TESTERS WANTED! ×

Age and course length

JDHolmes

I havent seen this topic though I'm sure its been thought about. I had this thought after reading a lengthy post/chain from a guy who was improving and posted score cards.

I'm curious what age you are and what the standard scorecard length of the course you normally play. It would also be interesting to know wjether it is muni or private. This curiosity started because the poster was playing 5600 yds and scoring +5.

Me, I generally play a muni from the white tee box which is posted at 6700ish yards. I'm 59 now. Also interesting is I play GC Am Tour seniors and they generally play at or less than 6300 and I find my driver doesnt get a lot of use.

So, if you would, talk about your stuff.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Good topic.

I'm 58 and my home course has two course. Each from the White are 6200 and 6300 respectively.

Golds (senior If you will) are about 5800-5900 on each.

I usually I play the whites bit struggle to reach many of the par 4's that are 390 to 413.

But many of our leagues and competition are played from the White. So that's where u play. My index is 17.9.

Funny about 10 years ago I played here regularly and played the Blues at 6700 and reached many of them with wedges or short irons.

My drives from the whites now are 30 yards short of where I used to drive from the Blues.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Our white tees is where our seniors play are only 5526 however we have only one par five on the front (par 35).  All three of our par fives are on the short side however we have some longish type par fours that make this overall yardage play tougher than what you see on the scorecard.  The greens are also very tough which is the main defense of our course.  The back tees are 6678 and although short for you long knockers, I can guarantee you will have all the challenge you care for.  

I will be 67 in November which is not too old however I have plenty of broken down old joints. :D 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I'm 44 and most courses we play are 6100 to 6500 here in Memphis.

BigTazz

Chicks dig the LONG ball!

Follow me and #TeamLexi

#J_Wurz

#EthanSterlingPrice

#strokerAce

during the #CobraConnectChallenge

Twitter:  @bigtazzGOLF

Instagram: bigtazzgolf

Facebook: steve.rayburn

#PowerToThePlayer  #CobraConnectMGS

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Great topic!!!! For starters I think it matters where you live. The FGA prescribes 6500 as the yardage for expert players 55-65. I'm 60 so I play at 6460. Trust me the difficulties around the greens at my course more than make up for of those 40 yards. :)

I'm at 5.6 generally playing from those tees. And I play less than once a week. I still believe that I can get back to 1 if I have time to play.

Why not?

Tomorrow is always better than today!

It's what makes golf great.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My course is a muni, and set up a little different than most in my area.  It's a par 72 with par 37 on the front and par 35 on the back.  It's 6700 from the tips; 6100 from the Blues, and 5400 from the Whites which is where the seniors play.  It's interesting because all other courses in my local area are 6000-6200 from the Whites.  People that come to play that aren't familiar with the course will head for the whites, which probably makes play faster than it would be otherwise.

I'm 70 and play from the Blues.  I'm pushing the limit on the longer par 4's, the 200+y par 3, and the 590y par 5 when the wind blows.  I've played from the Whites a few times when playing with friends, and to be honest, I don't score all that much better.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My course is a muni, and set up a little different than most in my area. It's a par 72 with par 37 on the front and par 35 on the back. It's 6700 from the tips; 6100 from the Blues, and 5400 from the Whites which is where the seniors play. It's interesting because all other courses in my local area are 6000-6200 from the Whites. People that come to play that aren't familiar with the course will head for the whites, which probably makes play faster than it would be otherwise.

I'm 70 and play from the Blues. I'm pushing the limit on the longer par 4's, the 200+y par 3, and the 590y par 5 when the wind blows. I've played from the Whites a few times when playing with friends, and to be honest, I don't score all that much better.

That's interesting about your play from the shorter tees. If I move up to our green tees, I always play worse.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I'm 61, and play the normal men's tees at my club, about 6200 yards.  I occasionally will play the back tees, at over 6750.  From the back tees, I'm hitting 4i or hybrid second shots on 3 or 4 of the par 4 holes, and can't reach any of the par 5s in two.  I like both sets of tees, the course plays very differently, but adding over 30 yards per hole makes things a whole lot tougher for me.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I and 52 and my primary course is semi private and plays 6554 from the blues.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have been on this earth for 69 years.   And as I have aged, I have found that playing shorter tees accommodates my aging skill level as well.   I can survive courses measuring 6,300 to 6,200 yards, but find courses under 6,000 yards to be much less embarrassing.   For some reason, even a 400 to 300 yard variance, at times, can mean 4 to 5 strokes less.   Additionally, I have found that not only has my need for shorter courses grown, but I have become shorter as well.   While my vertical measurement has become less, it has been compensated by an increase in my horizonal measurement, so to speak.

ARLScoreCard2013.pdfFFXScoreCard2013.pdf

I am 55, and primarily play from the white tees at my home courses (averaging about 5900 to 6100).  I will occasionally play from the blues, depending on what my playing partner wants.  White is where the vast majority of my weekend group (most retired and about 10 years my senior) play from, therefore I play from there.  I can jump back, but need the additional two strokes that my index provides when I move back.  I have never been the longest, but when  I hit tthe fairway consistently I play much better (DUHHHH), regardless of length.

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

That's interesting about your play from the shorter tees. If I move up to our green tees, I always play worse.

It's interesting how my course is set up between the Blues and the Whites.  There is quite a bit of difference in the yardages, but the difference occurs on only certain holes.  So, essentially the course doesn't play all that different for me from either tee.  For example, we have some short par 4's and on one hole there is quite a difference in yardage, but the difference only means using a GW instead of a 9i for the approach.  Not much difference in the result for me.  On the 590y par 5 the difference is only about 10y, so again no difference.  There are two dogleg par 5's where the difference is maybe 50y but the layout of the holes only means for me that I use a different club to layup for my 3rd shot; I'm not getting to the green anyway.  The most significant difference in terms of scoring for me between the two tees is the 200+y par 3.  From the Blues it plays anywhere from 180-215 and usually into the wind.  From the Whites it plays 135-170.  BTW, it's 249y to the middle from the Blacks.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

attachicon.gifARLScoreCard2013.pdfattachicon.gifFFXScoreCard2013.pdf

I am 55, and primarily play from the white tees at my home courses (averaging about 5900 to 6100).  I will occasionally play from the blues, depending on what my playing partner wants.  White is where the vast majority of my weekend group (most retired and about 10 years my senior) play from, therefore I play from there.  I can jump back, but need the additional two strokes that my index provides when I move back.  I have never been the longest, but when  I hit tthe fairway consistently I play much better (DUHHHH), regardless of length.

Since you have significant experience playing golf with those 10 years your senior, then you have the needed experience regarding certain seasoned golfers such as myself.   Therefore, when we have the opportunity for a round of golf together, perhaps, it will be less stressful on you.  

I'm 66 ... I also play on the Golf Channel AM Tour out of Los Angeles for the past 10 or 11 years. I moved to the Senior Sarazen flight from the regular Sarazen as my drives now carry 230 - 240 + roll. So cannot play blue tees on the AM Tour, anymore & be competitive. Back at the white tees ... & AM Tour sets us up at 6300 yards on average. My Muni - The Ditch (Shorecliffs) - blue tees are about 6300 yards of nastiness. I play blues there. I score 82 - 92 depending on amount of beers consumed.

I play the senior tees at about 5600 yds., age 70.

I never could hit driver, now I have an excuse not to and don't even carry one. Longest club in my bag is a 5 wood.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My driver is the most consistent club in my bag.  All the other clubs have the potential of hitting a ball fat or thin, but the ball is sitting on a tee so I'm guaranteed of not doing that.  I can't afford to lose distance by hitting a shorter club.

at 48 and a little change.. I play Muni courses and typically Play from the whites and they usuallly play in the 5900-6100 range. A few are a little less but not much.. 

I played gamble sands at their Orange tee's or back tee, they have purple they refer to as medal.. that was 6800 and that didn't play too long.. 

I do like to play longer once in a while just for gits and shiggles.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I am 45 and play muni courses every weekend.  I have played about 15 different courses this year and the yardage is so different its hard to have a standard.  I play with my son and we will play the back tees - these range from 7100 yards down to 6200 yards depending on the course.  My scores are pretty close to the same regardless of length because my putting and chipping are horrible.

I'm 66 ... I also play on the Golf Channel AM Tour out of Los Angeles for the past 10 or 11 years. I moved to the Senior Sarazen flight from the regular Sarazen as my drives now carry 230 - 240 + roll. So cannot play blue tees on the AM Tour, anymore & be competitive. Back at the white tees ... & AM Tour sets us up at 6300 yards on average. My Muni - The Ditch (Shorecliffs) - blue tees are about 6300 yards of nastiness. I play blues there. I score 82 - 92 depending on amount of beers consumed.

More beer = lower score I assume

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have been on this earth for 69 years. And as I have aged, I have found that playing shorter tees accommodates my aging skill level as well. I can survive courses measuring 6,300 to 6,200 yards, but find courses under 6,000 yards to be much less embarrassing. For some reason, even a 400 to 300 yard variance, at times, can mean 4 to 5 strokes less. Additionally, I have found that not only has my need for shorter courses grown, but I have become shorter as well. While my vertical measurement has become less, it has been compensated by an increase in my horizonal measurement, so to speak.

I think u write my post except I'll be 71 next month. Late last year I moved from the blues to the white tees and glad I did. Next move to the green senior tees. Still a ways off.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

64.  Started a thread a few months ago called "When I'm 64.." chronicling the distance gains I had achieved in the previous 6 months after a few lessons from a new pro.  A couple of months later, still can say I'm still 1.5 to 2 clubs longer on my irons, but the driver has backed off to maybe 15 to 20 yds more than previous.  The point being, I played 32 years at a very consistent distance per club, then all of a sudden with a couple of very pertinent lessons, I'm hitting much longer at a more advanced age.  So, I don't know that the 60s (or 50s) ought to be that much of an impediment to keeping one's distance.

All that being said, we play white tees almost all the time at about 6,150 yds.  Though the blues at 6500 are not that much tougher, except for the two back nine par threes that come in at 230 and 190 versus 180 and 165.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

6700 pretty long

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

No way for me anymore.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'll be 30 this month and I'll play any distance. Longest was 7500 yards which was a lot of fun. Most of the time I'm around 6500 yards

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I think u write my post except I'll be 71 next month. Late last year I moved from the blues to the white tees and glad I did. Next move to the green senior tees. Still a ways off.

My wife is 61 and plays our Red or White tees, depending on whether she loses rock/paper/scissors with the starter. Most all of the ladies play from the Red tees.  She keeps saying that the men keep moving up tees when they get older, but where do the ladies play when they get older?  

My wife is 61 and plays our Red or White tees, depending on whether she loses rock/paper/scissors with the starter. Most all of the ladies play from the Red tees. She keeps saying that the men keep moving up tees when they get older, but where do the ladies play when they get older?

In the kitchen

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

In the kitchen

That's funny, dangerous but funny.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I am 45 and my home course is 6400 from the white tees and closer to 7000 from the blues

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

I'll be 40 in 4 months. I generally play from 6800 to 7100. I don't really like to play much shorter than 6800 because it's basically driver and some kind of wedge on nearly every par 4. I don't like to play over 7100 because I'm not a pro and I find that 7100 is a good challenge for my game. Played last Friday and this past Monday. Friday from 7100 and shot 76. Monday from 6850 and shot 77.

Even thru 9 both rounds...

Archived