TESTERS WANTED! ×

Piretti vs Bettnardi vs Scotty vs Toulon Design

kaexo

Scotty has had inserts for a long time. Tei3 and other inserts since the 90s.

I think at this point in time, most putter manufacturers are on a pretty even playing field and it really depends on what you are looking for. Do you want a specific configuration? Concerned about resale? Cost? Tour presence? New or used?

Why limit to those and not some other OEM or boutique makers?

For me I would go with TP Mills over those but if I had to pick from that list it would most likely be Bettunardi because of the selection of used. Not much in their new likes appeals to me.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Scotty has had inserts for a long time. Tei3 and other inserts since the 90s.

I think at this point in time, most putter manufacturers are on a pretty even playing field and it really depends on what you are looking for. Do you want a specific configuration? Concerned about resale? Cost? Tour presence? New or used?

Why limit to those and not some other OEM or boutique makers?

For me I would go with TP Mills over those but if I had to pick from that list it would most likely be Bettunardi because of the selection of used. Not much in their new likes appeals to me.

I'm mostly referring to the Newport 2 change from 2014 to 2016 from having just a milled face to the insert.

I have taking a liking to the bb1f from Bettinardi but Piretti's milling seems top notch. My only issue is that I cannot try piretti anywhere near me.

I'm mostly referring to the Newport 2 change from 2014 to 2016 from having just a milled face to the insert.

I have taking a liking to the bb1f from Bettinardi but Piretti's milling seems top notch. My only issue is that I cannot try piretti anywhere near me.

Piretti's are nice the run in th heavy side; typically 365gr plus. If you want a heavy head then they are probably you best pick. Still think they are all basically the same with slightly different sound/feel which becomes a personal question.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

... I have played them all with the exception of Toulon. They all have a very solid feel and excellent balance. I honestly could not recommend one over the other as I think it really just comes down to personal preference. Fwiw, I still have my Bettinardi and Cameron but my Piretti was stolen right out of my bag and nothing else was taken. I have not used a premier OEM head cover since. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I really think Machine putters are awesome. Looks, feel, adjustability, and unique. They are solid putter's that everyone and Grandma doesn't have.

Sent from my XT1254 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver-10.5° M2 HC Hzrdus red 5.5

Fairway-15° M2 HC Hzrdus red 5.5

Hybrid-19° M2 HC Hzrdus black 5.5

Irons-4-PW Nike Covert Forged 105 Modus

Wedges-50°+54° RM-21 105 Modus 58° DJ-22

Putter-Machine M9 Mokume Gain All Damascus

Bag-Nike Platinum Modern Cart

Staying with the anser styled putters. Each company obviously has its own take on the look, width etc.

From a look perspective the Toulon is probably the most toned down with color or graphics, the look is smooth and easy as is the feel.

The Pirreti and Bett are super clean millings, the edges are a bit sharper by design. Bettinardi has upped their game in the splash it on column, Where Piretti is finding their way. 

From a feel perspective I would say the Pirreti is more crisp than the Toulon and softer than the Bett models. All are solid in their own way.

Once you have the parameters for the putter, length, lie, loft etc, then its what you like looking and feeling.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to post something that I put on the Toulon putter question within this forum, but amend it just a bit.  I would honestly look at Ping's Vault putter line.  I just recently went through a range of testing and the big thing I looked at when testing out putters were the off center hits.  That was the reason I was looking at a new putter because my miss is off the heel and I felt like I was losing, what seemed like, a 1/3 of the distance off a heel hit compared to a center strike.  The way I tested this with all putters was I would hit a center strike to a distance, not a hole, and repeat with toe and heel strikes.

The styles I was looking at were the Toulon Memphis, Scotty Futura 7M, and Ping Vault Oslo.  I couldn't find a Piretti or a Bettnardi that I liked to test.

The Toulon putter definitely won on the style category.  I think their entire like is very classy.  The only thing is I wish was different was that the grip.  I'm not a fan of the Lamkin grip.  I thought the it had a good feel off the head, and I thought the ball rolled well on a center strike.  I was noticing a bit of difference in the roll on off center hits because of that insert not going all the way down the face.  I felt that it wasn't keeping the same constant roll.  With that, the ball wasn't staying on line as much as I wanted.  Granted it would be a bad strike, but I was hoping it would stray to far from the hole/line.

The Scotty Cameron was probably the most stable of the 3 during the putting stroke.  I didn't feel like it moved at all during my swing.  It just felt so natural taking it back and through.  I will agree with the start of this topic in saying that the insert just isn't good.  I feel that it is just way too soft.  I'm even playing a premium ball, Srixon Z Star XV.  I felt like if you were playing a softer ball that, I don't know if you would even know you hit the ball it was that soft.  I wish he would go back to the milled faces like the Futura X putter.  Leave out the insert.

The Ping putter I was extremely easy to line up.  As soon as you set it down, it's set.  I didn't feel like you were second guessing the alignment at all.  The Ping PP62 grip isn't bad, but the PP60 is awful.  It felt like holding a triangle in your hand.  The big winner was the face.  The ball rolled off the face amazingly well.  On a long putt, I could count the skips before the ball starting rolling because the greens were a bit wet.  When I was testing the Scotty as well, you could hear the Scotty skip about 3 times and the Ping was 1 quick one.  This allowed the ball to stay on the line that I wanted.  With it being easy to line up, and stay on the line, I was more than impressed.  The final test I did was off center hits.  I would repeat this multiple times to ensure I wasn't adjusting for the strikes and to see if I could repeat results.  With the Ping they all ended up within a 5in circle of each other on long putts of say 20 feet.  I couldn't ask for better results.  

My personal opinion would be the Ping Vault because of the milled face.  I think it's one of the best one around.  That's why I just bought mine a few days ago to replace my Taylormade Spider Ghost S putter.  Please feel free to repeat that test for yourself.  I've found that off center test to be one of the most telling putter testing.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Archived