TESTERS WANTED! ×

Any Other Soccer Fans Out There?

Camcmart

So I know this is a GOLF forum, but are there any other soccer fans out there? With Champions League Group Stage day 1 in the books, I need to discuss it with others who care. Premier League and WCQ are also an option, but I don't pay much attention to MLS or any other international leagues.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

I'll forgive you calling it soccer. I know how it is over there.

CL. Round 1.

Difference between top 3-4 clubs and the rest is getting bigger?

Surprised to see both Benfica and Porto lose at home to fairly week opposition. Benfica haven't renewed their team. Will struggle in CL.

English teams are still just ok in CL. Liverpool with a stupid draw. Complete lack of central defenders. Needed to buy van Dijk. Didn't get him.

Spurs beat Dortmund, but if you're ever going to beat them now is the perfect time. Selling top players like Dembele.

PSG are just ridiculous. Broke every single financial fair play law, but what a team. I've like the club since Rochetau, Bats and Roche. They've lost the French style, but have traded it for something that looks like a CL-winning team.

No need to follow MLS, but you're missing out if you don't follow some of the national leagues. La Liga is fascinating. Ligue1 is underrated. Bundesliga is organized. Serie A is overrated. I follow Primeira Liga in Portugal because I love the country :) 

I'll forgive you calling it soccer. I know how it is over there.

CL. Round 1.

Difference between top 3-4 clubs and the rest is getting bigger?

Surprised to see both Benfica and Porto lose at home to fairly week opposition. Benfica haven't renewed their team. Will struggle in CL.

English teams are still just ok in CL. Liverpool with a stupid draw. Complete lack of central defenders. Needed to buy van Dijk. Didn't get him.

Spurs beat Dortmund, but if you're ever going to beat them now is the perfect time. Selling top players like Dembele.

PSG are just ridiculous. Broke every single financial fair play law, but what a team. I've like the club since Rochetau, Bats and Roche. They've lost the French style, but have traded it for something that looks like a CL-winning team.

No need to follow MLS, but you're missing out if you don't follow some of the national leagues. La Liga is fascinating. Ligue1 is underrated. Bundesliga is organized. Serie A is overrated. I follow Primeira Liga in Portugal because I love the country :)

Thank you for overlooking my country's incorrect title for the sport haha I'd call it football but with the majority of MGS being from the states, I thought I might lose a few members.

I watched he majority of the Dortmund/Tottenham game today and highlights of the others. Tottenham needed that win in Wembley to get them going in CL and EPL; Dortmund just got outplayed in the last third of the pitch with a tough offsides call on Aubameyang that could've changed the game.

Ronaldo had his triumphant return that all his adoring fans had hoped for. Shahktar had a good win over a good Napoli squad. Man City beat a weak Feyenoord team. Overall nothing too surprising outside of the Porto and Benfica losses at home.

I'd like to watch more Bundesliga, La Liga and Serie A but unfortunately those games aren't usually televised for my enjoyment. I'm very excited for the World Cup next summer though

Tottenhams victory was very popular here. Norwegians are anglophile. It's normal to travel to several games in England every year. Som even travel to all stadiums in the division system! I've only been to a few Newcastle matches. St James' Park is a special place.

Cool fact about Ronaldo and Real - under Zidane, they've never lost when playing without Ronaldo in the team.

Shaktar was a little surprising. They've got great quality (always some really good Brazilians in the team), but I did expect more from the Italians.

A true football nerd appreciates how Napoli plays. Look at this video. Playing out from the back against the worlds most aggressive team - Diego Simeones Atletico.

The World Cup. Well. Norway is at an all time low in football and wont be there. I think there's too many teams in the WC now. Miss the old championships in the 80s and 90s. 

Tottenhams victory was very popular here. Norwegians are anglophile. It's normal to travel to several games in England every year. Som even travel to all stadiums in the division system! I've only been to a few Newcastle matches. St James' Park is a special place.

Cool fact about Ronaldo and Real - under Zidane, they've never lost when playing without Ronaldo in the team.

Shaktar was a little surprising. They've got great quality (always some really good Brazilians in the team), but I did expect more from the Italians.

A true football nerd appreciates how Napoli plays. Look at this video. Playing out from the back against the worlds most aggressive team - Diego Simeones Atletico.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pssPXUABhb8

The World Cup. Well. Norway is at an all time low in football and wont be there. I think there's too many teams in the WC now. Miss the old championships in the 80s and 90s.

It's definitely on my bucket list to make it to several European league games, EPL, CL, La Liga, Serie A, or Bundesliga. I adore European football compared to the long-ball and chase the ball MLS.

Napoli is a class act Italian football club and it's so refreshing to watch the one-touch effortless attack from the back.

The World Cup is growing more and more distant for the US as the lack of quality in youth development begins to show.

there is no offense and it's boring. Fix all the diving, use replay for yellow and red cards, and also use replay to determine if the ball went in the goal. They need to figure out a way for scoring, every now and again a great 1-0 match is good, but almost every match is 1 or 2 goals, it's not enough in 90 minutes of play to peak any interest. I wish it was better but it's just super boring st this time.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I haven't paid much attention the last year or so since I turned off Cable. I used to watch a lot of CL and EPL games. But since turning off Cable and adding a third kid I don't get to watch much, I sure miss it though. That video of Napoli is pretty impressive. Almost looked like they decided on a number of passes they had to get in the back before sending it forward. Stuff like that wears mentally on the opposing team. I love it!

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

there is no offense and it's boring. Fix all the diving, use replay for yellow and red cards, and also use replay to determine if the ball went in the goal. They need to figure out a way for scoring, every now and again a great 1-0 match is good, but almost every match is 1 or 2 goals, it's not enough in 90 minutes of play to peak any interest. I wish it was better but it's just super boring st this time.

I respectfully disagree with you, but I'd say I'm a bit bias having spent the majority of my life playing soccer so I feel as though I'm able to appreciate those 0-0 draws that were still enticing.

The diving gets old but the refs have gotten much better about giving yellow cards for dives particularly in the penalty box. And they do use goal-line technology in many FIFA tournaments now which has been a game changer.

I find MLS to be boring, but European leagues know how to play and the buildup leading to a goal or a great save make a good match great in an instant.

So I know this is a GOLF forum, but are there any other soccer fans out there? With Champions League Group Stage day 1 in the books, I need to discuss it with others who care. Premier League and WCQ are also an option, but I don't pay much attention to MLS or any other international leagues.

I had a good one watching Sevilla vs Liverpool

But all I wanted to watch was city's first match.

Also enjoyed watching Barcelona vs Juventus

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I respectfully disagree with you, but I'd say I'm a bit bias having spent the majority of my life playing soccer so I feel as though I'm able to appreciate those 0-0 draws that were still enticing.

The diving gets old but the refs have gotten much better about giving yellow cards for dives particularly in the penalty box. And they do use goal-line technology in many FIFA tournaments now which has been a game changer.

I find MLS to be boring, but European leagues know how to play and the buildup leading to a goal or a great save make a good match great in an instant.

The occasional 0-0, 1-0 matches are good, but in a general sense of everyday soccer, the sport needs more scoring. The big matches have other factors to them so 1-0 is a good match, but when there is no star power or other impact to make it a good match, people want the ball in the net, that's what it needs if it wants people to watch regularly

Thank you for overlooking my country's incorrect title for the sport haha I'd call it football but with the majority of MGS being from the states, I thought I might lose a few members.

But think of how many more clicks you would get if you called it

I follow Tottenham in the PL and Timbers in MLS. I know the level of play in MLS is not as good as abroad but it is good to support your local team if you have one. More viewership=>more TV money=>better players=>more viewership in theory. Plus if our domestic league gets stronger, one would hope that translates to better domestic players and a more competitive national team--one can hope.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

They are trying out video decisions this season, but most fans hate it. Takes time and ruins the flow. Minutes waiting for a decision? That's ok in NFL but not football. By the way - offense is when you have the ball. That's it. 

You don't understand football. That's ok. You'll never enjoy it the way fans do. 

Diving - yes. But who cares? Watching Neymar roll around after being hit by a feather in the wind isn't what it's about. Go to a 2.division game in England. A derby in Istanbul (if you have a death wish....). 

We even fixed basketball for you.

Yup I'm a fan and former player. Long time ago was on the national team pool of players and played in Europe. Now golf takes my passion. I'll watch EPL and World Cup. Team is Tottenham for EPL.

Driver: Callaway 815 DBD Irons: New Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15's with KBS C-Taper Stiff Flex Shafts 21,25,29,33,37,41,45 Wedges: Ben Hogan TK with KBS Tour V Stiff Flex Shafts 52,56,60 Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

They are trying out video decisions this season, but most fans hate it. Takes time and ruins the flow. Minutes waiting for a decision? That's ok in NFL but not football. By the way - offense is when you have the ball. That's it.

You don't understand football. That's ok. You'll never enjoy it the way fans do.

Diving - yes. But who cares? Watching Neymar roll around after being hit by a feather in the wind isn't what it's about. Go to a 2.division game in England. A derby in Istanbul (if you have a death wish....).

We even fixed basketball for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRv4GGksqXc

I understand the soccer game very well, played for many years, and coached some. I miss spoke about offense, I meant lack of scoring. Basically there is none, Or there is very little in most games, the only time you see scoring is when one team is really good and the other isn't. I watch the World Cup, mainly because my daughter likes to watch, but outside of that, soccer needs to figure something's out if I'm gonna waste 3 hours watch that boring game.

I understand the soccer game very well, played for many years, and coached some. I miss spoke about offense, I meant lack of scoring. Basically there is none, Or there is very little in most games, the only time you see scoring is when one team is really good and the other isn't. I watch the World Cup, mainly because my daughter likes to watch, but outside of that, soccer needs to figure something's out if I'm gonna waste 3 hours watch that boring game.

I see that being relative, a 2-0 score line is a 14-0 NFL score.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Yup I'm a fan and former player. Long time ago was on the national team pool of players and played in Europe. Now golf takes my passion. I'll watch EPL and World Cup. Team is Tottenham for EPL.

COYS!

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I do follow the kicky-kicky. Started when I adopted the Croatian national team at WC98. Some would say it's the jerseys, others would say it's because Zvonimir Boban is an awesome name and he became my favorite player. Didn't get back into until college, but living freshman year in the international dorm will do that to you.

Followed Boban to his club and became a fan of AC Milan, my number one team. I also follow all the major European Leagues to an extent. Also follow MLS, my college team (Syracuse) and our local NASL and Pro Indoor teams as well (Syracuse FC and Syracuse Silver Knights, respectfully).

Perhaps the biggest thing to turn me on to footie in a big way was when my Aussie friend turned me on to Football Manager. That game is like crack. Thanks for that one Jamie.

Lastly, proud to say that I have attended a few memorable soccer experiences. Caught a Europa League game in Paris between PSG (before the spending spree) and Benfica in 2011 and a USA v. Brazil friendly in Washington DC in 2013. I hope one day to just go wild on a Euro trip  to catch a ton of games, but that will wait.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

• 5 years later...

Was just about to start a new thread but I decided to surface this 6 year old one instead 😂

Anyways, I’m a huge supporter of Arsenal (sorry to the Spurs fan above 😜) - holding out hope we win out the Prem this year. It’s been an amazing (and incredibly stressful) ride so far!  Regardless, NORTH LONDON IS RED!!!

Random fact - my wife and I honeymooned in Ireland, and as part of our trip, I made her go to a match at the Emirates. 

E0F78656-380A-46C5-9E9B-2BAC8ABBF5BC.jpeg

96DB0050-4DC9-458F-B30B-5058B7196F83.jpeg

04232D4D-75F9-4DC2-A112-0A58F9743AEE.jpeg

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

10 hours ago, CFreddie said:

Was just about to start a new thread but I decided to surface this 6 year old one instead 😂

Anyways, I’m a huge supporter of Arsenal (sorry to the Spurs fan above 😜) - holding out hope we win out the Prem this year. It’s been an amazing (and incredibly stressful) ride so far!  Regardless, NORTH LONDON IS RED!!!

Random fact - my wife and I honeymooned in Ireland, and as part of our trip, I made her go to a match at the Emirates. 

E0F78656-380A-46C5-9E9B-2BAC8ABBF5BC.jpeg

96DB0050-4DC9-458F-B30B-5058B7196F83.jpeg

04232D4D-75F9-4DC2-A112-0A58F9743AEE.jpeg

There's a few of us metric football fans hiding here on the forum.  We've got a Premier League thread rolling (shameless plug).  Should be a great finish between City and Arsenal.  There's still plenty of time for either to bottle it 😜

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Thanks so much for sharing @JohnSmalls!

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Just now, CFreddie said:

Thanks so much for sharing @JohnSmalls!

You got it!  We need a little more life in that thread!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

21 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

You got it!  We need a little more life in that thread!

Done and done!

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Internationally: Crystal Palace FC

Domestically: FC Cincinnati

Having lived in the Cincinnati area since 1991, I have grown quite adept to supporting sporting lost causes. 

WITB:

D: TBD ??? 🤔

3w: :callaway-small: Paradym ♦️♦️♦️15° Hzrdus 6.0

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

4u:   :titleist-small:  T200 Utility Build 24° Hzrdus 6.0

5i:  :titleist-small: T200 25° Recoil 110 f4

6i-PW: :srixon-small: Z 765 28°-46° N.S Pro 1050 gh S

50°:   :vokey-small:SM-8 

54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: Toulon Designs Atlanta

Ball:  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Bag:  Jones Trouper R stand bag 

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

• 1 month later...

IMG_0794.png.0f07f5205e57537883e4e65e79089c2d.png

With the premier league off for the summer, my focus shifts domestically. What a great season the local lads are having! It has been a pleasure and a joy following this team lately.

WITB:

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

• 4 months later...

My beloved FC Cincinnati just dismantled the NY RedBulls in game 1 of the MLS Cup playoffs 1st round. Top of the world this evening lads!

WITB:

My local team did not do well this year but I knew they wouldn't.  To many roster changes every game and relied on one player to much. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter