Headhammer

Wine Me Up

Was my mom's birthday tonight so I opened a bottle of one of her favorites, a 2013 Caymus 1858 Cab

Lots of blackberry and plum notes, it needed a lot of time to open up though. Good thing I bought her a decanter for her bday, we got to test it out tonight :) Not so much a pop-and-pour, but it's a solid wine and went well with the ribeyes.

• Like 5

IMG_1661.JPG

Hoddles Creek Chardonnay 2014, a perennial favourite. White peach, oatmeal and melon. Length and subtle power. Leaner, modern Australian Chardonnay, barrel ferment character, but very little overt oak.

Very age worthy, starting to flesh out, and will age well for at least 5 more years.

Went a treat with Crispy Skinned Salmon

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Wine: Sonoma Coast Chardonnay

Winery: Sonoma-Cutrer

Price: $24.00

A decent chardonnay, but not nearly as good as their Russian River chardonnay. This one can't really decide if it wants to be a buttery oaky or a steely citrusy chardonnay, it sort of falls between those extremes leading to a confused palate.

large-sonoma-cutrer chardonnay 2014.JPG

Domaine Chavy-Chouet Bourgogne Les Femellottes 2014IMG_1676.JPG

Very solid Chardonnay, rich and powerful, with great barrel ferment texture. A great intro to white Burgundy.

• Like 1

Domaine Chavy-Chouet Bourgogne Les Femellottes 2014attachicon.gifIMG_1676.JPG

Very solid Chardonnay, rich and powerful, with great barrel ferment texture. A great intro to white Burgundy.

Apparently the 2015 Burgundy harvest was the best it's been in years for both red/white varietals.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

A friend and mentor, retired Navy Captain, passed a while back. He had a passion for golf and wine. His wife decided to fund a family vacation by selling off some of his collection. Am looking forward to this bottle and toasting to his memory. Fair winds and following seas shipmate:

IMG_1460.JPG

• Like 2

We know that Kirkland Signature golf balls generate a lot of talk among our friends, but how about the wines?  I've become a big fan of Kirkland wines for "everyday" drinking and have found a few wonderful bargains.  The Cotes du Rhone Villages for $6.49/bottle is my current favor value wine - don't scoff until you've tried it. :-) There's also a nice cab/merlot blend from the Columbia Valley for under $10.  As with the golf balls, the inventory is usually limited.  For the weekend, bring on  the Amarone!

We know that Kirkland Signature golf balls generate a lot of talk among our friends, but how about the wines? I've become a big fan of Kirkland wines for "everyday" drinking and have found a few wonderful bargains. The Cotes du Rhone Villages for $6.49/bottle is my current favor value wine - don't scoff until you've tried it. :-) There's also a nice cab/merlot blend from the Columbia Valley for under $10. As with the golf balls, the inventory is usually limited. For the weekend, bring on the Amarone!

Absolutely love their Cabernet! It literally tastes like a $40 bottle and it's $8.99 for 1.5 liters! Image1511736608.275198.jpg

• Like 1

Kirkland Signature wines are really good- I brought a bottle to my Mom for dinner once and she put it aside, but I cracked it and poured her a glass- when I asked her, she figured maybe $20... It was the $10.99 bottle. Ha!

I'm looking for a good bottle of muscadine wine.  Any suggestions?

This one has excellent reviews:

61DruG4BZDL._SY500_.jpg

Nigl Gartling Gruner Veltiner.

Crisp, spicy but fleshy white from Austria. Grabbed it for a steal from one of the biggest chain wine retailers. Went a treat with fried Calamari.

Disappointed I didn't clean out all the remaining stock when I picked it up.

For those who haven't heard of it, Gruner Veltiner is an aromatic white, with some similarities to Riesling, with flavours moving into apple and pear rather than citrus.

I'm sorry to have left this thread unattended for so long, but I was a on a bunch of medication that restricted my alcohol intake. Now off all meds, I'm back to enjoying my grape juice again!

Wine: Campofiorin

Winery: Masi

Price: $15.99

If you like Italian red wines, specifically Amarones, then this wine if for you. Its big, bold, rustic and for a cheap wine has a 10-year aging potential. It uses a similar wine making process to Amaraones, but at a fraction of the cost. Went great with our steaks and pairs well with red sauces and game.

487816.jpg

• Like 2

Santa Julia Reserva Malbec

By: bodega Santa Julia

19.95 per bottle

I'm a big Malbec fan and this is one of the best I've had. It's not the grab you by the throat finish of some Malbecs but more medium.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpyIMG_1124.JPG

• Like 1

Wine: Dragon's Tooth 

Winery: Trefethen

Price: $45

Dragon's Tooth has been a top recommendation on Wine Spectator for a few years now, but was never able to source it locally. Found a little hole in the wall liquor store that had 4 bottles so I bought them all. This is a red blend, which tend to be very smooth wines, but this one has quite a bite (pun intended). There's not much of a bouquet and the dominant flavor is tart cherries, minerals & graphite with lots of tannins leading to a strong drying finish. Not blown away by this wine, but perhaps with a few more years of age it will mellow.

tall_product_photo.jpg

The most expensive wines I've had are probably the worst tasting I've had.

I've found anything with the Sangiovese grape is really smooth and suits my pallet.

The most expensive wines I've had are probably the worst tasting I've had.

I've found anything with the Sangiovese grape is really smooth and suits my pallet.

You just haven't had the right expensive wines my friend! That being said, the law of diminishing returns is never more prevalent than in the world of wine and there are some amazing value priced wines.

• Like 1

You just haven't had the right expensive wines my friend! That being said, the law of diminishing returns is never more prevalent than in the world of wine and there are some amazing value priced wines.

sure are- found an amazing Red for under $6 at a superstore - yes you might laugh at the price but the beverage manager told me he sells 10 cases of this to one of his next most popular wine.

• Like 1

Now we're talking, this is a thread I can get behind. This was a pleasure to drink a few weeks ago with my family on vacation.

Current favorite right now is MacMurray Pinot Noir. Russian River Pinot Noir's are just wonderful.

Image1535926197.566573.jpg

• Like 1