STUDque              Stage 1           Stage 2               Stage 3

Golfspy Meyer     Stage 1           Stage 2               Stage 3

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ODYSSEY O-WORKS

O-WORKS 2- BALL IN RED

Greetings fellow hackers!

Before getting started on this, my Thoughts and Prayers to everyone in the path of Irma, as well as those dealing with Harvey. As well as the fires out west. It's a crazy time right now, as Mother Nature reminds us all of who really is in charge.

God Bless!!!

Also a special shout out to Mygolfspy, who make experiences like this available on a regular basis, covering all things golf.

Well done, and a hearty "thank you" for trusting that I can get a decent review out there.

IMG_5830.JPG

The putter I will be reviewing is the Odyssey O Works 2-ball putter in red. One must admit, this thing is sexy in red, no?

IMG_231.jpg

IMG_2301.JPG

I'm a fairly decent player, and for the last few months, a deadly putter. My last official handicap was in the 8 range, but it's been years since I've kept up on it. I kind of got soured on the concept as all the local clubs have a reputation of padding their caps- then suddenly having a lucky good game in a competitive setting... I actually had a guy want me to do a few weekly "drive-bys " just to post some fictitious scores, to get my cap up to a useful point.

Anyways- I rarely shoot anything over 80 for the last fews years , so if I did have a real cap- it might be a 5-8 ish?

IMG_0233.PNG

Average card on a not-so great outing, but I can live with it.

Had some troubles with irons on and off throughout the round-

I'm 61 and play from blues mainly, my under par scores come when I play from the whites.... so far anyways, and living in the southwest allows me to play once or twice a week- all year round. I think that's one of the keys to a lower handicap.

IMG_2367.JPG

I'm a consistantly inconsistent player, but my misses usually aren't killer bad. On any given day I can crush drives dead straight all day, but the next week it can seem as though I've never swung a driver. But, I scramble and putt really well. Like this morning, on the first hole, I hit 3 trees on a 429 yard par 4, then sank a 30' putt to save bogie. I'm rarely "really out" of sorts, when I say inconsistent, I mean more like just a hair off the sweet spot, not like mega shanks or that type of miss.

My most annoying weakness is that I still can chunk a shot at any given moment. This game would be a lot easier if I could limit those, and not have to scramble! Nothing like ripping a 275 drive, then chunking the next shot 50 yards. Gahhhh!

I'm a lower ball flight type of hitter- a bit of a puncher I suppose. Low and hot until I get to the higher lofts, then they can soar a bit, but I do compress the ball a bit so most approaches stay fairly close to where they land.

I've always been a blade man with the putter, starting with the old Ping Ansers, that might be why I'm putting so good now. Ever since I started playing with the Nike Method putters, I've been really solid.

IMG_0232.JPG

Notice a trend?

I think that's why I'm so fascinated with the 2-ball putter. I mean it's only one of the best selling putters of all time. Ten to fifteen years ago this design was THE putter, but now, it seems to be less fashionable. Is that because it suddenly doesn't work any more, or does it have something to do with sponsorships? Who knows. Maybe the new color schemes bring the crowds back? The red and black matches the Spiders, so who knows. But what if this thing is what sets me over the top on putting? It obviously was a total game changer during the last decade. The new colors might be all that's needed to bring it back into a relevant position. Maybe, just maybe, I'm a mallet guy all along and never knew it? We will see soon enough.

I'm a low and slow backswing guy, with a smooth transition to the ball, then a pretty aggressive contact guy.

I think I'm clocking in the 95-105 swing speed with the driver, depending on a number of things. Time of the year, time of the day, temperature, etc...

I've always had a "knack" for the game, but I'm actually playing some of the best golf of my life right now. Yes I'm old as dirt, but I think my mental state is the best it's ever been. I really enjoy hanging out with the people I shoot with, and I think the equipment is really good now too. I have quit trying to over-power the game, and now try to use my brain more often to score, and I think that's really made the game a lot funner.

I've been playing golf on and off since I was 8, so that makes it approximately 53 years I've been playing now. Geez I'm old...

I guess one could say I'm a bit streaky at the game. I can get hot and really tear up the track for a few holes- and then I can lose my mojo in an instant and have a horrid half. It's not uncommon for me to shoot a six over front, then a three under back- in the same round. Or visa versa. My scores for the last few months have ranged from 68 to 80- kinda like a box of chocolates.

I have completely revamped my bag this last year, and have decided to let technology help me. I don't have the power that I had twenty years ago, and I'm not too stubborn to admit I could use a little help.

So now I bag the following:

Callaway DBD 816 driver

Callaway 816 3-wood

Callaway 815 hybrids, 20° and 24°

Mizzie MP-64's on kbs tour stiffs (but I just dropped a set of RC forged CB's on a R shaft into the bag.- first round was so good- the mizzie are on the shelf now.)

Vokey 55°, and 60°

Nike Method Converge putter

I've played mizzy blades for decades, never even thought about anything else. The MP-33 might be the finest club ever created. Then a few years ago I sold them and got some MP-64's. They too are some seriously nice feeling irons, and yes, pure butter is an accurate description. Then just a few weeks ago I bought some Royal Collection FD forged CB's on some 95 gram R shafts. I decided that it might be time to get some softer shafts as Father Time is creeping in on me. Let's see if these help an old man out.

I wore out the mats at golfsmith testing woods, looking for something, anything to beat out my old Jetspeed, and my Sonartec. ( interestingly enough I discovered the the old Sonartec was actually made by Royal Collection, the same Japanese club makers that made my new irons)

Finally, the Callaway Alphas showed up, and they quickly found a new home in my bag.

And again going with technology, I shelved the 4 and 5 irons, and went to the Callaway 815 hybrids. Simply awesome sticks.

I'm so blessed to live in Southern California, and it's very moderate climate, which allows me to play year round.

IMG_2423.JPG

It's like this all year round, seriously..

Although it's hotter than blue blazes right now- and let me emphasize, blue blazes are hot!

I feel pretty solid and confident of puting anything on the green from 150 in, and the closer in I get, the closer to the pin I get. 200 to 150, I just try to get on. 150 to 80, I try to get the pin side of the green, and 80 yards and in, I try to go pin hunting. If I miss the green it's usually pretty close, and then hopefully I can chip it in close enough for a one-putt. My putting is perhaps my best asset to my scoring. I'm usually within a few feet on long lag putts, and a 3 putt is really rare. Ever since I got my first Nike Method putter (based on it being the highest rated blade putter on MyGolfSpy's testing a few years ago) I have been money. Sometimes I make a lot of longer putts too. I've gotten to the point of thinking I can make any putt. Confidence is one of your best tools.

I think I can really give this 2-ball an honest review because I am so dialed in with putting right now. I can see the line and speed required.

I am bagging the O-Works 2 ball for the duration of this review, which will actually be a few months and multiple rounds long. My buddy thinks I'm crazy to mess with what I've got going on right now, but I'm always the guy who has to know if something can get better, even if it's really good at the moment. If this putter can do it- I'll definitely let you know. And if it doesn't cut the mustard, you'll hear about that too. It will have a very difficult time beating my Nike Converge, so I hope it's up to the challenge.

IMG_2295.JPG

IMG_2296.JPG

But enough about me right? Let's focus on what this review is all about. I'll tell you all about this putter in my stage two.

See you again soon!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Odyssey O-works 2-ball in red – Official MGS Forum Review by Doug Hanson- Stage two

AF94EDE1-F4A7-4083-86B1-17BB5402D596.jpeg

* LIE ANGLE 70°

* HEAD WEIGHT 350G

* LOFT 3°

* OFFSET FULL SHAFT

* HEAD TYPE MALLET

Player Biography

At the tender age of 61, it's finally become clear that my devastatingly rugged good looks combined with my vast collection of baby fat, is not contributing anything to increased equipment performance. So, I decided that it's in my best interest to buy a better game. So, newer woods, hybrids, cavity backs with lighter regular flex shafts have now populated my bag.

Callaway DBD 816 driver

Callaway 816 3-wood

Callaway 815 hybrids, 20° and 24°

Royal Collection fd forged CB's on Nippon NSPro 950GHp

Vokey 55°, and 60°

Nike Method Converge putter

Since I've played the game for about 53 years, I've seen the equipment change over the years, and I've also watched my game change over the years. I can tell you one thing for certain that these years of experience has taught me.

Don't get old and fat.

Just stay about 40. You're making money now, and you're still slim, strong, and pretty.

Trust me on this, OK?

I've never been a mallet guy, always used a blade. I was pretty much a decent putter but never remarkable. A few years back based on MGS blade putter of the year reviews, I got one of the Nike Method blade putters, and instantly got better. I don't know if it was the weight, or the sight line, or what, but I suddenly felt in control of the putter for once in my life. Then a year or two ago I got the Nike Method Converge putter and that's when I became nasty. It's not like I suddenly was putting 26-28 putts per round or anything, but I was in the lower 30's most of the time. And the 3- putt was rare as a 10 lb bass. I was making a few longer putts as well, but the key was that it was always within a foot or two. Some days it seemed like I would make them all. I would say that my putting took me from low 80's to mid 70's. So basically, I'm the last guy who needs to try a new putter. But, probably just like the majority of you guys, in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "what if it's a better putter for my game?"

It's just like when I'm bass fishing. I can be just killing them on a 7" brown plastic worm, but then I'm always the guy who thinks..." maybe they really want a black and blue jig"

In other words, I'm the guy who always thinks that no matter how good something is working, maybe something else will work better.

21AE5F1E-C768-4243-B377-41DF50DBF6A9.jpeg

Performance

Performance at the Range

Accuracy – I can hardly contain my excitement and confidence level as I strut out to the range to try this baby out. I mean it is so clean and sexy looking that I'm quite surprised it doesn't just hit them in all by itself. So plop 3 balls down at about 5 feet and line her up. I had no idea how brilliant the 2-ball concept is. There is absolutely no confusion about where the club is aimed when you frame this beauty behind your ball. I almost giggled to myself as I looked down the line as I saw how perfectly aligned I was. So I took my stroke and I missed! About an inch to the right. So I figured I must have just pushed it or something, and lined up ball number 2. Missed again!

So as you would imagine, I really concentrated on putt number three... missed again.

What kind of sadistic trick is Odyssey O-works pulling on me? So I then spent the next 45 minutes and about 200 putts trying to figure out how I suddenly can't putt to save my life. Everything is going right. Of course I got some to drop, but it just wasn't a natural feel. Decided I had enough, and dejectedly went home. I concluded that my blade stroke was not working with this putter.

Two days later, Trip two to the range, different place. Much faster surface. Placed 3 balls at about 3-4 feet, and dropped 2 of the three. Bingo, I said to myself, I've got it! But then spent the next half hour struggling to find any consistency. I had no problems lining up, I just couldn't get them to go into the hole.

895CC992-2156-4AAD-846E-C12E751A2B66.jpeg

57AA3404-8D17-4ABC-AFCE-E868DE2DF68F.jpeg

Are you able to consistently hit your target?

No! I don't get it. It has to be my swing as it lines up so perfectly. I've never been so frustrated on the putting green in my life.

Distance – My Nike Converge is so perfectly balanced, in my hands, that I actually could feel the correct distance as I made my stroke. I think that's why I've been so consistently nasty with it. This putter, the O-works 2-ball, is not giving me this feel- yet. At first I was lost on distance, as the putter actually feels too light. I would hit a 30 foot putt and come up short by a good 7-8 feet, then the very next putt I would try to give a little more, and then roll it past the cup by the same distance. Gahhh. I write this at about two weeks in, and after 4-5 visits to the range. It is slightly better than the first day tho. And this is for the longer putts, say 25 feet and up. The shorter putts are much more manageable for distance control. I have found that by having multiple trips to the range and playing a round in the same week, that I can get a better feeling of this putter.

Trajectory Characteristics – This is a topic meant for regular clubs, but I did want to throw in a quick thought as it comes to mind. This putter had this weird new face, like a bunch of micro- hinges surrounded by some type of polymer, that is actually supposed to impart a forward roll to reduce hopping or skipping. And I have to admit- it does that. Noticeably. It's actually kind of cool as you get used to it.- anyways, more on that later. The point being that it does control the trajectory by imparting that nice forward roll.

Forgiveness – To me, this putter likes you to hit the sweet spot and it's not very big. There is a noticeable feeling when you miss. And I think it's because it feels so good when you hit it square. The toe hit is a little weaker, and the heel hit actually hits the little badge and kind of clicks a tad.

2D45B956-C73F-4B77-BD8D-4DCC14DF679C.jpeg

Range Score: (6 out of 10 points)

Performance on the Course

Accuracy –

I have to admit that the 2-ball sitting behind your own ball gave the appearance of really being lined up. I mean I thought I was dead sure where it was going. And sometimes it did. Other times, it didn't. And I'm getting the feeling that the head weight is the problem.

It's critical with this putter that you use a “chicken wing” stroke, or lead with the elbow, to get the ball on line. Perhaps some people do that naturally as they putt, which makes them better suited to the mallet type of a putter. I had to really get properly in stance and exaggerate the move, rather than having any wrist in the stroke. I see the line clearly, and I think I'm on it, but very often I'm not. It's rather frustrating actually.

Consistency –

This is where I suffered the most. I was never really able to get a groove on, probably because it seemed so neutral in weight. And having to use the specific chicken wing stroke to get on line properly, I was never able to “feel” the distances in a regular fashion. I was long on one, then the next would be short. It really bums me out because it is such a good looking putter, I just want it to be perfect for me.

Course Score: (25 out of 40 points)

86092310-AAB2-4F5B-BE20-206D3A465372.jpeg

Performance Notes-

Were you pleased with how the 2- Ball performed?

Honestly... no. I did have a few games where I was not bad at all, but generally I never found the consistent groove with this stick.

Please compare and contrast it to what you are currently playing?

I normally play the Nike Converge B1/01 blade putter. It's black with some red highlights, and looks just like a batmobile. It's a blade with a slightly longer bottom shelf with real nice alignment groove. It's got a thin handle vs the 2.0 that's on the 2-ball. It has a “hefty if you will, and just seems to allow the stroke that has the distance you dial up. The 2-ball just doesn't seem to have any weight to it, despite looking like it will.

What factors were you pleased with?

It's a good looking putter, I mean really good looking. It just screams quality. From the micro hinge face, the red and with head, the 2.0 grip, it just looks good. I have had numerous comments from the people I play with who all think it's the bees knees.

How did it compare to your current gamer?

I think visually it's a better looking stick. But playability between the two is a country mile apart. The Converge makes you feel like you should hole every putt. The 2-ball makes me wonder if I'll get it close enough for a 2 putt.

Did you notice better production on the range or on the course more?

Definitely the range allows the 2-ball to work better, as you can hit numerous putts to get the “feel” for the distance, whereas on the course you get one shot at it. If you're still grasping, good luck.

What factors did you find lacking?

Well I think this is the topic where this putter is going to get flamed. The bottom of the putter has a weight insert, that will allow installation of a different weight. And perhaps with a heavier weight, it might have felt better. Now comes the rub. They don't give you any optional weights when you plunk down your $229 to buy one, or $249 if you decide to go with the black one. When I called customer care to discuss it, I was told to go to a dealer, and I could order a weight kit, for $50 more dollars!

Right?!?! So suddenly your $230 dollar putter is $280, or, $300 in black!

Then, I noticed the the grip had what appears to be a screw on top that would lead one to think that a counter weight system could be utilized to further “groove in” your swing weight. And when I asked how much that would cost, I was told to contact the maker of the grip- because they had nothing to do with that aspect. I mean really?

You sell a putter for a fairly substantial amount of money, and then tell the customer they'll need to shell out another wad of money for about $5 dollars worth of adjustments that potentially could create a lethal putter for the new owner. I would be way less than happy about this as a new owner. I am scoring this putter “as is”, because it is exactly as it can be purchased off the shelf, and it is not weighted correctly for me. It's a huge let down, and sour point indeed. And after the review period, I will probably start to tinker with the weights, just to see if it can get to where it works for me. But this review is based on what I was given to review, not what it “could be”, with additional expense and “tinkering”. So that's the unfortunate rub.

What improvements would you like to see?

Include the weight kits without adding on a substantial cost to the buyer. I also think a dead center thin alignment groove in black would be helpful. The 2-ball alignment is pretty good in itself, but then having an actual line dead center would be the final word for sure. Seems like a no-brained to me.

Lastly, they need to attach a suction cup to the top of the handle. I mean, there is no way to pick your ball up with this unit. Out of 1000 tries with the little lip on top, I've managed to scoop it up about 3 times. I guess they assume you'll putt out every last putt and need to reach down and pick it up with your hand. That's what we all do anyways, right? Uhh yeah....

What would you do away with?

I can't say I would do away with anything. I think it's a great looking putter, as well as a really nice cover.

37483635-E49A-4FC7-94B2-792C0920A08C.jpeg

8ECA44CE-BFCE-4E59-8565-411B4D744580.jpeg

Subjective

Looks

It's a beautiful club. Everyone instantly notices and comments about it. Yum Yum

It's the classic 2-ball head, with white balls and red frame. The face is super interesting to look at closely, with the little micro-hinges and black rubbery stuff. I mean it's really cool.

The bottom of the club is really highly detailed, and extremely sharp looking with the red tail and the weight insert, and the gloss black outlining a very cool cog shaped graphic, along with the fancy Oworks lettering. I mean there is nothing about it's appearance that says anything except high quality.

It's a visual treat to set this thing up behind your ball. I mean from the moment you pull it out of your bag and remove the super fancy magnetic cover- which in itself is totally delicious looking- to the nice chrome shaft up to the obviously high quality grip. I mean you just can't complain about anything. It looks good. Real good in fact.

Looks Score: (15 of 15 points)

Sound and Feel

I can't complain a bit about the the sound or feel of the face at contact. It isn't clicky or pingy, it actually has a very nice feel and sound. Like a firm “thud” I guess. But not like a deep thud, more like a tenor saxaphone. Sexy even perhaps. But, it likes the sweet spot. The heel is a click because there is a flat spot for an insignia, and the toe is a bit mushy, and it's not a giant face either, although the sweet spot is big enough to give yourself enough room for solid contact. But it lets you know if you've hit the sweet spot and the feeling is totally solid on a good clean hit. It's not sharp like a metal face, and it's not dead like those old polymer faces on this old pings. It's like right in the middle of that. It's a good feel for sure. And it's almost a mini trampoline effect on a sweet spot hit. Not a big springy push by any means, but it's that little forward roll business that the micro hinges impart. I really like that actually. It feels good. It's the technology that the putter is advertising as its main selling point, and I agree fully. It works. Too bad the weighting is too light overall, it seems like it could really be something.

Sound and Feel Score: (9 of 15 points)

385E924B-55D0-4232-A0AA-387A028B5E52.jpeg

D7B99EBD-6C6E-4FA6-8BA5-B2711F057AD1.jpeg

Likelihood of Purchase

This is a tough one actually, because it's a borderline price point for me. It's so good looking that it would push me more toward buying it. But after I did, and finding out that the weighting system needs to be purchased separately would really irritate me.

Knowing what I know now, is what I'm scoring my LOP on. If they decide, in the future, to include the weighting kit without the extra costs, then this would be a no brainer purchase. Especially for the mallet guys. But on the same token, I would not have a problem buying the blade, if it included the weights. The face is as good as it gets.

LOP Score: (10 of 20 points)

Conclusion

This is a stick that requires endless practice in my view, in order to both aim and to gauge distance correctly. If I get to the course early and spend 10-15 minutes getting my distance dialed in, it's reasonable. My putting has become so deadly in the last few years, while using the Nike Method blade putters, that it was almost as though I expected to make every putt. I have now played probably 10 rounds with the 2-ball, and have never come close to that feeling. And I have played it exclusively during the review period.

I hate to say it, but one thing that does bug me, is that you can't scoop your ball up with this thing- just can't do it! Unfortunately it just illustrates how lazy I am I guess haha.

And the final death blow is the lack of a weight kit, actually the lack of even addressing the fact that it “does exist”in the putter. I mean it's already there!

They can't even include the few extra parts that could potentially create a putter that the owner can adjust to his own feel to really dial it in. I just don't get that lack of oversight. If I ran that division of the company, I would be embarrassed to get called out on this omission.

Total Score: (65 out of 100)

7D3EB714-8562-4BFA-A9E9-47C564C63948.jpeg

Doesn't this give you the impression that it's a counter weight slot?

255F00CC-94DC-4CFD-AE06-B879A67E461D.jpeg

Back edge is the screw in, interchangeable weight, except they don't give them to you, you have to pay for them...

A5014351-A23A-42BE-8829-123C41B295C8.jpeg

CA8F8A5E-DB04-479F-9C6E-78E748273EAE.jpeg

62465863-3D29-4AE8-994D-15BD6F9EE095.jpeg

Placeholder Stage 3

Placeholder Stage 1

Thank you to MGS for this opportunity, and thank you to the MGS community for your interest in this review.My story in Brief; My name is Tim and I grew up in a small farm community located in western NY, and in a rather financially strapped home. My dad was self-employed and when I was six, he developed cancer. He survived and as reward had to pay for it all himself as we had no insurance. We children played outside a lot, with the toys my dad retrieved from the local landfill. Golf was nowhere close to my radar. Flash forward to college. I had as many student loans as I could, but had to supplement by working a couple of part time jobs. That was about 50 hours of work a week on top of the classes, etc… Again, Golf was nowhere close to my radar. Forward some more to my first real job out of college, and the sales people all talked about golf. Of course I was clueless. One of my coworkers felt bad and gave me an old set of irons, and an old driver and 3 wood. I took them to the driving range after work and Hacked away. Somehow I figured out how to hit the ball pretty straight. I was stoked when I could play a round of golf, and be under 130. Then came along this beautiful women that stole my heart and all my spare time. We married, and by our second anniversary we had 3 children. Yes that is correct. My daughter is 13 months older than her twin brothers. Again, golf became a thing of the past and nowhere close to my radar. With the positions I held over the years I was the obligatory 4th for a couple of rounds of golf each year, and as such I was absolutely HORRIBLE. I did not enjoy the game at all and thought about getting rid of those rusty old clubs. Something deep inside kept me from giving up. So now, years later my children are 11 and 12 years of age and they approach my wife and I about this thing called “First Tee” that they want to try, and here is where my story of Golf really begins. We enrolled them in the program, and either my wife or I went to every lesson. Soon it was me there listening more than the children. I was pulled into the art of ball striking, and chipping, and putting and I now needed clubs. I began to play with the people from work from time to time, and bought a used set of Spaulding clubs, Adams Driver and Wilson 3 wood. It took till the children were out of high school before I had “Me” time to actually learn how to play. So at age 47 I began the long journey. Between then and last year I have had several different used clubs from a Mizzuno Driver to Nikent Irons. Last year I finally broke down and bought new clubs. Being older it has not always been easy. I played Hockey and Baseball in my youth so you can only imagine what my swing looked like. Today I play with Nike VRS Covert Irons, an Acculine 305MID (AL-M1) “blade” putter, (This is the Putter that I have had for many years). Upswing 60* wedge and Tommy Amour Sand and Gap. My Driver is Taylor Made Jet Speed, and my 3 wood is Titleist 980F. Sometimes I put the 3 hybrid Ram in the bag. My balls of choice is Titleist Pro V1, Taylor Made +, and Callaway Chrome. My swing is an inside out type and I constantly struggle to keep my left foot firmly on the ground and not to lift as if I am going to hit a fast ball.Acculine 305MID (AL-M1) IMG_20170910_190629934_HDR.jpgA favorite course picture Par 3.IMG_20170824_173028402.jpgI almost always miss right and as a result I tend to set up way left on my swing. If I ever were able to fix my swing I'd end up hitting everything left. As you can imagine my swing tempo is reminiscent of a baseball swing, so heavy on the downswing. Causing most of my ball flight to be low and fast. Mostly top spin, which works great to give that extra bounce down the fairway. (When hit) I have never had my swing measured for speed, so I would have to guess on that. My drives can be 200 yds, all the way to 300 yds. All depending on how they are struck. Currently I have been told by some my handicap would be about a 16, but I only have their advice to work from. I play in the Central Ohio area so I have a pretty good season. My son and I have even played late November with a light snow falling. Yes you can say I have become a bit obsessed about the game. So here is where the story of the 1W Odyssey putter begins.IMG_20170818_171154100.jpgIMG_20170818_171259868.jpgIMG_20170818_171330802.jpgI have always been a strong putter, I believe due to my job. I create in 2D on CAD but need to see in my mind the 3D finished product. That has helped me see the Eb and Flow of the green. Although I am still learning about the grass and grain aspects. For me taking a deep breath and exhaling just before I strike the ball has been my best way to focus. The reason I am so pumped about this test is I have been looking at and testing putters for several years now, and I have not found one that I like. The feel in my hands, how it strikes the ball, and the look of the putter all seem to miss the mark compared to the one I purchased many years ago. After playing around with the putter at home I believe I have finally found it. The putter is weighted heavy on the bottom, light on the grip that gives a confident feel to the putting stroke. The oversized grip makes my hands feel more relaxed and the unique face appears to pop the ball off. Truly the test of time will show whether these feelings are justified.IMG_20170910_170011606_HDR.jpgIMG_20170820_133032367.jpgIMG_20170820_133057748.jpgIMG_20170820_133140441.jpgAnd now the work begins.

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Placeholder Stage 2

Currently I play with an ACCULINE model 309 MID. It is a Blade style putter that I purchased over 20 years ago. It has great marking for lining up putts, and a solid face for clean ball striking. I have tried mallet styles, and “glass filled” models, even solid brass old school putters. None have given me the feel or control I get with the Acculine. Based on the picture from stage 1 it is clear it has been used, and at times, unfortunately abused. Through all that, it still performs tremendously. Those I play with will tell you that putting is the strongest part of my game. Now with that being stated it is time to retire the Acculine. But with what?

Then along came an “O Works” that sat down beside me, craving the greens and balls. Its face was all springy and its head somewhat weighty, its grip was puffy and its look was all shinny. I knew in a moment this HAD TO BE IT! So open the box, tare off the plastic, and grab hold of the handle. With a wistful swoosh of the putter, excitement did grow. Now Putt away, Putt away, Putt away ALL!

OK, So I may have been a bit carried away. Let's see if this truly performs as it is advertised. I will say right up front. I have some concern about the new face. How well will the “hinge” design hold up long term. Will the spring start to diminish? Can there be “dead” spots created over continuous ball striking in the same spot? If there is a weakening in the hinge design, will that lead to the ball being pushed out of the putting line? With that being stated, let's look at what the Odyssey website has to say about the new face.

Unmatched Roll with our New Micro hinge Face Insert
This new technology will change the way people look at roll off the putter face forever. Our Micro hinge Insert Technology provides incredible gains in topspin and roll at impact regardless of your stroke. The stainless steel Micro hinge plate is co-molded into our Thermoplastic Elastomer Feel Layer, providing great feel and the new geometry of the hinges and urethane together help to get the ball into a better roll at impact.
Secondly here is what is stated about the alignment aids?

New and Improved Versa Alignment Technology
Major championships…check. This revolutionary high contrast alignment technology allows your eyes to key in on the linear designs to highlight the proper face angle from address to impact for alignment throughout your putting stroke. The new red highlight lines give you an additional aid to make sure you're lined up exactly to your target.

To this I will refer back to my Acculine, it has very pronounced alignment, so this is not new, and I feel should be a standard for all putters. I also had an older pistol style grip on the putter, and wanted to try a larger grip. I chose the Super Stroke 2.0 MID for my putter. I have to say I love the feel, and the confidence it gives me when holding the putter. I find my hands more relaxed, and that lets me concentrate on the swing, verses grip. It is amazing how true the striking is when you are only thinking about the line. I will say that I did feel the ball spring off the putter when I played around with it at the house. However; no one has ever had a great round in their living room. . So let's get this testing underway

Hm6nwzl - Imgur.png

3vwXiRo - Imgur.png

• Feel
o The counterweight and grip I chose work well together. The putter has a balanced feel.
The super stroke grip I found to help me to calm my grip down, giving a “looser” grip on the putter allows for a more free swing.

• Performance
o I chose a hole on the putting green that had a hill and possible double break as well as the longest distance.
I chose the hole, placed the ball and putted, not taking time to read the line, break, or distance. I then used the next series of putts to close in on the hole. I wanted to see how long it would take with each of my putters. One being my current Acculine, and the other being the Odyssey 1W. the distance turned out to be 35 ft, with a 3 foot uphill grade in front of the hole and there were 2 breaks. One at the top of the incline and then one about 3ft from the pin.
Results: Acculine took 12 putts to find the bottom of the cup.
Ball spacing was about 8 ft.
1W took 7 putts to find the bottom of the cup.
Ball spacing was about 4 ft.
Also to note, I did not use the exact same location for them both, so as to not use what I had learned to skew results.

• Ball reaction – I have a video for both putters
o Toe
 Did not alter direction
o Middle
 Stayed true to the strike
o Heel
• Did not alter the direction
My old putter vs the 1W, both kept the balls working in a forward line. However; the 1W balls, also kept almost pure the distance between them after being hit with the putter

Putt results on the course:

• Reaction on greens

I found the putter to perform as it did on the practice green. There was no extra effort required, and the ball reacted the same off the front of the putter. The unique hinged face does exactly what it advertises.

• Reaction if putting just off the green
Here is where I noticed a difference. The 1W had some issues with the taller grass, grabbing at the bottom of the mallet. I found that I had some problems with pure striking. I have a video where I purposely hit the ball on the toe, and miss aligned to see how the ball would react. The ball really shot out towards the right. I also noticed, but did not video that the ball would want to pop up at impact in the tall grass. This did not help the alignment as it would then bounce and roll based on where, and how it hit the green.

• Effort in striking
There was less force involved in the putter movement to strike the ball. What I found was there were more moments where I hit too lightly and came up way short. Once I was able to find a stroke rythmn the putts were cleaner, and the distance control was confident.

• Purity to line

(video from the practice green, how it demonstrates the purity of the striking area on the face). If you hit the putt square, the ball will roll with confidence. I feel that is a good closing argument for this putter's performance.

Overall Performance Rating System I used has a total of 50 pts.

Looks/Appearance ( 0-15)

• Color
o The colors are professional and the head cover is a great compliment. I am a plain guy, so no neon, or bright colors for me. Simple is elegant!

• Shape
o For me the large putter head, with overstated direction lines works great for me. I have always played with a blade style putter. If I wanted to have this huge chunk of metal with things dangling off the back I would go for the other mallet styles. For me that is more of a disturbance.

• Graphics
o I am very pleased with the look of the putter. I don't want a billboard in my hands.

• Style
o The unique face, coupled with the color choices make this putter a great addition to any bag.

Rating: 12

Sound/Feel (0-15)

• Sound off face
It is a clean click off the face. I prefer the sound to the one my old putter made.

• Club feel striking ball
When I first struck the ball I did not feel the ball. Because of the weight layout and the Super Stroke grip, I had to concentrate on “feeling” the ball come in contact with the face. This is a bit unnerving until you play around with it for a while. I now have to say I like it. If take some of the nuances out of ball striking for me.

• Club reaction when striking

As stated, you don't have a great feel of the strike, so it is even more important to feel the entire stroke. The club, will not Bounce, or Twist on you.

• Ball reaction
The ball does have a tendency to “Pop” off the face. This gave a great roll and I feel a better chance of accuracy. My Acculine did roll well, but I had to compensate by how I struck to ball.

Rating: 12

Purchase LOP (0-20)

• Price Point - My particular Putter online lists for $229.00 I believe this to be a bit on the high side of price point with comparable brands out there. Although I feel Golf Clubs in general are over priced.

• Yes/No - I would consider purchasing this putter if I had not had this opportunity
o Why? Because for me it performs exactly as I want it too. It is also what I have been looking for in style. Again the only thing that would really cause me to think twice is the price.

Rating 14

Overall Rating: 38 out of 50

Summary

The Odyssey 1W “O-Works” putter is truly beautiful. I find the graphics to be clean, well thought out, and clearly define it. Even the head cover has a classic look about it. For me not having used a “thicker” grip on a putter before was eye opening. I can't believe I didn't change the grip on my old putter. I did not purchase the extra weight set that is now available, so I cannot speak to the performance pros or cons that it can provide. For me the way the putter was weighted fit my style of play and gave me confidence in my stroke. It allowed me to be more focused on direction and clean contact with the ball. I noticed that my putts were a bit faster off the face and that did require some playing around to get speed and distance consistent.
I do not have some deep insight into my grading system, but rather one of feelings. Often I have found golf to be part mechanics and more so feeling. You can have a mechanically sound swing, yet miss more fairways, less GIR and increased frustrations. You have to see and feel every shot you attempt. Therefore your club in use is in reality an extension of you. If you don't feel that extension the club will never work right, and you will be frustrated. I can say with the use I have had with the 1W I never felt frustrated. So even though the score I gave may look low, it is right where it should be.
The 1W has found a permanent place in my bag and I cannot foresee that changing. I thank MGS again for the opportunity to test and ultimately keep this fine club.

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

Placeholder Stage 3

I would like to start the wrap up review of the Odyssey putter with a very big thank you to MGS for this great opportunity.  This was a learning experience for me and one I will use when looking at other clubs to replace ones in my bag currently.  I enjoy the respect and honest input that is such a large part of this forum.

IMG_20170820_133057748.jpg

IMG_20170820_133107660.jpg

So the questions that everyone is waiting on...

1.  Will the Odyssey O-Works 1W be in my bag?

That would be a big YES.  As I have referenced in the other posts, I have been looking for a replacement to my current putter for some time. For me the putter fits my style and ability on the putting green.  It has helped my focus, and I feel confident in the ball striking.   Currently it resides in my bag, although my clubs now reside in the garage for the winter, which is rather a depressing statement.  I may venture out if there is a day over 50 and not so wet, or snow covered, but for the most part I am now searching for a good indoor facility to keep sharp.

2.  Would I recommend?

From my statement above you would think that to be an obvious yes, however; putters are a unique club, and as such it is a very personal decision.  I believe more so than any other club.  Even within the O-works there are several styles to choose from.  I believe that to be the case for Callaway as a catch all blanket.  Yes the putter works great for me, and if anyone were to ask what I thought was a good putter to start with when looking I would say Odyssey.  But for me to offer anymore than that would be overstepping the line.  I am not a trained professional, nor do I play golf for a living, (although that is a LARGE fantasy of mine).  As for the features I will talk more in a bit.

imagesB8JBL7W3.jpg

3. Does my opinion of Odyssey/Callaway change as a result of this review?

For me personally, Callaway has always been a top line company and a great product. In this ever changing environment of golf product lines competition is crazy. the unique hinge face sets the bar regarding innovation. This only adds to my own thoughts of Callaway golf.

4. Features to change/needed/or should be removed.

Love the hinged face technology. It was something I was unsure of, but once I played with it for awhile I came to like. The performance was the same on the putting surface as was on the fringe. The ball always rolled true. I would add, true to the direction I hit. I will reserve final comment on the hinge technology till I have had a year to play with it. I am still a bit skeptical on the life span of the hinge. Did not like the fact that the weight kit was an after thought and costly addition. What if after purchasing I found them to be a negative to the performance of the putter. I would be stuck with them, or possibly sell at a loss I am sure. That was a miscue for Callaway/Odyseey for sure. They should also offer a broader spectrum of standard grips. I did like the one I chose.

5. Features I would like to see built on.

firstly the hinge technology. I would love for them to take that new technology even farther. How could they incorporate the feel of the ball into the club, and grip more. As we all know putting is as much about feel as reading the greens. To be able to feel the ball at impact even more, I feel would be a great tool. Adding the weight kits, with a tutorial on how and why they might be used. That way there would be no confusion and could even be added to the advertising campaign.

Thanks again for stopping by. I look forward to seeing you on the course sometime.

Stage 1: Odyssey O-Works V-Line Fang CH

Gratitude: Before I get started, I want to take a second to thank the powers that be at MGS for this opportunity. The review model of “by the people and for the people” is totally awesome and, in my opinion, it provides the most value for golfers looking to make a purchase decision. I don't want always want to hear from a professional reviewer that may or may not be sponsored by the same equipment he's evaluating.

Throughout this review, I've linked additional references to expand on the content I'll be providing. Ready to start?

KpVYbPg.gif

Here's a quick look at the putter I'll be reviewing. Neat huh?

WVkiHGm.jpg

Introduction: *Stands Up* Hello, my name is Enrique and I'm a golf addict. You may call me Rick if you prefer. Since this is my first review, I'm going to spend a little extra time introducing myself. I'm not a particularly funny person but will do my best to keep it light. I played baseball through college and a couple seasons in the minors until years of abusing my arm finally caught up with me. Once my baseball career was over, I had to find another way to stay competitive so golf chose me. This is my 7th season and I'm finally at the point where I can realistically think about breaking 80. I'm the father of 2 beautiful girls (ages 1 and 3) and have struggled to stay on the course since they came along. Of course that's a good reason and I wouldn't trade them for anything. I play in a league which has been an absolute godsend. I can play competitive golf and still get home for dinner. I try to work on my game a couple times a week to stay sharp or clear my mind. Although I'm not technically playing a ton of golf, I'm still playing a ton of golf.

I'm not much of a forum junkie. That is, until I found MGS. I was doing a Google search one day and I saw an ad: “Test AND KEEP the irons that won the US Open.” I forgot what I was even about to search because the only thought in my head was WHERE DO I SIGN UP? I navigated to the forum and made an account so I could apply. Once I posted on the application thread, I poked around the rest of the forum (since I was now a member) and became totally hooked. I didn't get selected for that test but that's OK because I've found something even more valuable, an amazing community.

I'm definitely a golf junkie, like the rest of you. I love reading about all things golf. This community is full of intelligent golf minds spanning across a wide range of handicaps and locale. I love having the connection to other people with common interests and I feel I've learned tons about the game in the short amount of time I've been a member.

My Play Style: This may be overconfidence, but I always feel like I'm a better player than my score on the card. I have (I think) a pretty swing. I hit it long, I scramble well, and I've got the eye of the tiger in competition. I also miss big, take risks I shouldn't, and screw up “easy” parts of the game. This season, my scores have been coming down because I've invested some serious time into my short game and putting.

Here are some quick hits:

- Handicap/average score? 5HC for 9 holes (in league) / low-mid 80's for 18

- Strengths of your game? Irons and (lately) short game

- Weakness of your game? Accuracy off the tee

- What makes you love the game? 3 C's: Competition, Camaraderie, Closeness with nature

- What is in your bag? See this WIYB thread

- What region do you play out of? Mid-Atlantic. Born and raised in Southern Maryland

- Describe your short game: In a word? Improving. In 3 words? At times, deadly.

My Current Gamer: This will be the third Odyssey putter I will have owned in my golfing life. I (unfortunately) jumped on the belly putter bandwagon with the Sabre tooth then, when I sold that, I got the #1 with the mesh insert. Neither one made putts that mattered so I kept the turntable going and landed on the STX Sync Series #6 and have been playing it for the past 5 years. I didn't want to take any attention (or pictures) away from the club I'm reviewing; therefore, I've created a separate thread to talk about my current gamer. Because of the relationship I've had with it, I'm nervous that this Odyssey putter will replace it, but that's OK in my book if more putts drop. One of the beautiful things about this test is that each of the reviewers chose a different model. There's plenty of variety and I think it's awesome that a wide range of players will find something useful with this collaborative review.

New Tech: Enough about me, for now. Let's talk about the putter I'll be reviewing. The Odyssey O-Works line has some new tech built into the face. They're calling it the “Microhinge Face Insert.” This is the first year they've put this into their putters and it's my job (along with the other reviewers) to determine if this technology really works. I'll never be able to describe the tech as well as Odyssey so, if you'd like to see more information on that, please see their website here.

Kk5vy7s.jpg

VzkMcAU.jpg

Putter Selection: Before I get into the model I'm reviewing, let me talk about the putter selection process. One of the beauties of this line is there's a TON of options to customize your putter. There's 24 different heads, 54 grips, 2 shaft colors, and they can be ordered to fit your length and lie requirements. I applied for this MGS review thinking “Man that Red #7 looks amaaaaazing. I've got to try it!” Despite my gut reaction, I went through the online putter selector tool on the Odyssey website. Although it's most certainly a marketing technique, I was happy to follow the questionnaire to get an idea of which putter they think would be a good fit for me. Here's the list of the questions and my answers:

- Which hand to you use? Right

- Which type do you prefer? Mallet

- What type of feel do you prefer? Soft

- What's your stroke path? Arced

- Top 3 priorities: Purest roll, Alignment, Highest MOI/Forgiveness

Once completed, this test spits out the top 3 putters that will “fit” you. I did this test 3 times with slightly different answers and always got the V-Line Fang CH as my #1 recommendation. I agonized over the decision because that Red #7 was such an attractive putter and I love flashy things. Had the Fang CH been available in red, it would've been an easy choice. But nay, it was only available in black. As I made my final decision, I thought back to Shankster's review on the i200 irons. He said he was fit for X-Flex but decided to build the i200s with S-Flex shafts because that's what he was comfortable with. In the review, he lamented this fact because he felt as if the X-flex would've ultimately been a better fit. It was for this reason that I went with the putter that the putter selector tool recommended. Lucky enough for me, Meyer is getting the #7s so I'll be just as eager to read his review as the rest of you.

Unboxing: Now it's time to deliver. I know full well the pictures are the main reason you came here. Up until this point, my review has been light on pictures. I apologize for that. I just felt it would be necessary to provide as much background info as possible before showing the goods. I won't be including any performance remarks or on-course pictures in this Stage 1. You'll have to wait for Stage 2 to get your fix. For now, you can experience what I felt like when I first received this beauty. Ready to drink from a firehose?

WufwWhM.jpg

“OMG it's here!” I came home from a league match to this pleasant surprise. This was the 2nd day in a row I'd received a club in the mail so my wife gave me the ole eyebrow raise. Luckily she was expecting this one.

GJgnJ4n.jpg

FTRF8IV.jpg

sToEPx0.jpg

Let me stop here to tackle this topic: The weight kit is not included.

I did a little online digging and found that, while this putter line has been out since the spring, the weight kit hasn't been available to the public. After a lengthy customer service call with Callaway, I found out that they JUST made the kits available and they can be purchased separately through any retailer that sells the O-Works line putters. From a customer service perspective, I'm a little disappointed that the weight kits are not included with purchase, but I guess that's just business. I want to provide the most thorough review possible, so I'll be getting a kit and will comment on the adjustability of these putters within my Stage 2.

qifXqoJ.jpg

I was super stoked that the SuperStroke Slim 3.0 was available as one of the grips. As I mentioned in my thread on my current gamer, the Slim 3.0 revolutionized my putting stroke and I'm certainly not about to change that now. When I let my golfing buddy check it out, his reaction was “cool putter, how do you feel about this sausage grip?” To which I replied “I LOVE SAUSAGE”

4lRXnDD.jpg

SVPAZLO.jpg

OOOO Shiny! This is the same great head cover construction that we've come to expect from Odyssey. Let's take it off and see what is hiding.

RvPLGHC.gif

BOOM. Here it is. Take in all this glorious head construction:

H3NpMWX.jpg

tVlcdCr.jpg

Cx69sP7.jpg

77TVpHz.jpg

7zcTT4F.jpg

emI1ap5.jpg

First Impressions: Well, there you have it. This is one attractive looking club and I can't wait to give it a spin. Needless to say, I stayed up late watching Netflix and putted around my living room carpet until the wee hours of the morning.

H9nCXFI.jpg

I did a quick balance point test to find that this is a face-balanced putter. I found this a little curious since this thread states that face balanced are geared a little more towards SBSF strokes whereas mine is an arcing stroke.

Goals for Stage 2: Birdies and 10 footers. Plain and simple. My lag, medium, and short putting has been strong this year. The only thing I'm missing is I need those round-changing putts to drop. I'm giving these putts an excellent run that scares the hole but they're just not dropping. I'm positive that's a mental thing but am hoping this putter lets me put that aside. There's a large number of deviations between the characteristics of this putter and my current gamer so I'll be interested to see if a radically different putter makes a noticeable difference. My SS6 will be living in the garage over the next couple months while I give the Fang CH the full college try. I will NOT be testing them alongside each other. I'm going to need to develop a new stroke to match the feel of the Fang CH and want to give it the best chance to succeed.

Disclaimer: My likelihood of purchase decision will be altered slightly. If you noticed in my WIYB thread, I don't buy anything at full retail so it won't be fair to the putter to grade that category based on a retail purchase. My final decision will be “Likelihood of Replacement.”

IF the O-Works V-Line Fang CH can maintain my existing putting stats AND make my golf ball tweet, THEN it will replace my current gamer.

BONUS: Here are some RARE photos of the Fang CH in its natural habitat

LNjw5ZG.jpg

WJao1Dv.jpg

KfpTwqB.jpg

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Stage 2: Odyssey O-Works V-Line Fang CH

D6NinSy.jpg

Preface:

This O-Works review hasn't received a ton of publicity thus far. At first I was surprised but I've since come to realize two main reasons that this could be the case.

1. The O-Works line has been on the market all season. As such, many of the MGS members either already have one of these, have a friend who has one, or have tried them and decided not to purchase them for one reason or another.

2. Odyssey is a mainstream putter brand. When you hear that name, you know what you're going to get (for better or for worse). This is the 4th MGS putter review in recent months and the Odyssey line may be having trouble standing out. They don't have the unique alignment of the MLA, they don't have the pure beauty and craftsmanship of the Bettinardi, and they don't meet the unique price point of the Cleveland Huntington Beach line.

Here's one thing the O-Works line DOES have: THE MICROHINGE INSERT. This insert is a certifiable game changer. It's different than anything Odyssey has offered previously and it provides roll characteristics that no other putter on the market can offer. Whether or not it suits your game is up for you to decide.

‪G1LVQHb.jpg

Adjustments:

I ordered my V-Line Fang CH at 35” with a SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip. It came standard with (2) 15-gram weights positioned in the heel and toe. This is pretty darn close to an off-the-rack selection you could find at Dick's. After I placed my order, I measured my current putter to find that I ordered the O-Works putter an inch short....D'OH! I felt foolish, but figured I'd still better give the putter the ole college try. I used this stock version for nearly 70% of the review period. At this point, I wasn't necessarily getting the results I had hoped for and thought to myself “I'd better see if adjusting it slightly would make a difference.”

MBm6YvV.png

1. One afternoon, I was checking out the putter head and thought “Hm, those red circles look like they come out, I wonder if those are adjustable weights.” After some online investigating, I found that YES they are adjustable weights, NO the kit is not available to the public yet, and NO the previous generation weights will not fit. That was quite a bittersweet moment. I became a regular caller into the Callaway customer service line and finally got a hit. Here's a paraphrase of our conversation:

Me: Hello, I was curious when the weight kits will be available for the O-Works Putters.

Callaway Rep: Let me check……..Oh yes, they just became available today. Do you have one of the putters?

Me: Yes I do

CR: Well what I can do for you is I can send you one, would you like to give me some information?

Internal Me: HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me: Sure thing ma'am, anything I can do to help!

The weight kit comes in a sturdy plastic box and includes (2) 10-gram weights, (2) 20-gram weights, a wrench, and an instruction booklet. When coupled with the stock 15-gram weights, you get a heavy/medium/light choice. After tooling around with the weights a bit, I settled on having a 20g weight in the toe and the stock 15g weight in the heel. This gave the putter a bit of toe-hang and I like the feel much better.

Qr8UwqW.jpg

2. It was at this point that I decided to take the plunge and lengthen the putter back to the 36” I need. I took it to Dick's and asked them to add an inch but save the grip and the lady filling in at the golf department said “No problem!” It ended up being cheaper than I expected as well.

3. A day later, the actual golf guy at Dick's gave me a call. He said the SuperStroke grips are risky to save because, often times, the solution works its way into the foam through the needle holes and will make them mushy. He recommended cutting the grip and installing a new one. I told him I didn't really want to shell out $25 for another grip when he quickly replied “Oh no don't worry about it, I'll store comp it and let you pick out another one at the same price since you were told we could save the grip.” Double Kudos! When I went in to choose, I figured I may as well try a different grip since the SuperStroke wasn't jiving with this putter in the same way my STX putter did. I went with the Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour 140CC and feel like it's a good pairing.

OjjvzrQ.jpg

872glLg.jpg

I made these changes right before my SEMIFINAL and CHAMPIONSHIP matches. I'm glad I had the opportunity to test the putter's merit under pressure situations.

D5RJGGd.jpg

orOahjH.jpg

PERFORMANCE

Performance on the Putting Green:

• Accuracy:

The putter is very stable on putts outside 10ft. The real issue presents itself on putts within 5ft. The putter head can be unstable throughout the stroke if you don't have a decent amount of moment going. I tried light weights, I tried heavy weights, I tried different grips and stances, and I tried looking at the hole only. This may be an arrow vs Indian debate but I firmly believe I've done enough testing to confirm this is a result of the putter being incompatible with my stroke.

YCaBOWu.gif

f2FMRXX.jpg

• Speed Control:

This is an area that this putter head excels in. The pop off the face is consistent and promotes a solid forward roll. I would attribute this to the microhinge face insert and the head construction. As my stroke with the STX got longer, it would have a tendency to hop and skip before beginning a true roll. With the Fang, it really doesn't take much to get the ball rolling and that helps me keep my base under me on longer putts.

https://youtu.be/2uanJBEEjzs

*This video gives a pretty good shot at the forward roll that is created. Even on the longer putt, the ball gets airborne initially but still has forward spin before it even contacts the ground*

• Forgiveness:

Other members have stated that the face of this putter feels mushy and that they can't really tell if they made a solid strike or not. I would contend that this putter simply has a larger-than-average sweet spot. You will lose a good percentage of your speed on misses low on the face but will notice almost no loss in distance or direction on horizontal off-center hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI3-TplQon8&feature=youtu.be

*I know these putts aren't the best. I had to stand crazy to keep my toes out of the shot. I just wanted to show the speed you get off the different types of face hits. It's difficult to tell from the video but no speed was lost on the toe/heel hits but much speed was lost off the low hit*

PUTTING GREEN SCORE: 7/10

Performance on the Course

• Accuracy

The accuracy characteristics I noticed on the putting green were amplified on the course. The medium to long putts got even better but the short putts got even worse. I legitimately feel as if I have a better chance of making a 15ft downhill slider than I do a 3ft uphill putt. That's a scary feeling and not one that I can excuse. I was under the impression that mallet putters should help stabilize your stroke when the pressure is turned up but that did not turn out to be the case for me. The shortie issues were present before and after I made the adjustments with little to no improvement. I can tell you one place these issues weren't present: My STX.

• Consistency:

As I stated before, the microhinge face produces a very consistent roll. The soft face delivers a smooth roll on my intended line. I feel confident standing over medium-to-long putts but I'm not quite at the point where I can expect them to fall. It's still somewhat of a surprise that they go in and honestly, I feel that way about any putt of any distance right now.

PERFORMANCE ON THE COURSE SCORE: 29/40

Performance Notes:

I came into this review wanting this putter to be that magical piece of equipment for me. Over the past few months, I've read many putter evaluations where the reviewer experienced true magic and I desperately wanted that for myself. Maybe I put too much pressure on my evaluation, maybe I need more time. Putters are an extremely personal piece of equipment and I recognize the fact that a putter may not work for one player and will lead to great success for another. I'm also cognizant of the fact that I'm extremely emotional about this putter right now. I feel like it failed me when I needed it most in my league championship match. I'm trying to do my best to be objective and fair in my review but we all can admit that emotion plays a large factor in our relationship with a putter. I played and practiced MUCH more golf than normal (to the chagrin of my wife) and have truly put this putter through its paces. Overall, I feel as if the putter has many positive attributes but I can't ignore the glaring holes in my game it has created

vsHpxYr.gif

SUBJECTIVE

Looks:

• General shape:

If I had to compare the head shape to a fruit, I'd say it looks like a sharp pear. It works for me as I can see the arc that my putter path should follow before I even make the stroke. While there is an offset, I don't particularly notice it in the setup or stroke and it certainly doesn't bother me in the least.

XJLsb5K.jpg

xcBIF9T.jpg

• Graphics:

Graphics play the biggest role in the appearance of a putter. Not only are they used to make the user look cool, they're essential in alignment. The black head with white alignment lines do an excellent job of assisting the user with setup by framing the ball. It's really too bad that these heads don't come in red because I think that would really POP. The only annoying thing about the graphics is the large white section on the base plate. In my backstroke, it really catches the corner of my eye and can be quite distracting. This white plate is what made me first notice my “figure 8 stroke.” I may attempt to black this section out with some paint and I've placed a mockup of my idea below: GzNjo4N.png

• Other unique details:

Contrary to my previous gamer, the head on this putter makes scooping balls up a breeze. It's really a back-saver and that's certainly something I enjoy. On the flip side, I can't make back-handed strokes because there's no consistent trailing edge. This one is not a big deal and, to be honest, I could use a few more steps in my round anyway. Finally, one-handed putts are exponentially improved over my STX…..maybe I should start doing that for my shorties?

LOOKS SCORE: 13/15

Sound and Feel:

• Sound:

This putter sounds as soft as a pillow landing on a pile of more pillows. It's a quiet and soothing sound that'll let you enjoy nature as you roll a smooth putt and listen for it to drop. The putter sounds as soft as it feels. To that end, it may not be for folks looking for more rigid feedback.

• Feel:

As I stated in the forgiveness section, the enlarged sweet spot leads to an amazing feeling putter. IMO, this is really the strongest part of the Fang and I believe the microhinge insert deserves most of the credit. It sounds weird to describe a putter this way, but the face is HOT. It's a breeze to get the ball rolling and it's consistent enough to guarantee proper distance. When I added that little bit of toe hang, the Fang felt even more powerful in its delivery. The GP Tour SNSR is an excellent pair for this putter. I like to think of putters and grips like pairing wine and cheese, you've got to have the right combination.

SOUND AND FEEL SCORE: 15/15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnct3Rkvtr8

Likelihood of Purchase:

As I stated in my Stage 1 review, I don't buy anything at full MSRP. If I was considering a purchase of the Fang CH, I'd hit eBay. While I got lucky with a free weight kit, the other reviewers were told they'd have to buy one for $50 just like every other consumer. FIFTY WHOLE DOLLARS for 4 weights and a wrench. I think that's outrageous considering most putters that use a weight kit come with it included. I truly believe the weight kit is necessary to dial in the putter so this is really unfortunate that it's a piecemeal offering. $280 ($230 putter + $50 weight kit) just comes way too close to the price point of Scotty or Bettinardi to not actually be the real thing.

XWAvTWL.jpg

That being said, the Fang CH is certainly a better putter than my STX if being evaluated in a vacuum. It's got a great head that will work marvelously for many other golfers. I'm just not one of them. I honestly would consider purchasing this putter if I were in the market because of its many redeeming qualities. To do so, I'd have to find it for an excellent deal because the value at retail just isn't there for me. If I'm gonna drop that kind of cash on a putter, it better be darn close to automatic.

LIKELIHOOD OF PURCHASE SCORE: 9/20

Subjective Notes:

This putter really knocks it out of the park in the subjective categories. To my eye, it's a very attractive putter from any angle. It frames the ball well at address and the face feels amazing on impact. It feels and looks better than any putter I've ever rolled so I have to give Odyssey big props for that. The subjective attributes of this putter really shined IMO. If it weren't for the LOP decision weighing it down so mightily, subjective would've been pretty darn close to perfect.

Conclusion:

As you may have noticed, I have extremely mixed feelings for the Fang CH. While I rated some areas exceptional, I also rated others very low. This wasn't on purpose but it my feelings about this putter. It does some things extremely well and others extremely poorly (for me). I put a ton of hours into this review between the practice green, the chipping green (for up and down practice), and the course. I tried my best to weigh the ratings based on a mixture of how the putter works for me vs any average Joe picking it up for the first time.

This is the third Odyssey putter I've owned and they all share the same characteristic: very good on medium-long putts but quite unstable on shorter ones. The head shapes have all been different so I have difficulty placing my thumb on the reason that I haven't found success with Odyssey putters. I still believe there's many golfers out there that would experience great benefit from the Fang so please don't cross it off your list based on my review alone. You must actually roll it to know for sure.

Let me join the camp that stresses the importance of getting a putter that fits you. I tend to think this may be one of the reasons many golfers go through putters like tissues. They buy one off the rack, don't like the stock feel, and move on. A small tweak could make a huge improvement. The adjustments I made brought the Fang a big step forward in playability but still couldn't quite push it across the finish line. I really hated this putter in the “stock” offering but felt much better about it once I made those changes. That being said, I'm leaning towards keeping my STX in the bag. I've got a few scrambles coming up so I'll continue to play the Fang in those low-risk scenarios but don't really trust it otherwise. The long putts that I made with the Fang are the same types of putts I can typically make but the short putts I missed NEVER EVER happened with my STX. The Fang certainly outperformed my STX in feel and distance control but I can live with those gaps if I can count on makes within 5ft. I really wish I could just replace the insert in the STX with the microhinge because that thing is money in the bank.

JdggelJ.gif

Questions & Answers

Since I've peppered other putter reviewers with questions, I'll turn some of those back around on myself and answer them here:

Q. Are you truly a mallet guy or a blade guy?

A. My eye is always drawn to mallets but I've yet to find one I still liked once I put it in play. The Fang came the closest to turn me over but nay, no cigar.

Q. What's the longest putt you've made with the Fang?

A. Not all that long. I drained one of my first putts from about 35ft in practice and I made a par putt around 18ft on course.

Q. Could you make a 10ft putt to win the Master's?

A. Right now, probably not. However, I could certainly leave it on the lip and break my own heart.

Q. What about two putt from 60ft to win The Open?

A. Maybe. My chance would be somewhere around 60%. I feel the lag putt would be pretty darn close (and may even go in) but I'm not so sure about that second putt to take it home.

PERFORMANCE TOTAL: 36/50

+SUBJECTIVE TOTAL: 37/50

————————————————

OVERALL SCORE: 73/100

That's it! Thanks for riding along. You deserve a beer!

beverage-drinks-photography-zack-burris-

Stage 3 - Odyssey O-Works V-Line Fang CH

Epilogue: First off, that putter name is a mouthful to say (or a handful to type). This doesn't count as a feature I'd change, but they should change the name in the future.

Speaking of changes, here's the latest of 2 changes I made to the putter:

IMG_6165.JPG

I feel as if blacking out those sections made alignment easier and provided a less distracting stroke. Aim small miss small. This change lead to another because I noticed that Dick's had installed my grip crooked. No wonder I was pulling putts. I had them fix it and now my stroke is more consistent.

After making these changes, I feel like I owe the stage 2 some points back. Not enough to bump the Fang into elite status, but enough to make it a solid B- or B. It's a good but not great putter. I had to tinker a lot with it to get it to be somewhat serviceable. If you think you can pull one off the rack and have it be magic, you're wrong.

THE FIVE QUESTIONS

(1) Will this product go in your bag? Why or why not?

For now, it will but I'm not particularly enthusiastic about it. It outperformed my STX but only by a slim margin. The bad thing is it has created much more doubt in my putting ability since I'm now analyzing every stroke. If I miss, I've got it in the back of my mind wondering if I would've made that with another putter.

(2) To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this product?

The O-Works line is a good step for anyone that has an outdated putter. The new microhinge insert provides a marked improvement from previous models and can help those looking for a boost. If you've already got a deep putter lineage, I just don't see the benefit. There's nothing overly special about them that makes them a collector's item and the performance doesn't match up to other putters in the same price point (once you figure in all the additions to make it modifiable). However, for those that want to walk into a big box store and go home with equipment, the O-Works line will be your best bet.

(3) How, if at all, did this product change your overall opinion of Odyssey?

It's stayed the same. I've always thought of Odyssey as the best option you can find at any big box store. Which is still true. They can label themselves at the #1 putter in golf because they're probably moving the most product. The only problem is, the ball just doesn't go into the hole often enough. Confidence is a powerful thing and, without it, you're screwed.

(4) What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

Here I go beating that dead horse again........ THE WEIGHT KIT NEEDS TO BE INCLUDED. Nickel-and-dimeing your customers is an annoying business model. If you want to sell a putter with moveable weights, they need to be included. If you don't want to include them, don't maker putters with changeable weights. Just reduce the build quality of the kit itself. It doesn't have to be fancy with dynamic graphics, it just needs to be heavy (or light). The ones I received were a really nice kit but were still a pain in the butt to switch in/out because the threads were difficult to line up.

(5) What features do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?

The microhinge insert. It's really a great piece of technology that promotes amazing feel. Kudos to Odyssey for trying something different and really nailing the result. They won't need to change it much in future iterations and I really think other manufacturers should take a look to see what ideas they can "borrow."

Welp, that's the end of my review. Thanks for coming along for the journey. I feel blessed to have been chosen and thoroughly enjoyed the process. If nothing else, I just got a TON of putting practice.

giphy.gif

Placeholder Stage 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Placeholder Stage 2

Placeholder Stage 3

Ohhh snap!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

After an epic battle with technical difficulties, my Stage 1 is up. Enjoy! Just reply to this comment instead of the whole stage with questions.

Note to self: less moving parts

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Great stage 1s, y'all! Ready to see how these perform for you.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Nice Stage 1 Stud,

I like that we'll be doing these in slightly different ways.

That fang looks killer...

Great stage 1's Sligo and STUDque.....can't wait ti follow along

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Sluggo and STUDque bringing home the bacon in their stage 1 intros!   Very entertaining read to say the least.... 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Well done Sluggo and Stud, can't wait for stage 2.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

Great start, guys. Looking forward to more!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

After an epic battle with technical difficulties, my Stage 1 is up. Enjoy! Just reply to this comment instead of the whole stage with questions.

Note to self: less moving parts

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

All the moving parts made the review look great, so congrats on a job well done! Looking forward to reading the entire thing

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Nice Stage 1 Stud,

I like that we'll be doing these in slightly different ways.

That fang looks killer...

Same to you fam. I think it's cool that we're both stepping away from blade putters to try something new too.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Stage 1 is up. Testing under way, and looking forward to those questions

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Stud,

I laughed when I saw your rare photos of the fang in nature shots..

Fricking excellent work

Stud,

I laughed when I saw your rare photos of the fang in nature shots..

Fricking excellent work

I didn't notice them first pass (images were loading too slow). That's awesome!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Kardboard your stage 1 is a good read.  Although it took you several years to finally settled into golf, it looks like you are set now.  Looking forward to your stage 2!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I couldn't even wait for the reviews, I jumped in and bought a red 7s over the weekend.

Great start guys, I'm looking forward to the rest!

VGSjpXH.jpg

YqEmYXj.jpg

Got my weight kit today. It comes with (2) 10-gram weights and (2) 20-gram weights. The stock weight is 15. Visually, all of the weights are identical so you have to use the feel test to tell the difference.

I've done enough testing with the stock weights so I'll do the rest of my testing with the others to see if I get different results. Stay tuned for Stage 2.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Archived