like the flag is even on the green.

It's stupid to do that to us though. It slows down play.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

We have a course near me that I don't play very often for this very reason. I don't think the grounds crew understands these things and it's only a muni so I don't believe they have any illusions of being a championship course.

It's a tight track with lots of trees and average golfers will have a hard time doing well even if ever pin is in the dead center of the green. But for some reason, they love to plop those pins within a few paces of the edge of the green or directly on slopes. It makes no sense.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

So the greens where I played Wednesday were playing like glass. I mean fast only described the slowest of them. And, they didn't really hold well either unless you hit a wet section.

Regardless you get the point..- fast!

So, that's fine, except for the rocket surgeons who chose the pin placements.

It's like they picked the steepest point on each green and put the flag there. You could be below the flag, roll it up to within 1" of the cup, and it would roll back to you.

If you were above the flag, and didn't sink it, buhbye. It would roll off the green sometimes.

What's the point of that?

Couple of things could be in play here. This is based on a conversation with our Super.

August can be tough on greens. We've had a lot of rain this month. So they've been forced to put pins on the higher spots as they dry the fastest and avoids less wear in tear in low spots that collect more water.

Also all the college students have gone back to school. So there are some new hires who while he trains them on how and why to put pins, don't always grasp it. In probably 80% of the time, they aren't golfers, so they can't really look at it critically like we would and know if it's a good spot or not.

In some extreme cases our Super has gone out late in the morning with then and changed some that he just knew would be trouble.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I asked our Super last week if him and his wife were fighting. There was some pins that were just set out of anger.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

... One of the courses in my normal rotation has a pro/low index money game on Wednesdays. They put the pins in impossible positions. And while that might be fun for the 20 or so playing late afternoon, all the other muni golfers suffer the consequences all day long. Pins on slopes, which there are plenty of, as well as near fall offs and edges near water. Played with a guy and his wife/son playing there the first time for his birthday and they drove down about 30 miles to play it on a recommendation of a friend. He normally shoots in the mid 90's and struggled to shoot a 112. He hated the course but it is exactly the kind of course he should love with normal pin placements. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Couple of things could be in play here. This is based on a conversation with our Super.

August can be tough on greens. We've had a lot of rain this month. So they've been forced to put pins on the higher spots as they dry the fastest and avoids less wear in tear in low spots that collect more water.

Also all the college students have gone back to school. So there are some new hires who while he trains them on how and why to put pins, don't always grasp it. In probably 80% of the time, they aren't golfers, so they can't really look at it critically like we would and know if it's a good spot or not.

In some extreme cases our Super has gone out late in the morning with then and changed some that he just knew would be trouble.

I believe this is the cause for bad pin placement on most cases.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

The super at the private course I work at would absolutely chew someone's @$$ for a pin placement either on a slope, or too close to the edge. We have to keep it AT LEAST a flagstick away from the collar/fringe and carry a ball with us in case we have any questionable placements on a slope (especially our #6 green).

Of course this is a private course I'm speaking of, so we have year-round guys who take care of changing cups and no new hires even after the summer help leaves.

The end of the season does get tricky with pin placements though, especially when you're not seeing much rain in August; greens are drying out and burning up from foot traffic, and old plugs aren't re-rooting, so sometimes you're forced to put a pin somewhere that you normally wouldn't.

Either way, I know how big of a pain in the butt it can be to get to those locations, and I know all to well the struggle of changing cups for the first handful of times.

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

The super at the private course I work at would absolutely chew someone's @$$ for a pin placement either on a slope, or too close to the edge. We have to keep it AT LEAST a flagstick away from the collar/fringe and carry a ball with us in case we have any questionable placements on a slope (especially our #6 green).

Of course this is a private course I'm speaking of, so we have year-round guys who take care of changing cups and no new hires even after the summer help leaves.

The end of the season does get tricky with pin placements though, especially when you're not seeing much rain in August; greens are drying out and burning up from foot traffic, and old plugs aren't re-rooting, so sometimes you're forced to put a pin somewhere that you normally wouldn't.

Either way, I know how big of a pain in the butt it can be to get to those locations, and I know all to well the struggle of changing cups for the first handful of times.

There is definitely a difference between private & public courses. In most cases you get what u pay for. I'm not saying public r bad but there is a difference sometimes because of a $$$.

Some of my favorite courses R public.

Rick

Left Hand, 

There is definitely a difference between private & public courses. In most cases you get what u pay for. I'm not saying public r bad but there is a difference sometimes because of a $$$.

And there's some REALLY nice public courses that are really well maintained. Those are just a little pricier than other public/muni courses

Exactly. Another thing is tee marker placement. The other day, I just watch a kid throw down the tee markers in random spots, side slopes and everything.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Exactly. Another thing is tee marker placement. The other day, I just watch a kid throw down the tee markers in random spots, side slopes and everything.

That's my favorite! Again, my super is EXTREMELY anal about tee marker placement, and then I go to a public course that has tee markers aiming to the trees on the left, into the pond, etc. It doesn't bother me, but I can understand why it might bother someone else

Tee marker misplacement is just as annoying as pin placement. Anyone can fight that out. There's a couple holes here that the tee markers are never right, unless u want to end up in a retention pond.

Rick

Left Hand, 

And there's some REALLY nice public courses that are really well maintained. Those are just a little pricier than other public/muni courses

There's a public in Danbury CT. that is better than a few private in CT.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Usually tough pin placements are fair game at private clubs because members know the greens.

My course will always have a few tough ones, close to ridges or Hazzard's mixed in. It's not so bad when you play there 40 or 50 times a year. In fact it makes it fun because familiar holes have to be played differently based on the pin placements.

On a public or daily fee course it's a joke.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The course I play is always got tough pin placements. The greens are fairly large and have severe elevation changes. The pins are sitting on the crest of hills, tucked behind bunkers or on side slopes. I swear some days all they are missing are a few windmills and clown heads. Thing is it's young kids placing the pins that don't even play they just work there. I guess they think it should be golf plus goofy miniputt. Anyhow the kids go back to school soon so all will be well.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

I am all for tough pin placements as long as they are fair. It makes me a better player if I can't fire at pins all day. Pins too close to the edge of the green or on a severe slope? That's a big no no...

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

There are a few young guys that are new at my course and you can always tell when they are the ones moving the pins because they end up on crazy slopes....they also tend to create "volcano cups" by not getting the area level when they cut the new hole...so you end up having putts get right to hole and then roll backwards or to either side. It can be very infuriating.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

There are a few young guys that are new at my course and you can always tell when they are the ones moving the pins because they end up on crazy slopes....they also tend to create "volcano cups" by not getting the area level when they cut the new hole...so you end up having putts get right to hole and then roll backwards or to either side. It can be very infuriating.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Oh man the dreaded "Volcano cup". One of my worst pet peeves. No reason for that.

We r usually the first group out in the morning so we deal with it 1st.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Another issue our Super has to deal with. We have extremely small greens. Money was running out during construction so one of the areas they decided to save was the size of the greens to cut down on maintenance cost.

So combine that with all the unrepaired ball marks, sometimes he pulls his hair out trying to find suitable locations for pins

Working at a golf course the thing I despise most about really dumb or tough pin placements is how it affect pace of play. Especially at a busy course where there are a lot of weekend warriors have the course set up really tough only slows things down and upsets ppl more.

It's far nicer when it's set up on the easier side so players enjoy themselves more and the pace keeps up. Even if you can fix bad golf, you can still try to make it easier.

From a playing perspective I don't mind tough pins, but agree with a lot of you where there are some pins that truly aren't fair...however that's golf! And in the end if it helps me become a better golfer I'll take the pain of them in the short term and hopefully get better in the long run.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

What's all this pin talk; are you guys bowling? The word "pin" appears nowhere in the USGA Rule Book. The object you fellas are ranting about is referred to as a flagstick.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

What's all this pin talk; are you guys bowling? The word "pin" appears nowhere in the USGA Rule Book. The object you fellas are ranting about is referred to as a flagstick.

Pin is easier to type on my phone than flagstick or hole location. Ha

I think I read a story about this once and where the tne term pin came from. But I can't recall where it was.

I've had a few conversations with my pro about this. The most common reason for this is that the guy cutting the pins is not a golfer and isn't paying attention and/or doesn't care. Pins on knobs, pins 4 feet off a green those are the things that indicate it.

Though every once in awhile the pro knows a group outing or tourney is coming ans he decides to torture them for a day.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I've had a few conversations with my pro about this. The most common reason for this is that the guy cutting the pins is not a golfer and isn't paying attention and/or doesn't care. Pins on knobs, pins 4 feet off a green those are the things that indicate it.

Though every once in awhile the pro knows a group outing or tourney is coming ans he decides to torture them for a day.

Yes that's called the Superintendent's Revenge.  I used to set up a few of those during my days working on the grounds crew at ANCC.

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

I ve heard the "Super's Revenge" term B4 and it's true.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Archived