Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Replacing wedges

revkev

The idea for this topic comes from the buying clubs used thread plus the recent wedge sole test on the blog.

I know that Titleist recommends buying new wedges every year (I would too if I were selling them for $200 a pop). For many of us that is impractical and/or cost prohibitive.

I have some money set aside for an equipment purchase and have ruled out new irons as a waste of money based on actual in round usage. I'm thinking of wedges because mine are between 5-3 years old. I'm not asked by what wedge to buy, I'm buying Hogan TK15s if I buy wedges. Easily the best choice for my game and the simplest adjustment from my SCORs.

I'm asking how often you replace your wedges and especially I'm asking those who remain brand consistent how much adjustment time they need with the new ones to feel comfortable.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've yet to replace the wedges I bought when I took up golf almost 5 years ago. I recently bought a 60° edel wedge but we will see it makes the bag. I don't really know why I haven't replaced them. I'm sure some is cost but a lot is it's hard to find something that I feel as confident about

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

This is only my second set of wedges since I started playing. I will say, it took me quite a while to adjust to them since they have a radically different profile than my previous set did.

To keep the grooves fresh, I got a groove sharpener as a band aid solution but do recognize that I need to start thinking about new wedges for next season.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I replace my wedges every 1.5 years, but I should more often, as I practice a lot with them. Or buy 2 sets. I'm thinking about getting the cobra pur wedges and using my regular cobra wedges as the practice set. Or actually I might take up tennis.

Edit: I switched from a very square leading edge TM wedge to the Cobra King this spring. It took me a week to get completely comfortable with the Cobra's, but now anything else looks funky. I'm actually wishing my irons or at least my 9, and PW had a rounder leading edge.

Might go with a company that I can get 45-60°, so I can replace the PW. Been having a lot more fun with shorter shots, and getting there in different ways. A "Wedge" PW (45-48) would be fun. I'm also contemplating on having my new irons (when I get them) set up to the 4° through the entire bag. Staring with a 50°(PW) and going +/- 4° in both directions.

Sent from a drowsy 6 hour drive catching up on posts...

I don't seem to wear out my wedges,  I do have wear marks but they don't seem bad enough for me to replace my wedges.   I seem to replace them when I replace my irons to fit the gaps.  I know, probably a bad thing and probably why wedges are the weak part of my game

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I know that data suggests a reduction in spin when wedges are worn. I just don't notice it myself. I've had wedges for long periods of time in the past. More important to me is keeping the grooves clean.

However I'm very concerned that my current wedges are getting towards the end and that Hogan won't last much longer. I have no desire to change the type of wedge that I'm playing. I also couldn't care less what the club I'm using is called or the degree that it is so long as there is even gapping and I know how far that I hit it. Having decided to stick with my irons I know that I need 48,52,56,60 for my wedges. I will Labor over whether to continue with a steel shaft in the 60 or go all graphite but that's a me and my pro issue.

Clubs and balls are very different today from when I started. It doesn't bother me.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rev, I have my wedges from 3 years ago that are beat, chunks missing, the only thing I really noticed was a higher launch, they still spin well.

Pretty much the same for me. My wedges are 3 years old and all are in good shape, the faces have a dull spot were I been hitting them but they still do what they supposed to do. I'm sure they don't spin like they did when they were new, but they still spin well enough to control the ball. I don't think a couple of hundred revs less is going to make much difference at my skill level.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

• 3 weeks later...

Like most anything if you take care of your equipment then it's going to perform better and last longer.

I am curious as far as titleist goes in terms of how many rounds/practice sessions it take for them to be truly worn. I'm guessing the average golfer plays 30 rounds a year (if that) and has maybe another 30 time range sessions? That's a lot to spend every year.

Anyway I have my cobra trusty Rusty for 3 years now and this being my first year of actually playing a lot I haven't noticed much loss in performance if any at all.

So in the bag they stay for another season!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I must admit those Hogan wedges look beautiful and would love to try them.

They are.....I went from SCOR wedges(45/49/53/57) to Hogans(45/49/53/57) and I knew I could depend upon them for the distances.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

can't go wrong with the Hogan's that's for sure.

I Figured Titleist is just trying to sell more wedges, everyone is different on how fast the grooves need replaced.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I've got RTX 2.0 I've had for 3 years, and practice with a lot. Bought an SM6 to see what Mr. Vokey brought to the table. Only noticeable difference (marginal) in spin was the pitches/chips from right beside the green where I swing a bit slower so the more worn grooves obviously wouldn't grab as well.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My last set of wedges were cast TM RAC that lasted me almost 10 years until I left one on the course. Replaced the entire set (it was time) with MD Tour Grinds, and have already bought a back up to the 58* inside of 3 seasons. These have worn very quickly comparatively, and I wanted a fresh replacement for the most used club in my bag when the grooves start to go. I kept the lofts the same so comfort level with full swings was almost immediate. Bunker and touch shots came around after a few hours of practice and probably 7-10 rounds.

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Tour 65 S 
:ping-small: G400 14.5*, Tour 75 S

:ping-small: G400 17.5*, Alta CB 65 S
:srixon-small: ZU65 23*, Miyazaki Kayla 7S

:srixon-small: Z765 5-7 / Z965 8-P, AMT Tour White S300
:callaway-small: MD2 50*, MD2 Tour Grind 54*, 58*
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Ten S
:bridgestone-small: Tour B RX
:ping-small: Hoofer 14

I went through my fair share of wedges when I was single and played more often. Not because I wore them out, but because I could. Fast forward to the present and I've had the same sets of eyes for the last 7 or 8 years. Titleist SM wedges for a brief interlude to test out some Nike wedges. I was looking to replace the wedges this year but the season got away from me. Looking to put either titleist wedges or Clevelands in the bag.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

• 4 weeks later...

as of late I replace them pretty much every year. I'm sure I could go two years, but I like having new grooves in the start of the season. Depending on what the SM7 is like, I could see me rep,acing this set with SM6 cause I love these wedges. Confidence is hard to beat whe. You love the club in your hand.

I spend a lot of time practicing and with my SM6 wedges (on a fairly rough range) as well as playing 4-5 rounds a week after work and generally get one season out of my Lob wedge. (Most used by far) and two years out of the sand and gap. I find the SM6 don't wear very well compared to a forged offering like Callaway or PXG (this is counterintuitive I know). But that's my 2 cents, takes me a month or so to get back in the groove with new wedges. I'd rather never replace but on firm surfaces I need all the spin I can get.

F9 Tensei Pro Orange 70TX

Taylormade Tour M2 15* / Kuro Kage 80 TX

790 UDI Tensei White 100TX

Apex Pro 19 4-PW DG X7

Vokey SM7 Raw 50* 54* 

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60* S400

Taylormade Spider Tour (Red)

Archived