Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Bridgestone B330RX still disappoints

chisag

... I purchased 2 dozen at $13.99 a dozen for the Mrs in a tent sale. First let me say what a great ball the B330RX is for those that don't need max spin on pitches and chips. Awesome in the wind and it's as long or longer than any ball I have played with the exception of the TP5x. With around a 100mph driver swing I also loved the soft feel. Now with that out of the way

... the short game spin just isn't there and it cost me about 4 strokes. Perfect example was a pitch on #9. Into a 20 mph gale, my knockdown 5iron came up about 15 yards short of the green. With the wind dead in my face I hit what felt like a perfect 60* pitch close to the pin and short by about 6". With my normal ball that barely hops and stops dead and into that kind of wind might actually back up a few inches as I nipped it well. The RX hoped once, then produced a little 2nd hop and rolled out about 6 feet leaving me a difficult downhill, down wind 12" putt when I should have had a tap in. 

... On #12 again dead into the wind, I came up about 5 yards short of the green with an easy aggressive chip. I chose to clear a ridge instead of running it up and judging the speed. Played it about 8 feet short of the pin and looked for a skid and then quickly stop. The RX skidded almost to the hole and trickled out another 10 feet leaving me against the collar. I played the rest of the round with the RX but attempted to judge roll out and had better results but still not as close as I would like as that just isn't how I play around the greens. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I've had the same issue with it. I preferred the hydro core version. It seemed to spin better around the game. I liked the fit of that ball for my game.

I've moved away from the ball since they made that change.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Like it off the tee and in the wind but like you say, around the greens the performance just is not there. TP5x is the ball for me.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

Greenside spin (spin on slower club speed shots) is generated from a soft cover grabbing against a firmer mantle/core.  The RX just isn't going to have the bite on partial shots like the firmer balls do

... Found that out when they first came out. I recently talked to a Bridgestone rep that said the new balls have much more bite than the original. And since I picked up 2 dozen for under $30 I figured I would see how much they have improved. 

... Found that out when they first came out. I recently talked to a Bridgestone rep that said the new balls have much more bite than the original. And since I picked up 2 dozen for under $30 I figured I would see how much they have improved.

Would still be a nice cold weather ball for that price

I found the RXS spins up really nice in fact too nice at times

I found out the same thing myself. for some reason I like the Treo Soft. The only Bridgestone ball I could control the spin on. For some reason I can get maybe 5 yards more distance with the driver than I can with the Pro V. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Like I told divothead I got too much spin from them. Now I will concur that I do have a cut swing from outside in with the face at impact about 2* open except the driver FW and hybrids. I had to learn to close the before mentioned clubs with modern metals because I put too much side spin on them. I basically just shut the face down some. Wonder if it is also because most of my short irons the faces are worn and rough and rusty. I know we had a debate on here some years back about rust on the club face imparting spin

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Would still be a nice cold weather ball for that price

... Indeed. But I already gave them to Mrs Chisag.  :rolleyes:

I leave the ball short of the hole too many times,  I need more roll and less spin!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

A few years ago, I went through the Bridgestone ball fitting demo at a local golf shop and they (of course) recommended the RX over the V1 I was playing.  So I tried a dozen of the RX and also found that greenside control and spin was not what I expected from a urethane ball.  Tried some of the RXS too, same thing.  I actually found that the E5 went a little further and had same if not better spin around the greens.  Turns out the RX is just not for me.

My Weapons of Grass Destruction 🏌️‍♂️

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke S

:titelist-small: 917F2 15* Diamana Blue 70 S

:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Evenflow Blue 85HY S

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4-P AMT White S300

:vokey-small: SM7 50.12 F bent 1* weak, SM7 56.14 F, SM7 60.08 M - S200

:odyssey-small: Black Series 3

RH - Ontario 🇨🇦 and Ohio 🇺🇸

Avg. score 85-92

Several years ago when the RXS was introduced, the rep at the ball fitting said I should be playing it.  He gave me a two-ball sleeve.  They were enough for me to know that I didn't like them.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I find the rx and rxs are sensitive to hardness of greens like most soft core urethane balls.

They each have their own thresholds and once you go over that "hardness limit" their first bounce will play like a 3pc non urethane.

IMHO among the soft core urethane the highest threshold for green firmness was the original Chrome Soft.

I prefer the rx over the rxs because the lower ballflight actually checks more for my shortgame style of the low checker.

Archived