TESTERS WANTED! ×

Alignment

Peanut05

Does anybody have any tips on getting aligned right before taking a shot.  I've been struggling with that a lot lately, mainly with my woods.  I've tried finding a spot a couple of inches in front of the ball, but that's not really working that well.  Yesterday on one hole, I found a spot about 6 inches in front of the ball on the line I wanted and tried to line up with that, but the guy standing behind me pointed out that I was still aimed well right of my target (about 30 yards right).  Once I got readjusted, I hit a perfect drive right down the middle.  I'm fine with my wedges and irons, but my woods are killing me and getting me in a lot of trouble lately. 

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I always get behind the ball with driver and visualize my shot by picking a Target most of the time trees part my target or houses and then i walk it in and take a small brush stroke towards my target and grip and rip it

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

From my observations it seems that most people who aren't aimed properly tend to align to far to the right (for a RH person).  Not sure why.

I was at the range last week talking with my buddy that I walk with.  He spends hours on the range (I can't do that), and he was hitting his driver to the right of where he wanted.  I stood behind him and he was definitely aimed too far right.  So, I told him to turn more to the left.  He did.  He was aligned perfectly, but just before his backswing he repositioned his feet to where he was aligned to the right again.  I told him to put the driver down along his toe line, and sure enough, he was right of target.

Place the club down the line toward the target, step up to the club to address the ball, pick up the club and take your stance with moving your feet alignment; hit away.  After you hit, place the club along your toes to see if you are still aligned correctly.  After a period, the new alignment will look normal.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Place the club down the line toward the target, step up to the club to address the ball, pick up the club and take your stance with moving your feet alignment; hit away. After you hit, place the club along your toes to see if you are still aligned correctly. After a period, the new alignment will look normal.

This! You can even leaver the club or alignment rod in place while you hit but only during practice rounds. The one other thing to look at is shoulder to feet alignment to ensure they are the same since the club will generally travel down the line made by your shoulders not the feet

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This! You can even leaver the club or alignment rod in place while you hit but only during practice rounds. The one other thing to look at is shoulder to feet alignment to ensure they are the same since the club will generally travel down the line made by your shoulders not the feet

It might for most swings, but for my single plane swing the tilt away from the ball at address actually aims the shoulders to the right, or slightly closed.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It might for most swings, but for my single plane swing the tilt away from the ball at address actually aims the shoulders to the right, or slightly closed.

I am assuming you know through repetition the shoulder to foot relationship so that if the ball isn't traveling correctly you know where to look

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

^^ this.

I did this for months. Playing alone most of the time has its perk. Like Kenny B said most people aim too far to the right mainly because they aim their shoulder to the target not 10-15 yards parallel to the target. This leads to many over the top, across the line move or pull.

I draw the lines on my ball and use that to line up my shots off the tee not so much for putting. I use 2 alignment sticks, one for target another for the shoulder. At the range I use the line or logo to square everything up at address, repeat til it becomes second nature. I also do that on the course til I'm comfortable.

The key is at some point the training wheels have to come off and you have to learn to trust your set up and not thinking about it.

I am assuming you know through repetition the shoulder to foot relationship so that if the ball isn't traveling correctly you know where to look

Yep!

^^ this.

I did this for months. Playing alone most of the time has its perk. Like Kenny B said most people aim too far to the right mainly because they aim their shoulder to the target not 10-15 yards parallel to the target. This leads to many over the top, across the line move or pull.

I draw the lines on my ball and use that to line up my shots off the tee not so much for putting. I use 2 alignment sticks, one for target another for the shoulder. At the range I use the line or logo to square everything up at address, repeat til it becomes second nature. I also do that on the course til I'm comfortable.

The key is at some point the training wheels have to come off and you have to learn to trust your set up and not thinking about it.

Yep!  I line the ball up for both putting and driving.

I mean this seriously, when I address the ball on almost every important shot except short flippy wedges I do an alignment check. I take my stance, the club to waist line, club to shoulder line, then drop it down to address. I find this helps a ton when I need to hit a certain shot off the tee when the pressure is on. It takes me back to being an beginner and serves as a reminder to keep the fundamentals solid. You should try it once in awhile.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I use alignment sticks all the time when I'm on the range, it's just playing that I have problems. It's hard to use those when you're playing in a round with a big group.  I'm going to try to remember to use the club to align my shoulders on my next round.  Hopefully that will help a little. 

In my bag:

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Amen! A couple years ago, a friend took a picture of me at address and my shoulders/hips/feet were all pointing different directions. I use an alignment stick at the range all the time, but have difficulty "feeling" whether my hips and shoulders are pointing the same direction. I'm pretty confident many of my issues are related to alignment. Sometimes I just don't feel comfortable over the ball and have no clue what to do.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

One big mistake that newcomers make, including myself sometimes, is that they try to align themselves after already standing in the address position. This is a big no no because it sorta messes with your mind and creates an optical illusion, and will almost always throw off your aim.

I think my biggest issue with alignment is my shoulders. I feel like my trail shoulder is never in line with my lead, it's something I'm working on a lot right now.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

One big mistake that newcomers make, including myself sometimes, is that they try to align themselves after already standing in the address position. This is a big no no because it sorta messes with your mind and creates an optical illusion, and will almost always throw off your aim.

I think my biggest issue with alignment is my shoulders. I feel like my trail shoulder is never in line with my lead, it's something I'm working on a lot right now.

Yeah that's quite common. Also another thing to keep in mind, the ball position would change a bit from time to time. Usually an inch or so back or forward. After a few iron shots if I didn't catch it clean then I'd do a practice swing and look at where the bottom is and make minor adjustment.

I played this weekend and hit more fairways with my driver and 3 wood than I have in a long time. I think I have my alignment issue fixed with those for now.  However, I pushed more irons and wedges right yesterday than I have in a long time as well.  Everything was fine with those before.  I think everything just switched on me. 

In my bag:

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I played this weekend and hit more fairways with my driver and 3 wood than I have in a long time. I think I have my alignment issue fixed with those for now.  However, I pushed more irons and wedges right yesterday than I have in a long time as well.  Everything was fine with those before.  I think everything just switched on me. 

Yep!  Then when you get the irons back on track, the chipping and putting goes south.  Fix that... then you are back to driver and 3 wood problems.  It's called the natural cycle of golf.   :D

Yep! Then when you get the irons back on track, the chipping and putting goes south. Fix that... then you are back to driver and 3 wood problems. It's called the natural cycle of golf. :D

Apparently you know my game

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

When i line up for a full shot i always hold the club out over my toe line to see where im pointed. It's FAST and easy and keeps me from developing bad habits in alignment. If you get used to lining up wrong it is hard to change. I used to only do this when my alignment had gotten way off, but now i do it to make sure it doesn't get off in the first place.

By the way, if you want to actually lay the club down on the ground on your toe line, then stand behind it to check where it is pointed, then retake your stance... that is perfectly legal, so long as you pick the club up and use it to hit the shot... you can't use an extra club or alignment stick and leave it there while you hit. You could do it for a practice round though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

I had an issue of not rotating my hips when I'd go back, so the pro got me to open up my back foot a bit. And any time I use an alignment stick, the pro told me to place it on my heels because they aren't as affected when I open my foot up

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Don't forget ball position!!  You can be aligned correctly and still push/pull a shot because of ball position.  

I have a tendency to play iron shots a little too far forward, closer to driver/FW position, which results in pulled shots, fades that I don't want, and fat shots.  Just laziness.

Don't forget ball position!! You can be aligned correctly and still push/pull a shot because of ball position.

I have a tendency to play iron shots a little too far forward, closer to driver/FW position, which results in pulled shots, fades that I don't want, and fat shots. Just laziness.

This is probably something I struggle with without even knowing.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

• 2 weeks later...

Once you line up & you think you're set  ....  drop your left foot back a bit, say 4- 5".  This in turn will make you aim straighter without even thinking about it.  Just make sure your hips & shoulders are along that same line as well.

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Archived