Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Doon

Kenny B

Ping Sigma G Doon Putter 

At age 70 I have been playing golf for 26 years now, and I have never been one to collect putters.  I have struggled in my early years with putting; my local pro said I had “hands of stone”.  I had 4 putters in those 26 years.  

About 7 years ago I bought a used anser-style Boccieri Heavy Putter at a Golfsmith because it felt good when making a stroke.  The extra weight seemed to quiet the hands and allowed a smooth pendulum motion.  My putting improved.  Then 2 years ago I was fortunate to test a Nike Converge mallet putter for MyGolfSpy, and I decided that I liked mallet heads.  I have used these two putters off and on for the past year.  There are some things I like about each one, but there are also issues with each one.  So, I began a search for something new.

Last February I was in Scottsdale, AZ on a golf vacation and went to Ping for a free fitting.  I highly recommend it if you are in the area.  The Ping Sigma G putters were just out and MyGolfSpy did an article on them.  

Ping only had a couple of models, and I was fitted for the Kushin.  I made a lot of putts with it, but I decided I wanted a mallet.  When I came home, I started looking for the Sigma G models and specifically the Doon.  No luck.  Nobody had it.  

I liked the shape of the Doon and the 400 gram mallet head, heavy by most putter standards.  That suited me because my Boccieri putter weighs 900 grams.  The Doon is also counterbalanced with a 130 gram grip.  The standard lengths are 35-38 inches; way too long for me!!  My Boccieri is 32 inches and the Nike is 33 inches.  

I finally decided to buy it, and I ordered it from 2nd Swing in Minnesota because their website allowed customization where other sites did not.  The shortest length listed was 34 inches, so that's what I selected.  I also selected Green Dot which was determined by the Ping fitting.  Green Dot is Ping's color code for 2* upright lie angle… 70* is standard.  I bought it.  The next day I get a call from Minnesota.  OK, I get nuisance calls all the time from all over the country, and I almost ignored it, but for some reason I picked up.  A rep from 2nd Swing was calling to confirm the unusual specs on the Doon.  He also wanted to know if I wanted a SuperStroke grip on it instead of the counterbalanced Ping CB60 grip.  Apparently, the CB60 grip is for the longer putters, but that grip matched the specs I was looking for in a putter.  It was very nice of them to call and verify my order.  Since it was a special order, it would take up to 2 weeks to get it.  

When it came, I immediately went to my course's practice putting green.  Spent about an hour with it.  It feels different than any putter I have ever tried. The first very noticeable difference with the Doon is the sound.  It has that classic old "Ping" sound on longer putts.  Short putts are more muted, but it's still there.  I figured it would take awhile to get used to it on the course, and I was right.  I've had it for a week now, and I think I am just now starting to be comfortable with it.  Short putts are no problem; love it!!  I had problems on longer putts with speed control.  My stroke with the counterbalance is slightly different; it's purely a pendulum motion whereas my usual stroke is pendulum with a little acceleration from my trail hand.  Today's round finally felt like I had a better control of distance, but more rounds are certainly necessary.  However, I think I am going to like this putter a lot.  Time will tell.  

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Very nice write up.. Putter looks great.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

That is good looking putter. Love the shape of the head. I've been a mallet guy for a long time and am still trying to get the Rife putter out of the bag. Nothing I have tried to this point has done the job as consistently well. After reading your review I'm going to have to track one of these down and give it a go. Thanks for the post.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

Nice looking putter. That is a long grip!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Nice looking putter. That is a long grip!

Since it's counterbalanced, weight needs to be above the hands.  Since I requested a shorter than standard length, 2nd Swing asked if I wanted a standard SuperStroke grip.  My normal grip on the club is low because of my stance, and I wanted the weight in the grip to help balance the heavier head.  Seems to work for me so far!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

That flatstick is a beauty. Hope it keeps rolling for you!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Since it's counterbalanced, weight needs to be above the hands. Since I requested a shorter than standard length, 2nd Swing asked if I wanted a standard SuperStroke grip. My normal grip on the club is low because of my stance, and I wanted the weight in the grip to help balance the heavier head. Seems to work for me so far!

My back hurts thinking about choking down on a 34" putter. I'm glad it works for you though! Different strokes for different folks.

That's a cool looking head. It looks like you'll be pulling a wedding train behind you.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I had fun rolling this one at the long length. Bet it's super stable at 34". Good choice going with the longer grip. That's a solid look B)

Wow!  I think I just got a putter blessing from the MGS putter guy.  Thanks!!

My back hurts thinking about choking down on a 34" putter. I'm glad it works for you though! Different strokes for different folks.

That's a cool looking head. It looks like you'll be pulling a wedding train behind you.

Actually, I am not all that bent over, so my back doesn't hurt anymore that it already does because of old age.  I stand fairly upright and close to the ball with my lead eye directly over the ball, which is why I need the lie angle 2* upright.  I am almost 6' tall, but I have a fairly wide stance which lowers my hands onto the club nicely.  The wide stance is something I started doing years ago because we usually play in a lot of wind; better stability.

Archived