Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

Any club you won't buy used?

Fivesome

For those of you that do buy used clubs, is there a particular club (wedge, putter) that you won't buy used?  If not, is there a certain quality you won't go below, nothing worse than very good?

Asking because a friend is getting ready to outfit his son with a new to him set and wondering if there is anything to avoid.

Thanks.

I'll buy anything used. I have no limits. Just make sure you get to see plenty of pictures before making the purchase.

If your friend's son is brand new to the game, you can keep your quality standards fairly low because he's going to beat them up anyway. Just make sure they fit him so the money isn't wasted on improper clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I think it depends on where I'm buying from. If it is in person there is nothing I won't buy.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'll buy anything used. I have no limits. Just make sure you get to see plenty of pictures before making the purchase.

If your friend's son is brand new to the game, you can keep your quality standards fairly low because he's going to beat them up anyway. Just make sure they fit him so the money isn't wasted on improper clubs.

How do you make sure they fit him if you're buying used?

How do you make sure they fit him if you're buying used?

Well you've gotta get a feel for his size. Get as much as you can from static fittings then ask the sellers what size they've got. Besides that, you can look for something close to what he needs and pay for a proper fitting to get the clubs adjusted to match what he truly needs.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Wedges for sure.  Condition is dependent, IMO.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Any used "long drive" type head ie Bang or Krank--- Most of these used have been hit so much the head is usually dead no spring left. If someone had it that was a professional long drive guy it is used up and from what I have seen with amateur golfers that have them they are usually very muscular guys and hit them to death on the range with range rocks.

As we say in the golf repair business "The head is dead" LOL had to throw that dirty laundry line in that

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Wedges.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

All depends on just how "used" the club is.  I normally won't buy used wedges.  Iron's have to still have plenty of grooves left (nor worn spots), Driver's have to look new, and no sky marks on 3 woods.  I'll buy putters that are "used" if it fits my eye and it has a good feel (to me).  I've purchased a ton of used putters over the years.........but then again, I'm a bit of a HO.

Depends on from where.  I have a shop near me that deals in a lot of used clubs and I will buy anything from there. From a major OEM used site like callaway or taylormade preowned I will buy anything since they do a good job of rating equipment.  From places like 2nd swing or 3 balls I generally limit myself to woods and putters.   From other sites like ebay or golf forums it will generally be only putters

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Any used "long drive" type head ie Bang or Krank--- Most of these used have been hit so much the head is usually dead no spring left. If someone had it that was a professional long drive guy it is used up and from what I have seen with amateur golfers that have them they are usually very muscular guys and hit them to death on the range with range rocks.

As we say in the golf repair business "The head is dead" LOL had to throw that dirty laundry line in that

I have been wondering for sometime if metalwoods could lose their "pop"---is that common with used drivers?

Almost every club I have ever bought has been pre-scratched. Seeing as though I'm a newbie, I thought that might be the best way forward.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Like most on here i usually avoid buying used wedges. Obviously i don't want a worn down club, but also who knows if it was bent, cut down, extended etc. Usually eBay is my go to as I know what I need but don't have the money to get fitted. In the last year I've picked up a new (for me) Cobra 5 wood, Oddesey #7, and Adams hybrid. All for under $40 each.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I hear you on the wedges but a thing I have started to do is buy my local PGA Super Store's demo wedges. Since there isnt any sand or grass to hit off of the faces almost always look and play great. 

The other reason is people dont hit a ton of wedges in a simulator. I bought 2 Ping Glides for 45 dollars each. They looked beat up but i could tell it was about 10 ball marks on the face. I hit them with a wet rag. They were good as new

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

As a beginner there wasnt anything I wouldnt buy used to save a couple bucks.  Now that I've gotten better, I wont even look at used wedges or putters.  

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

When I was younger and poorer I used to buy everything pre loved but now I am lucky enough to be able to buy all new. I did learn over the years to be patient and triple check photos for quality of the goods online. It is so much better if you can see and try the clubs in person but you can get great stuff if you are careful.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

When I was younger and poorer I used to buy everything pre loved but now I am lucky enough to be able to buy all new. I did learn over the years to be patient and triple check photos for quality of the goods online. It is so much better if you can see and try the clubs in person but you can get great stuff if you are careful.

To that end, there's the risk reward. You can usually find a better deal online but nothing beats hitting it in real life.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Wedges and forged irons for sure. Buying used wedges is like buying an empty bottle of water. Same with forged irons.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Certain clubs and shafts have higher than expected failure rates...So avoid these...

- TM irons with 'face slots' (Elastomer material in slots comes loose, and the slotted faces tend to collapse)

- TM M1/M2 Metalwoods (Prone to paint cracking, ridge forming, face cracking)

- KBS shafts (Bending at the hosel is common and not always visible)

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to try to buy wedges new, just because they wear down so quickly. Everything else however, I have no qualms finding out on eBay or the used rack at golf stores. 

What's in My Bag?

Driver: Cobra F6

Fairway: Cobra F6 3/4

Hybrids: Wilson Staff D100ES (4 & 5)

Irons: Wilson Staff C200 (6i to GW)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX (52, 56, and 60°)

Putter: Happy Putter Blade

Archived