TESTERS WANTED! ×

Adding length to irons

I'm really struggling to keep my knees flexed and my spine angle consistent these days. I've had a bad right knee for years now along with my right leg being two inches shorter than my left one. My balance is terrible and I tend to sway all over the place.  Ok my question to you equipment experts is will longer irons allow me to swing with less knee bend/flex? I'm not talking about a drastic change with maybe a 1/2 to an inch difference. How would this affect a clubs lie if you add length to a set I'm currently gaming which is 1 degree flat? I realize a good fitting is the real answer however let's chew the fat over this proposal.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I'm no equipment expert but I added 1/2" to mine from a static fitting and they definitely helped me stand more upright. If you go that route, I'd imagine you would want to bend those lies a little more upright as well which, if you're going to do that, you should definitely get fit since you need to go to an authorized person to get that work done anyway.

You could also just try playing a little closer to the ball to give yourself a similar effect.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Irons are fit to posture, setup, and impact. If you stand taller it would probably make you need irons that are more upright and longer.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

What they said

I added 1" extensions myself to all my irons, it's a pretty simple process. I'd say it will help that posture, but like they said, you'll most likely have to adjust the lie. You could always check the lie afterwards and see how everything turns out before adjusting it.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

What they said

I added 1" extensions myself to all my irons, it's a pretty simple process. I'd say it will help that posture, but like they said, you'll most likely have to adjust the lie. You could always check the lie afterwards and see how everything turns out before adjusting it.

I have a good buddy who can add the extensions and check the lie.  I think maybe start with my seven iron.  Get it extended and give it some range time then play a round to see how it feels.

Cleveland

Good advice so far.  An easy way to see would be pull a grip off one of your irons, throw in an extension and see what happens.  Just do one to see if you like it.  

You could also try and find a single iron on ebay to buy of your set, then buy a shaft and build it up an inch longer.  May cost a little more but then you aren't messing with your gamers if you don't like it.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Good advice so far. An easy way to see would be pull a grip off one of your irons, throw in an extension and see what happens. Just do one to see if you like it.

You could also try and find a single iron on ebay to buy of your set, then buy a shaft and build it up an inch longer. May cost a little more but then you aren't messing with your gamers if you don't like it.

To that end, you could also try buying a total junker (or dig one of out of your garage) and see how the length feels for you. If your buddy has the equipment to do club work, chances are he's got something that's already set to what you're looking for just laying around.

Bending the lies is definitely not something to play with so you want to be absolutely certain before you do it. A weak hosel is a sad hosel.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

To that end, you could also try buying a total junker (or dig one of out of your garage) and see how the length feels for you. If your buddy has the equipment to do club work, chances are he's got something that's already set to what you're looking for just laying around.

Bending the lies is definitely not something to play with so you want to be absolutely certain before you do it. A weak hosel is a sad hosel.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

I like the "dig one out the garage idea" ! I have one that I received as a single test iron a while back.

Cleveland

Ok so I just returned home from DSG and my buddy added an inch to a six iron I was sent to test. It really sits well for me and I'm looking forward to getting it to the range.  If not today may tomorrow I can take it for a spin.  It's also a graphite shaft which I have been thinking about changing to from steel so it will be an interesting gig.

Cleveland

Add the length and and check your ball strike to see if you need to make them more upright, I wouldn't just assume that adding length means that you need to change the lie, as said before, try it with 1 club, and have it checked. or maybe you like the ball flight and don't want to change it.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I'd be worried that your swing weights will go up and your club will get heavier and also alter the way your shaft should perform.

Were you fit for a certain length or do you just grab standard off the rack and go?

I actually the think added length (therefore added weight) will do more damage than good as far as fixing your spine angle issues.

Maybe take the focus off your right knee staying bent and focus on your right shoulder staying down through Impact.

I come up and out of my spine angle and my right knee stays pretty flexed still. My extending comes from a terrible fear of hitting it fat. 🤦🏻‍♂️

@BryanGolf

Cobra F7+ w/Project X HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5

Cobra F7 3 Wood w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 80TX
TaylorMade M2 5 Wood w/Graphite Design DI 8X
TaylorMade UDI 3 Iron w/Project X HZRDUS Black 105g 6.5
TaylorMade P770 4 Iron, P750 5-PW w/True Temper DGTI X100
TaylorMade Milled Grind SB 54w/DGTI S400
​Titleist Vokey SM6 60* M Grind w/DGTI S400
TaylorMade Spider Tour Blue

I have 2 knee replacements, increased my Lie by 2*, cut my driver down to 43.5" threw the 5,4,3 iron in the trash and now have 19, 25 and 27* 816H1 in my bag works good for me.

Hope it works out for u, juast when we have time and money damn carbon breaks down and we start falling apart. 😎⛳

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I did a fitting for my new Cobra irons today...I've always played standard length but because I'm as flexible any more I was fit 1/2” longer

I used to be 1* up....but with the 1/2” added I was 2* up......with that setup I started killing the ball!

Let us know how it works out.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

What's your shaft lean angle at impact. If you are hitting the ball at the bottom of your swing aka full loft adding an inch or 2 wouldn't make any noticeable difference. If you are delofting the clubface at impact it could mean 15-20 more yard at the same swing speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What's your shaft lean angle at impact. If you are hitting the ball at the bottom of your swing aka full loft adding an inch or 2 wouldn't make any noticeable difference. If you are delofting the clubface at impact it could mean 15-20 more yard at the same swing speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm definitely delofting the club.  I will be taking out the six iron either today or definitely tomorrow, that my friend added an inch to last weekend.  It will be an interesting experiment to say the least.

Cleveland

Update since adding the inch to my test six iron.  So far I am having a surprising amount of success with this experiment.  I hit my best shot of the day yesterday into the 18th green to save a few bucks with it.  That's showing confidence when you have to make par with a club that is totally different than the rest of your set.

Cleveland

Archived