Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Chose your ball wisely...

Okay this is a long one, but I really think everyone should read this. It might save you some strokes and a few bucks... got your attention??? Good!

I usually play Pro V1s, Chrome Softs, or TP5s, everyone knows they are some of the best high performance balls out there, and I get a wicked deal on them at the course that I work at.

However yesterday I came across 2 sleeves of Taylormade Burner golf balls, they boasted distance but with soft feel (60 compression rating) and high launch. Now a bit about me: I am by no means a long hitter, (7 iron goes 164) and I also have very low ball flight with not a lot of spin. I believe that being able to keep a ball on a green is more important than a couple yards, so I would never consider using a distance ball, but the high launch claim made me want to try them out. They looked like a cheaper option at the moment, as opposed to getting my entire set custom fit (which will happen, just not today.) I decided to play 2 different balls in a practice round that day. Pro V1 vs Burner. And let me tell you the difference was incredible, but not in the way that I expected.

The first thing I noticed is that they weren't lying about the high launch, and I loved it! My 9 iron shot with the Pro V1 came out lower than "average," but normal for me, hit the green and rolled out about 3 yards. An regular shot for me. The 9 iron with the Burner from the same lie came out SO much higher, a couple yards further, but rolled out to about the same distance as the Pro V1. Titleist boats "drop and stop" technology in their balls and I would have never thought that a distance ball would have had the same (if not better) result, life is full of surprises I suppose.

As my round continued I noticed quite a few favourable characteristics in the Burner that made me reconsider the ball I normally play:

-about 5 yards more distance on all full shots

-higher ball flight

-softer landing

-same amount of rollout as the Pro V1 on full iron shots

-softer feeling overall (mostly likely due to the low compression rating)

However I also noticed that on greenside shots and shots within 100 yards, the spin just wasn't there. Now this was to be expected as the Pro V1 has a softer urethane cover that most top of the line balls have, while the Burner has a harder isomer cover.

This experience made me think about custom ball fitting, I believe Bridgestone has something like this? I think the best ball for me would be a high launching, low compression ball, but with a softer urethane cover, does anyone know a ball like this on the market?

Anyways, I hope this makes you all think about the ball you are playing. Top of the line balls are expensive, but might not be the best ball for your game.

The name don't lie...

Leaving tap ins short since '00

You are 100% correct that a ball has to be fitted to one's game and that has became a new science in today's game. Before Titleist ever said it I always believed in working with a ball from the green back. Now I have sorta a quirky self built swing because it is an anti hook swing. I swing outside in with the face open about 2* at impact. I also trap the ball at impact and really hit down and through with the irons. With a 8 iron down I can spin the crap out  of any ball Top Flites and range rocks included. Now remember I am an old timer so I taught myself that method back in the persimmon and balata days. I did not switch to metals until 02 or so and graphite shafts until 04.I was proudly the last man standing on the SE Mini Tours with real lumber and steel in the bag.

Over the years I found out the only way I could control the metal driver was to keep it low. I found that out experimenting on my own and did not know why. Now I am self admitted hard headed old school. A pro friend of mine kept telling me about more side spin with the metal driver. He ended up with his own launch monitor and talked me into working on it. I found out what was going on. When I hit the driver high I put awful high spin rate on it and side spin. He was a Titleist Fitter so he set my 915 up for me to quieten the spin rate. He said in all the years he had been involved with the game he had never seen anyone with so much side spin on a driver. We also found out through these tests that the Pro V 1 was the best ball for me which I was playing anyhow. I made a comment earlier on the Bridgestone ball thread about the B330 series balls spun too much for me.

I will tell you something else I have learned over the years. Different balls react differently with different clubs as in type brand and style. A soft ball like a Chrome Soft reacts well for me on a hot faced iron like my 2013 X forged Callys but feels like mush on my 1980 Macgregors I also loose distance on a softer ball with the driver.

Remember I said about the green back and this ties in with the choice of equipment too. I use basically old school non insert non milled faced putters. On those again a lot of soft balls seem like mush to me and some of the newer balls like the Duo are clicky and hop off the face. For me nothing feels or Putts like a Pro V. 

I guess what I was trying to say is even if I am hard headed old school I will admit that ball fitting is an important thing to do to optimize one's game. Swing , AOA and type of equipment used are all factors in a good ball selection

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

You said it all bogey master "from inside 100 yards the spin wasn't there for me."

That means - next!!!!!

Alway go the other way around and start from inside 100.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

You said it all bogey master "from inside 100 yards the spin wasn't there for me."

That means - next!!!!!

Alway go the other way around and start from inside 100.

I agree with that, which is why I am currently searching for a ball like the Burner but that spins more on short shorts, possibly the Taylormade Project (a)?

The name don't lie...

Leaving tap ins short since '00

Yeah the burner is never going to give you want inside 100y. Two-piece balls are meant for hitting it straight and long. The "soft" feel they advertise will never feel as soft as a true quality ball three-piece ball.

While it's true that any ball can be spun, balls like the burner are going to have trouble holding greens consistently. The three-piece balls tend to be on the pricier side but you can find bargains on the B330 series or the Callaway Chrome models. Also, you can try refurbished balls to save money while still getting a very playable ball. The only thing you give up with those is a few points of appearance but still get all the benefits you need within 100

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Isn't the 2017 prov1x supposed to fly higher and spin more than the prov1, but not when you get right around the greens because the cover is softer in the prov1?

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

However yesterday I came across 2 sleeves of Taylormade Burner golf balls, they boasted distance but with soft feel (60 compression rating) and high launch. Now a bit about me: I am by no means a long hitter, (7 iron goes 164) and I also have very low ball flight with not a lot of spin. I believe that being able to keep a ball on a green is more important than a couple yards, so I would never consider using a distance ball, but the high launch claim made me want to try them out. They looked like a cheaper option at the moment, as opposed to getting my entire set custom fit (which will happen, just not today.) I decided to play 2 different balls in a practice round that day. Pro V1 vs Burner. And let me tell you the difference was incredible, but not in the way that I expected.

The first thing I noticed is that they weren't lying about the high launch, and I loved it! My 9 iron shot with the Pro V1 came out lower than "average," but normal for me, hit the green and rolled out about 3 yards. An regular shot for me. The 9 iron with the Burner from the same lie came out SO much higher, a couple yards further, but rolled out to about the same distance as the Pro V1. 

However I also noticed that on greenside shots and shots within 100 yards, the spin just wasn't there. Now this was to be expected as the Pro V1 has a softer urethane cover that most top of the line balls have, while the Burner has a harder isomer cover.

... You sound like a perfect candidate for the TP5x. It produces a higher trajectory and is a little longer for me off the driver and especially mid to long irons. I had been playing the Z Star for years but made the switch this season to the TP5x. Of course like most premium urethane covered balls, it is excellent from 100 yds in. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I was a ProV guy for years.  Then when they were having durability issues a few years back I started experimenting.  I first went to the B330s.  Then went to the B330RX.  I liked both balls a lot.
​When the Chrome Soft came out I switched over to them.  Gives me everything I want both off the tee and around the greens.
I played a round of golf this Spring at the University of Florida.  They had TM Tour Preferred balls so I gave them a try.  It's a firmer feeling ball than the Chrome Soft but I was probably a half club longer and they stopped pretty well on the green.  I found a box of them at our local outlet mall golf store (I'm in Hilton Head SC) and bought a dozen.  Great ball at a very good price - although they may be last years model (?) so could be harder to find.  I really want to try the TP5x next.

Another good, cheap(er) ball that I've found is the Srixon QStar Tour.  Great performance for a good price.
​And in the winters, when I'm just out screwing around but still want to play, I will buy some cheap, Wilson DUO's.  Heck of a ball for the money and nice and soft for the cooler winter months.

I have been a Prov player for years but have just bought a dozen TP5X balls to try. They have been great and I was considering changing to them but then our pro have me a couple of Oncore Elixers to try. I love them!! The feel for me is great, they have really good durability for me, I get good spin around the green and putting feels wonderful. I now have to find someone who stocks them in NZ.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

I've been testing balls next to the vice pro+ for the last two months to see if it's worth paying a premium for me.

ProV and TP5x just didn't do it for me. The Pro+ feels just as good on and around the green, but seems to spin sideways less, or I'm just psyching myself out because they're so expensive lol.

Last round I switched to Chrome softs at the turn and wow. Seems to check every box for me. I'm not looking for crazy distance, I just want to be straight, and be able to control the spin. I'm going to keep trying others, some z-stars and the new Tour Bs, but the Chrome Soft is in the lead for sure. It was close between the Vice Pro+, but I feel like I have some extra control with the Callaway

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I've been a Pro V1 guy forever but this spring I was given a box of TP5X and they are a very good ball. They do everything the Pro V does and am seriously considering a switch. I've also tried several of the soft balls Titliest trusoft, Chrome soft, but for some reason or other they just don't work for me. I think it is a sound thing. I just like that click at impact rather than a dull thud. Also I like a ball that spins and the Pro V and TP5X certainly have that going for them. Like some others have said here control inside 100 yards is what it's all about. A distance ball no matter how soft they claim it to will never spin enough to give you that green side control to score consistently well.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

I've found two balls that I fell in love with this season. I am on a budget and really can't afford pro v's or other top tier and honestly when I do find the odd one in the woods and use it I don't notice a massive difference. The two balls that I have used this season and had the most success with especially with my scoring clubs has been the Srixon Q star tour (39.99 Canadian) although I do get a deal from the course which makes them cheaper

And my honest go to ball Nike RZN White, which if you can find them they are super cheap, but unfortunately stock isn't in abundance hence why the Srixon is there as my back up.

Both I found really consistent and predictable. I really can't say enough good things about them while I've been using them.

As always it for everyone, but definitely suit my game to a tee!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I'm suppose I'm not like most players in this thread. I'll play many different balls and get the same performance and shoot the same scores regardless. For example I play several balls.... PV, Chromesoft, Snell, MG Tour, TP5, and a few others. Just depends on the day. I have quite a selection in my inventory. Recently I shot one of lowest rounds of the year (2-over) with the MG Tour. Next time out I might have played a ChromeSoft or a Snell and shot a 75-78. I also played a Wilson Duo-U a while back and carded a mid-70's round. I mostly score from 75-80 but rarely above 80. My must have criteria is a urethane cover. After that I don't see any different results really. I suppose my game just isn't as sensitive as most people. As long as I'm playing a urethane cover ball and striking the ball well I can play and compete with most people. (except Stu, Rev, Chisag, etc, etc.)  Without striking the ball well it doesn't matter what I'm playing. Poor ball striking = poor results. I've never been uncompetitive because I played an MG and the other guy played a PV or some similar ball. Additionally and importantly; I think the type of greens you're playing makes an even bigger difference. ie... type of grass and the cut. I try to get around and play many different courses in my area besides just my home course all the time. Each of these courses have different greens of one degree or another. Perhaps I should pay more attention to that and experiment with different balls for that fact alone. There, I might really notice a difference.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Thanks Shank. Been busy of late working on many projects. Goofing off this morning however.  :D

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Duo-u. Great ball, good price. It may be the softest urethane covered ball.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I've been testing balls next to the vice pro+ for the last two months to see if it's worth paying a premium for me.

ProV and TP5x just didn't do it for me. The Pro+ feels just as good on and around the green, but seems to spin sideways less, or I'm just psyching myself out because they're so expensive lol.

Last round I switched to Chrome softs at the turn and wow. Seems to check every box for me. I'm not looking for crazy distance, I just want to be straight, and be able to control the spin. I'm going to keep trying others, some z-stars and the new Tour Bs, but the Chrome Soft is in the lead for sure. It was close between the Vice Pro+, but I feel like I have some extra control with the Callaway

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I managed to play nine with a Chrome Soft today and I am sold!! It felt great with every club and was longer than the Oncore. I too felt like I had much better control with it and it spun well when chipping.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Isn't the 2017 prov1x supposed to fly higher and spin more than the prov1, but not when you get right around the greens because the cover is softer in the prov1?

That's a misnomer that has been making the rounds this year.  The truth is the X still flies higher and the V still has more spin.  It's just that the difference in both characteristics has been narrowed a bit, to give each ball a bit more of what the other has, but they have not crossed lines.   

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Good topic! I'm sort of in a similar spot as Bogey Master: prefer a softer feeling ball; not looking for a "distance" ball but do not want to lose distance; most important feature greenside control. 

The Chrome Soft appears to be a popular choice. 

@yungkory - please update us with your impressions after you've had a chance to play them .. thx!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

That's a misnomer that has been making the rounds this year.  The truth is the X still flies higher and the V still has more spin.  It's just that the difference in both characteristics has been narrowed a bit, to give each ball a bit more of what the other has, but they have not crossed lines.   

I was under the impression that since the x has the lower compression rating, it flies higher and spins more on full shots, but then around the green, due to the softer cover of the v1, just around the greens, the v1 spins more.  

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking of trying some of those Callaway super hot 70 balls for this Fall.  15 pack for $27.99 at Dick's.   Anyone on here give these a go yet?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I am in the same category as Plaid.  Doesn't really matter what ball I use and I will still shoot about the same.  All I have to do is adjust to the greenside spin or lack thereof.  Not that big of a deal.  What matters to me the most is the feel.  I have to find my Goldilocks zone.  Some are too soft and some are too firm.  Finding the one that feels just right is a challenge.  Right now, that is the Pro V1.  

a. Iron specs: Mizuno MP-33, Dynamic Gold R300, 2* upright, standard length

b. Ping G, 10.5*, standard length, regular Alta shaft

c. Dexterity: right-handed

d. Alabama USA

e. 7 handicap

Archived