TESTERS WANTED! ×

Swing Thoughts

When I was playing today one of the guys in our group asked what I thought about during my swing. I told him that when I was young and gumby flexible I thought about turning my left shoulder under my chin. But now that I have lost some of that stretchability my swing thought is to turn my right shoulder back and the left should follow. It's pretty much the only thing I think about other that target awareness. I would be interested in what works for you guys?

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

Don't **** this up.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

... Sooner or later, usually sooner, swing thoughts are over used. The brain begins to concentrate more on the swing thought than the task at hand. Imo they are OK as a band aid if you are struggling, but when actually playing your concentration should be on hitting the shot with the distance and trajectory you want. The less you think, the better.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

A friend of mine was on the range last week.  He's a +1 HCP.  He addressed the ball, stood over it for maybe 30 sec before hit the shot; beautiful laser!!  Every shot was like this.  After he finished, I asked what he thought about when standing over the ball.  He said:  "Absolutely nothing!"  He clears his mind of all thoughts; nothing, nada.  I have no clue how he does it.  I just know that I can't do it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

A friend of mine was on the range last week.  He's a +1 HCP.  He addressed the ball, stood over it for maybe 30 sec before hit the shot; beautiful laser!!  Every shot was like this.  After he finished, I asked what he thought about when standing over the ball.  He said:  "Absolutely nothing!"  He clears his mind of all thoughts; nothing, nada.  I have no clue how he does it.  I just know that I can't do it.

... Pretty much how I play. It is very zen like. Easy enough to do when you are playing well, but a little more difficult when playing poorly. Still doable, but just more difficult to drown out the noise. 

... I always gave my students this example. If you give your brain the information, it will process it and accomplish it's task. Like walking down a rocky path. You do not watch your feet on every step. You look at the rocks ahead by a few steps and your brain takes in where the rocks are and moves your feet accordingly. If you allow it, the golf swing is the same way. Your brain knows what you want to accomplish but if you give it conflicting information it will change it's goal to "keep your head down" and now that is it's primary goal. Never more true than putting. Look at the line and allow your brain to take in the line, then just try and hit it at the speed that takes the ball where you want it to end up. You can even do it with your eyes shut! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... Pretty much how I play. It is very zen like. Easy enough to do when you are playing well, but a little more difficult when playing poorly. Still doable, but just more difficult to drown out the noise. 

... I always gave my students this example. If you give your brian the information, it will process it and accomplish it's task. Like walking down a rocky path. You do not watch your feet on every step. You look at the rocks ahead by a few steps and your brain takes in where the rocks are and moves your feet accordingly. If you allow it, the golf swing is the same way. Your brain knows what you want to accomplish but if you give it conflicting information it will change it's goal to "keep your head down" and now that is it's primary goal. Never more true than putting. Look at the line and allow your brain to take in the line, then just try and hit it at the speed that takes the ball where you want it to end up. You can even do it with your eyes shut!

So is it more of a picture in your head, seeing the flight of the ball, or just processing the information?

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

If you give your brian the information, it will process it and accomplish it's task. Like walking down a rocky path. You do not watch your feet on every step. You look at the rocks ahead by a few steps and your brain takes in where the rocks are and moves your feet accordingly. 

Exactly.  I try to avoid swing thoughts and just clear my mind.   I switch golf mode on and off to ensure I stay focused at the right time which helps when play is slow.   I know in my round this weekend;  I started taking the club back and remember thinking that the club was going back a little outside;  well the swing resulted in a big pull hook.  Shaun Clement the youtube instructor preaches the focus on the task mentality.  While I don't usually watch youtube videos,  he had one about when you make your backswing think about putting the club in the position to make the swing you need to execute the task.   Actually seems to work fairly well.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have the hardest time with below my feet shots, thin city. So if I have one I am subconsciously thinking I'm going to mess this up, then the questions begin. I fight myself and end up 90° right of where I was aiming and 45° east of the hole!!

So if I aim 120° - 180° to the left club up twice, swing smooth I will pull it 30° to the left OB, have to take a drop and do it all over...

Yeah. I need to stop thinking.

I only think of swinging down the line so I don't duck hook every single shot because my hips spin crazy fast.  Then adjust slightly for fade/draw.  

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

... Sooner or later, usually sooner, swing thoughts are over used. The brain begins to concentrate more on the swing thought than the task at hand. Imo they are OK as a band aid if you are struggling, but when actually playing your concentration should be on hitting the shot with the distance and trajectory you want. The less you think, the better.

Seems to be the case for sure. Less is more.

All swings thoughts or keys if any are done during the practice swing(s). Done is the thing. Do it > forget it.

Target IS the distance; one and the same. Target. Pull the trigger.

My best rounds have been those where I had no swing thoughts, just a target.

My biggest problem is changing from range brain to play brain. That is not taking my swing thoughts from the range to course. As soon as I hit a bad shot during play, I start thinking about how I will correct things on the next swing, then I just start scrambling instead of focusing on my targets.

VAEA-

Visualize - Stand behind the ball, see my shot, know what I want to do with the ball

Address - Address the ball with club square to the line I have just picked, feet together, then step forward with the left foot to the appropriate distance, square with club face, so body is in line with the club face.

Execute the swing-

Accept the results - I know that sounds funny, but reality is getting upset at a missed shot or pull or whatever does nothing for the shot, and has a very real potential to screw up the next two... so accept, move on and do it again!!!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

I try to not focus too much on the technical stuff during a round of golf. Although, if I get a little off track during a round making a smooth takeaway would be the first place I begin practicing. 

My focus generally is on the target and how I want the ball to travel to get to there.

Mizuno MP-25 irons, R/H, N.S. Pro 950GH regular shafts

Cobra King LTD 8.5 degrees driver, R/H stiff Aldila Rogue shaft

Titleist 3-wood 915F, 15 degrees, Diamana stiff flex shaft

Queensland, Australia

Handicap 5

www.HittingItSolid.com

The Perfect Golf Swing

favicon-96x96.png

One last alignment check. Then smooth take away.

If I feel like I am too quick or my last shot was a slice I switch and focus on breathing and grip pressure.

I try and leave all the technical stuff on the range. On the course my game will be whatever it will be.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly.  I try to avoid swing thoughts and just clear my mind.   I switch golf mode on and off to ensure I stay focused at the right time which helps when play is slow.   I know in my round this weekend;  I started taking the club back and remember thinking that the club was going back a little outside;  well the swing resulted in a big pull hook.  Shaun Clement the youtube instructor preaches the focus on the task mentality.  While I don't usually watch youtube videos,  he had one about when you make your backswing think about putting the club in the position to make the swing you need to execute the task.   Actually seems to work fairly well.  

These are bang on and something I admittedly struggle with. The sports psychology research shows you need to be externally focused on the target rather than internally focused on the mechanical movements of the swing. You will actually tire more quickly by actively thinking about swing mechanics. You will want to play another 18 if you can just focus on the shot. Shawn Clement has some good (often overly long) things to say about this. But I will say I didn't play my best golf until I started externally focusing.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

It's bear not to have any swing thoughts. It easier said than done. It took me about 4-6 months to get my preshot routine done and about 2 seconds before a shot that I don't think about anything except for the target.

Hey-oh! That's taking dead aim from Harvey Pennick.

Swing thoughts lead to mechanical thoughts and swing fix, then you stop playing golf but working instead. It's just a big no no for me.

• 2 weeks later...

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about. ~ Bobby Jones

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 3 weeks later...

Try to pare down your thoughts as part of your routine- do your visualization behind the ball, maybe a reminder to "finish the backswing" or whatever as you step in, simple alignment check over the ball, then the zero moment. No thoughts- hell, no thought- just do what you do and go find it.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Keep your fat arse down stupid.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Two words, "Swing free"

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Recently been thinking of “swing to your finish position.” I focus too much on hitting the ball, rather than swinging through and having a good follow through. It's helped tremendously.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

How many beers are left in the cooler?  Usually followed by "where is the beverage cart?"  In all honesty besides a few seconds for club selection, and a few more on reading a putt, I'm not much of a thinker on the course.  

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

How many beers are left in the cooler? Usually followed by "where is the beverage cart?" In all honesty besides a few seconds for club selection, and a few more on reading a putt, I'm not much of a thinker on the course.

I think we would make good cart partners

Cleveland

• 5 months later...

Low and slow on my takeaway is so critical for me .  There are times when I rush the club back and it destroys what little bit of timing and rhythm I have.  I have to use a tempo phrase (in my mind) like back and through to time my swing.  This slow backswing is a must for me on ever club in my bag.  

Cleveland

I have the hardest time with below my feet shots, thin city. So if I have one I am subconsciously thinking I'm going to mess this up, then the questions begin. I fight myself and end up 90° right of where I was aiming and 45° east of the hole!!

So if I aim 120° - 180° to the left club up twice, swing smooth I will pull it 30° to the left OB, have to take a drop and do it all over...

Yeah. I need to stop thinking.

Yeah, I figured I wasn't the only one with that problem...... I think part of it is as *guys* we tend to (literally) over-compensate after we make a mistake...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

So I *TRY* (ironically .. see chisag's posts) to not have any swing thoughts, especially technically-based ones. Difficult when you're still learning and have to remind yourself what to do.

But I'm trying to work more on proper _movement_ and keep a rhythm in my head for moving back and through ... one-two-three! ... ie. focusing on a smooth tempo.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Archived