TESTERS WANTED! ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - MIZUNO JPX 900 IRONS

JBones

Sorry for the delay everyone! End of month at work + me and both my kids sick with the summer cold has equaled misery the past week.

Here is my stage 1. I'd love to answer some questions!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/20989-official-forum-member-review-mizuno-jpx-900-irons/?p=328936

Bout time! lol nice stage 1

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great start! I have a question:

I love the school of thought that thin or bladed head styles aren't just for scratch golfers. What swing characteristics do you think mid-high handicappers MUST have before considering these head styles?

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Speaking from a mid to high (depending on what you call a 17 index) perspective.  I do tend to get a bit uncomfortable looking down at a very thin top line.   It didn't use to be that way, but as I've lost a good amount of swng speed over the last several years, I know such a head is going  to take a good amount of speed to hit effectively or be hit pretty much on the sweet spot, that anything missing the dead center is going to give less than pleasing (and feeling) results...ha

I have not hit the Forged or Tour version, so i can't say how I would feel about or react to those.  I have seen the forged and held them in my hand, and I think it's a head that I wouldn't run from.   The Tour having done the same with, is definitely one that I would tend to stay away from at this point in my golf life.   

The Hot Metal is a really good looking bigger head if you will.  It doesn't scream super GI or anything like that, but gives me enough confidence looking down that I'm not worried that the strike has to be perfect. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Nice start CG2 (are you going to get us some hard numbers on a GC2 - terrible joke - don't even answer that)

Are all of the clubs Hot Metals? From your pics, it looks like the set progresses a bit.

It looks like Mizuno did a nice job making the GW look more like a classical wedge shape. Is there a lot of progression in the design from long iron to short to wedge. Sorry if this is stealing from your stage 2 review.

Sorry I missed this question until today for some reason, my apologies.

LOL...I have actually had that GC2 thought cross my mind as well before, so you aren't alone...ha   But sadly you'll have to settle for some SC200 numbers in Stage 2!

They are indeed all Hot Metals, and they do blend nicely.   You're right on the GW, it really does look like a design specific for that type of wedge, versus just making it look like the rest of the set.  it sits nicely and has a nice shape to it.   I absolutely love my SM6 50 degree, so this will be an interesting shootout!

Stage 1 is up, enjoy. https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/20989-official-forum-member-review-mizuno-jpx-900-irons/?p=328945

I promise those aren't Instagram filters, just a nice Hawaiian sunset :D

Great staging of your photos Yung...they look really nice, and of course the Hawaiian background doesn't hurt ether. 

I love the school of thought that thin or bladed head styles aren't just for scratch golfers. What swing characteristics do you think mid-high handicappers MUST have before considering these head styles?

IMO, your handicap isn't indicative of your iron play. Everyone who isn't scratch or better, is there for a reason, and it's not always because of the irons they carry. I think the OEMs are to blame for this fallacy, or at least their marketing teams are. I don't get along with thick top lines or soles, but that's not to say that I couldn't benefit from a little help -- I'm definitely not hitting every shot pure and out of the middle. All of that said, sure, my handicap would probably be single digits if I pure'd every iron shot into the green, because it would take away the actual weakness in my game, scrambling. We see tour pros hit errant shots every week, if they're not perfect then how can we expect to be?

So, to answer your question -- you don't need any certain swing characteristic to play a bladed head style. More important, you need to know what you sacrifice by playing these clubs vs some GI type, and if that suits your game.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I went from RBZ irons to my Hot Metals and to me the Mizzys look so much smaller but i am able to work shots so much easier with them too

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

I went from RBZ irons to my Hot Metals and to me the Mizzys look so much smaller but i am able to work shots so much easier with them too

I'm having some similar results. More to come on this!

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

My new Mizuno S18 wedges fitted with Lamkin rel ace 3gen grips arrived Friday I liked the grips that much I have ordered a full set in electric blue for my JPX 900 tour.

They are really sticky and provide good feel from the shot.

There was nothing wrong with the Mizuno 360 grips on there but Nothing beats fresh grips (except new clubs) 

:callaway-small: rouge subzero Fujikura Evo 2 shaft

:titelist-small:  F2  3 wood Mitsubishi rayon 

:titelist-small:  818.21 hybrid Even flow black

Ben Hogan irons apex 4 shafts 

:mizuno-small: S18 wedges 50/54/58

:titelist-small:  Cameron and Crown M1

You're going to get a split decision here - I love seeing mid caps with blades in their bag playing against me. I see dollar signs on the first tee.

But these aren't blades although the Tour version is a players clubs they all have help built in. Tons of tour players hit irons with help, especially the longer irons. Why wouldn't an amateur look for some help in his irons?

Bottom line looking to us for technical advice on your game and what types of clubs you should use is a dangerous affair. That's what your teacher or club pro is for. Go see him or her.

Now I will bow out as you get all sorts of opposing advice on what you should or shouldn't do.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Had a bit of struggle with these this week in soft conditions. Wasn't sure if it was my swing or a combination of my swing, the grind and soft turf.

Yesferday I went out and hit a bunch of balls of a but dryer/firmer turf and results were better.

So this is something I'll be paying attention to and go into more detail in the stage 2.

So this is something I'll be paying attention to and go into more detail in the stage 2.

In my very limited exposure to the hot metals I got significantly more distance. While this is probably related to the fact that they have stronger lofts than other clubs, I also noticed significantly less spin. Do you see this as well and how well do they hold greens on approach shots?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have found that they do spin less but as they are coming in at a steeper angle they still stop well. If the spin was still high it might result in the ball zipping all over the place like Greg Norman used to do with the balatas in the 80s!!

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Any particular questions or things people would want me to include in my Stage 2?

Yes! Here's what I think would be cool to see:

1. How does the turf interaction feel? (for fairway and rough)

2. How many different shot shapes can you hit with your 6i with confidence? What about the PW?

3. If you can make it happen, I would love to see some video of you trying to shoot through a window of trees. Bonus points if you use a shot tracing app.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

2. How many different shot shapes can you hit with your 6i with confidence? What about the PW?

3. If you can make it happen, I would love to see some video of you trying to shoot through a window of trees. Bonus points if you use a shot tracing app.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! lol

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Had a bit of struggle with these this week in soft conditions. Wasn't sure if it was my swing or a combination of my swing, the grind and soft turf.

Yesferday I went out and hit a bunch of balls of a but dryer/firmer turf and results were better.

I'm not a tester but I game the hot metals and have seen the exact same thing in soft conditions. Getting too many fat shots with these when it's wet or spongy. Went to Mizuno demo day Saturday and the rep said a heavier shaft would help me. Hitting off AstroTurf with the heavier shaft did produce ball first contact every time so the ponder begins on new shafts.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Obviously we are getting into the skill level of the tester with shot shapes and trajectory control. How about instead of just trying to shoot under trees we make it like big break and they have to shoot through panes of glass at different heights.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think I'll focus more on the clubs and less on my skills. To be honest I had no problem flighting down much more GI-type of clubs so it really does come down more to skill than the club. I will, however, absolutely talk to the the clubs playability/versatility

Any particular questions or things people would want me to include in my Stage 2?

How hard is the 3i to hit?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'm not a tester but I game the hot metals and have seen the exact same thing in soft conditions. Getting too many fat shots with these when it's wet or spongy. Went to Mizuno demo day Saturday and the rep said a heavier shaft would help me. Hitting off AstroTurf with the heavier shaft did produce ball first contact every time so the ponder begins on new shafts.

That's good to hear the confirmation it wasn't just me.  What shaft do you have?  I actually have the heaviest shaft I've played in quite a while with the C Taper Lt 110 G.  so far i've been able to handle it pretty well as for weight. 

How hard is the 3i to hit?

I know that was directed at Jlukes for the Tour version.  But I'll chime in here on the Hot Metals for the higher Cap guys.   the set came with a 4 iron.  I haven't played a 4 iron in my last 3 or 4 sets.    But I've been playing this one for testing purpose.

I actually am quite confident with it.  it's actually very easy to hit for a long iron.  I'll go into some distance comparisons and data in the full stage 2, but it's easier than any other 4 iron I had of late. 

How is the "feel" on the Hot Metals?

I have found a lot of the "GI" or "SGI" irons tend to sacrifice feel for forgiveness.

I am all about forgiveness when it comes to irons...especially the longer irons, BUT I still need the feel to know if I hit it on the toe or heel.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

How is the "feel" on the Hot Metals?

I have found a lot of the "GI" or "SGI" irons tend to sacrifice feel for forgiveness.

I am all about forgiveness when it comes to irons...especially the longer irons, BUT I still need the feel to know if I hit it on the toe or heel.

I'm still getting a "feel" for them...See what i did there :)

But it's true, and I think I'll talk at length about it in the Stage 2, (so make sure you guys have a couple cold ones handy when that thing pops...just sayin) But you are right about the GI/SGI lacking feel in some instances.  That is the number one reason I moved on from the 716 AP1 so quickly.    Not that I'm a great feel player, but regardless of your skill level you have to be comfortable with the feedback.

I don't know where Golf Magazine put these in it's club test, whether it was GI or SGI.   But I certainly wouldn't put them in SGI based on looks or performance.    It's good that my set of irons at the time of testing were a combo Srixon 565/765 because these are probably closer to the 565 than any other club out there.     The 565 for being a forged club doesn't have the feel of the 765.    And the Hot Metals are a lot like that (565).

I was falling out of love with them earlier in the week, but despite a horrible round yesterday, I was very happy with some iron shots I hit all the way from the 4 to the P.   I did have a couple nasty "Alans" on the tee of a par 3, but that was obviously the swing. 

Still a lot to be determined about these, and I'm enjoying the process a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

When are stage 2's due to come out?

We haven't been given a date yet. But based on previous testing (which may mean absolutely nothing) I'd say in the next two weeks or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When are stage 2's due to come out?

I've been out for 3 weeks due to my dog eating my mouth off :(.

Stitches are out though and I got an 8:30am tomorrow! Back on the testing and picture taking adventure. I wouldn't even call it testing anymore, I fell in love day 1 at my fitting LOL.

Not sure if you guys already mentioned this or not......but were the fittings part of the test or did you all go out on your own?

I'm curious to hear about the experiences you all had at either

A) A Mizuno-specific fitter or

B) A fitter who also sells Mizuno

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Not sure if you guys already mentioned this or not......but were the fittings part of the test or did you all go out on your own?

We all chose to go out on our own and get them done.

Most, if not all fittings weren't done by general fitters that had a Mizuno fitting cart. Several us also gotten fit with the Mizuno shaft optimizer. Details will be in each individual review

We all chose to go out on our own and get them done.

Most, if not all fittings weren't done by general fitters that had a Mizuno fitting cart. Several us also gotten fit with the Mizuno shaft optimizer. Details will be in each individual review

Yep, like Joe mentioned, we weren't required to get fit, but all chose to do so. Personally, I felt like I owed it to not only to the MGS brass for the insane opportunity, but to the rest of the community who is interested in possibly purchasing the irons.

Just an update on the latest outing with these. 

9 holes on course testing with these and the new Bridgestone X ball and SC200 to collect some data.   I'll save a lot of the hard numbers for stage 2 (which is coming soon, we promise!!) but the clubs felt really good, and after a less than perfect ball striking round at TPC with my gamer set, it was nice to see these perform so well.   I continue to be impressed by the feel for the Non Forged version of this family, I guess it's like being the Red Headed step child, everyone loves the blue eyed, blond haired (forged) kids but the step child Red Head is like, oh and there's him too....LOL   

Archived