TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Vietnam War

ole gray

I served a tour of duty in Vietnam from 70 - 71 with the 22nd Replacement Battalion at Cam Ranh Bay.  Anybody else serve during this war? I'm interested in the series:    http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-vietnam-war/home/

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

My active service was Oct '71 thru Oct '73 in the USN. However, I was assigned overseas preferred duty and sent to NAS Bermuda Annex. Become a Cook and made E-4 then E-5 before I left. Felt guilty yet understood the sailors in Bermuda had to eat too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

My active service was Oct '71 thru Oct '73 in the USN. However, I was assigned overseas preferred duty and sent to NAS Bermuda Annex. Become a Cook and made E-4 then E-5 before I left. Felt guilty yet understood the sailors in Bermuda had to eat too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey brother all folks who served their country in the military are hero's in my book.

Cleveland

USNR from '69 through '74. Stationed in San Diego then Davisville RI, both places as medic - I was very fortunate.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Thanks for your service Ole Gray and tony.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Thank you for your service

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Thank you all for your service!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Golf Company, 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines in 66, 67, 68. I was an 0311 grunt.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thank you sir for your service. 

I had a Marine buddy from Da Nang. We flew a C130 to Bankok Thailand for a week of R&R. We were both single ( I got a Dear John the third month in country) so you can imagine how we spent out time in Bankok. Most of the married folks met their wives in Hawaii .

Cleveland

Thanks for your service Ole Gray and tony.

Back at ya brother!

Cleveland

Thank you sir for your service.

I had a Marine buddy from Da Nang. We flew a C130 to Bankok Thailand for a week of R&R. We were both single ( I got a Dear John the third month in country) so you can imagine how we spent out time in Bankok. Most of the married folks met their wives in Hawaii .

From what I heard, Bangkok was a good R&R.

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

Man...this was last night?  Why did I think it was next week.   My sister went to a preview of this in KC a couple weeks back and Ken Burns was there discussing it.  She said it was phenominal, and Ihad planned on watching it.  Hopefully they will re air part 1 and I'll get the others on DVR.

Thank you all above for your service!!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Man...this was last night? Why did I think it was next week. My sister went to a preview of this in KC a couple weeks back and Ken Burns was there discussing it. She said it was phenominal, and Ihad planned on watching it. Hopefully they will re air part 1 and I'll get the others on DVR.

Thank you all above for your service!!

It's 18 hours total so it's like a series . Last night they were talking about the beginning of the war. Much more to come

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cleveland

26th Infantry, Yankee Division.

E6 when I got out. Never left states.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Episode 2 is on now.....

Thank you all for your service and allowing me the luxury of staying safe.. Thank you 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

A co-worker of mine (retired Navy Master Chief who served in Viet Nam) said he had a difficult time watching one of the episodes last night -He stated it was very true to life and very difficult to watch even now- watching young men who want to "find action" actually finding it, with unfortunate results. 

I find it difficult to watch many of the movies surrounding either the Gulf war or current Operation Iraqi Freedom/ Operation Enduring Freedom movies, as they can not match the incredible periods of mind numbing boredom interrupted by moments of sheer terror; the episodes of misguided or uncontrolled aggression and anger (which should not be part of a mission calculus); but most of all because the movies rarely capture the human dimension- individuals who are trying to do the right thing, on both sides, despite the odds and the administrative and logistical chasms one must overcome.

Of course, none of this is ever reported in the press, because the human element, and doing the right thing doesn't "Make the News!"  Countless units and individuals did incredible acts of selflessness, I am sure it has occurred time and time again, but I can only speak of my own experiences- as an example. 

During the fall and winter of 2003, while in Iraq, we spent some time using Commander's emergency Relief funds to rebuild schools in and around our operating area.  The objective was three-fold- first, to help create some positive interaction between US and coalition forces and the Iraqi people who were suffering.  Second, to put money back into the Iraqi economy, so they could again become self-sufficient and rely on their own efforts instead of a welfare state.  Third, as you build trust and confidence, you can learn more about where potential issues (i.e. bad guys) were, and plan to eliminate that potential threat.

At one of the schools where we oversaw the reconstruction,  the Headmaster asked me if one of the teachers could speak to me- I of course said yes, and the teacher told me of her older daughter, Saffa, who had Cerebral Palsy.  There was little we could do, but my doctor expressed a positive attitude and offered some recommendations to make her life a bit easier.

As we drove away later that afternoon, Doc asked me about getting a wheelchair for Saffa.  Well, in a combat zone, if you need a wheelchair, you are medivac'ed to a location outside of the area where you can be treated, so wheelchairs were nowhere to be found. 

I sent an email to a friend in back in the States, who put me in touch with the CEO of a large medical organization- who promptly offered to deliver a wheelchair -and several days later DHL showed up and indeed delivered a wheelchair- the photo shows a smile that makes almost everything else pale in comparison-  and I am sure stories like this have occurred time and time again.  But you rarely, if ever see or hear them on the news, and that is a very sad commentary indeed. 

wheelchair.jpg

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Great story did, one that should be told over and over again.

Your experiences were different then mine. While in Quang Tri, a young boy of about 12 came to our camp with his hand wrapped in a rag bandage, crying and asking to see the "bacsi", Vietnamese for doctor. When the navy corpsman came up to the boy, the kid shot him dead with a .45 that he was holding under the makeshift bandage.

Sorry, I have no pity left in me. Truth is, war is war. If humanitarian aid is required send the red cross, not military troops.

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

Thanks for your service guys - I've been watching the series

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I fully expected to be sent to Nam. However, the draft and call up ended my senior year in HS. Yes, I was glad. And yes I respect those that served. It could have been me. Would have been.

I've been able to watch a number of episodes in Vietnam on PBS. I think it's been pretty good and fairly told.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Agent Orange was deemed responsible for my prostate cancer and I'll be tested soon for MS. MS is a nerve disease that affects balance among many things.

Cleveland

I will preface this post by saying in no way, shape or form is this intended to be a political post nor is it intended to incite a political response.  Please accept it for what it is, a realistic observation.  At least realistic in my puerile mind.

I am 8 episodes into the show and am fascinated at how our society seems to be repeating the destructive behavior of the 60's.  The parallels are amazing! 

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."  ~George Santayana~ 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."  ~Mark Twain~

I had 2 uncles that served in the Vietnam War. Much respect for anyone that served during those years.

Since WWI there has been a Shanks/Halm in every War, in fact all but one of my grandfathers brothers served in WWII, 4 Shanks' 1 Army, 2 Marines, and 1 USN. My mom's dad (AF) was in the Korean War, along with my dads Brother (USMC). My dad was smack dab in the middle of the Cold War and caught the very beginnings of the first Iraq War. My cousins sprinkled the 90's/early 2000's.

I'm the first CG out of the group.

I hope my sons and daughters can carry the torch... but I'm going to highly recommend they apply for the CG Academy.

Thank you Gentlemen.

I had 2 uncles that served in the Vietnam War. Much respect for anyone that served during those years.

Since WWI there has been a Shanks/Halm in every War, in fact all but one of my grandfathers brothers served in WWII, 4 Shanks' 1 Army, 2 Marines, and 1 USN. My mom's dad (AF) was in the Korean War, along with my dads Brother (USMC). My dad was smack dab in the middle of the Cold War and caught the very beginnings of the first Iraq War. My cousins sprinkled the 90's/early 2000's.

I hope my sons and daughters can carry the torch... but I'm going to highly recommend they apply for the CG Academy.

Thank you Gentlemen.

Back at ya buddy!

Cleveland

Thank you Gentlemen.

After reading this post I thought back about family in the service. It's amazing how each generation of my family there was great uncles WWI, father, all uncles WWII, 2nd cousins and uncle Korea (he caught end of WWII & Korea).

Then my generation I was the only one of the cousins who was in the service, never thought about it till now. After me that's it no one else so far. One of my nephews in CA is planning on West Point after high school. Hope he gets in.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Archived