Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Golf club technology

cnosil

Read a Twitter post this morning from and thought it would make an interesting topic.

The tweet: GOLF FACT: Most putters have zero technology in them that help golfers shoot lower scores.

While the tweet is about putters does the same thought apply to all clubs? Is technology biased based on handicap since research seems to indicate there has not been significant improvement in golfer scores over time? Does the same technology have to benefit everyone to be considered successful?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Well at the same time, didn't the courses get longer and harder to compensate? I know that's definitely the case on tour.

As far as the average Joe is concerned, no matter what technology you give them, their scores will always be limited by the time they are able to put into the game.

Technology can only bring you so far. You've still got to have touch, solid decision making, and a repeatable swing/stroke to shoot lower.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Golf is hard.  If people are looking for technology to help them improve, I don't think they are going to find it.  You still need to practice; that's why golfer's scores haven't improved... they don't practice any more than they used to. 

I actually don't agree that putters have zero technology in them to help shoot lower scores.  I have only been playing for 26 years, and when I started, putters weren't very tech-oriented.  In the last 10 years I have seen lots of changes; face-inserts, mallets, face-balanced, high MOI, even different colors seem to have some impact.  But it's like the rest of the game; if you don't practice any more than you used to, you won't shoot lower scores.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'd like to see a study of distance claims made by the major mfg's. As we all know with each new club - drivers in particular are longer than the one before it -  6 weeks ago. For example... let's go back to when Tmag came out with a metal driver and work forward. I'm sure at that time the club produced more distance. Same with Callaway and their original Great Big Bertha. Just this year for example Callaway claims 15 more yards with the Epic. (I'm not seeing with the guys I play with.)

So, 25 years ago what was the average distance of a driver? If we were to take the claims of the Mfg's and add all the distance they say they're giving us shouldn't we all be knocking it over the clubhouse on 18 by now?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

In the last 10 years I have seen lots of changes; face-inserts, mallets, face-balanced, high MOI, even different colors seem to have some impact.

How is Face balance a technology and how does it make you score lower?

When I think about putting there are a few skills that have to be in place: Read, aim, stroke, and speed.

No club technology will help you read a putt. I believe design will help with consistent /optimal stroke but there really isn't a tech thing to help your stroke. Assisting a persons Aim is something that you might be able to start considering things like alignment aids or putter color. Speed is something since a face cane be designed to minimize speed loss on off center hits.

Is seemores RST a tech thing? It helps aim, but forces you to use the putter in a specific way. How about MLAs aim approach? Does Grace's HSM, pings TR face, or Guerin's face really provide significant improvement on helping speed on off center putts? Is any other groove technology just marketing?

Or is tech in putters useless and you just need to practice more.

How about irons? What tech improvements have been made there? Is moving weight a technology thing?

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I

So, 25 years ago what was the average distance of a driver? If we were to take the claims of the Mfg's and add all the distance they say they're giving us shouldn't we all be knocking it over the clubhouse on 18 by now?

MGS did a test that showed older drivers don't hit the ball as far as newer. I thing it was the super quad vs the M1. Also reading the manufacturer fine print you will see the distance claims are against older clubs and nit the previous years.

But you other point is still valid your playing partners aren't seeing improvement so does tech really make you play better? All indications seem to point to No.

I think some of the tech does help. I joke around all the time on a mis-hit drive, "thank goodness for a 460cc head otherwise I'd have whiffed."

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

How is Face balance a technology and how does it make you score lower?

When I think about putting there are a few skills that have to be in place: Read, aim, stroke, and speed.

No club technology will help you read a putt. I believe design will help with consistent /optimal stroke but there really isn't a tech thing to help your stroke. Assisting a persons Aim is something that you might be able to start considering things like alignment aids or putter color. Speed is something since a face cane be designed to minimize speed loss on off center hits.

Is seemores RST a tech thing? It helps aim, but forces you to use the putter in a specific way. How about MLAs aim approach? Does Grace's HSM, pings TR face, or Guerin's face really provide significant improvement on helping speed on off center putts? Is any other groove technology just marketing?

Or is tech in putters useless and you just need to practice more.

How about irons? What tech improvements have been made there? Is moving weight a technology thing?

I agree that no club technology will help read a putt, unless you have Al Czervik's putter given to him by Einstein (he made a fortune in physics!).  

I don't remember that face-balanced putters were available much back around early 1990's.  Maybe others could enlighten me on that subject.  So, I'm including face-balancing as a technology design feature to assist certain people make a consistent stroke.  If you don't want to include it as technology, I'm OK with that.  However, I think face-balanced putters have been an essential feature in putter development.  It seems the trend on all tours right now.

I also think there is something to the recent face changes for off center hits, however I also think that people have to practice with it in order to take advantage of that design feature.  If you don't have a good feel for speed and distance already, the technology of face design isn't going to help all that much.  I have only had the Ping Sigma G Doon in my bag for a little over a week, but I can tell that it fits my stroke nicely, I have less tendency to miss shorter putts left or right, and after quite a bit of practice, I am getting consistent distance on longer putts.  I know I'm not hitting the sweet spot consistently; how can I?  I don't look at the ball when I putt!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I just had a guy walk in with an epic project X hazardous and a ping G 400 Alta CB and he wanted me to put the project X in the ping and the other in the epic.

Yes, I am a Golf Professional. No, I don't know how to do that.

That's the difference between running the driving range dressed nice (today) vs. wearing a non matching belt/shoe combo. At least in N.E. Dallas.

Cool guy, but I'm looking at that and thinking nah nah no way I'm not wrecking the letters and numbers and shapes between that ferule and club head.

On a sidenote I've got a full line, city championship is here tomorrow and I've already seen one epic bust completely at the crown which really sucked for the guy that brought it in and undoubtedly the person at golf galaxy who sold it to him, but I did get to see the jailbreak technology.

#fridaysnormalsaturdaylol

Technology absolutely can help you shoot lower scores.  I was a +3 in college with Ping Eye 2s and a 5.5* driver....imagine if I had the fitting and shafts as well as a 460cc driver head?  Back then your choices were steel shaft or graphite shaft and flex with not really much else to choose.  

There was a huge jump from wood to metal then metal to titanium and then the club head size.  Not to mention what has happened to the ball.  If you can fine a balata ball or a wound ball in decent shape take it out on the course and play with it, you will really see how you can work a ball with either of those. The ProV1 was a revolution in the ball industry and killed the older wound balls.  Also avoided having to carry a gauge to measure if a ball went out of round.  

As far as putters goes there is tech, but to me the main advancement in putter tech is fitting.  True that you still need to strike the ball and read the green correctly, but having a properly fit flatstick takes some of the variables out of the equation which at the end of the day is the key to shooting a good score....control as much as you can.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Technology absolutely can help you shoot lower scores. I was a +3 in college with Ping Eye 2s and a 5.5* driver....imagine if I had the fitting and shafts as well as a 460cc driver head? Back then your choices were steel shaft or graphite shaft and flex with not really much else to choose.

There was a huge jump from wood to metal then metal to titanium and then the club head size. Not to mention what has happened to the ball. If you can fine a balata ball or a wound ball in decent shape take it out on the course and play with it, you will really see how you can work a ball with either of those. The ProV1 was a revolution in the ball industry and killed the older wound balls. Also avoided having to carry a gauge to measure if a ball went out of round.

As far as putters goes there is tech, but to me the main advancement in putter tech is fitting. True that you still need to strike the ball and read the green correctly, but having a properly fit flatstick takes some of the variables out of the equation which at the end of the day is the key to shooting a good score....control as much as you can.

Agree 100% about fitting but is that a technology incorporated into the actual club?

I am thinking the bigger question is what is the definition of technology when it comes to clubs

Well at the same time, didn't the courses get longer and harder to compensate? I know that's definitely the case on tour.

As far as the average Joe is concerned, no matter what technology you give them, their scores will always be limited by the time they are able to put into the game.

Technology can only bring you so far. You've still got to have touch, solid decision making, and a repeatable swing/stroke to shoot lower.

Well said in a nutshell

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I'd like to see a study of distance claims made by the major mfg's. As we all know with each new club - drivers in particular are longer than the one before it -  6 weeks ago. For example... let's go back to when Tmag came out with a metal driver and work forward. I'm sure at that time the club produced more distance. Same with Callaway and their original Great Big Bertha. Just this year for example Callaway claims 15 more yards with the Epic. (I'm not seeing with the guys I play with.)

So, 25 years ago what was the average distance of a driver? If we were to take the claims of the Mfg's and add all the distance they say they're giving us shouldn't we all be knocking it over the clubhouse on 18 by now?

I will state with a more modern shaft that drivers from the last 8 years ago go just as good as a new one. If you go back to the 80s 90s with like the old Bertha or old TM Burner no with any modern shaft. IMHO most of the technology improvements have been the balls and the shafts in the last 8 years or so. Good example recently I found a 2007 Burner driver in the pile at work. Now it had a ladies shaft in it. I took that out and put a Mitsubshi Diamana 60 in I had laying around which is the same shaft as in my 915. I  hit it as good as I do the 915 no further no less but the same

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Technology absolutely can help you shoot lower scores.  I was a +3 in college with Ping Eye 2s and a 5.5* driver....imagine if I had the fitting and shafts as well as a 460cc driver head?  Back then your choices were steel shaft or graphite shaft and flex with not really much else to choose.  

There was a huge jump from wood to metal then metal to titanium and then the club head size.  Not to mention what has happened to the ball.  If you can fine a balata ball or a wound ball in decent shape take it out on the course and play with it, you will really see how you can work a ball with either of those. The ProV1 was a revolution in the ball industry and killed the older wound balls.  Also avoided having to carry a gauge to measure if a ball went out of round.  

As far as putters goes there is tech, but to me the main advancement in putter tech is fitting.  True that you still need to strike the ball and read the green correctly, but having a properly fit flatstick takes some of the variables out of the equation which at the end of the day is the key to shooting a good score....control as much as you can.

LOL I still have my roundness gauge

G

Agree 100% about fitting but is that a technology incorporated into the actual club?

I am thinking the bigger question is what is the definition of technology when it comes to clubs

Yes it is. I will take Ping again as an example. For years they had one line of clubs out. If you wanted Pings you had one choice. Now you have three or four. If you like blades you can get them, players cavities or SGI irons. You can get those options in any swing weight or shaft combo your heart desires. If you want iBlades with 65g senior shafts at D5 I am sure it can be done. To have lines of clubs that perform that well with as much customization as that in my mind in technology.

WITB 2024

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

LOL I still have my roundness gauge

Me too. Just haven't used it in 15 years.

WITB 2024

I just did an iron fitting. I'm 6'2" and 70 y o. I have played irons 2* up and 1/2" long. My fitter had me on trackman and when the fitting was done I ordered Srixon 765-575 combo 1/2" long standard lie. Got the irons and went to the range and found my pw went about 140 and the 7 went about 175. All this was in a slight rain no roll. All in all I'm very impressed. Thank you trackman and a great fitter

I just did an iron fitting. I'm 6'2" and 70 y o. I have played irons 2* up and 1/2" long. My fitter had me on trackman and when the fitting was done I ordered Srixon 765-575 combo 1/2" long standard lie. Got the irons and went to the range and found my pw went about 140 and the 7 went about 175. All this was in a slight rain no roll. All in all I'm very impressed. Thank you trackman and a great fitter

I'm 70 y o, and I want what he's getting!!

I'm 70 y o, and I want what he's getting!!

Well I wanna know about the fitness tips he uses so I can start now. Those are my numbers and I'm 40 years younger.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Yes it is. I will take Ping again as an example. For years they had one line of clubs out. If you wanted Pings you had one choice. Now you have three or four. If you like blades you can get them, players cavities or SGI irons. You can get those options in any swing weight or shaft combo your heart desires. If you want iBlades with 65g senior shafts at D5 I am sure it can be done. To have lines of clubs that perform that well with as much customization as that in my mind in technology.

If they can not get them to D-5 with that shaft then bring them on down to me-- I have lots and lots of lead tape and ain't scared to use it   ;)

G

Me too. Just haven't used it in 15 years.

I think mine is still hanging off my old Ping Staff bag which is across the street buried in the back of my warehouse. LOL that bag has not seen the light of day in 17 years

G

Yes and No. The best athletes can do well in their sport using any old equipment, but they will generally do better with modern equipment .. because they know how to get the most out of it and can use it the best.

The analogy that pops into my mind whenever this type of discussion comes up is from surfing - sometime ago I saw a picture of Kelly Slater .. multiple time pro world champ (and also a near-scratch golfer) .. surfing a wave literally on a door! An actual big, heavy wood raised panel door (sans knob!).

But is that his favorite wave riding vehicle? No. Does he prefer, and do better on, modern equipment? Yes. In fact, Slater was known for riding what were nicknamed "potato chip" boards - they were so short and thin and light.

But they suited him and his style and his level of athleticism and were his preference, and he did well with them. Did those boards work as well for the other pros? No.

So for golf equipment I agree with what others have said, ie. technology can help you .. if you know how to swing a club .. but the tech alone cannot make a good swing...........

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Oh, w/r/t putters and tech ... cnosil had mentioned MLA. As one of the XDream testers if I may call their unique alignment aid a "technology" then I will say that it definitely has helped me putt better.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Oh, w/r/t putters and tech ... cnosil had mentioned MLA. As one of the XDream testers if I may call their unique alignment aid a "technology" then I will say that it definitely has helped me putt better.

If research goes into the development of it, I'd call it technology. That includes the optical research required to develop the visual aids on those putters.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Ok, if you don't think it helps, go play a round (or 6) with my starter, hand me down, set of Wilson Cary Middlecoff blades and persimmon woods.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

It's hard to argue that there haven't been technological advances over the course of the past 30 years.

Year to year they may not be noticeable but over time they make a difference. 30 additional yards on average for the top players - less for us - more for the long drive guys.

I would also disagree that there is no beneficial technology in putters. People do miss hit putter frequently - anything that mitigates those Miss hits helps. There are a number of putters that claim to do that and I suspect that many do.

The bigger question that I always have is where's the cut off point? If I have a five year old driver that still fits me will there be a gain by moving to a well fit version of this year's model? When should I consider switching? That's the question.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It's hard to argue that there haven't been technological advances over the course of the past 30 years.

Year to year they may not be noticeable but over time they make a difference. 30 additional yards on average for the top players - less for us - more for the long drive guys.

I would also disagree that there is no beneficial technology in putters. People do miss hit putter frequently - anything that mitigates those Miss hits helps. There are a number of putters that claim to do that and I suspect that many do.

The bigger question that I always have is where's the cut off point? If I have a five year old driver that still fits me will there be a gain by moving to a well fit version of this year's model? When should I consider switching? That's the question.

I agree that there has been technology improvements in clubs.  But my original question is do these improvements help people shoot better scores?    Do those improvements in putter mishits drop 3 strokes from your score, how about even 1?  How about adding lets say 20 yard to your drive,  how many strokes does that take off your score?  

I agree that there has been technology improvements in clubs.  But my original question is do these improvements help people shoot better scores?    Do those improvements in putter mishits drop 3 strokes from your score, how about even 1?  How about adding lets say 20 yard to your drive,  how many strokes does that take off your score?  

I think it varies between people and courses.  At my course I would estimate that +20 yards on my drives would equate to 4 strokes on average.  I'm looking at which holes those 20 yards would affect my play.  I'm not counting holes where I'm hitting a shorter iron into the green; I'm counting holes where I can now get to the green in regulation, and one hole where I can now get to the corner of a dogleg par 5.

Archived