Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - MIZUNO JPX 900 IRONS

JBones

For any/all the reviewers:

Can you describe your "wow" moment? This would be the on-course moment when all the lead up and hype was validated in a single shot. The point where you said "wow! these clubs are the truth."

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

There were a ton of shots along the way, but the 4-iron shots I mentioned in my review pretty much are the best representation of those wow shots.

Just being able to consistently get the distances I was expecting was the real wow

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you describe your "wow" moment? This would be the on-course moment when all the lead up and hype was validated in a single shot. The point where you said "wow! these clubs are the truth."

Good question...thanks.

I think my wow moment came during the very first range session with these. It was when I saw and felt the ball flight. Part of that wow was due to honestky being a bit surprised I was able to hit a C-Taper shaft so well. Granted it's the CTL. But the height distance with the first few swings was shocking.

The it it continued through the longer irons and I felt I might have something here.

It was probably right around that time that Jlukes saw my Srixons for sale and commented, he couldn't wait to see stage two!! Ha

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

My fitting was the first hit of this Mizuno drug that I got a taste for. That 6i was just feeling so amazing once I found the shaft that fit me. None of us in the group could wait to get the clubs in our possession. We hadn't heard anything regarding shipping, and jlukes actually reached out to them on Twitter - that's how thirsty we were. I literally would check my phone every morning hoping for a FedEx shipment notification, it was pathetic.

On the course it was probably the first 8i I hit. The feel translates from practice mat to grass flawlessly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Mizuno Golf gave us a shout out on it's Facebook page.   See if the link works, if not the post basically said, "If you're considering the JPX900 next year, here's a very thorough review"   :D

http://

Mizuno Golf gave us a shout out on it's Facebook page. See if the link works, if not the post basically said, "If you're considering the JPX900 next year, here's a very thorough review" :D

http://

No link that I can see.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yep. That's it. Thanks, mine looked like it was hanging up.

Since I'm relatively new here, the format for these reviews is outstanding in my opinion. The three stages and the sections for each cover everything I can imagine readers would be looking for. Far better than any of the pro YouTube club reviews to me.

Very well done whoever developed the format!

Credit for the format goes to the moderator staff team.  They have different templates for each type product, they put a lot of thought into what categories should receive the most weight for each specific product.   Obviously forgiveness might night be as relevant for a GPS as it is for irons, so therefore they are weighted differently.    I'm just giving the broad terms, but they actually put much more thought and work into than just that. 

In my mind it makes it easier on the reviewers to know what areas to make sure we cover and discuss.    

I'm sure I speak for the other reviewers, when I say we truly appreciate you and the other members who have participated in the thread with questions.  We can't cover everything in our 3,000 or so words, so we're very happy to answer any specific questions or concerns. 

Credit for the format goes to the moderator staff team. They have different templates for each type product, they put a lot of thought into what categories should receive the most weight for each specific product. Obviously forgiveness might night be as relevant for a GPS as it is for irons, so therefore they are weighted differently. I'm just giving the broad terms, but they actually put much more thought and work into than just that.

In my mind it makes it easier on the reviewers to know what areas to make sure we cover and discuss.

I'm sure I speak for the other reviewers, when I say we truly appreciate you and the other members who have participated in the thread with questions. We can't cover everything in our 3,000 or so words, so we're very happy to answer any specific questions or concerns.

So I asked Severtheties when his stage 2 course be expected but there has not been a reply.

Can you tell me if there's a deadline date?

It seems as though he has gone dark

I'm a big Mizuno fan. Started the year with an 11 index and was fit for the Hot Metals. MOI matched set with Project X LZ 5.5 shafts. My distances were all over the place across all clubs, 5-G. I was never quite sure how far I was going to hit it. I hated the turf interaction and my handicap jumped to 15.8.

After about 20 rounds traded them in and moved to the 900 Forged with exact same specs. For me the difference is night and day between the 2. Very consistent distances, balls hold the greens much better and turf interaction is much improved.

I haven't gotten any better at golf trust me, but the forged IMO are just a better club all around. Handicap has gotten back down to just above 12 just because of the improved iron play.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

One thing I didn't really make clear and I guess I should have. The distances listed in the table encompassed 10 shots with each club. Did the same drill twice to account for swing variances by day.

So I guess out of 20 shots I'm not as shocked maybe as some are about the wide difference. As I don't usually see that as average on course.

I probably should have not counted the longest and shortest balls. Kinda remove the outlier type thing as MGS does in its testing.

I did not count an occasional shank or any thst nay have been lost so far left thst I couldn't find it. Those of course happend both days.

I'm just not a consistent enough pkayer to put 80 solid swings in a row together

I don't know if you saw, but Mizuno used your review and link on their page today!!! Facebook if I remember correctly.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

One thing I didn't really make clear and I guess I should have. The distances listed in the table encompassed 10 shots with each club. Did the same drill twice to account for swing variances by day.

So I guess out of 20 shots I'm not as shocked maybe as some are about the wide difference. As I don't usually see that as average on course.

I probably should have not counted the longest and shortest balls. Kinda remove the outlier type thing as MGS does in its testing.

I did not count an occasional shank or any thst nay have been lost so far left thst I couldn't find it. Those of course happend both days.

I'm just not a consistent enough pkayer to put 80 solid swings in a row together

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Hey - I know the guy that took that picture!

I don't know if you saw, but Mizuno used your review and link on their page today!!! Facebook if I remember correctly.

I did see that pretty cool. I tried posting the link. But i must have copied it wrong. I think Rick or Tommc posted it as well.

So I asked Severtheties when his stage 2 course be expected but there has not been a reply.

Can you tell me if there's a deadline date?

It seems as though he has gone dark

We weren't given a deadline date per se. Typically Stage 2 will follow Stage one when you have sufficient time on the range aszwell as in course. The staff wants to make sure you're past any honey moon stage thst often accompanies new clubs or have had time to adjust to new shafts heads adequately enough thst you feel what you are seeing is the norm.

I think all of the other 3 had injuries that sidelined them for a spell, and my clubs had to be sent back to have specs corrected. So I was a later getting starred than them.

Hopefully we will see his stage 2 soon, as I'm interested in how the Forged do as well.

Middler did, I don't have Facebook I just pointed out you forgot the link lol.

Thanks for the correction. I couldn't recall who. All three of you have been great participants in this thread!!

I'm a big Mizuno fan. Started the year with an 11 index and was fit for the Hot Metals. MOI matched set with Project X LZ 5.5 shafts. My distances were all over the place across all clubs, 5-G. I was never quite sure how far I was going to hit it. I hated the turf interaction and my handicap jumped to 15.8.

After about 20 rounds traded them in and moved to the 900 Forged with exact same specs. For me the difference is night and day between the 2. Very consistent distances, balls hold the greens much better and turf interaction is much improved.

I haven't gotten any better at golf trust me, but the forged IMO are just a better club all around. Handicap has gotten back down to just above 12 just because of the improved iron play.

Thats good to hear that you noticed some big swings (no pun intended) as well. I still think some poorly struck shots accounted for some of mine.

Glad the Forged are working for you. From looking at their profile in stores. I feel it's an iron I could handle as well.

Thanks for the correction. I couldn't recall who. All three of you have been great participants in this thread!!

Well I'm interested in the forged and tours depending on how I hit them so might as well try to stay up to date with the thread. So how you will have to let us know how the mix set works after a round of each mix.

Testing my understanding here...

Excluding outright mishits, solid strikes* only - how will distance control (carry and total) compare between the Hot Metals and Forged? Not asking about average distance or side to side dispersion, but ‘length dispersion.'

* I found myself in a horrific debate about this on another forum. I was told by a teaching pro that even pros only hit the exact sweet spot about 8% of the time. By solid strikes I mean reasonably near the sweet spot, not obviously thin, toe or heel which is consider mishits. On a recent round I actually tracked myself and I had solid strikes about 70% of the time, defined as anything that didn't feel like it was off the toe, thin or heeled or just an obvious miss like topping the ball. I wipe my clubs after most swings so I can usually just look at the face after a shot and see where I've hit the face.

That might be hard for us to answer. I don't think either of us testers played enough with the other models in the line to be able to compare. I could be wrong though, CG2 probably has a set of Forged in his 6th golf bag.

LOL @YungKory but he's not too far off in my bags.

He's right it's hard to compare exactly. Bit ill say this. When I hit my 7 or 8 AP2 even remotely soilid. It's doesn't lose anything in distance on the Hot Metal 7 and the feel and response is not even in the same league.

That said. Golf is a game of misses. I think, as we have discussed a few times, it's more important to have that forgiveness in the longer clubs. 4 and 5 for most of us maybe 3 and 4 for the really good players.

Based on your comments about preferring forged (and who can blame you) I think going with the Forged in say 6-P and what about the Fli-Hi in 4-5. It might retain more of that forged feel than the Hot Metals.

I'm sure you have read Jlukes early thoughts on his.

Testing my understanding here...

Excluding outright mishits, solid strikes* only - how will distance control (carry and total) compare between the Hot Metals and Forged? Not asking about average distance or side to side dispersion, but ‘length dispersion.'

* I found myself in a horrific debate about this on another forum. I was told by a teaching pro that even pros only hit the exact sweet spot about 8% of the time. By solid strikes I mean reasonably near the sweet spot. On a recent round I actually tracked myself and on full swings I had solid strikes about 70% of the time, defined as anything that didn't feel like it was off the toe, thin or heeled or just an obvious miss like topping the ball. I wipe my clubs after most swings so I can usually just look at the face after a shot and see where I've hit the face.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I buy a lot of clubs, even after a bad round I blame the clubs. Either way the forged have the best distance dispersion in any club I've played. Plus/minus about 5 yards on well struck shots.

With the hot metals I would say about 15 yards on the the longer irons and 10 yards or so on the shorter irons. Gap wedge was way out of whack for me in that it was a lot shorter than the progression should be. Also the hot metals out of the rough would often go 30 yards too far.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

When I push the stage 2-stage 3 link buttons, it takes me to a Kohl's sale page with our water filters...?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I think the new mizzys might get released before these reviews get finished.. heheheh

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I can tell you GC2's stage 3 right now lol... will these stay in the main bag answer will be no because I'm a club ho lol

OH geez. Have I developed a reputation

I'm planning to buy JPX 900's soon. I've never been fitted :blush:, and I know shaft selection is key, how important is the Mizuno Swing Analyzer? Should I find another fitter if I run into one who doesn't have or use the Swing Analzyer, or chooses to ignore the Mizuno recommendation? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

I think it's a good starting point, but if you are going to get a full fitting then I would say it isn't vital

Archived