TESTERS WANTED! ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - MIZUNO JPX 900 IRONS

JBones

When i tap the link to the reviews it takes me to a blank page, anybody else have that issue?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The links in the very first post have to be updated by a forum admin, and since at the time they create the post there is nothing to link to, it doesn't work until they edit. Luckily, there are only 4 reviewers so everything is on page 1. Don't look at jlukes' pictures when you're next to your wife in bed, she'll be wondering why you're so excited and check your phone!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The links in the very first post have to be updated by a forum admin, and since at the time they create the post there is nothing to link to, it doesn't work until they edit. Luckily, there are only 4 reviewers so everything is on page 1. Don't look at jlukes' pictures when you're next to your wife in bed, she'll be wondering why you're so excited and check your phone!

Hahahaha that last line made me laugh so damn much.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Following my brother @jlukes, my stage 2 is now up as well. Hope you enjoy :)

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/20989-official-forum-member-review-mizuno-jpx-900-irons/?p=328946

Great job on the review!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I am willing to take that risk, keep her guessing What I'm doing. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Outstanding review, IMO. Thanks for the thoughtful write-up. The Tours are likely a bit outside my ability, but I will have to give them a try when I get new irons (hopefully spring).

Great job!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Following my brother @jlukes, my stage 2 is now up as well. Hope you enjoy :)

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/20989-official-forum-member-review-mizuno-jpx-900-irons/?p=328946

And I just got done reading this review - another great job!

I can't wait to read the rest.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Only one issue with the video.....

I'm an ABCD fan... “Anyone but Carolina/Duke”, so that Carolina poster on the wall has to GO!!!!!

Nice review!!!! Very well done and I liked the comparo!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Only one issue with the video.....

I'm an ABCD fan... “Anyone but Carolina/Duke”, so that Carolina poster on the wall has to GO!!!!!

Nice review!!!! Very well done and I liked the comparo!

Thanks!!

.I should have sat closer to the poster then in that case...LOL 

Excellent review Carolina Golfer 2!

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Great review dude. The large difference on min and max distances would concern me, but I think it is par for the course in the GI/SGI iron category.

I think there is definitely that factor, but I think a lot of it is the players at that (my) level are a lot more inconsistent, I mean low index guys like you are probably hitting much closer to a max smash factor than I am, so you're probably less likely to have wild swings in your distance.  

I mean it's crazy and very scary that I can hit a 5 iron anywhere from 145 to 175 yards.  I know that's a bit extreme but it totally goes with what your saying, and I put most of that variance on the player vs. the club.   Although I'm sure these stronger material hot face clubs do have more "hot spots" than something like the Tour would have. 

I think there is definitely that factor, but I think a lot of it is the players at that (my) level are a lot more inconsistent, I mean low index guys like you are probably hitting much closer to a max smash factor than I am, so you're probably less likely to have wild swings in your distance.

I mean it's crazy and very scary that I can hit a 5 iron anywhere from 145 to 175 yards. I know that's a bit extreme but it totally goes with what your saying, and I put most of that variance on the player vs. the club. Although I'm sure these stronger material hot face clubs do have more "hot spots" than something like the Tour would have.

Agree on this. Wrote out a long response but the AP in my office timed out so I lost all that I typed. More so the inconsistencies in the swing than the Mizunos causing the larger gaps in distance. I go through this too with my irons.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I mean it's crazy and very scary that I can hit a 5 iron anywhere from 145 to 175 yards. I know that's a bit extreme but it totally goes with what your saying, and I put most of that variance on the player vs. the club. Although I'm sure these stronger material hot face clubs do have more "hot spots" than something like the Tour would have.

Agree on this. Wrote out a long response but the AP in my office timed out so I lost all that I typed. More so the inconsistencies in the swing than the Mizunos causing the larger gaps in distance. I go through this too with my irons.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I mean it's crazy and very scary that I can hit a 5 iron anywhere from 145 to 175 yards.  I know that's a bit extreme but it totally goes with what your saying, and I put most of that variance on the player vs. the club.   Although I'm sure these stronger material hot face clubs do have more "hot spots" than something like the Tour would have. 

And that is just the nature of super cavity back irons as well.  The CG is so low, so therefore the spin is low.  And then add on the fact that the higher on the face you hit it, the even more spin that will drop off and you will see distance jumps because of that.

Do you have similar distance variations with your AP1s?

Another excellent review, thank you CG2.

I am leaning toward buying a JPX900 combo 4-6 Hot Metal & 7-GW Forged. Though I'll probably never be a single digit Hi player again, I much prefer the feel of forged clubs (all I've ever owned) but I think I could use some forgiveness with long irons. However my peak heights are already higher than almost anyone I've ever played with (even my 19 deg 2i launches fine), and if the Hot Metals go even higher I'll struggle on windy days - and that may push me away from combo to a full set of 900 Forged. I'm neutral on more distance, I'd rather have consistent distance than more distance with more variation.

And a AP1/AP2 Titleist or Z565/765 Srixon combo set are basically the only other two choices on my short list, so CG2's review was like a special request for me! Thanks again.

Like @chisag said in your "combo set" thread in the equipment forums, play the most forgiving long irons possible. If you don't struggle getting them in the air, you might not need as much help as you think. If I don't strike my 4i well, I'll lose about 6-10 yards -- I don't know what would happen gaming a 900 Forged 4i because I don't have one, but I can't imagine it gets much better than that. On the other side, if I don't strike a 3i well, I lose 50 yards or more. So for me, I know the 3i in this set isn't gameable because my misses are just unmanageable.

And that is just the nature of super cavity back irons as well.  The CG is so low, so therefore the spin is low.  And then add on the fact that the higher on the face you hit it, the even more spin that will drop off and you will see distance jumps because of that.

Do you have similar distance variations with your AP1s?

yes, to some extent, but honestly I don't have as much course time in with those as the Mizuno's.  Now that Stage 2 is up, I'l probably split time a bit more between the two to get a better feel for them.   But I'd say in the limited time with them, I have seen some big gaps as well. 

I'd love to see you game a set of Mizuno 900 Tour irons for a month or so and see what they did to your game.

If I only knew somebody who had a set :)   J/K our specs are probably as far off from each other as they could be.   But damn you, now you have me thinking maybe I should order the same type combo as I have in my AP2, say 7 or 8 through PW in the Tours!!   With only being 3 or 4 clubs the bite isn't as hurtful  :lol:

Another excellent review, thank you CG2.

I am leaning toward buying a JPX900 combo 4-6 Hot Metal & 7-GW Forged. Though I'll probably never be a single digit HI player again, I much prefer the feel of forged clubs (all I've ever owned) but I think I could use some forgiveness with long irons. Without naming brand/models, the most popular big name cast (S)GI irons I've tried would never go in my bag.

However my peak heights with old school CoG irons are already higher than almost anyone I've ever played with (even my 19 deg 2i launches fine), and if the Hot Metals go even higher I'll struggle on windy days - and that may push me away from combo to a full set of 900 Forged. I'm neutral on more distance, I'd rather have consistent distance than another 10 yds on average with more variation in distance.

And a AP1/AP2 Titleist or Z565/765 Srixon combo set are basically the only other two choices on my short list, so CG2's review was like a special request for me! Thanks again.

Thanks for the kind words, glad it was helpful.  After some of our offline conversations, I'm pretty sure you would be just fine with the whole Forged set, but as Kory reminded us of CHISag's comments it never hurts to have that forgiveness in the long irons, and the Hot Metals have it in bunches!!

yes, to some extent, but honestly I don't have as much course time in with those as the Mizuno's.  Now that Stage 2 is up, I'l probably split time a bit more between the two to get a better feel for them.   But I'd say in the limited time with them, I have seen some big gaps as well. 

It would be an interesting experiment with less-distance oriented.

Theoretically, would you want a 6 iron that went anywhere from 138 to 161 or one that went 142 to 152?

It would be an interesting experiment with less-distance oriented.

Theoretically, would you want a 6 iron that went anywhere from 138 to 161 or one that went 142 to 152?

Ok, I may not be the brightest in the class, but I think I'm taknig the 142 to 152 each time!

But just hoping that narrower gap in distance wouldn't be more like 128 to 138 on the 6.  I know that goes against my "just know how far it goes" comment.  But there comes a time, when you have to say, "Hey, this is just too short, anyway you look at it"   

Just like if you notice, I believe one of the narrowest gaps was the 4 iron where no matter where a hot spot might be, I can only hit it so far, if you follow what I'm saying.    

You know your comment has really made me think about it.  I've read about some irons having hot spots, but never really figured it could be that big of problem, I mean who doesn't like the occasional rocket launcher.  But when you look at some of the distance gaps in those, you can see where it would be an issue.   

But to my point of an inconsistent swing and yours on the Tour clubs, wondering how it would all shake out. 

Ok, I may not be the brightest in the class, but I think I'm taknig the 142 to 152 each time!

But just hoping that narrower gap in distance wouldn't be more like 128 to 138 on the 6. I know that goes against my "just know how far it goes" comment. But there comes a time, when you have to say, "Hey, this is just too short, anyway you look at it"

Just like if you notice, I believe one of the narrowest gaps was the 4 iron where no matter where a hot spot might be, I can only hit it so far, if you follow what I'm saying.

You know your comment has really made me think about it. I've read about some irons having hot spots, but never really figured it could be that big of problem, I mean who doesn't like the occasional rocket launcher. But when you look at some of the distance gaps in those, you can see where it would be an issue.

But to my point of an inconsistent swing and yours on the Tour clubs, wondering how it would all shake out.

And that's where weaker lofts on more traditional irons might give you more distance in the longer irons

But just hoping that narrower gap in distance wouldn't be more like 128 to 138 on the 6. I know that goes against my "just know how far it goes" comment. But there comes a time, when you have to say, "Hey, this is just too short, anyway you look at it"

You know your comment has really made me think about it. I've read about some irons having hot spots, but never really figured it could be that big of problem, I mean who doesn't like the occasional rocket launcher. But when you look at some of the distance gaps in those, you can see where it would be an issue.

Check out this video https://youtu.be/iAcfnrfMxAU

Check out this video

That was very good, he did a great job of explaining the affect of spin above the geo-center of each iron and how it effects distance.  That said, I've taken enough swings with blades at demo days, to know there is a vast difference in the results on most "normal" swings by me with them vs with a GI.    I have no doubt that good swings with both, might provide more consistent results with the Blades.  

The good thing about this thread is it has the Tour/Forged and Hot Metal being discussed, so we can almost have a blade vs. cavity back discussion and still be on topic   :)

Thanks again. Strong odds I'll buy 4-6 Hot Metal and 7-GW Forged, just trying to come up to speed on equipment after a 15+ year layoff. Last time I bought irons the choice was almost between classic forged blades and Eye2's! Obviously a lot has changed.

I suspect I'll be happy with the combo, and “arrows” have never been my biggest problem anyway. My 7i swing speed averages 86 mph, sort of middle ground I'm guessing. Worst case I have to buy a 4, 5 and/or 6 Forged later if the Hot Metals are too high, too inconsistent on distance and/or too much (low spin) run.

7i at 86 is pretty fast, IMO. I'm around 103-105 driver and my 6i speed during my fitting was 87 average.

If you look at Jlukes' gap test his ball speed average with 7i was 121. Average smash factor with a 6i on tour is 1.38 so using that as a baseline, his average speed is 87.5.

At that point it will all come down to strike to see which of the 3 suit you. I am about 10 yards short for all clubs compared to @jlukes, but I don't know how I would feel gaming the HMs and getting the numbers CG2 was. I'm comfortable knowing that when I'm 150 out it's an 8i and I have ~10-yard increments throughout.

One thing I didn't really make clear and I guess I should have. The distances listed in the table encompassed 10 shots with each club. Did the same drill twice to account for swing variances by day.

So I guess out of 20 shots I'm not as shocked maybe as some are about the wide difference. As I don't usually see that as average on course.

I probably should have not counted the longest and shortest balls. Kinda remove the outlier type thing as MGS does in its testing.

I did not count an occasional shank or any thst nay have been lost so far left thst I couldn't find it. Those of course happend both days.

I'm just not a consistent enough pkayer to put 80 solid swings in a row together

Excellent review. Being a higher handicap too, I've been waiting for this review, now can't wait to read about the forged.

For any/all the reviewers:

Can you describe your "wow" moment? This would be the on-course moment when all the lead up and hype was validated in a single shot. The point where you said "wow! these clubs are the truth."

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Archived