Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Range finder

Woobie

Hi all from Tasmania, Australia.

I purchased a new Sureshot 2000 range finder about 10 months ago and am really struggling with it.

I previously had the 1000 until the display gave up (which I found out later was a major problem for that unit).

My 2000, while it has pinlok seems to consistently give false readings. While playing today it gave me a reading of 280m, which if I were that far from green I wouldn't need to use range finder. When I measure to the tree right behind the pin I got 150m and then tried again on the flag and got 110m! Amazing differences.

I played with a guy Friday who had the same rangefinder and asked to try his. I used his for 2 holes and it worked perfectly, the same as my 1000. He tried mine and said it was crap! I have already sent the unit back within 1 month of purchasing and was told there was nothing wrong with it.

Has anyone else had similar issues and how did they get it resolved?

Thanks

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Sorry Steve no experience using that model here.

Is there a way to change settings?

Good luck.

BigTazz

Chicks dig the LONG ball!

Follow me and #TeamLexi

#J_Wurz

#EthanSterlingPrice

#strokerAce

during the #CobraConnectChallenge

Twitter:  @bigtazzGOLF

Instagram: bigtazzgolf

Facebook: steve.rayburn

#PowerToThePlayer  #CobraConnectMGS

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Hi all from Tasmania, Australia.

I purchased a new Sureshot 2000 range finder about 10 months ago and am really struggling with it.

I previously had the 1000 until the display gave up (which I found out later was a major problem for that unit).

My 2000, while it has pinlok seems to consistently give false readings. While playing today it gave me a reading of 280m, which if I were that far from green I wouldn't need to use range finder. When I measure to the tree right behind the pin I got 150m and then tried again on the flag and got 110m! Amazing differences.

I played with a guy Friday who had the same rangefinder and asked to try his. I used his for 2 holes and it worked perfectly, the same as my 1000. He tried mine and said it was crap! I have already sent the unit back within 1 month of purchasing and was told there was nothing wrong with it.

Has anyone else had similar issues and how did they get it resolved?

Thanks

Steve

Steve, I don't have that brand/model, however, I recently had a problem with my unit going nuts (inconsistent measures). I was planning on throwing it away but at the last minute decided to put a new battery in it - that fixed the problem

On a different topic where are you located in Tasmania? My wife and I were there this past Jan/February visiting our daughter. We ended up playing Tasmania Golf Club and Barnboogle.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I wouldn't think it would be a battery issue, it has done it from brand new. I even set it up on a camera tripod one day to see if was me moving all over the place but still couldn't get a consistent reading.

I am from Launceston, about 1 hour from Barnbougle. But am a bit of a tart when it comes to playing, I will travel anywhere for a swing!

• 2 months later...

Just a follow up on my range finder. I sent it back at my expense to the supplier, after about 5 weeks they agreed that the unit had issues and agreed to replace with an upgraded unit. You beauty..... I thought.

New unit arrived and I used it once at a foreign course.

The replacement unit was worse than my original. Rang them and they told me to send back. After another 3 weeks and them testing it a several courses they agreed it would give inconsistent measurements but were within their parameters.

End result they are upgrading me again to the new 5000ip unit. Waiting with great trepidation.

Good luck on your third try with this LRF.

I'm on my third LRF purchased from MG Golf. The one I have has now been discontinued. Probably due to many refunds and cheap quality I'm guessing. To MG's credit they stood behind each return and replaced with a new one. However, I think I've learned my lesson trying to cheap-out on a LFR. Me and some others guys here in the Forum used to crow about the MG LRF's. Not anymore. When this one I have craps out (and it will based on past history) I'm going with a Bushnell instead of some chinese knockoff. (although Bushnell is probably made in China too but with better parts and quality control.)

Live and learn I guess.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 2 weeks later...

3rd time a charm.

Have played 3 rounds with my new replacement unit and VERY HAPPY to report this one is a keeper.

This one is so good if you point the unit at the target and press the “on” button most times it will give you the correct measurement, even if you weren't perfectly on the target.

Nice to see you get one that works. Keep us posted on performance. I'll be in the market for a new one next year. Mine currently picks out the pin but e measurement varies by up to 5 yds.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Woobie

I just noticed your first post (that you're from Tazzie). My daughter lives in Sanford just outside Hobart. When we were there earlier this year we played Barboogle Dunes and Tasmania Golf Course. You live in a great state and awesome country.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Hi Tony

I have now played 4 rounds with my new range finder (sureshot 5000ip) and would have to say it is faultless. I am still “gun shy” after my last 2 rangefinders (sureshot 2000 and sureshot 3000) so I measure EVERYTHING 3-4 times to be sure. There have been times it doesn't lock onto the flag and it doesn't give you a measurement.....perfect. If your not sure give nothing. Would happily recommend and their service department were very thorough and communicated what was happening all the way through.

On a Tazzie note, Sandford is a long way from me but next time your down this way do yourself a favour and go play the 2 new courses on King Island. They make Barnbougle look second rate (which it isn't) I'm off to play them again in February in a 2 day tournament. Just hoping the weather is better than last time I went, wind was 30kmh by 8am and got stronger as the day went on!!

On a Tazzie note, Sandford is a long way from me but next time your down this way do yourself a favour and go play the 2 new courses on King Island. They make Barnbougle look second rate (which it isn't) I'm off to play them again in February in a 2 day tournament. Just hoping the weather is better than last time I went, wind was 30kmh by 8am and got stronger as the day went on!!

Woobie, coincidently my son in law is a ship's engineer on a ferry that goes from the north end of Tazzie to King Island. So hopefully next time we're there I hope to get on the King Island courses.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

• 6 months later...

Following on in this thread. My LRF is now 6 months old and has averaged over 2 rounds per week. The last couple of weeks the speed and pin lock ability have dropped away significantly. When I played Saturday I couldn't even get it to pick up a tree 30m away, everything seemed to be working but just wouldn't measure. Before I started fizzing thought I'd try a new battery (I always carry a spare)....wowee, back as good as new. So a good tip for new players, always carry a spare battery.

Cheers from Tazzy

Archived