Sluggo42

Stupid pin placements

I have set pins for several tours including Majors. Every tour will issue guidelines for pin placements and for many events, will supervise the placement of dots at the beginning of the week. While there are no specific rules, they would never allow a position where the ball rolls up to the hole and then rolls back. It happened once in modern history (US Open at Shinnecock) because the greens became incredibly dry and the governing bodies have never forgotten it.

A good rule of thumb for your club should be; 6 easy, 6 medium, 6 hard - 6 front, 6 middle, 6 back - 9 right, 9 left. Easy is considered, away from hazards and 15-20 of relatively flat ground around the pin. Medium is usually flat, the length of the flagstick around the hole. Hard is near a hazard, edge of the green or only 3 feet of flat surface around the hole (about the length of the cup cutter).

It is almost impossible to do this as you change the cups, it takes planning. If your superintendent doesn't have preplanned pin placements, I suggest that you and your buddies create one for him/her using the guidelines above. If they don't use it, then you have good reason to ****** and I would loudly.

Thanks - nice summary - fortunately my club follows exactly this process.

One small correction - everyone remembers the Shinnecock fiasco but there was an absolute train wreck in the second round on 18 at the Olympic club. Also there was the ridiculous year where they couldn't mow the 18th green at Southern Hills - that's the one that led to several short 3 putts there on the last day because they felt safe putting the pin on a ridge. Oops!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

One small correction - everyone remembers the Shinnecock fiasco but there was an absolute train wreck in the second round on 18 at the Olympic club. Also there was the ridiculous year where they couldn't mow the 18th green at Southern Hills - that's the one that led to several short 3 putts there on the last day because they felt safe putting the pin on a ridge. Oops!

yup, remember Olympic Club all right. That was equally as bad as Shinnecock.

It is a precise balancing act that they don't discuss enough on TV. Often, the plan is to Triple mow greens, roll and add very little water during each tournament day. They then back away from that mowing some greens only 1 or 2 times, even 0 to try and get every green exactly the same. But like I said, the Stimp Meter is a very imperfect science, which is why Pelz made his device.

Another side note. TV broadcasters often get the concept of rolling greens wrong. It is not to speed up the green but to smooth them out. The speed gained after rolling is lost before the round starts. 

• Like 3

It is a precise balancing act that they don't discuss enough on TV. Often, the plan is to Triple mow greens, roll and add very little water during each tournament day. They then back away from that mowing some greens only 1 or 2 times, even 0 to try and get every green exactly the same. But like I said, the Stimp Meter is a very imperfect science, which is why Pelz made his device.

Another side note. TV broadcasters often get the concept of rolling greens wrong. It is not to speed up the green but to smooth them out. The speed gained after rolling is lost before the round starts.

Excellent write up. Especially about rolling the greens.

Call me crazy but... I like tough flag placements! Putting is usually boring, if I have to aim 45* in the wrong direction, that's fun!

Ok crazy Do you know what's not boring? Running in birdies.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

There is one course I played last summer I will never forget, the pin placement was front green on a pretty heavy slope, if you didnt drain it, it would roll right back and even further away. I watched a playing partner 6 putt... Was the most frustrating thing

• Like 1