Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

"Errant leaf leads to four-shot penalty at Web Finals"

Kegger

This is a new one for me.. Never knew that you were REQUIRED to replay a stroke on the green where the ball is deflected by a leaf..

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/errant-leaf-leads-four-shot-penalty-web-finals/?cid=Email_MondayNL_20170925

I also think that the penalty for "signing a wrong scorecard" needs to end when penalties are retroactively added to a round.. But regardless of my views on the rules.. How many of you actually knew this rule existed?? 

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

I was unaware. Can't wait to pull that out in league. I'm sure it'll go over perfect with my opponents.

In seriousness, I don't think that's fair. It's like a freebie read. You don't get to re-tee when you hit a ball into the trees!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Not sure it applies if you didn't move a leaf or if the ball isn't in motion when the leaf lands in front of your ball

In this case the leaf came in after the ball was in motion. Compare that to the 2010 masters when an object landed on the green and deflected Phil Mickelson's ball.

I definitely didn't know the rule and would have defaulted to it being an unlucky break.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Had no clue about this rule.

So is it only a leaf in motion while the ball is moving? I'm assuming this doesn't count if just don't pick up a leaf in your line. Also what if the leaf blows into your line but is not moving at the time the ball hits it?

So many questions...

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

This rule definitely only applies if the leaf is in motion. Here is a snippet of the rule:

19-1. By Outside Agency

If a player's ball in motion is accidentally deflected or stopped by any outside agency, it is a rub of the green, there is no penalty and the ball must be played as it lies, except:

a.

If a player's ball in motion after a stroke other than on the putting green comes to rest in or on any moving or animate outside agency, the ball must through the green or in a hazard be dropped, or on the putting green be placed, as near as possible to the spot directly under the place where the ball came to rest in or on the outside agency, but not nearer the hole, and

b.

If a player's ball in motion after a stroke on the putting green is deflected or stopped by, or comes to rest in or on, any moving or animate outside agency, except a worm, insect or the like, the stroke is canceled. The ball must be replaced and replayed.

So the way I'm reading this, the ball being deflected by a moving leaf, constituted rule 19-1b, and therefore the stroke would have been cancelled and replayed.. If the leaf had not been moving at the time of the deflection, it would have fallen under just the general 19-1 rule and he would have played the ball as it lie..

Seems like a really weird written exception.. So if an insect  landed on his line and deflected the ball, he would have been fine playing it as it lie, but because it was a leaf, the stroke was cancelled? I will definitely remember this rule for my next windy outing!

I don't disagree with the rule.  He should have been allowed to replace the ball and putt it again.  The leaf blowing in and completely knocking his ball offline was beyond his control.  But then to penalize him 4 strokes for not knowing some completely obscure rule is insanity.

I don't disagree with the rule.  He should have been allowed to replace the ball and putt it again.  The leaf blowing in and completely knocking his ball offline was beyond his control.  But then to penalize him 4 strokes for not knowing some completely obscure rule is insanity.

Yes, for once, the basis for the rule isn't the issue here, it's everything that followed, playing from an incorrect spot and signing an incorrect scorecard.. I hate how golf feels the need to compound penalties. If a rules official can retroactively enforce a penalty and thus modify a player's score, shouldn't that player also be given the opportunity to modify their score?

I totally understand the absurdness that is the rules of golf.  There is no question that the rules need to be simplified and overhauled.

However, if golf is your profession and you play professionally for a living, how do you not go through the rules with a fine tooth comb and know it by heart?  It's like not studying for a test and then getting pissed when you get an answer wrong.

I'm guessing it's been Southgate's dream to play on the PGA tour for some time now.  Yes a stupid absurd and hard to understand rule may end up costing him his tour card.  But on the flip side you could say that what cost him his tour card could have been avoided just by reading and understanding a book!  Come on, RTFM!

I was once told by a state trooper that ignorance of the law is not an excuse to break the law.  Just because you don't know a rule doesn't mean it's not still a rule and you will be penalized according to said rule.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

This is a crazy obscure rule.....not sure I agree with it

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I totally understand the absurdness that is the rules of golf.  There is no question that the rules need to be simplified and overhauled.

However, if golf is your profession and you play professionally for a living, how do you not go through the rules with a fine tooth comb and know it by heart?  It's like not studying for a test and then getting pissed when you get an answer wrong.

I'm guessing it's been Southgate's dream to play on the PGA tour for some time now.  Yes a stupid absurd and hard to understand rule may end up costing him his tour card.  But on the flip side you could say that what cost him his tour card could have been avoided just by reading and understanding a book!  Come on, RTFM!

I was once told by a state trooper that ignorance of the law is not an excuse to break the law.  Just because you don't know a rule doesn't mean it's not still a rule and you will be penalized according to said rule.

I think RTFM just about sums it up. Can't win the game if you don't know the rules. It's the same with taxes.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

This rule definitely only applies if the leaf is in motion. Here is a snippet of the rule:

So the way I'm reading this, the ball being deflected by a moving leaf, constituted rule 19-1b, and therefore the stroke would have been cancelled and replayed.. If the leaf had not been moving at the time of the deflection, it would have fallen under just the general 19-1 rule and he would have played the ball as it lie..

Seems like a really weird written exception.. So if an insect landed on his line and deflected the ball, he would have been fine playing it as it lie, but because it was a leaf, the stroke was cancelled? I will definitely remember this rule for my next windy outing!

Kegger,

Would the player get a where it lies if an insect dropped on the green when in motion. I think that may be tough luck as stated. May Im reading the exception wrong about insects

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I was unaware. Can't wait to pull that out in league. I'm sure it'll go over perfect with my opponents.

In seriousness, I don't think that's fair. It's like a freebie read. You don't get to re-tee when you hit a ball into the trees!

"I had to see which way the wind was blowing"

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Kegger,

Would the player get a where it lies if an insect dropped on the green when in motion. I think that may be tough luck as stated. May Im reading the exception wrong about insects

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Full disclosure, I was not aware of this rule until I looked it up after the article, so what I say is only speculative on my part... If I understand the rule correctly, then yes, the ball being deflected by an insect would be a "rub of the green", and would be played as it lie with no penalty.

Is wind, specifically, excluded from this Rule as an "outside agency"?

Say you hit a nice long, high approach shot .. on a beautiful trajectory right towards the middle of the green .. and a then, after you've made your stroke and the ball is in motion .. a strong gust of wind forces it off course and off the green (and maybe into a hazard)...?

Do you drop the ball in the middle of the green?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Is wind, specifically, excluded from this Rule as an "outside agency"?

Say you hit a nice long, high approach shot .. on a beautiful trajectory right towards the middle of the green .. and a then, after you've made your stroke and the ball is in motion .. a strong gust of wind forces it off course and off the green (and maybe into a hazard)...?

Do you drop the ball in the middle of the green?

:lol:

Neither wind nor water is an outside agency.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

So let me get this straight, there is a rule that actually would have helped him and allowed him to possibly have a lower score, but rarely if ever does it happen, but because he didn't know this apparent good rule, not only was he penalized because he thought it was just bad luck, but then penalized 4 more times because apparently you get to replay the stroke, but no one knew about. I don't think I've ever heard or seen this rule, ever.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

So let me get this straight, there is a rule that actually would have helped him and allowed him to possibly have a lower score, but rarely if ever does it happen, but because he didn't know this apparent good rule, not only was he penalized because he thought it was just bad luck, but then penalized 4 more times because apparently you get to replay the stroke, but no one knew about. I don't think I've ever heard or seen this rule, ever.

I think that sums it up pretty well. Except someone did know the rule or he wouldn't have been penalized.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think in a tour event there should be some thought to intent. By not retrying the putt he actually had already cost himself a stroke given the likelihood he would make that short putt with a do over. By not knowing the rule he had basically already penalized himself, and then he gets 4 more shots added to his score. I get the argument that as a pro he should know all of the rules but this one seems awful harsh.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I was certainly unaware of this rule. If I played golf for a living I would know it. I would constantly be reviewing the rules with my caddy.

Over the past couple of seasons we've seen stunning examples of how knowing the rules or not knowing them can make a difference in a tournament.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 weeks later...

Had an instance during my round today where this ruling popped into my head. After taking my putt, a butterfly decided that my ball looked scrumptious and attempted to land on it while it was still in motion towards the hole. It only seemed to touch it for a split second, if at all, but since I came up a couple inches short of the cup, I blame the butterfly! But regardless, as an insect does not qualify under rule 19-1b, the stroke counted and I walked off the green upset at myself for leaving the ball a couple inches short in the heart of the cup!

Archived