Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - ODYSSEY O-WORKS PUTTERS

JBones

..........I like the overall feel and alignment of the 3T. My putting stats would say otherwise but my confidence is still there......

My thoughts exactly. Do you feel like it's costing you strokes overall or just coming out as a net zero?

I'm making (or narrowly missing) the long-ish putts with greater frequency but am missing short ones at the same rate.

WHY CAN'T I HAVE BOTH???

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts exactly. Do you feel like it's costing you strokes overall or just coming out as a net zero?

I'm making (or narrowly missing) the long-ish putts with greater frequency but am missing short ones at the same rate.

WHY CAN'T I HAVE BOTH???

I'm the opposite. I'll sneak in a 10 foot putt here and there but all my makes are inside 5 feet. My frustration is on the 10'-20' putts that I feel like I have a great read and just burn the edge. It's more between the ears than anything else but I like to blame the putter to justify buying another one. 

In all fairness, I've been putter on different surfaces just about every time I play. I playa lot of the public courses north of Houston and some greens are lightning quick with subtle breaks and others are slow with a ton of grain. And then I'll travel to Denver and can't make anything outside of my shadow on the bent greens. I will say, I've enjoyed the distance consistency the putter offers on lag putts. I rarely 3 putt after the first hole and I get settled in with the speed of the greens. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I'm the opposite. I'll sneak in a 10 foot putt here and there but all my makes are inside 5 feet. My frustration is on the 10'-20' putts that I feel like I have a great read and just burn the edge. It's more between the ears than anything else but I like to blame the putter to justify buying another one.

In all fairness, I've been putter on different surfaces just about every time I play. I playa lot of the public courses north of Houston and some greens are lightning quick with subtle breaks and others are slow with a ton of grain. And then I'll travel to Denver and can't make anything outside of my shadow on the bent greens. I will say, I've enjoyed the distance consistency the putter offers on lag putts. I rarely 3 putt after the first hole and I get settled in with the speed of the greens.

Agree with you on lag putting. The speed control is fantastic. Whenever I get that wrong, it's because I misread the speed but the ball always comes off as I intend.

I'm beginning to think my woes on shorties may go away as I get more familiar with the putter. It's not a two-way miss, I'm pulling them. Probably because the head is rotating through more than I'm used to (even though I've got the weights set up to make the toe lag).

I'm in the market for a new putter (definitely thinking mallet) so it was great to read the review on the O-works. These are the reason I love mygolfspy, real people giving real opinions on real clubs. 

I have to say, based on the requirement of the $50 weight kit, as well as the overall high price of the club, this is probably not the one for me. Thanks for the brutal honesty fellas, great work! The hinge technology definitely seems worthwhile but the forgiveness just doesn't seem to be where it needs to be. 

Thanks again for all the hard work! I know firsthand how much work testing clubs can be, so I definitely appreciate those efforts. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I'm in the market for a new putter (definitely thinking mallet) so it was great to read the review on the O-works. These are the reason I love mygolfspy, real people giving real opinions on real clubs.

I have to say, based on the requirement of the $50 weight kit, as well as the overall high price of the club, this is probably not the one for me. Thanks for the brutal honesty fellas, great work! The hinge technology definitely seems worthwhile but the forgiveness just doesn't seem to be where it needs to be.

Thanks again for all the hard work! I know firsthand how much work testing clubs can be, so I definitely appreciate those efforts.

What are your other front runners?

What are your other front runners?

Looking at the new satin Cleveland TFI 2135's or the Huntington Beach #10's. Cleveland is doing some great stuff.

Might also take a look at picking up a year old Ketsch, based on previous most wanted performance. There's always the appeal of picking up an EVNROLL, however the $450+ pricetag is a bit tough to swallow.

Of course, with my seemore I had two good putting rounds last weekend (31 and 33 putts, very good for me), so maybe I won't be kicking it out of the bag just yet! :)

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Well, I broke out my old putter, the Nike Method Converge today for the first time since I got the red 2-ball.

Had 6 one-putts, no 3-putts, shot an even par 72, on a course I haven't played for a year, on greens punched last week, in a howling wind...

Apparently when you have found your putter- it will let you know.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Looking at the new satin Cleveland TFI 2135's or the Huntington Beach #10's. Cleveland is doing some great stuff.

Might also take a look at picking up a year old Ketsch, based on previous most wanted performance. There's always the appeal of picking up an EVNROLL, however the $450+ pricetag is a bit tough to swallow.

Of course, with my seemore I had two good putting rounds last weekend (31 and 33 putts, very good for me), so maybe I won't be kicking it out of the bag just yet! :)

Decisions decisions huh. I'm tinkering with my Fang even more right now so don't rule out the O-Works line just yet.

Had you looked at the MLA putters? If I had to pick one from the MGS member tests, it would be those.

I completely agree with you on Cleveland's direction.  I tried the Cleveland TFI 2135's when I was looking for my new putter.  I just bought one about 2 weeks ago.  Between the those two styles, I liked the TFI just a bit better.  I felt like they made some improvements on the face and it just felt better.  The thing that really stood out to me though was how easy it was to line up.  I know that was the whole idea behind the 2135, but still have to prove it, right?  

The putter I ended up going with was the Ping Oslo.  I loved the face on it, and on mishits, I was still getting the same distance.  I've never tested and Evnroll putter just because not many places in Indiana carry them, but I felt like the Ping was giving me the same promise that I've heard from Evnroll.  If you go on 2nd swing they have great deals on a barely used one.  I think it's around $200.

Something that I might suggest though first if you haven't tried it already is see if someone has your putter in a different lie.  I'm actually getting my new one 1* flat.  After putting with it that way, I just felt like my eyes were perfectly in line and it just freed up my stroke to what I wanted it to be.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

So I was able to play a round Saturday.  The "O" works held true to the strike, and all missed putts were my miss read of the green.  I still feel like the putter has potential, and as I use it more I feel more confident.  I am still curious as to how the face design will hold up long term.  I will follow up with that thought end of season next year. 

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Round 3 of putter duel STX vs O-Works. For a refresher, STX won round 1 resoundingly then the O won round 2 with a foot stomp bringing the series to 1-1.

I changed the rules a little for round 3. If the hole was halved, I awarded .5 to the closer lag. Here's the score sheet:

S=STX

O=O-Works

1 .5 S

2 E

3 .5 O

4 1 O

5 1.5 O

6 .5 O

7 E

8 1 O

9 1.5 O

10 2 O

11 2.5 O

12 3 O

13 3.5 O

14 2.5 O

15 2 O

16 2.5 O

17 1.5 O

18 1 O

O-Works wins 1up bringing the series to 2-1.

The STX put up a fight but the O-Works kept firm control the whole match. Both putters made some tricky putts; however, the STX consistently had to work harder to convert the two putts. This Fang is feeling better and better each time I take it out.

Bought a counterweight (75 grams) for the grip today.

Took a few jabs and the old 2-ball gelt better.

My putting hasn't returned to epic after switching back to the Nike Converge, so the newly weighted 2-ball goes back into the bag....

Decisions decisions huh. I'm tinkering with my Fang even more right now so don't rule out the O-Works line just yet.

Had you looked at the MLA putters? If I had to pick one from the MGS member tests, it would be those.

I think the MLA's are just straight-up too expensive. And I'm not a fan of plunking down $400+ for something I can't test or even touch before I buy it. Plus, babies like food apparently...

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I had thought about carrying my putter vs putter out for a 7 game series but I'm just gonna call it in favor of the Fang after 3.

I've got something even cooler in the works thanks to the help of another spy

Stay tuned for more details

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Stage Three - The Follow Up & Value Question.

The Five Questions

Will this product go in your bag?

...... YES. Wait...... WHAT??

YES

808809FB-7FEC-4E43-880F-AD71C0466EBA.jpeg

Why or why not?

Before I purchased the 75 gram counterweight and inserted it into the Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0, this putter was definitely NOT going into the bag. It was just too inconsistent and “vague” feeling in my hands. It just didn't give me the feeling of confidence that I needed from perhaps the most important stick in the bag.

2ADC70E5-19DC-4D31-981E-87D04584C2A4.jpeg

137876E6-04D1-4013-AB1D-8EB019A92B79.jpeg

B24A4B23-B147-4880-991B-9270E20B9744.jpeg

Dropping the big counterweight into the grip transformed this putter into a very controllable and sure feeling instrument. I mean, talk about a transformation to a completely different animal. Suddenly I now have a putter that I can feel in my hands. It's quite remarkable actually. But be advised, I read that only about half of the people feel an improvement with the addition of the counterweight in the grip. And there are 3 different sizes if I'm correct, a 25, a 50, and a 75 gram insert.

But, I'm not going to make a commercial for the insert here, but rather describe how one of the inserts made the putter have a better feeling in MY hands. And it really did.

I thought the counterweights were supposed to make the head feel lighter, and in my case, I thought the head weight was too light initially. So, I really can't speak about the insert in those terms, but it just made the whole thing feel heftier I guess. Whatever it's doing, it's working.

AF20F527-452E-4015-A6B3-8157DC103D58.jpeg

1E95D9B8-B91D-4189-BDDF-A83D527CFD6E.jpeg

9CA03475-F012-495C-A068-986AE3DD6E77.jpeg

4B949984-8C93-4E90-AF11-93A188A4EA7D.jpeg

B4F499AC-C6C3-4621-91B4-23A24B5C96E4.jpeg

8C9A58B3-1F47-49CF-AFC3-C06FD4C233A9.jpeg

As we already know, The micro-hinge face has been well documented as a wonderful feeling face, and was always a strong point of the O-works line, but I felt that the poor overall balance would sabotage this wonderful feature. I find it deeply annoying that the putter is sold without the counterweight and without the weight kits for the putter heads. I think if they included these minor cost points, that allowed the flexibility for the buyer to customize his putter, would have created a dramatic increase in overall sales. Who knows, after they read my review they may wise up and start to include them. It would be a smart move...

To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this product?

Well, this is a tough question, because it would depend on the fiscal status of the buyer..

Why?

Because if someone buys it now, and it doesn't feel quite right to them, they will need to purchase an additional $60-$80 worth of weighting options. That turns a $240 putter into a $300 dollar putter. That suddenly puts them into a whole new range of different and more expensive putters that they might prefer to own. If they have a ton of money and don't care, then groovey. If they are on more of a budget then dropping $300 on a putter is a significant expenditure...

How, if at all, did this product change your overall impression of [Odessey]?

I think it's showing that Odyssey is committed to being a substantial player in the mix, and creating a putter that's good enough for the pros to use. And as we all know, the amateurs like using the same gear as the pros.

What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

I would make the full assortment of weights to be included with the purchase. I honestly think that sales would go through the roof by doing so, instead of trying to buckle and dime a few more bucks from the few people who would actually spend the money to see if they can make adjustments that feel good to them.

E540C43F-5085-4C3E-B32E-AB54BFFAFE0F.jpeg

What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?

I think they've hit the nail on the head with the microhinge technology.

It's a fantastic feel. Now include the weight kits and allow each person to customize the putter for their own personal feel, and use that as a major selling point. That's a total home run from my view. I made an adjustment and it turned a ho-hum putter that wasn't going to be used anymore into a putter that's now staying in my bag...

All right gang. My Stage 3 is up. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/21080-official-forum-member-review-odyssey-o-works-putters/?p=331598

All right gang. My Stage 3 is up. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/21080-official-forum-member-review-odyssey-o-works-putters/?p=331598

Good read. Seems like the weight kit not being included is going to be the biggest gripe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

You guys really put the work in on this testing. I has only skimmed it as a putter was the last thing really oh my radar this year.

Sluggo just phenomenal pics of the weights and counterbalancing.

I played a round with Stud a while back and took a few rolls with his on the putting green. I was very impressed with the weight, feel and roll of the putter. It framed the ball very nicely st Address.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Stage 3 now up.  Thanks for reading,

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

Loved reading the reviews fellas....  

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Great reviews guys!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

• 2 weeks later...

I had thought about carrying my putter vs putter out for a 7 game series but I'm just gonna call it in favor of the Fang after 3.

I've got something even cooler in the works thanks to the help of another spy

Stay tuned for more details

Just closing the loop. Here's that "cooler" thing I had in the works:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/21546-STUDque%27s-MGS-Forum-Review-Crossover

• 4 weeks later...

Just making my rounds. The results from my test are up:

{Results Posted} STUDque's MGS Forum Review Crossover

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/21546-%7BResults-Posted%7D-STUDque%27s-MGS-Forum-Review-Crossover

The results may surprise you!

• 7 months later...

Placeholder Stage 3

I would like to start the wrap up review of the Odyssey putter with a very big thank you to MGS for this great opportunity. This was a learning experience for me and one I will use when looking at other clubs to replace ones in my bag currently. I enjoy the respect and honest input that is such a large part of this forum.

attachicon.gif IMG_20170820_133057748.jpg

attachicon.gif IMG_20170820_133107660.jpg

So the questions that everyone is waiting on...

1. Will the Odyssey O-Works 1W be in my bag?

That would be a big YES. As I have referenced in the other posts, I have been looking for a replacement to my current putter for some time. For me the putter fits my style and ability on the putting green. It has helped my focus, and I feel confident in the ball striking. Currently it resides in my bag, although my clubs now reside in the garage for the winter, which is rather a depressing statement. I may venture out if there is a day over 50 and not so wet, or snow covered, but for the most part I am now searching for a good indoor facility to keep sharp.

2. Would I recommend?

From my statement above you would think that to be an obvious yes, however; putters are a unique club, and as such it is a very personal decision. I believe more so than any other club. Even within the O-works there are several styles to choose from. I believe that to be the case for Callaway as a catch all blanket. Yes the putter works great for me, and if anyone were to ask what I thought was a good putter to start with when looking I would say Odyssey. But for me to offer anymore than that would be overstepping the line. I am not a trained professional, nor do I play golf for a living, (although that is a LARGE fantasy of mine). As for the features I will talk more in a bit.

attachicon.gif imagesB8JBL7W3.jpg

3. Does my opinion of Odyssey/Callaway change as a result of this review?

For me personally, Callaway has always been a top line company and a great product. In this ever changing environment of golf product lines competition is crazy. the unique hinge face sets the bar regarding innovation. This only adds to my own thoughts of Callaway golf.

4. Features to change/needed/or should be removed.

Love the hinged face technology. It was something I was unsure of, but once I played with it for awhile I came to like. The performance was the same on the putting surface as was on the fringe. The ball always rolled true. I would add, true to the direction I hit. I will reserve final comment on the hinge technology till I have had a year to play with it. I am still a bit skeptical on the life span of the hinge. Did not like the fact that the weight kit was an after thought and costly addition. What if after purchasing I found them to be a negative to the performance of the putter. I would be stuck with them, or possibly sell at a loss I am sure. That was a miscue for Callaway/Odyseey for sure. They should also offer a broader spectrum of standard grips. I did like the one I chose.

5. Features I would like to see built on.

firstly the hinge technology. I would love for them to take that new technology even farther. How could they incorporate the feel of the ball into the club, and grip more. As we all know putting is as much about feel as reading the greens. To be able to feel the ball at impact even more, I feel would be a great tool. Adding the weight kits, with a tutorial on how and why they might be used. That way there would be no confusion and could even be added to the advertising campaign.

Thanks again for stopping by. I look forward to seeing you on the course sometime.

Thought I'd bump this. A follow up after gaming the putter for the year. Everyone that plays with me can attest to the fact, this putter is money. Speed, accuracy, and feel continue to impress. The putter won another year in the bag.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Archived