Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

8802 style putters!

Dennis

• SPY VIP

I've owned soooo many traditional heel shafted putters over the years, I can not even begin to name them all. There have been hundreds over the years and I think I tried about all of them one time or another. I've also tried a good number of the most recent ones offered as well. I found out sometime ago that this style is just really not the best for me so I have switched, but I still love the style from a looks standpoint, I just can't putt with one.

I think that Phil may be the only one left who can. They do look so good though. Even the modern ones. Bettinardi BC7 and the Byron Morgan ones are stunning.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I think that Phil may be the only one left who can. They do look so good though. Even the modern ones. Bettinardi BC7 and the Byron Morgan ones are stunning.

Phil is one of the few left who uses one. They appear to be a dying breed.

I've seen him put a number of different putters in play over the years...

Odyssey White Hot XG #9

Odyssey White Hot XG Blade

8802 Customs from Scotty

Cameron Futura

Others?

Last year, I sold a Bobby Grace handmade 2200 in the fog chrome that he made for Phil, I believe quite a while ago. It had to be pre-Cobra and such. The putter was amazing.

I contacted Bobby, thru Facebook and he authenticated it, saying that he remembered that putter taking 12-15 hours of hand work to get just right. It had Phil's loft, machined in, Phil's lie angle and even Phil's preferred grip, at the time, a GripTec wrap.

Here are some pictures of that bad rascal.

Thanks,

LaMont in AZ

000_0001-6.jpg

000_0002-6.jpg

000_0004-5.jpg

000_0007-5.jpg

000_0006-4.jpg

Sad part, it sold on eBay, about two days before I got the confirmation from Bobby. The owner had tried to get ahold of Bobby and finally just decided to move it out. His collection was not set-up to have Grace putters, ;-). It sold for a small fraction of what I believe a Tour Issue Hand Made Bobby Grace, specifically for Phil Mickelson, should have sold for. The winning bidder contacted me to get the good news and was extremely jazzed. Not every day does a LH'd golfer find a treasure like this, and purchase it for a song. It has a very loving home and will see bag time, as it should.

• SPY VIP

Thanks LaMont. The reflection of the photographer in the fourth photo gives you an idea of how sweet the finish is.

Can you tell me about the Griptec grip? I am not familiar with that company/grip. Is it larger than standard?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I did great on the putter. The gentleman who purchased it from me knew in his heart exactly what it was. He has been collecting putters for a long time and was VERY VERY well-versed in Grace's classic stuff. But, in today's market, COAs and such can make or break a putter, even one that is this clear. He sold it just about a week too soon and was incredible about the whole deal.

The new owner is very, very happy with the putter and told me that there is no way that it'll be a wall hanger. Bobby made it to be played and it will be just that.

Great to have it in the hands of someone who'll play that rascal.

Thanks,

LaMont in AZ

Agreed. Out of curiosity, what would be head weight on that putter?

As far as the Lola and Lola 2 we can make them pretty much whatever weight you want.

Chris Jordan

23836_1246921490608_1156541241_30561961_4305609_s.jpg

Sunset Beach Custom Putters

Email me

Driver: Adams Fast 10 w/ Matrix Ozik TP6HD

3 Wood: Nickent 3dx Tour 3+ w/ UST Mamiya Black

5 Wood: Bridgestone J38 / Motore F1

Hybrid: TM Rescue TP 22* w/ UST Mamiya Black

4-PW: Bridgestone J38 Dual Pocket Cavity w/ Project X

52* and 58* - J38 Black Oxide w/ Project X

Putter - SSB Ocracoke in Oil-Rubbed Bronze

Ball - Srixon Z-Star Tour Diamond or Bridgestone B-330S

Yes has added the "Morgan" to their 2010 lineup. Sound like the price on these is fairly high, in the $300+ range from what I have been reading.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

Archived