TESTERS WANTED! ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - ODYSSEY O-WORKS PUTTERS

JBones

Great intro guys, can't wait to hear the performance of these putters with the MicroHinge technology and how true it rolls.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't notice them first pass (images were loading too slow). That's awesome!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I went ahead and shrunk my pictures to help y'all with load times. Hopefully it's a noticeable difference.

A little bump to build some attention for this thread isn't the worst thing anyway since we're going to try to get Stage 2's up soon.

Does anyone have any specific questions they want answered in the Stage 2 reviews?

KfpTwqB.jpg

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Sluggo I'm so glad to see you rocking a Classic Seahawks hat..

Nice stage one reviews guys you are doing a great job, Thanks

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Nice start Spies. Love the red design. I may have to break out the metal x and see how it rolls while yall do these reviews.

BigTazz

Grip in Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball!

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Great stuff so far guys, I know I am loving my #7 O-Works, putting as well as I ever have. 

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Rangefinder -  NX-10 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I have used an SC for 6 years and loved it. Then i tried the o-works #7, three weeks ago. I couldn't believe the roll and accuracy. I then compared it to other mallet putters (all major brands) and found it blew them away. I bought it and have put the SC in the closet. It's the easiest putter I've ever used to get the ball in the hole.

I'd love to hear what your thoughts were on distance control with these putters.  I thought they got the ball rolling extremely well.  The hinges definitely did their job.  I also felt like the forgiveness was good on off center hits.  I didn't lose much distance at all versus a center strike.  Personally, I though the insert was too soft thought.  The past few times I've hit them, I had a hard time controlling the distance because of how soft the head felt even playing the Srixon Z-Star XV.  

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

I'm traveling this week, so my plan is to post stage 2 early next week. I hope my review will answer those questions. Don't want to spoil it though by answering now. 😃

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

I'm gonna try to have mine ready to post this weekend.

@goalie

I can tell you that your question is definitely answered in my review.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

My Stage 2 Review is up.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/21080-official-forum-member-review-odyssey-o-works-putters/?p=331597

I won't have an opportunity to troubleshoot the technical hiccups tomorrow so I just put it up today. Still having issues with the gifs though.

Let me know if you have any questions!

vsHpxYr.gif

JdggelJ.gif

My Stage 2 Review is up.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/21080-official-forum-member-review-odyssey-o-works-putters/?p=331597

I won't have an opportunity to troubleshoot the technical hiccups tomorrow so I just put it up today. Still having issues with the gifs though.

Let me know if you have any questions!

vsHpxYr.gif

JdggelJ.gif

Huzzah! Got the gifs in my stage 2 working.

IMG_5500.JPG

For the first time since I received the Fang, I took the STX out so I could face the two up head to head in match play.

I played 20 holes (5 rotating targets) on the fairly flat chipping green. I alternated honors to normalize the data the best I could. The first 15 holes were from target to target and the last five were moved closer to what I'd consider "make-able" putts in the 10ft range.

After 15, the STX was 3⬆️ Both putters had one three putt. Then STX took off to a boat race winning 3 of the last 5 (made 4 of 5) to finish 6⬆️

While the Fang felt consistently better on contact, the speed and direction was always better for the STX. The Fang only won 2 holes overall. It's crazy how feel doesn't necessarily translate to made putts.

Will try the more difficult and undulating putting green next time.

Stage 2 is up.  Had a few technical difficulties.  I'll try to get a few more pictures and videos up soon. 

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

Stage 2 is up. Had a few technical difficulties. I'll try to get a few more pictures and videos up soon.

I'm a big fan of that poem. What was it based off?

It started out based on little miss muffet, but quickly morphed into the night before Christmas.

Thanks.

Just bumping this thread because it got buried after the stage 2 reviews were posted. Any questions from the gallery?

So do you trust the vendor website to lead you to the right putter?   After playing with the O-Works 1W for a few months now, I went to the site this morning to see exactly how accurate they are in their recommendations.  You start off  with them asking a series of question to L/R hand, swing type, etc...  Then they have as the last screen the 3 most important requirements you have for a putter.  I left the defaults marked, and hit enter.  They recommended the 1W.  Then I went back and changed only the ratings.  Still the 1W was the recommended putter. Then I went back and changed style to the Mallet from Blade.  Now they recommend the Tanks #7.  On both all the final recommendations they have #2, and #3 choices, basically the other putters in the line. What I found is they show you what you like.  So much for deep insight.

I would definitely say the selector tool chose the right putter to match the answers I provided. It certainly gives a pure role, forgiveness, and MOI. I think where I went wrong is I self-assessed vs seeing a certified fitter.

Now that I've done the test and had stroke issues with the Fang, I tend to think I'm more of a SBSF putter than an arc.

I just redid the questionnaire with drastically different answers (including a ?? answer for head style preferred) and was given these as my recommendations:

1. 2-ball

3. R-Line

If I were to do it again, I'd probably choose the R-Line because that's getting back to a bladed head. Not sure if it would be magic enough to beat out my STX but it may be better than the Fang.

attachicon.gifIMG_5500.JPG

For the first time since I received the Fang, I took the STX out so I could face the two up head to head in match play.

I played 20 holes (5 rotating targets) on the fairly flat chipping green. I alternated honors to normalize the data the best I could. The first 15 holes were from target to target and the last five were moved closer to what I'd consider "make-able" putts in the 10ft range.

After 15, the STX was 3⬆️ Both putters had one three putt. Then STX took off to a boat race winning 3 of the last 5 (made 4 of 5) to finish 6⬆️

While the Fang felt consistently better on contact, the speed and direction was always better for the STX. The Fang only won 2 holes overall. It's crazy how feel doesn't necessarily translate to made putts.

Will try the more difficult and undulating putting green next time.

OK now hold the phone. I went out for 18 on the putting green with significantly more slope than the chipping green.

The STX took the early lead with a win on 4 that was quickly followed by a win from the Fang on 5 to even up the match. Halved holes until 14 when the Fang made lag putting look easy. Then the Fang clinched victory by winning 16 and 17 before losing 18 in garbage time. This was good enough for a 2up victory by the Fang.

I'm very encouraged to find that the distance control was consistently better with the Fang by a large margin. Too often, the balls would finish on the same line but I'd be able to kick in the Fang's putt and had to work for the STX conversion.

Made another change to the weights and am feeling better for shorties as well (10g in heel 15g in toe). That being said, the STX was still dropping putts in the center on shorties when the Fang sometimes had to slip in the side.

Next test will be Tuesday when I get to sneak a round in with CG2. Sorry Rob but I'm gonna putt them all!

The Fang lives on.

Great work Fang...err Stud haha.

You are obviously more talented on the computer than I am...

Interesting we both had lower scores than someone wholoves their putter.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Slug, great stage 2. I think we came away with many of the same impressions it's crazy that a putter that aligns well ends up being inaccurate:

+ Feel

+ Looks

+ Alignment

- Accuracy

- Uncertainty of 2-putts

- Price point

I'm not giving up on mine yet but it's certainly on the chopping block. Look forward to seeing how you like it after more practice.

I'm going to look into weights now, I only need one heavier one, or something that screws into the top of the grip...

I'm looking forward to the blade reviews-, they might be the answer

I'm going to look into weights now, I only need one heavier one, or something that screws into the top of the grip...

The funny thing about this is your 2-ball only has one weight. When I got mine they had to confirm which putter I had so they didn't send me the wrong kit.

Seems messed up they're charging you the same for your kit that would only have 1 of each as they would for mine that had 2 of each. It's a shameless cash grab.

Considering it took them about 7 months to get the weight kits on the market, you'd think they would've taken a positive customer service stance to take care of their existing clientele.

Whilst gleaming through Twitter this morning I came across something that now has me perplexed.   Paul Wood -VP of Ping Engineering clearly states ball roll quickly is not even in his top 3 for performance factors.  Interesting how that is one of the marketing statements for the Odyssey "O" works.  Agree or Disagree, I'd like your thoughts MGS community.

Whilst gleaming through Twitter this morning I came across something that now has me perplexed.   Paul Wood -VP of Ping Engineering clearly states ball roll quickly is not even in his top 3 for performance factors.  Interesting how that is one of the marketing statements for the Odyssey "O" works.  Agree or Disagree, I'd like your thoughts MGS community.

A ball has to launch out of the depression it is sitting in therefore it will bounce/skid some initially.  When the ball hits the ground friction will start forward roll.  The immediate roll concept is another golf company marketing ploy.  Depending on angle of attack and loft of the putter,  the ball can launch too low or too high which would impact speed/distance control.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

A ball has to launch out of the depression it is sitting in therefore it will bounce/skid some initially. When the ball hits the ground friction will start forward roll. The immediate roll concept is another golf company marketing ploy. Depending on angle of attack and loft of the putter, the ball can launch too low or too high which would impact speed/distance control.

Thanks, I will make sure to use this knowledge for the final review

Another thought to consider;

How is the Health of Golf?   In researching the art of golf for this review, I have become painfully aware of the lack of interest in golf.  There is an entire generation that seems cold to the idea of spending time outdoors swinging a club, trying to hit a little ball into a little hole.  In my profession, taking customers/purchasing agents out for a round a couple of times a year was considered good relationship building.  Today, the 22  - 30 something group would rather take in a eclectic concert, or new restaurant.  Are the powers to be in the golf world considering that their audience has shifted?  Maybe Price point of clubs, and golf greens fees should be re-evaluated. 

This thought relates to the club I am reviewing and the cost it would be to purchase, in relationship to what some consider to be premium clubs.

I'm about to order my weight kit for the 3T. It's about time...and it's funny that every time I called customer service, they had no clue when a weight kit would be available for the public nor would they confirm it would ever be available. Chumps.

I like the overall feel and alignment of the 3T. My putting stats would say otherwise but my confidence is still there in this putter. 

*sees article on MGS about Ping Craz-E Sigma* Ohhhhh daddy like! 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Archived