Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Starting The First Tee in your hometown

For the past few months I've been working toward and hoping to get the The First Tee established here in my hometown. Today I'm announcing that we'll be starting The First Tee National School Program in the coming weeks with our local school system. It's been a learning process if you will. Briefly I'll explain what we started...

The program we'll begin with is known as the The First Tee National School Program. The First Tee (TFT) national organization has a lot to offer and there are a few ways you can get started. We're going to begin by starting with the national school program which will be introduced/taught/administered at the elementary school level. We'll be dealing with kids from 1st grade through 6th grade. It's not free and requires private funding/donations. Presently we have funding secured for four schools. I'm pretty excited about it and think the kids and their parents will eat it up. Now the hard work begins as we'll need to get out and really start raising some serious money so we can expand to the rest of the elementary schools (26 of them) then eventually on through jr. high and high school. I don't think it will be a problem really now that we are actually established and have our local school system behind it. In fact when I was given the go-ahead the other day the director of P.E. Health and Wellness with the schools asked how soon can we expand to include all other schools. I said with her help all it will take is money. Oh and I'd like to add... working with The First Tee national organization has been nothing but pleasurable and they've been fully supportive. 

So there you have it. If anyone is interested or have questions I'd be glad to try and help. I'd also like to hear from anyone already directly involved with The First Tee in your own town.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 4 weeks later...

Since my original post and a few "likes" I thought I add a little more information. We had a couple of minor legal issues to get cleared up with our school system and have over come those now. It was nothing big and TFT national was very accommodating to these requests by the schools. I expect to have each individual school agreement signed by this weeks end. At that point I'll send the agreements to the TFT. Then TFT will provide each teacher with a link where they can take their online certification training and receive their certificates. This will take each teacher/instructor about 2 hours to complete. After that and our payment to TFT all the equipment for each school will we shipped to them. Actually, I've requested to have the equipment shipped to me as I'll personally deliver to each school as sort of a Kick-off day for our First Tee National School Program. That should be a fun and exciting day for everyone.

I continue to learn more about TFT and our program that's starting here in my town. Actually, we're going to move forward and begin expanding our program by developing what TFT calls, Chapter level. A Chapter is the highest level of involvement-organization with TFT. By forming a Chapter as we're going to do; will mean starting a non-profit corp. and receiving 501c3 tax status. This will take some time and money. Mostly time. First we'll file for non-profit corp in Texas and then file for non-profit tax status with the Feds/IRS. This is a big deal and could take as long as 6 months to accomplish and get approved.

The purpose of us going in this direction is primarily for growth. Keep in mind that it's not necessary that you become non-profit to start a First Tee Program in your town. It all depends on what you want to do. In our case we want to be a Chapter and serve a population of perhaps 450,000. We will not only serve our city but many others in our region. By establishing our Chapter first we'll become the hub for other First Tee programs in other towns/schools in our area. Another huge benefit of becoming non-profit is fund raising. Also TFT requires annual fund raising/income of perhaps $350,000+ to maintain Chapter status thereafter. At Chapter level you also have to have a local golf course with practice facilities available to First Tee students/members. You'll need to obtain an agreement with a course for that also.

So, that's where things stand today along this road with our The First Tee program. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a great thing for our school kids and our city. Everyone that has found out about what we're doing is excited with many asking how they can help with money and their time.

If you have any questions I'd be glad to try and answer them. I also encourage you to investigate The First Tee for your town. It's not difficult to get started and there are several ways you can do it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

• 1 month later...

I'm back again in this Post. I'm a little surprised that our members haven't had any interest* in this conversation. So, for now I'll continue talking to myself.

Today I am asking for interested* Forum members especially any of you involved with The First Tee or with your kids to join the conversation. As you can read above I've jumped in with both feet with this endeavor. And it's working!!

We've now and in conjunction with our local school district officially started The National School Program. Our first elementary schools have their equipment and the coaches are administering the program to the kids during their P.E. classes. We'll be expanding the program over the next year to include all elementary schools in our city. Next year we'll be offering The First Tee experience to youth beyond elementary school level and on through High School. So, by the end of 2018 we'll be reaching kids aged 5 or 6 through 19 years old.

Our plan initially was to form what The First Tee calls -  a Chapter. That's the highest level of First Tee involvement. Although it's not necessary to take things to that level to become involved with or start The First Tee in your town; it's just what we've decided to do. We're planning to have all our documents-paperwork for incorporating as a Texas nonprofit filed in the next two weeks. Once that is approved we'll file with the IRS for 501©3 tax exempt status. Our goal is to have the IRS 501©3 filings submitted before the end of December.

This past week we had a meeting with TFT regional director to have discussions relating to our work to date and how our "path" to Chapter will be accomplished. Our next step and once we are approved for nonprofit status we'll moving into another phase with TFT in what is called their Link Program. The Link program will allow us to expand our reach onto Green Grass implementation of The First Tee life Skills training/experience and golf instruction. Also our fundraising efforts will kick into high gear since we'll also be a non profit by that time. Our target for starting the Links program is April or May of 2018. We're expecting to be granted Chapter status in later 2018 or early 2019.

While the level of participation (a Chapter) we're working on might not be for everyone I strongly encourage you to consider or at least investigate becoming involved with The First Tee at some level. Especially you younger guys with kids.  Even you older guys like me can get involved too. It's an awesome program that you can bring to your hometown with just a little effort and no expense to you personally. You just have to be willing to take a first step. Like I did.

If any of you are already involved with The First Tee or perhaps just have questions about how you can help start a program in your town I'd like to hear from you. I'd love to exchange ideas and offer advice where I can.

Didn't see this thread until now, otherwise I would have commented. I am actively involved in The First Tee of Greater Seattle. I am a participant and I also do quite a bit of coaching and volunteering. Seattle is one of the few chapters around the country with an Ace program, the highest level of TFT. We began that about a year and a half ago. If you have any questions about how we run our program, feel free to ask, but it looks like you're doing a great job already!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Here's my First Tee story.

The pro at my old golf course is a great teacher, especially for beginners and kids, and annually he puts on 5 kids clinics at his course throughout the summer.  My wife and I have taken time off from work to help out.  About 10 years ago his course hosted a tournament to kick off our local First Tee chapter.  Our pro wanted to have the First Tee program at his course and it would be a good place to have it; a 9-hole executive course with one par 5 and two par 3's.  Members from the two country clubs as well as people from several munis in town came to the tournament.  Granted, the course is not one of the best maintained courses in the area; the pro built the course, does most of the maintenance, and runs the pro shop.  It's on a shoestring budget, but the price for playing there is right.

The Chapter was formed but the First Tee program was moved to the most upscale muni in town; a very difficult 7000 yard par 72 hilly course with lightning fast greens with lots of slope to them.  I enjoy playing there once in awhile, but over the years the course has been built up with $500k to $1M homes.  On the weekends during peak season the course has two shotgun starts each day 8am and 1pm and it has the highest greens fees in the area.  I do not believe that this course is the best location for the First Tee; it's far from the the types of kids that would benefit from the First Tee program.

I lost track of the program shortly after it got started; the people who were running it were stuck-up a...holes, IMHO.  I believe they ran into funding issues, which is amazing since this area has a high population of PhD's per capita and much funding by the federal government.  Guess what?  The First Tee no longer exists in my community.  I seriously doubt that the program could be resurrected, and I know that my old pro has absolutely no interest in doing so.  He's sticking with his successful kids clinics.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The pro at my old golf course is a great teacher, especially for beginners and kids, and annually he puts on 5 kids clinics at his course throughout the summer.  My wife and I have taken time off from work to help out.  About 10 years ago his course hosted a tournament to kick off our local First Tee chapter.  Our pro wanted to have the First Tee program at his course and it would be a good place to have it; a 9-hole executive course with one par 5 and two par 3's.  Members from the two country clubs as well as people from several munis in town came to the tournament.  Granted, the course is not one of the best maintained courses in the area; the pro built the course, does most of the maintenance, and runs the pro shop.  It's on a shoestring budget, but the price for playing there is right.

The Chapter was formed but the First Tee program was moved to the most upscale muni in town; a very difficult 7000 yard par 72 hilly course with lightning fast greens with lots of slope to them.  I enjoy playing there once in awhile, but over the years the course has been built up with $500k to $1M homes.  On the weekends during peak season the course has two shotgun starts each day 8am and 1pm and it has the highest greens fees in the area.  I do not believe that this course is the best location for the First Tee; it's far from the the types of kids that would benefit from the First Tee program.

I lost track of the program shortly after it got started; the people who were running it were stuck-up a...holes, IMHO.  I believe they ran into funding issues, which is amazing since this area has a high population of PhD's per capita and much funding by the federal government.  Guess what?  The First Tee no longer exists in my community.  I seriously doubt that the program could be resurrected, and I know that my old pro has absolutely no interest in doing so.  He's sticking with his successful kids clinics.

That's a shame to hear your story. Do you know the Chapter name? 

First Tee chapters don't just spring up overnight. Like us, it's a process that takes time. Regardless of how much money you might have initially. I've found out TFT is pretty selective in awarding Chapter status. I'll also say that according you what you say Kenny, that Chapter isn't adhering to TFT mission.

Didn't see this thread until now, otherwise I would have commented. I am actively involved in The First Tee of Greater Seattle. I am a participant and I also do quite a bit of coaching and volunteering. Seattle is one of the few chapters around the country with an Ace program, the highest level of TFT. We began that about a year and a half ago. If you have any questions about how we run our program, feel free to ask, but it looks like you're doing a great job already!

Good to hear GJ. What is your role with your local Chapter? Are you an employee, certified coach, board member, volunteer, etc.

I'd imagine TFT of Greater Seattle is a large and well funded - active Chapter.

I'm glad you made a comment too.

Thanks

Good to hear GJ. What is your role with your local Chapter? Are you an employee, certified coach, board member, volunteer, etc.

I'd imagine TFT of Greater Seattle is a large and well funded - active Chapter.

I'm glad you made a comment too.

Thanks

As of now, I am a participant but I also actively volunteer coach and volunteer for special events and that type of thing. Yes, we are very well funded. We receive a lot of donations, plus Fred Couples is currently funding the building of a "clubhouse" for TFT. We are well supported, with classes available at nine different locations. We have over 1,800 participants in the Seattle chapter.

The pro at my old golf course is a great teacher, especially for beginners and kids, and annually he puts on 5 kids clinics at his course throughout the summer. My wife and I have taken time off from work to help out. About 10 years ago his course hosted a tournament to kick off our local First Tee chapter. Our pro wanted to have the First Tee program at his course and it would be a good place to have it; a 9-hole executive course with one par 5 and two par 3's. Members from the two country clubs as well as people from several munis in town came to the tournament. Granted, the course is not one of the best maintained courses in the area; the pro built the course, does most of the maintenance, and runs the pro shop. It's on a shoestring budget, but the price for playing there is right.

The Chapter was formed but the First Tee program was moved to the most upscale muni in town; a very difficult 7000 yard par 72 hilly course with lightning fast greens with lots of slope to them. I enjoy playing there once in awhile, but over the years the course has been built up with $500k to $1M homes. On the weekends during peak season the course has two shotgun starts each day 8am and 1pm and it has the highest greens fees in the area. I do not believe that this course is the best location for the First Tee; it's far from the the types of kids that would benefit from the First Tee program.

I lost track of the program shortly after it got started; the people who were running it were stuck-up a...holes, IMHO. I believe they ran into funding issues, which is amazing since this area has a high population of PhD's per capita and much funding by the federal government. Guess what? The First Tee no longer exists in my community. I seriously doubt that the program could be resurrected, and I know that my old pro has absolutely no interest in doing so. He's sticking with his successful kids clinics.

Who do you think benefits from The First Tee program? Just trying to figure out why this "upscale muni" isn't a good location.

That's a shame to hear your story. Do you know the Chapter name? 

First Tee chapters don't just spring up overnight. Like us, it's a process that takes time. Regardless of how much money you might have initially. I've found out TFT is pretty selective in awarding Chapter status. I'll also say that according you what you say Kenny, that Chapter isn't adhering to TFT mission.

I do not know what the name of the chapter was, but it has been non-existent for quite awhile.  There was a lot of enthusiasm when it was being organized, but it died quickly.  I would have to ask around to some of the old guys at my club to find out what really happened.

Who do you think benefits from The First Tee program? Just trying to figure out why this "upscale muni" isn't a good location.

All kids benefit from TFT.  However, I think any course needs to be invested in the program, and I am only guessing but based on my knowledge of the course and course management, the support wasn't there.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

As of now, I am a participant but I also actively volunteer coach and volunteer for special events and that type of thing. Yes, we are very well funded. We receive a lot of donations, plus Fred Couples is currently funding the building of a "clubhouse" for TFT. We are well supported, with classes available at nine different locations. We have over 1,800 participants in the Seattle chapter.

That's great GJ. We're going to start recruiting volunteers this spring to help with our Green Grass training-classroom programs, events, etc. Me and probably one other will possibly travel to Phoenix in February to take the Level I Coaches training. Per TFT each training and classroom session has to have a minimum of one Level I coach and one or more volunteer Asst. Coaches present depending on size of participation. This training will cost approx. $1,500/person.

I looked at TFT of Greater Seattle and what's going on there. It's a pretty good size Chapter that's for sure. I'm glad to hear of your involvement. Keep up the good work!

I do not know what the name of the chapter was, but it has been non-existent for quite awhile.  There was a lot of enthusiasm when it was being organized, but it died quickly.  I would have to ask around to some of the old guys at my club to find out what really happened.

All kids benefit from TFT.  However, I think any course needs to be invested in the program, and I am only guessing but based on my knowledge of the course and course management, the support wasn't there.  

That's too bad about the Chapter there Kenny. I was told this past week by our regional director that Chapters are down some over the past few years. I asked why but mostly it was due to poor management and loss of funding. Some Chapters have moved into providing TFT Link program. Link can be an entry point for organizations wanting to build a Chapter like us or struggling Chapters can move down a notch and work the Link program. Link has less strenuous requirements from Chapter. Smaller Chapters still require a minimum of around $300,000 in sustained funding according to TFT. As I mentioned above in one of earlier posts... we're moving from starting the National School Program into the Link program. Later we'll hopefully transition to Chapter status. That's our plan and that's why I'm writing a business plan also. TFT requires one.

Our city alone doesn't qualify for Chapter status due to population. However, we're going to be teaming up with our neighboring city where by combining populations we will qualify. We're hoping to be able to offer TFT at 4 courses initially. Two in each city.

Kenny if you ask around some you might be able to find out more about what happened in your area and perhaps find someone (a Champion) willing to try and rekindle TFT. Maybe they should explore the Link program. All it would take is phone call to TFT.

We think based on local input and discussions so far and with various companies and city leaders that we can raise and sustain a sizable amount funding here in our area. Today we're looking at raising +- $500,000 just in the second half of 2018 alone. More for the full year of 2019.

Sounds like you are doing quite well there PJ.  I will be getting out a little this next week; sitting around with my leg propped up this last week has made me antsy to move around.  I'll do some checking.  As best I can determine the Chapter was viable from around 2006 to about 2013.  I can't find any records of it after that date.  It was The First Tee of Columbia Basin.  Hopefully, I can find out more after talking to a few people.  Now I'd like to know what happened to it.

Thanks for your interest Kenny. I did a quick search of The First Tee of Columbia Basin and there isn't an "official" site. You can find remnants on the web but it's gone. It looked like it was perhaps located in Pasco, Wa.

Just like any other business, nonprofits fail for one reason or another too. 

We had a meeting just this past week with the five of us that are charting this course. Next week myself and one other of our members will meet with a local school superintendent in a neighboring city to present the NSP (National School Program) to him. I'm told he's already interested so that's a positive sign. I've also reached out and made contact with The First Tee of Greater Austin asking for some mentoring and advice. They're more than willing. Interesting note about them... they own and operate their own 9-hole course called the Harvey Penick Golf Course/Campus. This is also where the Chapter is located. There are only about 3 chapters in the U.S. that have a chapter owned course. 

• 2 months later...

Since November of 2017 there has been some progress. We started back in October with our first 4 elementary schools. This week I had a meeting with the school district and they would like to expand The National School Program with another 4 elementary schools. Great news! I already have donations to cover the cost for two new schools and can easily find funding for the other two. We're also planning a Media Event for April where the school district will invite TV, newspaper, radio, etc. to come and report on our announcement and official launch. Should be a fun day.

Here locally our budding First Tee organization is almost ready to file at the state level for our nonprofit corporation status. We'll probably submit our application in the next two weeks. We expect the State of Texas to approve us within a month. Afterwards we'll file for our 501©3 nonprofit status with the IRS. That may take 4-5 months for approval.

After full state and federal NP status have been approved we'll be off to the races. This is important for many reasons but primarily we'll be able to begin fundraising and growing. Our long term goal is to become recognized and approved by The First Tee national organization as a Chapter. That's the top level of involvement/status with TFT. In the meantime we'll implement what TFT calls their LINK Program. This is interim participation to grow and learn prior to applying for Chapter status. We'll probably work the LINK program throughout 2019 and apply for Chapter in 2020.

This year and soon we'll also be adding a couple of schools in a neighboring community. They will also be a part of our organization and under our umbrella.

The more involved you become with TFT the more work will be required. Especially should you decide or want to become a Chapter. The First Tee does not grant Chapter to everyone as there are many requirements that must be fulfilled and maintained.

If any of you are interested in how to become involved with TFT like I have done let me know. I'd be glad to share my experience. It's not hard to get The First Tee National School Program started in your town. It's a worthy cause if you like golf and kids. And rewarding on a personal level.

Plaid - Thanks for updating this thread. I'm very interested in your progress. If you have a website or a Facebook page or anything, please post a link.

I started my oldest daughter at TFT of Greater Richmond about 11 years ago (she's 17 now). She took a few years off (diabetes made golf hard for her until she got a continuous glucose monitor), but she's a volunteer coach, she was selected for the Life Skills and Leadership Academy at Michigan State last summer, she'll be in the Ace program in the Spring, and she will likely be working behind the counter as well.

My little one is 10. She's been in the programs for about five years, and she loves it. I've been volunteering for the last 8 or 9 (or maybe 10?) years, and it's incredibly rewarding. Every year we send one or two kids off to play college golf, but I'm more proud of the kids that are out in the world now. We just had our coaches' Ryder Cup over the Christmas break, and it was great to talk with one of the "kids" who's now an engineer with Lockheed Martin.

I really want to get my Level 1 certification, but it never seems to mesh with my work schedule.

We're extremely fortunate to have two green-grass locations. The downtown location has a full-sized driving range and six par 3 holes which were just completely re-grassed. Champions bermuda on the greens; I can't wait to putt them when they open in the spring. They also completely renovated the clubhouse with two Trackman bays. Much of this was funded through a partnership with VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University) athletics. Their golf teams use the downtown location as a practice facility, but we all get to benefit from it. Especially me, as it's five minutes from my office.

The suburban location has an 18 hole executive (par 66) course designed by a local architect of some note (Lester George, who also designed Kinloch).

I've heard great things about TFT Greater Austin, so it sounds like you have some excellent people on your go-to team. Being the father of two daughters, I'll put in a plug for having an LPGA/USGA Girls Golf program as a part of your offerings. I'm more involved with programs than administration, but feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have. I'm friendly with everyone on our administration team and with one of our board members.

For those of you who have kids, I can't recommend TFT strongly enough. With the volunteer and leadership opportunities, it's really like scouting, but with golf.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Plaid, thanks for the update. Glad to hear things are moving along!

HardcoreLooper, glad to hear you guys are involved in TFT! How long has your chapter had an Ace program? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Richmond hosted the National Par-3 Championship (I think that's what it's called) last summer, right?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Plaid, thanks for the update. Glad to hear things are moving along!

HardcoreLooper, glad to hear you guys are involved in TFT! How long has your chapter had an Ace program? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Richmond hosted the National Par-3 Championship (I think that's what it's called) last summer, right?

Gosh, we've had Ace as long as I can remember. The first Aces I got to work with are now a year or two out of college. So we've had Ace for at least five or six years.

We do host the National Par 3 championship. The Kanawha Club is a really nice Par 3 course, and I believe it's owned (in part or in full or somehow affiliated) with Fred Tattersall, who was instrumental in the founding of TFT Greater Richmond (the suburban facility is named in honor of him). So I think we've hosted it every year. According to the web site, we're hosting it again this year.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Gosh, we've had Ace as long as I can remember. The first Aces I got to work with are now a year or two out of college. So we've had Ace for at least five or six years.

We do host the National Par 3 championship. The Kanawha Club is a really nice Par 3 course, and I believe it's owned (in part or in full or somehow affiliated) with Fred Tattersall, who was instrumental in the founding of TFT Greater Richmond (the suburban facility is named in honor of him). So I think we've hosted it every year. According to the web site, we're hosting it again this year.

Wow, that's great! We (TFT of Greater Seattle) have only had Ace for about one and a half years, mostly just because we didn't have any memebers up to that level yet. I was in the first Ace class in Washington state, which was kind of neat...

Wow, that's great! We (TFT of Greater Seattle) have only had Ace for about one and a half years, mostly just because we didn't have any memebers up to that level yet. I was in the first Ace class in Washington state, which was kind of neat...

GJ - That's an honor to be one of the first Aces from Washington state. If you're still in the programs, be sure to talk up Ace to the Birdies and Eagles (and to their parents).

I'd love to see every kid that's in Birdie make it through to Ace, but we don't have that kind of retention. We're working on that at Richmond. I'm convinced that part of it is parental involvement. Most of the kids that get past Birdie have parents that play. We're floating the idea of having clinics for non-playing parents to get them more involved in the game. Taught by the Birdie-Eagle-Aces on our Youth Leadership Team.

I'd really like to see TFT national make Ace something akin to Eagle Scout. Or maybe have something that Aces can do to go beyond. The highest level at TFT should be viewed as an accomplishment, because it is.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I'd really like to see TFT national make Ace something akin to Eagle Scout. Or maybe have something that Aces can do to go beyond. The highest level at TFT should be viewed as an accomplishment, because it is.

Becoming nationally Ace certified is definitely going above and beyond chapter certification. The binder you have to fill out is super thick. I would say that is something like the Eagle rank. I don't think very many people actually reach national Ace certification. So in a sense, TFT does kind of have what you're talking about.

Becoming nationally Ace certified is definitely going above and beyond chapter certification. The binder you have to fill out is super thick. I would say that is something like the Eagle rank. I don't think very many people actually reach national Ace certification. So in a sense, TFT does kind of have what you're talking about.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I never knew it. My daughter is going into Ace in the spring. I'll have her look into it.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

http://www.thefirstteegreaterrichmond.org/

This is a good conversation to be involved in. You, your kids, and your city/arera should be proud to have a Chapter. Austin has a good one. They even own and operate their own 9-hole golf facility called the Harvey Penick Golf Campus. Their Chapter is located there as well.

As for us we're in our infancy I'd call it. We're getting guidance from TFT so hopefully over the next few years we can make it to Chapter status. We think by starting the National School Program we''ll be able to move into LINK next year and maybe Chapter by 2020? It's going to be a lot of work along the way but well worth it in the long run. It's work I love since it's golf related.

Wish I could discuss more this evening but I've got to run. GolfJunkie... it's great to hear that you were a First Tee player. Congrats. 

Oh... Looper I have the schedule for various Level 1 & 2 coaches training for the year. If you're interested I could email you a copy. There's probably one close by you. I'd bet your chapter would pay your way if your serious. The figure they (TFT) gave me for Level I Coach is $1,500. That's supposed to cover everything - travel, lodging, training, etc. Except meals. This might only pertain to LINK but I can ask.

Thanks guys for chiming in on the discussion.

Oh... Looper I have the schedule for various Level 1 & 2 coaches training for the year. If you're interested I could email you a copy. There's probably one close by you. I'd bet your chapter would pay your way if your serious. The figure they (TFT) gave me for Level I Coach is $1,500. That's supposed to cover everything - travel, lodging, training, etc. Except meals. This might only pertain to LINK but I can ask.

Thanks guys for chiming in on the discussion.

PM sent. Thanks!

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Archived