TESTERS WANTED! ×

WEST COAST PUTTER COMPANY

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

A New Putter Company In Town...With A New Concept

The idea behind the PROTO1 was a putter that could be set up, pre-round, for the conditions of the day. The concept is simple enough; a putters' performance is gaged in part by the rebound effect created at impact, alter the rebound effect and change the performance. With a series of inserts the golfer can add more or less roll by changing the way energy is transmitted at impact. This innovation gives the golfer the feel they want, roll they need and performance they paid for, regardless of conditions.

west-coast-putters-1.jpg

west-coast-putters-2.jpg

#TruthDigest

I am all about options, but for some reason I like my putter to stay consistent. I'm not trying to knock the idea of interchangeable putter faces, but for me it is a little too much. Golf is already complicated enough....why make it more complicated?

Interesting ... looks like the main body is black ox carbon steel? If so, maintenance could be an issue with keeping the screws and ports clean and oiled, thus potentially creating an additional headache to the usual maintenance process needed with carbon steel heads.

An interesting concept, but it's not for me. I'll change shafts on a driver all day, but the putter is such a personal club that you almost forge a relationship with and this seems to kill it for me.

That is my feelings exactly. I feel that if I tinker with the flat stick too much it will mess me up as I am comfortable with my putter.

• SPY VIP

Have not got all the info on them yet but by the looks of the inserts being similar in size they would have to have different weights to them since they are made of different materials.

I like the concept!...Not sure exactly how much it will matter though. What, different weights in the inserts for fast/slow greens?? Thats my guess

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

this would drive me crazy...too...many....options....

I would guess that once you get it set how you like it, the settings would stay that way for a while.

This is what I hear from some folk with the adjustable drivers.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• 2 weeks later...

I would guess that once you get it set how you like it, the settings would stay that way for a while.

This is what I hear from some folk with the adjustable drivers.

Yeah, pretty much, unless you're taking lessons and undergoing some swing changes (which I will be this year). Attempting to dial in my STR8-Fit Driver as we speak.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I think the adjustability is fine as long as you don't gouge the consumer in the process. For instance, Ping did that with the IWI putters by charging an additional $70 for the weight kit.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I think it would more likely, for me, be used as follows. Test the different faces on the putting green, find the one I like the best, and that one stays on the face for the life of the putter. Kind of like a custom fit putter, not a bad idea though.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I think it would more likely, for me, be used as follows. Test the different faces on the putting green, find the one I like the best, and that one stays on the face for the life of the putter. Kind of like a custom fit putter, not a bad idea though.

This seems like a reasonable way to approach it, similar to how I use my R9, but if the adjustability is just for feel, why not buy a 1 piece putter that feels good to you?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Some folk do bag two different putters depending upon green speed. This would allow you to have "both" in the bag, just switching the face when you se how the greens are that day.

I'll stick to 1 pc for now.

Volvo Intorqueo

It's a good idea....but not sure how workable it would be for the real world. If you play the same course all the time, you pretty much have consistent speeds usually. And if you are a tournament player, you'd have to figure out the speeds before your round since you can't change the playing characteristics during play. Then, you'd also have to get used to the way the new face reacts -- unless of course you're able to maintain the same stroke and just let the face rebound do it's thing. I guess that's what they're going for. I just hope that all those faces maintain the same weight while changing the rebound effect.

I dunno...I'd at least try one out.

It's a good idea....but not sure how workable it would be for the real world. If you play the same course all the time, you pretty much have consistent speeds usually. And if you are a tournament player, you'd have to figure out the speeds before your round since you can't change the playing characteristics during play. Then, you'd also have to get used to the way the new face reacts -- unless of course you're able to maintain the same stroke and just let the face rebound do it's thing. I guess that's what they're going for. I just hope that all those faces maintain the same weight while changing the rebound effect.

I dunno...I'd at least try one out.

Yeah, differing weights could throw off your stroke, it could make it faster or slower, which could lead to timing issues.

I agree, maybe this could be fitted at the shop for you, just an idea.

That would be a cool idea, if the shop had multiple faces and you could order a 1 piece putter (or at least a permanently assembled) putter with the face of your choice. Neat addition to the loft/lie/length of putter fitting.

• SPY VIP

this could be the greatest idea yet or crash and burn.

No hope of sales? If the idea is good, where does the equation fail on the way to market? What if the price with faces was like $125? What if a tour guy endorsed it?

Volvo Intorqueo

No hope of sales? If the idea is good, where does the equation fail on the way to market? What if the price with faces was like $125? What if a tour guy endorsed it?

When you talk about sales with this putter, I have a feeling it probably won't be a hit. There are a lot of people who are opposed to adjustability on principle, so they're out. The people who won't spend much money on a putter are out. Then you have a lot of others who are very concerned with the name on the putter. Seems to me that the pie is pretty small at that point.

I suppose a Tour player could change all that, but it would need to be a very prominent player and they would need to do very well with the putter, IMO.

The Face-Off didn't do to well, but it was a MacGregor and it wasn't milled.

• SPY VIP

The Face-Off didn't do to well, but it was a MacGregor and it wasn't milled.

True and John Travolta and Nic Cage couldn't even make it popular.

It just seems like this would meet the needs of a tinkerer.

I guess does anyone actually mess with the weights on a spider though? :huh:

Volvo Intorqueo

True and John Travolta and Nic Cage couldn't even make it popular.

It just seems like this would meet the needs of a tinkerer.

I guess does anyone actually mess with the weights on a spider though? :huh:

I don't think the weights are a big selling point on the Spider, IMO. Not a lot of people are going to spend the extra $20-30 for new weights after they buy the putter. IIRC, the Never Compromise Exchange putters with removable weights were not exactly a big hit. The only adjustable weight putters I can think of that are a big deal are the Scotty's, and those aren't even consumer-adjustable.

• SPY VIP

I don't think the weights are a big selling point on the Spider, IMO. Not a lot of people are going to spend the extra $20-30 for new weights after they buy the putter. IIRC, the Never Compromise Exchange putters with removable weights were not exactly a big hit. The only adjustable weight putters I can think of that are a big deal are the Scotty's, and those aren't even consumer-adjustable.

What about Ping? They killed the system by making the weight kit so pricy. Do you think it would have been better/more tinkered with if the weights came with it?

Volvo Intorqueo

What about Ping? They killed the system by making the weight kit so pricy. Do you think it would have been better/more tinkered with if the weights came with it?

I did think of Ping among the companies with unsuccessful movable weights, though I didn't write it. My first instinct is to say that, yes, price kept people from messing with the weights, but IIRC the weights came with the Never Compromise and that wasn't a big hit either. I don't know if those who bought it tinkered with it though. I guess we have two separate questions: 1) Did it sell well? 2) Did the people who bought it mess with the weights?

In truth, I think that a putter with movable weights is a great thing for all golfers: they can use it to find the headweight that they like instead of having to buy multiple putters over the course of time.

Archived