JBones

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - MIZUNO JPX 900 IRONS

For some reason I feel I should not be reading this thread at work............

I think once the testers start posting pictures it will become a NSFW thread.
  • Like 2

Great start Rob. Thanks for linking your stage so I didn't have to hunt it.

Do you plan on playing a round or two from forward tees so you can keep the hybrid in the bag and play more Mizzy shots?

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Great start Rob. Thanks for linking your stage so I didn't have to hunt it.

Do you plan on playing a round or two from forward tees so you can keep the hybrid in the bag and play more Mizzy shots?

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Definitely in the plans as well as I played a few holes the other day with the 5 iron all the way down...well until I to less than 5 iron distance...ha

I definitely like the feel of them and they launch very high with these shafts.    Oh am I allowed to say that prior to Stage 2  :D

• Like 1

Great start so far!!!  Now excuse me while I go clear our my browsing history.

I had a few other pics that looked nice, except they came out inverted...ha  Still learning the new I-Phone 7 picture mode I guess.  I'll do better for stage 2...and who knows maybe drop another picture or two in the interim, if you all ask nicely  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

a friend of mine just got a set of these (Hot metal 4i,5i, Forged 6-PW). They were true beauties. A little more offset than I was expecting but these are the JPX and not the MP line.

(While I usually like no offset, I find I can adjust to different offsets pretty quickly.) 

He shot 4 under on 9 holes when I played with him. Obviously the clubs

• Like 2

a friend of mine just got a set of these (Hot metal 4i,5i, Forged 6-PW). They were true beauties. A little more offset than I was expecting but these are the JPX and not the MP line.

(While I usually like no offset, I find I can adjust to different offsets pretty quickly.) 

He shot 4 under on 9 holes when I played with him. Obviously the clubs

I haven't been under par. But I did win my 2nd round match in the playoffs two weeks ago. Tomorrow I play in the quarterfinals, against the defending league champion. So they will get s good test for sure.

I've never minded a little offset. Don't like a ton of it. But these seem subtle enough to me.

• Like 1

I'm thinking after all the reviews are done I'm going to have to go get me a set to replace my JPX EZs. Dang guys you're killing me :-) in a good way of course.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

August 29th

JPX 900 Hot Metal Review  Stage One

These Things Are Hot!

Hello Friends.  I've always wanted to say that J  

I'm Rob AKA CG2! 

I've been a member here for just over a year.  I'm glad to say I've seen many old friends from other places on the interwebz come aboard here in the past 6 months or more. And I feel I've met many new ones during the past year hear.

I had often seen some of the blog posts of MGS on Twitter and found them very well done and informative.  So I finally got around to checking out the website and it just felt right, from the start.   No I wasn't a onetime poster for a signup…Although I can see why this one might have drawn many of those!!

My days are varied some days you guys may wonder if I have any work to do and get tired of seeing me post all day, then things may get crazy busy at work for a few days and I don't get a chance to pop in as much, I'm not a big fan of those days.  But fortunately or unfortunately I'm about to head into that time in September. 

Like most here, I'm a club ho, if not always in purchasing, but that is quite frankly the case, at least in looking and reading about, and discussing anything equipment or golf related.   It's great to have such a wide range of playing ability and experiences as part of the community here.  Whether someone is a plus or 36 handicap, I value their input and feel I can learn something from just about anybody.    I certainly hope that's the case for others.  As a 17 HC, I may not be able to tell someone how to hit a hooded knock down 6 iron from 170 yards, out of the rough to a tucked pin.   But I feel I can adequately talk about most equipment and courses enough to help most members.

Current Bag Picture (minus my wedges for some reason)

attachicon.gifBag pic Aug 2017.jpg

I'm fortunate to have been able to change careers 2 years ago.   After 25 years in the Hospitality Industry as a Sales Director and Hotel General Manager, I was offered an opportunity to be Tournament Sales Director for Billy Casper Golf Management at one of its courses in Maryland.   I am responsible for bringing charity/corporate and competitive golf outings to the course, as well as promoting it for local play in the community.   I absolutely love coming to work every day with the opportunity to sell our course and basically talk golf with every customer I come into contact with, how great is that!!

I have been playing golf regularly for about 25 years, and my love and interest has grown every year.  About 10 years ago, I was playing 75 rounds plus a year and had a pretty decent game and distance off the tee.   An auto accident, natural aging and some recent injuries had decreased the golf to maybe 7 to 10 rounds a year and robbed me of my length.  

Now, I'm learning the importance of the short game.    When I started this job a year ago I was a 26 HC, but with the opportunity to play more regularly--26 rounds to date this year--I've gotten down to a 17 to 18 most of the year.

Ok, Ok, I've kept you all waiting long enough for some pictures.  We'll start slow, as to not overwhelm you with beauty right away!!

Even the box oozes class...even when shown sideways :)

attachicon.gifbox pic.jpg

I was fit for the C Taper-Lite 110 G shaft (more on it in Stage 2)

attachicon.gifJPX Shafts.jpg

As for my overall game, as mentioned above, I'm not long off tee anymore, was about 260 to 270 yards at my peak, and now I'm about 215 and occasionally get a “good one” out there to 240. However, one benefit of being shorter, I am much more accurate off the tee than I was when I was hitting it longer. 

Being stubborn, I haven't really moved up a tee box, I still play most of my golf from tees that are generally 6200 to 6400.  I know by choosing tees that are in the 5900 to 6000 yard range I might score a bit better, but I'm competitive my nature, and a lot of tournaments I like to play in play the above distances.   So therefore, I have a lot of approach shots in the 160 to 180 and even out to 200 on a lot of my home course holes.  As a result of that, I miss A LOT of greens, putting pressure on my wedge and putter to walk away with no worse than bogey, and salvage the occasional par.   

My wedge game has improved dramatically the past 15 months, which I attribute to the new set of wedges I put in play in May of 2016. It's the first time I've ever put a lot of thought into a whole wedge setup as opposed to a mixed bag of whatever I felt like buying/trying at the time.   I won't say my wedge game is excellent, but based on what I see, it's better than average.  

I've always considered myself a good putter, and a couple different instructors that I've taken lesson from said, I have such a natural and very solid stroke, they didn't want to mess with it at all.   The only big change is I've moved to a #7 –since that seems to be a universally used description—style of putter over the last 6 years or so.   The big benefit of this style for me is that it keeps the putter head very steady throughout the stroke.  With the standard blade style putters, which I absolutely love the look of, I tended to “wobble” the head on the way back or coming through.  

attachicon.gifJPX Full Set Top.jpg

My iron play has always been steady if not spectacular.  In addition to the shorter distance off the tee, I've lost about 2 to 3 clubs with the irons.    I used to play an 8 iron from 150, now it's either a well struck 6 iron or a 24 degree hybrid. 

My WITB is a revolving door.  I'm fortunate with the position I'm in, I get some incredible deals on equipment.    As I mentioned above, I love all things equipment related and love trying equipment from anybody.   As a matter of fact, I told someone in the past several months, that over the past two years, I have had at least one club in my bag from the following companies, Bridgestone, Callaway, Cobra, Cleveland, Mizuno, Nike, Odyssey, Ping, SeeMore, Srixon, TaylorMade,  Scotty Cameron, Titleist, Toulon and Wilson.   The bolded ones, also represent Irons I have played in the past two to three years from those companies, in some cases multiple models from one company.   So you can see I'm open to whatever will improve my game

attachicon.gifJPX 7 Iron Badge.jpg

I was very surprised and honored to be selected as a tester for the JPX 900 Hot Metal irons.  I know how big the demand for this testing was, and it's not an obligation I take lightly.  I haven't gamed Mizuno irons since a set of MP60's about 12 years ago.   Once selected to test, I delved into as much information on Mizuno to get caught up with what's going on with them. I must say I'm really impressed with the direction they have taken this past year.  

There are a couple new iron offerings coming out in the next month, one by Mizuno and one by Titleist.  It will be very interesting to see how the JPX 900 Hot Metals perform over the next month to two months and see if they earn a keeper spot in the bag. 

These were just a few pictures since you all have been waiting so patiently.   I promise many more pictures and a whole lot of performance date will follow in the stage two and three sessions.  

attachicon.gifJPX GW badge.jpg

Note:

I've added the date above my title to show the actual date posted.  I know sometimes the reviews actually get posted much later than the Plceholders go up, so maybe it will help in letting you know when it was actually posted.

Fantastic start!! You are a very lucky man working where you do and talking golf all day.

• Like 1

Nice one Rob.

• Like 1

Fantastic start!! You are a very lucky man working where you do and talking golf all day.

Thanks. People often say  "living the dream" so casually,  but I can say it and really mean it. I honestly love going to work every day.

Plus I can tell my boss that the time I spend on  MGS  is research related to the job!!  Keeping in tune with what players do and don't like about courses and golf outings

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Rob you always put out a quality review and a great start to this one!  I'm looking forward to your take on these puppies.

Thanks OG, and you'll get to see them "in test" just about 1 month from today!! 

• Like 1

Nice start CG2 (are you going to get us some hard numbers on a GC2 - terrible joke - don't even answer that)

Are all of the clubs Hot Metals? From your pics, it looks like the set progresses a bit.

It looks like Mizuno did a nice job making the GW look more like a classical wedge shape. Is there a lot of progression in the design from long iron to short to wedge. Sorry if this is stealing from your stage 2 review.

• Like 1

Good read and pictures Jlukes!!   Always love your work with the camera!

• Like 1