#17 PlaidJacket

PlaidJacket

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,127 posts
  • LocationW. Texas
  • Handicap:62

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:27 PM

Thanks Shank. Been busy of late working on many projects. Goofing off this morning however.  :D

My  :wilson_staff_small:  bag currently includes:    TWGT 771CSI 4i - PW and TWGT PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

TM SLDR 14° D, TWGT 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Edel Willimette w/SuperStroke Slim

#18 AH1980MN

AH1980MN

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis burbs, Minnesota

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:59 PM

Duo-u. Great ball, good price. It may be the softest urethane covered ball.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

#19 Nunfa0

Nunfa0

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Handicap:14

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:47 AM

I've been testing balls next to the vice pro+ for the last two months to see if it's worth paying a premium for me.

ProV and TP5x just didn't do it for me. The Pro+ feels just as good on and around the green, but seems to spin sideways less, or I'm just psyching myself out because they're so expensive lol.

Last round I switched to Chrome softs at the turn and wow. Seems to check every box for me. I'm not looking for crazy distance, I just want to be straight, and be able to control the spin. I'm going to keep trying others, some z-stars and the new Tour Bs, but the Chrome Soft is in the lead for sure. It was close between the Vice Pro+, but I feel like I have some extra control with the Callaway

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I managed to play nine with a Chrome Soft today and I am sold!! It felt great with every club and was longer than the Oncore. I too felt like I had much better control with it and it spun well when chipping.

Driver  Titleist 915 D2 Reg shaft

Fairway wood  Ping G 3 wood reg shaft

Hybrid  Taylormade M1 19 degree reg shaft Fujikura

Irons   Mizuno JPX900 Hotmetals XP95 R300 shafts (3 degrees upright)

Wedges   Titleist Vokey SM6 50 deg, 55 deg (was 56) and 60 deg all 8 deg bounce XP95 R300 shafts

Rife hybrid two bar mallet putter

#20 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,819 posts
  • LocationDC Metro
  • Handicap:17

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:26 PM

Isn't the 2017 prov1x supposed to fly higher and spin more than the prov1, but not when you get right around the greens because the cover is softer in the prov1?

That's a misnomer that has been making the rounds this year.  The truth is the X still flies higher and the V still has more spin.  It's just that the difference in both characteristics has been narrowed a bit, to give each ball a bit more of what the other has, but they have not crossed lines.   

:titelist-small: 917D3 9.5  Diamana 55g  stiff   :titelist-small:  917 F2 18*  Diamana Red 60g Stiff  :titelist-small: 816 H1 21* and 23* Diamana    :titelist-small: 718 AP1 4-7 iron DG AMT White Shaft, AP2  7-PW DG AMT White     :titelist-small: SM6 50.08, 54.08 and 58.12  :cameron-small: X7M   :titelist-small: ProV1X #17

#21 cksurfdude

cksurfdude

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,556 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • Handicap:~18

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:04 PM

Good topic! I'm sort of in a similar spot as Bogey Master: prefer a softer feeling ball; not looking for a "distance" ball but do not want to lose distance; most important feature greenside control. 

The Chrome Soft appears to be a popular choice. 

@yungkory - please update us with your impressions after you've had a chance to play them .. thx!

WITB^ of a right-handed 61 y.o. "aspiring" ;) player ...

Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (Kuro Kage Silver Tini)

Callaway XR16 5W  (Motore Speeder Red)

Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)

Cobra King OS 5i-9i (Recoil 807)

Callaway Apex CF16 PW (Recoil 760)

Callaway MD3 50-10/S (R300) and 54-10/S (S200)

Callaway X-Jaws 58-08

MLA Tour XDream Black Edition w/Forward Golf grip.

^ currently ... subject to change at any time!

#22 jpcgolf

jpcgolf

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationDC
  • Handicap:0.9

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:11 PM

That's a misnomer that has been making the rounds this year.  The truth is the X still flies higher and the V still has more spin.  It's just that the difference in both characteristics has been narrowed a bit, to give each ball a bit more of what the other has, but they have not crossed lines.   

I was under the impression that since the x has the lower compression rating, it flies higher and spins more on full shots, but then around the green, due to the softer cover of the v1, just around the greens, the v1 spins more.  

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

#23 ole gray

ole gray

AGENT NAME: FT.WORTH

• Members

• 4,537 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:31 PM

I'm thinking of trying some of those Callaway super hot 70 balls for this Fall.  15 pack for $27.99 at Dick's.   Anyone on here give these a go yet?

:cobra-small: F6 Driver  

:callaway-small: Razr X - 2, 3 & 4 Hybrids

:titelist-small: AP1 5 - PW, GW, AW  
:cleveland-small:  CBX SW (56 degree)

:bettinardi-small: Queen B 9 Putter 

•  

#24 Devildog

Devildog

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

I am in the same category as Plaid.  Doesn't really matter what ball I use and I will still shoot about the same.  All I have to do is adjust to the greenside spin or lack thereof.  Not that big of a deal.  What matters to me the most is the feel.  I have to find my Goldilocks zone.  Some are too soft and some are too firm.  Finding the one that feels just right is a challenge.  Right now, that is the Pro V1.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      09 Nov
    golfovernight

he best players don't get overwhelmed with mechanical thoughts as they stand over the ball. They pick one feel-based thought and go with it. Steal one of these tour thoughts for some pre-swing clarity.

View All Updates

Our Sponsors