TESTERS WANTED! ×

Arthritis

tommc23

Ok guys I'm a young buck who has been dealing with ankle arthritis since I'm a kid. Recently I noticed that my ankle has been stiffening up and I'm losing a ton of rotation and due to that I am losing distance. I am looking for advice on how to gain some mobility back in my ankle. I've done some stuff that I use to but I'm not sure if it's just because I am not working out as much as I use to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Sounds like in your case "motion is lotion". Ankle pumps and circles throughout your day, everyday might help. Given your history it may even be worth a Physical Therapy visit or several. They'd be able to assess it more thoroughly, mobilize it for you and give you some better exercises.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I do the exercises I was told to do when I was younger. Unfortunately I was doing strongman for years and I think that I built everything up so much for the heavy weight that stopping doing that to do more cardio is a part of my problem.

I have joint issues (not arthritis but I'm 22 and on my way to it) and stretching, using a foam roller, and taking Glucosamine chondroitin pills have helped a lot

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I use a piece of pvc instead of foam. It's harder so not all people can handle the pressure from it due to there being no give. I'm 29 I've had arthritis since I'm 6. I may have to start using glucosamine.

I use a piece of pvc instead of foam. It's harder so not all people can handle the pressure from it due to there being no give. I'm 29 I've had arthritis since I'm 6. I may have to start using glucosamine.

I call mine a foam roller, but it's just a PVC pipe with a yoga mat wrapped once around it and taped on. Glucosamine helped me so much. My shoulder used to click when I would move it in a circle and after a week, the clicking has stopped and my shoulder actually feels like there is cartilage in the joints again

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Focus on stretching, movement and flexibility - Yoga is great- I also carry (and take) 2 naproxen (Aleve) before my round - my issue is lower back (primary) and knee pain.

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Focus on stretching, movement and flexibility - Yoga is great- I also carry (and take) 2 naproxen (Aleve) before my round - my issue is lower back (primary) and knee pain.

Powerlifting and strongman has ruined my body. I'm 29 my hips crack, knees crack, elbows hurt, and my back gets tense after a round of golf. I live with Aleve in my truck and at my house.

I'm 70 and have had arthritic joints and degenerative disc disease for years.  I've been taking naproxen for years, but I don't think it's a good idea.  It seems to have a blood thinning effect on me.  I'm working on golf flexibility exercises because my swing speed has dropped off quite a bit the last few years; just trying to get a few mph back.  When I play golf, I take hydrocodone along with Swiss Kriss... for obvious reasons!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm 70 and have had arthritic joints and degenerative disc disease for years. I've been taking naproxen for years, but I don't think it's a good idea. It seems to have a blood thinning effect on me. I'm working on golf flexibility exercises because my swing speed has dropped off quite a bit the last few years; just trying to get a few mph back. When I play golf, I take hydrocodone along with Swiss Kriss... for obvious reasons!!

I'm with Kenny - beware of overdoing it with the OTC pain killers .. use 'em when you must, and try to lay off the rest of the time when it's not totally necessary.

Also consider alternating naproxen (Aleve) with ibuprofen (Advil). On different days, that is.

Stretching, foam or pvc rollers, different forms of light exercise including yoga or Tai Chi, therapeutic specific exercises, chiropractic and/or accupuncture, heating pads and ice packs, etc. should all be a part of your regular routine.

I'm also with Kenny .. and others .. as far as widespread osteoarthritis, degenerative discs and moderate to severe vertebral subluxations, a worn-out knee and a hip that needs replacing. Maybe both, actually.

But I'm not stopping yet!!!!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I'm with Kenny - beware of overdoing it with the OTC pain killers .. use 'em when you must, and try to lay off the rest of the time when it's not totally necessary.

Also consider alternating naproxen (Aleve) with ibuprofen (Advil). On different days, that is.

Stretching, foam or pvc rollers, different forms of light exercise including yoga or Tai Chi, therapeutic specific exercises, chiropractic and/or accupuncture, heating pads and ice packs, etc. should all be a part of your regular routine.

I'm also with Kenny .. and others .. as far as widespread osteoarthritis, degenerative discs and moderate to severe vertebral subluxations, a worn-out knee and a hip that needs replacing. Maybe both, actually.

My doctor prescribed naproxen (Aleve); 2 in the morning and 2 at night.  Apparently that is "prescription strength".  But he said don't take any ibuprofen while taking naproxen, so I've completely stopped taking ibuprofen.  I think it's because they are similar in what they do, but ibuprofen is short term, and naproxen is longer term, more for chronic pain.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My doctor prescribed naproxen (Aleve); 2 in the morning and 2 at night. Apparently that is "prescription strength". But he said don't take any ibuprofen while taking naproxen, so I've completely stopped taking ibuprofen. I think it's because they are similar in what they do, but ibuprofen is short term, and naproxen is longer term, more for chronic pain.

Interesting. I'd thought ibuprofen was more of an anti-inflammatory vs naproxen as more of a general pain reliever.

(Kids: now you see what happens when you're not a real doctor but try to play one on TV )

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Right on guys, us old farts gotta keep going.

A physical therapist showed me some exercises that I do about 4-5 times a week. Mostly stretching.

BTW, Aleve or Advil B4 golf helped a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Interesting. I'd thought ibuprofen was more of an anti-inflammatory vs naproxen as more of a general pain reliever.

(Kids: now you see what happens when you're not a real doctor but try to play one on TV )

I think both Aleve and Ibuprofen are both anti inflammatory drugs and are in the same family of pain meds. Taking both at the same time might make ya tummy mad. And yes, I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

It's funny that you don't see any young bucks in this thread. . Their time is coming

Cleveland

It's funny that you don't see any young bucks in this thread. . Their time is coming

what are talking about?

Oh ya, old fart stuff

Rick

Left Hand, 

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

A young buck started it lol. Yes ibuprofen and Aleve are both NSAID same class of drugs. Aleve is less harsh on the liver than acetaminophen(Tylenol) and other NSAID medications. Aleve is longer lasting due to slower release which is why it is the suggested med for arthritis and helping with the anti-inflammatory.

A young buck started it lol. Yes ibuprofen and Aleve are both NSAID same class of drugs. Aleve is less harsh on the liver than acetaminophen(Tylenol) and other NSAID medications. Aleve is longer lasting due to slower release which is why it is the suggested med for arthritis and helping with the anti-inflammatory.

My physical therapist said Aleve is recommended because of the problems you have stated.

Rick

Left Hand, 

While I have many of the physical limitations brought on by age, knock on wood, arthritis has not attacked me yet.

Well buddy you better run like a sob cause when it finally catches you, it's on like donkey kong

Cleveland

I have acute inflammatory arthritis in my fingers. They ache 24/7/365. I tried naproxen, plus many other RX's. That said, I was also taking gabapentin for long term surgery scar nerve ending pain in my abdomen( 5 inguinal hernias) my doctor said said I could double the gabapentin rx if I wanted. So I did and it seems to calm down the daily pain in my fingers as well. I also have hydrocodone for when the other doesn't work well. On the other hand I have severe ankle pain in my left side due to overstretched ligaments. Not arthritis but hurts

Ike Hell as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I have acute inflammatory arthritis in my fingers. They ache 24/7/365. I tried naproxen, plus many other RX's. That said, I was also taking gabapentin for long term surgery scar nerve ending pain in my abdomen( 5 inguinal hernias) my doctor said said I could double the gabapentin rx if I wanted. So I did and it seems to calm down the daily pain in my fingers as well. I also have hydrocodone for when the other doesn't work well. On the other hand I have severe ankle pain in my left side due to overstretched ligaments. Not arthritis but hurts

Ike Hell as well.

The little bit of arthritis I have in my hands, knees has nothing on u Bud.

Rick

Left Hand, 

The Big A. No, not the guy you just had to put up with for 18.

The middle knuckle, of my middle finger, on my right hand is almost twice size of the one on the left... lotsa balls.

And when it use to flared up it was to the point of not being able to sleep, I kid you not. Between ruining my back and hitting more balls than is sane over the years Ive tried it all while almost ruining my gut with Ibuprophen too.

When it literally got to the point of wanting to cut my finger off for three days after hitting a large bucket, I finally did find something that worked. And worked better than I ever thought possible. Ankles, feet, and the rest get great relief from it too. Its "outside box" which why I took awhile to get to it, but I am beyond grateful I did.

If anyone wants to know pm me.

Ike Hell as well.

Yikes! Foz, ummmm .. "wins"...???

Hang in there, bro!!!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

The Big A. No, not the guy you just had to put up with for 18.

The middle knuckle, of my middle finger, on my right hand is almost twice size of the one on the left... lotsa balls.

And when it use to flared up it was to the point of not being able to sleep, I kid you not. Between ruining my back and hitting more balls than is sane over the years Ive tried it all while almost ruining my gut with Ibuprophen too.

When it literally got to the point of wanting to cut my finger off for three days after hitting a large bucket, I finally did find something that worked. And worked better than I ever thought possible. Ankles, feet, and the rest get great relief from it too. Its "outside box" which why I took awhile to get to it, but I am beyond grateful I did.

If anyone wants to know pm me.

I wanna know! PM'ed you.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Yikes! Foz, ummmm .. "wins"...???

Hang in there, bro!!!

Nope, can't even come close to top that! WOW, my "stuff" makes me feel like a sissy!

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 1 month later...

OK -- for all you other aching guys I very highly recommend trying an MSM creme.

I've been taking MSM tablets on and off for a lot of years .. and have been 'on' again this year .. double dose .. and recently bought some MSM creme to try.

Have previously tried other topicals like Blue Emu, Penetrex, Icy Hot, some other stuff with Lidocaine in it, etc etc.

Well for me this one is definitely helping!

IMG_20170923_092232314.jpg

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg