STUDque

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Handicap:10

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:56 PM

..........I like the overall feel and alignment of the 3T. My putting stats would say otherwise but my confidence is still there......

My thoughts exactly. Do you feel like it's costing you strokes overall or just coming out as a net zero?

I'm making (or narrowly missing) the long-ish putts with greater frequency but am missing short ones at the same rate.

WHY CAN'T I HAVE BOTH???

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag?

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 (Aldila Rogue Silver X)

Wood: Ping i25 (stock x-flex)

Irons: TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC (+.5" / up 2* / stiff / mid grip)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52,56,60

Putter: STX SS6

Cart: Cliqgear 3.5+ (walk almost every round)

#62 txgolfjunkie

txgolfjunkie

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX
  • Handicap:0.7

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:08 PM

My thoughts exactly. Do you feel like it's costing you strokes overall or just coming out as a net zero?

I'm making (or narrowly missing) the long-ish putts with greater frequency but am missing short ones at the same rate.

WHY CAN'T I HAVE BOTH???

I'm the opposite. I'll sneak in a 10 foot putt here and there but all my makes are inside 5 feet. My frustration is on the 10'-20' putts that I feel like I have a great read and just burn the edge. It's more between the ears than anything else but I like to blame the putter to justify buying another one. 

In all fairness, I've been putter on different surfaces just about every time I play. I playa lot of the public courses north of Houston and some greens are lightning quick with subtle breaks and others are slow with a ton of grain. And then I'll travel to Denver and can't make anything outside of my shadow on the bent greens. I will say, I've enjoyed the distance consistency the putter offers on lag putts. I rarely 3 putt after the first hole and I get settled in with the speed of the greens. 

TaylorMade M1 w/ Matrix Ozik 80M4 Black Tie X Stiff
Cobra F7+ 3W 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75X tipped 1/2"
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 18* hybrid w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 X

Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* w/ Kuro Kage 80X

Bridgestone JCB15 4-PW irons w/ DG AMT X100

Cleveland RTX-3 52* bent to 53* and 58* bent to 59*

Odyssey O-Works #3T

TM TP5X

All my clubs are lefty style...cause I thoroughly enjoy having limited options when buying golf equipment.

#63 STUDque

STUDque

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:33 PM

I'm the opposite. I'll sneak in a 10 foot putt here and there but all my makes are inside 5 feet. My frustration is on the 10'-20' putts that I feel like I have a great read and just burn the edge. It's more between the ears than anything else but I like to blame the putter to justify buying another one.

In all fairness, I've been putter on different surfaces just about every time I play. I playa lot of the public courses north of Houston and some greens are lightning quick with subtle breaks and others are slow with a ton of grain. And then I'll travel to Denver and can't make anything outside of my shadow on the bent greens. I will say, I've enjoyed the distance consistency the putter offers on lag putts. I rarely 3 putt after the first hole and I get settled in with the speed of the greens.

Agree with you on lag putting. The speed control is fantastic. Whenever I get that wrong, it's because I misread the speed but the ball always comes off as I intend.

I'm beginning to think my woes on shorties may go away as I get more familiar with the putter. It's not a two-way miss, I'm pulling them. Probably because the head is rotating through more than I'm used to (even though I've got the weights set up to make the toe lag).

What's in the bag?

#64 newballcoach

newballcoach

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:31 AM

I'm in the market for a new putter (definitely thinking mallet) so it was great to read the review on the O-works. These are the reason I love mygolfspy, real people giving real opinions on real clubs. 

I have to say, based on the requirement of the $50 weight kit, as well as the overall high price of the club, this is probably not the one for me. Thanks for the brutal honesty fellas, great work! The hinge technology definitely seems worthwhile but the forgiveness just doesn't seem to be where it needs to be. 

Thanks again for all the hard work! I know firsthand how much work testing clubs can be, so I definitely appreciate those efforts. 

WITB

Driver- Taylormade M1 2016 8.5 degree

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Seemore Si2

Ball- Chrome Soft X

#65 STUDque

STUDque

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

I'm in the market for a new putter (definitely thinking mallet) so it was great to read the review on the O-works. These are the reason I love mygolfspy, real people giving real opinions on real clubs.

I have to say, based on the requirement of the $50 weight kit, as well as the overall high price of the club, this is probably not the one for me. Thanks for the brutal honesty fellas, great work! The hinge technology definitely seems worthwhile but the forgiveness just doesn't seem to be where it needs to be.

Thanks again for all the hard work! I know firsthand how much work testing clubs can be, so I definitely appreciate those efforts.

What are your other front runners?

What's in the bag?

#66 newballcoach

newballcoach

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:45 AM

What are your other front runners?

Looking at the new satin Cleveland TFI 2135's or the Huntington Beach #10's. Cleveland is doing some great stuff.

Might also take a look at picking up a year old Ketsch, based on previous most wanted performance. There's always the appeal of picking up an EVNROLL, however the $450+ pricetag is a bit tough to swallow.

Of course, with my seemore I had two good putting rounds last weekend (31 and 33 putts, very good for me), so maybe I won't be kicking it out of the bag just yet! :)

WITB

Driver- Taylormade M1 2016 8.5 degree

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Seemore Si2

Ball- Chrome Soft X

#67 Sluggo42

Sluggo42

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • LocationSouth California
  • Handicap:8.0

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:12 AM

Well, I broke out my old putter, the Nike Method Converge today for the first time since I got the red 2-ball.
Had 6 one-putts, no 3-putts, shot an even par 72, on a course I haven’t played for a year, on greens punched last week, in a howling wind...
Apparently when you have found your putter- it will let you know.
Callaway 816 DBD driver 9.5°
Callaway 816 Alpha 3-wood 14°
Callaway 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 20°
Callaway 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 25°
Royal Collection fd forged CB 5-AW on N.S.Pro950GH Regular flex
Vokey sw DG300
Vokey Sm5 60*
Nike Method Converge B101
PV1x
Ogio hybrid
One click push cart
Sketcher Pro spikes

#68 STUDque

STUDque

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:38 AM

Looking at the new satin Cleveland TFI 2135's or the Huntington Beach #10's. Cleveland is doing some great stuff.

Might also take a look at picking up a year old Ketsch, based on previous most wanted performance. There's always the appeal of picking up an EVNROLL, however the $450+ pricetag is a bit tough to swallow.

Of course, with my seemore I had two good putting rounds last weekend (31 and 33 putts, very good for me), so maybe I won't be kicking it out of the bag just yet! :)

Decisions decisions huh. I'm tinkering with my Fang even more right now so don't rule out the O-Works line just yet.

Had you looked at the MLA putters? If I had to pick one from the MGS member tests, it would be those.

What's in the bag?

#69 goaliewales14

goaliewales14

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana
  • Handicap:18

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:00 AM

I completely agree with you on Cleveland's direction.  I tried the Cleveland TFI 2135's when I was looking for my new putter.  I just bought one about 2 weeks ago.  Between the those two styles, I liked the TFI just a bit better.  I felt like they made some improvements on the face and it just felt better.  The thing that really stood out to me though was how easy it was to line up.  I know that was the whole idea behind the 2135, but still have to prove it, right?  

The putter I ended up going with was the Ping Oslo.  I loved the face on it, and on mishits, I was still getting the same distance.  I've never tested and Evnroll putter just because not many places in Indiana carry them, but I felt like the Ping was giving me the same promise that I've heard from Evnroll.  If you go on 2nd swing they have great deals on a barely used one.  I think it's around $200.

Something that I might suggest though first if you haven't tried it already is see if someone has your putter in a different lie.  I'm actually getting my new one 1* flat.  After putting with it that way, I just felt like my eyes were perfectly in line and it just freed up my stroke to what I wanted it to be.

#70 kardboard.kid

kardboard.kid

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Handicap:18

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

So I was able to play a round Saturday.  The "O" works held true to the strike, and all missed putts were my miss read of the green.  I still feel like the putter has potential, and as I use it more I feel more confident.  I am still curious as to how the face design will hold up long term.  I will follow up with that thought end of season next year. 

Taylor Made Jet Speed -Driver set to 9.5*

Nike VRS Covert Irons 4-PW

Titleist 980F 3 Wood

Upswing 60* wedge

Tommy amour sand/gap wedges

Odyssey O-Putter 1W

OGIO Cart Bag

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates