Age and course length

JDHolmes

64.  Started a thread a few months ago called "When I'm 64.." chronicling the distance gains I had achieved in the previous 6 months after a few lessons from a new pro.  A couple of months later, still can say I'm still 1.5 to 2 clubs longer on my irons, but the driver has backed off to maybe 15 to 20 yds more than previous.  The point being, I played 32 years at a very consistent distance per club, then all of a sudden with a couple of very pertinent lessons, I'm hitting much longer at a more advanced age.  So, I don't know that the 60s (or 50s) ought to be that much of an impediment to keeping one's distance.

All that being said, we play white tees almost all the time at about 6,150 yds.  Though the blues at 6500 are not that much tougher, except for the two back nine par threes that come in at 230 and 190 versus 180 and 165.  

• Like 4

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

6700 pretty long

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

No way for me anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Wedges; Titleist S9 54*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I'll be 30 this month and I'll play any distance. Longest was 7500 yards which was a lot of fun. Most of the time I'm around 6500 yards

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I think u write my post except I'll be 71 next month. Late last year I moved from the blues to the white tees and glad I did. Next move to the green senior tees. Still a ways off.

My wife is 61 and plays our Red or White tees, depending on whether she loses rock/paper/scissors with the starter. Most all of the ladies play from the Red tees.  She keeps saying that the men keep moving up tees when they get older, but where do the ladies play when they get older?  

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My wife is 61 and plays our Red or White tees, depending on whether she loses rock/paper/scissors with the starter. Most all of the ladies play from the Red tees. She keeps saying that the men keep moving up tees when they get older, but where do the ladies play when they get older?

In the kitchen

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

In the kitchen

My wife has been playing golf since 1963, and on certain days her score is better than mine.  BTW, she hates cooking.  

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

In the kitchen

That's funny, dangerous but funny.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Wedges; Titleist S9 54*

I am 45 and my home course is 6400 from the white tees and closer to 7000 from the blues

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges: :cleveland-small:     RTX Zipcore - LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Barbados Island 2
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

I'll be 40 in 4 months. I generally play from 6800 to 7100. I don't really like to play much shorter than 6800 because it's basically driver and some kind of wedge on nearly every par 4. I don't like to play over 7100 because I'm not a pro and I find that 7100 is a good challenge for my game. Played last Friday and this past Monday. Friday from 7100 and shot 76. Monday from 6850 and shot 77.

Even thru 9 both rounds...

• Like 2

My wife is 61 and plays our Red or White tees, depending on whether she loses rock/paper/scissors with the starter. Most all of the ladies play from the Red tees.  She keeps saying that the men keep moving up tees when they get older, but where do the ladies play when they get older?  

A friend of mine's wife says the exact same thing.   Like your wife, she is a pretty good golfer, but plays from the forward tees only because they are perceived to be the Ladies Tees.   Therein, lies part of the problem, through tradition or some other means, the teeing areas have been given certain designations--the Championship tees, the Regular Men's tees, the Senior tees, and the Ladies tees.   So regardless of skill level, many select tee use based on those designations.   The reality is that tee use should be based on skill level, not designations.  That would include the ladies, they should not be expected to just go to the perceived Ladies tees, if they have the skill level to play other tees. I must admit that I am as guilty as anyone, I didn't move up to the designated Senior tees until I became a Senior.   I think the USGA is trying to address this with its "Play It Forward" initiative, but I don't give it much chance of a success in the near future.   

• Like 3

A friend of mine's wife says the exact same thing. Like your wife, she is a pretty good golfer, but plays from the forward tees only because they are perceived to be the Ladies Tees. Therein, lies part of the problem, through tradition or some other means, the teeing areas have been given certain designations--the Championship tees, the Regular Men's tees, the Senior tees, and the Ladies tees. So regardless of skill level, many select tee use based on those designations. The reality is that tee use should be based on skill level, not designations. That would include the ladies, they should not be expected to just go to the perceived Ladies tees, if they have the skill level to play other tees. I must admit that I am as guilty as anyone, I didn't move up to the designated Senior tees until I became a Senior. I think the USGA is trying to address this with its "Play It Forward" initiative, but I don't give it much chance of a success in the near future.

The Villages added another set of tees just for that problem. They call them the "Friendly Tees". It lets the "older" women & men still play and the best part not hold the groups in back of them up.

The Groundskeeper just added a tee box that is off to the side of the fairways and do not get in the way. Seems to work .

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Wedges; Titleist S9 54*

The 2 courses I play the most are 5650 and 6300, but are very different in their setup as the shorter one has very tight fairways, long par 3s, very rough rough & small but fast greens, the other has generally wide fairways, moderate rough, larger but slower greens and only one long par 3.

I can generally cover the distances to reach the green in regulation, if not necessarily accurate enough to do it consistently - lol

I consider the longer course the easiest, but the devil in my scoring is my short game ;)

• Like 3

What's In The Bag

Driver :titelist-small:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Tom Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 569-A

Hybrid  :cleveland-small: Hibore 22* Aldila VS Proto Blue

Irons  :ping-small: G series 5-P

Wedges :ping-small:Glide 54* SS / 60* TS - SCOR 53*

Putter     :nike-small: Nike Method 001 / P2 Reflex grip 35"

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

The 2 courses I play the most are 5650 and 6300, but are very different in their setup as the shorter one has very tight fairways, long par 3s, very rough rough & small but fast greens, the other has generally wide fairways, moderate rough, larger but slower greens and only one long par 3.

I can generally cover the distances to reach the green in regulation, if not necessarily accurate enough to do it consistently - lol

I consider the longer course the easiest, but the devil in my scoring is my short game ;)

Those distances (white/blue) are similar to the course I played the most in CT. To me that was a good yardage spread.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Wedges; Titleist S9 54*

I'm about to be 54 in a month, my home course has a huge jump between tee boxes.

The Blue Tees are the regular men's tees and it's 6728 yards, I play these the most because we play all our MGA Events from these tees.

I end up with long irons into several par 4's and I can't reach any of the par 5's in two.

The White Tees are senior tees (60+ for MGA events) and play at 6023 yards...a 700 yard difference is huge gap...from here all par 5's are reachable and most par 4's I have 8 iron or less.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't played much this year, but a few years ago, before my 50th birthday, I played every day. There was a senior group that started on Thursday morning and one day they asked me to play and I moved up to the forward tees. I had visions of lots of birdies, new personal record, and perhaps a new course record.

Sadly, that was not the case.

I did play well, and it was very enjoyable and less stressful but at the end of the day my score was not much different than the other tees. May have shaved 2 or 3 strokes, but I may have done that anyway. Of course if I played those everyday my handicap would probably go down but not 8 strokes.

Having said that, I have also played a 7400 yard course. It took a really good drive for me to reach the fairway and had to hit fm's and hybrids into greens. That course added 15-18 strokes. I'm sure if I were stupid enough to play this monster everyday my handicap would go up 10 or more strokes.

The reason there are different tees has nothing to do with age or sex but how far you hit the ball. Of course sex and age does have a bearing on that.

• Like 2

Driver:      :taylormade-small:   Stealth Plus 10.5° on Mitsubishi  Kai’li  6S

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190 5w  On Project X Hzrdus Yellow

:ping-small:  G425MAX 7w  and 9w  on Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:    :ping-small:  G425MAX  5H  and  6H and 7H   on   TENSEI Blue 7S

Irons:     :cobra-small: King MB Black 8-P on KBS Tour Black Smoke 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP T5 Black 5 ES21 54° & 60° on KBS Hi Rev 2.0 

Putter:    :EVNROLL: ER5B

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1 :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I haven't played much this year, but a few years ago, before my 50th birthday, I played every day. There was a senior group that started on Thursday morning and one day they asked me to play and I moved up to the forward tees. I had visions of lots of birdies, new personal record, and perhaps a new course record.

Sadly, that was not the case.

I did play well, and it was very enjoyable and less stressful but at the end of the day my score was not much different than the other tees. May have shaved 2 or 3 strokes, but I may have done that anyway. Of course if I played those everyday my handicap would probably go down but not 8 strokes.

Having said that, I have also played a 7400 yard course. It took a really good drive for me to reach the fairway and had to hit fm's and hybrids into greens. That course added 15-18 strokes. I'm sure if I were stupid enough to play this monster everyday my handicap would go up 10 or more strokes.

The reason there are different tees has nothing to do with age or sex but how far you hit the ball. Of course sex and age does have a bearing on that.

How the heck are you my friend?

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

We've had this debate out our yearly golf outing. We have a guy who plays from the senior tee and is in his early 70s and still shoots mid-low 90s. Everyone else plays from the whites regardless of handicap (anywhere from high 70s to 120). He is in the running for all of the money, just not the overall trophy. He probably should have won last year, but the organizer of the outing said as much that he couldn't win the whole thing because he played different tees. I'm on board with that because if we're making the 120 shooters play back there, he should as well. I see the tees as being more of a handicap issue than an age issue.

• Like 1

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I moved up from the tips (6560y) at my home course 2 years ago to the men's regular tee (6030y). Our elevation is at 2800'. I'm 62 (soon to be 63 in a few months) The reason was... distance. I was getting hosed at the time by guys that hit their clubs farther. I kept finding myself pulling one-two clubs more than these guys over and over. I've never been a long hitter even in my younger days. Anyway... after I moved up I was now equal distance or slightly further by a few yards. Certainly not a full club though. At first there was a lot of grumbling with my decision. Some guys that needed to move up like me hesitated because, you know; real men play the tips! LOL Of course it wasn't long before others joined me. Especially the ones that needed too. Like me. Here's the deal... why should I have to play at a disadvantage? If these guys playing from the back tee are hitting a 9i or wedge on approach why should I have to hit a 7i? Nowadays they hit a wedge approach and so do I. Sounds pretty fair to me. When I play other courses in my area I play from similar distances plus or minus. My max distance is about 6500 anywhere. Perhaps even less when I play other courses around the country or state where the elevation is much lower. It makes a difference.

My home course is old school and short. But it's not a cake walk. It's fairways are tree-lined and narrow, small push-up greens that slope around the edges or with false fronts, and lot's of OB here and there with many water hazards. It's a more difficult course that other bigger, wider courses in the area that also have huge greens. Yesterday I played with some guys over at their course. It's a nice one and I played the white tee (men's regular) which measures on the card at 6100y. The back tee is about 6600y. The other two guys I played with started the first hole on the back tee. However, after the first hole they said, "if he's playing the white tee so am I." LOL We're all the same age but these two guys usually hit the ball farther than me. Our final scores for the match were: Plaid 76, guy1 72, guy3 77. If they had not moved up their scores would have been much higher. It was also windy with many holes playing directly into it.

Welcome to the club gentlemen! 

• Like 4

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

We've had this debate out our yearly golf outing. We have a guy who plays from the senior tee and is in his early 70s and still shoots mid-low 90s. Everyone else plays from the whites regardless of handicap (anywhere from high 70s to 120). He is in the running for all of the money, just not the overall trophy. He probably should have won last year, but the organizer of the outing said as much that he couldn't win the whole thing because he played different tees. I'm on board with that because if we're making the 120 shooters play back there, he should as well. I see the tees as being more of a handicap issue than an age issue.

In my case both age (71 in a few weeks) and 15 hdp. With that combo 6,000+/-, mostly minus works just fine.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Wedges; Titleist S9 54*