I'm a new poster to the Forums, here, though I've been reading the tests and your posts for years. After I'd paid for someone else to install grips and, later, shafts, in my clubs, the technician said, "Look, you seem to be a pretty handy guy, these are just mechanical processes. You could be doing this yourself and not paying me." Made sense! I'm a "Build Your Own Clubs" (BYOC) fan!

I've been building my own clubs since about 1999. I mostly use Bang Golf heads and have tried a LOT of different shafts. I keep coming back to my old Grafalloy Prolite Elite's in my drivers, and the Prolite Colors in my fairway woods (yes, they're metal, but...) I keep a couple of running searches on eBay. These older Stiff shafts just seem to fit my swing.

I have two sets of clubs with Bang drivers and fairway woods and Bang Mellow Yellow irons (one with the paint-fill changed to red) that I rotate most weeks. I recently added Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 Utility Irons to both sets. Each set is housed in an appropriately colored Sun Mountain C130 bag. (University of Wyoming for the yellow set.) I've been playing the red set for the past month or so, since I switched to full-cord grips in the heat. I'll leave the yellow set with the multi-compounds for now.

I'm a brand-loyal kinda guy. I try not to buy knock-offs, though I think I bought some fake Golf Pride's last year by mistake. Won't happen again.

I have two nearly identical Scotty Newports with Golf Pride SNSR Contour grips. One is copper-plated (aftermarket,) and the other was refurbed in Scotty's shop. I ruined the platinum finish on that one a couple of days after I got it back. Turns out I like it better this way! 

I'm a ball snob. I started playing Wilson Staff balls when I was in college, and I don't play anything else except to try a sleeve to compare once in a while. I've read everything ever written here on golf balls, and I just keep thinking that this is one more variable I can eliminate. I usually buy last year's model, NOS, in bulk, on eBay. I don't pay more than a buck a ball, including shipping. On the day I think it's the ball that's costing me strokes, I'll buy THIS year's model. (And probably lose 'em just the same!)

My wife says I'm a "shoe horse." Okay, ten pairs of golf shoes is probably overkill, But, they keep my feet happy! Again, brand-loyal: Gloves and shoes all FJ, all the time.

I know I won't ever make a living from golf, and that's just fine with me. Once in a while I make a club for someone else, or give someone a driver or a putter if I think it will help them enjoy playing more. I once bribed a service technician with a new Cobra driver. I bought the head on eBay, paired it with an excellent shaft I didn't like, and he loved it!

I think a big part of the reason more families don't take up golf is because clubs for kids are difficult to fit and buy or make. Components are not readily available, and sets are far too expensive to fit kids who grow so fast! (There ought to be an exchange program for kids' clubs!) I'm building a new set for my wife who has had three sets in the past 15 years and has yet to play a full round of golf. (It's along story.)

I LOVE golf and golf equipment! But, I think the act of hitting a golf shot depends upon the interaction of the entire "system:" We buy or build golf clubs to fit the swing we THINK we have, to hit the ball we choose (for sometimes dubious reasons,) and adapt the swing we REALLY have to produce results as close as possible to the results we had in mind at the outset.

When the results or expectations change, we try again. And, therein lies the fun!

Thanks for indulging my fancy, fantasy, and fanaticism!

• Like 4

Nice introduction, welcome to the forum from Indiana

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Welcome aboard REMGolf! That was a seriously comprehensive intro! Hope to see you around the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    zzzzhjx456

• By RWankles8
      RW's one word review - FIRM 
      Hopefully you like calluses!

I've been playing the Lamkin UTx Midsize Reminder for the last season or so, and wanted to see how the Golf Pride Z Grip Align's compare.  My biggest issue with the UTx is the loss of tackiness and grip texture mid round.  I've realized I must have extremely dirty hands because to keep them tacky, I have to clean the grips during my round.  I play in the south, so the necessity for a cord grip is a must.  Hence my gravitation to the Z Grip. Golf Pride hails the Z Grip as the firmest grip model with "heavy cord texture and moisture management."  And indeed it is firm.  I mean really firm, like don't hit one thin.  Ever.

Its also noticeably thinner than the UTx Midsize.  My 6 iron was gripped first with no additional wraps, and that's when I noticed the size difference.  Not to make the same mistake twice, my Fairway Metal was wrapped with 3 additional wraps of tape.  These additional wraps made the grip closest to the size of the UTx Midsize.

Reminder grips have been around forever, and in Golf Pride's eyes, what's old is new right?  I enjoy a reminder.  I've had grip issues forever, and they help me place my hands where they should be.  Does the Align tech help - Yes.  Is it any better than a standard reminder grip - No.  One downside to reminder grips is they really shouldn't be played with wedges in my opinion.  If you open the club face at all the "Align strip" gets all out of whack and really throws your "align"ment off.  (Currently waiting on the Lamkin Players Cord to come in)
      Final Thoughts
      The Golf Pride Z Cord Align is a great grip if you enjoy a firm feel and need to be "reminded" where your hands go.  I'll play these until the wear out, or want something new, but will not be purchasing again.  
      3 out of 5
    • By JohnSmalls
      Wilson Staff D7 Challenge/Demo. Never been to one, so why not start here?? 
    • By GolfSpy Barbajo
      Some sweet new bags released today by Wilson Golf.  Whaddya guys think?

WILSON UNVEILS NEW EXO GOLF BAG FAMILY

The new Wilson Staff eXo cart and carry line delivers a higher level of organization through its wide open top and geometric pocket designs.

CHICAGO, September 24th , 2018 – Wilson has officially announced the 2019 line of eXo carry and eXo cart bags. Designed with optimal club space and ergonomic pockets, eXo offers a wide range of storage options for golfers who enjoy easy access to their equipment while walking or riding during their round.

The five-way 10' x 7.5' top of the eXo carry bag incorporates five large dividers which allow for easy club organization and accessibility. With six functional storage pockets, the new carry bag provides golfers ample storage space and convenience access to the essentials during a round on the course.

“The organization and design of each pocket on the eXo carry and cart line make things effortless for golfers,” said Jean-Pierre Degembe, Global Product Director. “We went to great lengths to meet the needs of the everyday golfer, who enjoys the game without the hassle of searching or misplacing items inside their bags.”

The lightweight eXo carry bagweighs in at 5.1lb/2.3 kg, features a non-skid base which rests flat on the ground and has integrated stand legs completing the self-standing design for greater stability around the golf course. The bag also offers a 2-in- one self-balancing four-point double strap system for carrying comfort.

Designed for the keen carrier, the eXo carry bag integrates 3D air flow padded straps and a 3D air flow hip/low back pad to keep golfers cool in warmer conditions.

Additional features include an umbrella and glove holders, a towel ring and rain hood for inclement weather.

The eXo cart bag features a new 14-way 11' x 9' top with 14 full-length dividers with an enlarged putter well to accommodate oversized grips. A new base which features a trolley anchor, which fits easily on a cart and securely on a trolley.

Eight functional pockets provide smooth access to belongings, which includes two “Dry- tech” pockets, two full-size garment spaces and three front accessories pockets. The cart bag also showcases one large cooler pocket. The umbrella and glove holder, tee holders, towel ring, rain hood and 3D foam padded strap complete the list of additional bag features.

Both eXo carry and eXo cart bags are available in four stylish colour schemes: Blue/Royal/Yellow, Black/Black/Orange, Navy/White/Red and Red/White/Red.

The eXo family will be available starting Monday, Spetember 24.

Price Details:
      eXo Carry: $159.99 eXo Cart: $179.99

• By Chadlius88
      Like your typical beginner golfer, I selected my first balls based on the fact that I was likely to lose a lot of them. So for my first round I grabbed 2 boxes of Nitro distance balls at Wally World for 5 bucks per dozen. Yup, lost most of ‘em. But at least I realized pretty quickly that balls sure do make a difference. So I tested several balls as I went along, as my game improved, so did my ball selection until I finally ended up choosing the Srixon Z Star, which is my current gamer, and has been since the middle of last year.

Enter the new Wilson Staff Duo Soft Spin (SSP), promising extra spin around the green and a super soft feel. As a die hard Wilson Staff fan (see my signature for the proof) I just had to give these balls a shot. They are a 3 piece ball with an Ionomer cover.

My initial thoughts are all positive, I think Wilson Staff has created a fantastic ball at a great price point. However, they definitely aren't for everyone, and here's why:

That super soft feel part, holy moly. The balls are only 40 compression, so when you hit ‘em good, you definitely get a rubbery feedback, so if you don't like that sort of a feel, you'll hate these balls. I just so happen to like it; and around the greens it actually provides me with great feedback and improves my touch, but we'll get to that in a sec.

Off the tee on hole 1 at the oaks in Somersworth NH, I hit a 253 yard bomb with my 3 wood. The ball went dead straight over the bunkers that cross the fairway, the ball went high enough that my friends and I lost it in the sky and never saw it down. But as I pulled up I saw that my ball had almost rolled through the fairway but stopped about a foot short, leaving me a lob wedge into the par 4 for my second. Don't get too excited, I ended up 3 putting for a bogie. But this leads me well into the next part.

On approach shots, I had no trouble getting the ball to stop quickly on a course that in notorious for ridiculously fast greens. On hole 11, a par 5 I had another lob wedge into a green with the pin at the front of the green. I caught the fringe and the ball checked up less than a foot from the pin for a tap in birdie.

The ball provided plenty of spin around the green. I had multiple chips that I felt I hit way too hard but the ball checked up quick enough to keep me 10 feet or less from the pin. And the feel was fantastic, I could really tell if I had hit the ball with the right touch.

Off the putter was great as well. I did some of my best putting ever during my first round with this ball. 35 putts, when I average in the 40s on a normal day. The ball felt soft but borderline solid off the putter face with a nice quiet sound, no clicking from this ball.

This ball will definitely be staying in my bag for a while for further testing. But so far I am a huge fan. Plus, now I can say I play all Wilson everythang. Check back for updates.

• By whoopwhoop893
      Whoopwhoop here, I was lucky enough to be a tester for the Golf Pride Align grip giveaway Golf Pride did a few weeks ago and decided to do a quick review.

First off, I love trying new equipment so I was delighted to get a grip in the mail.  When I entered, I had three choices of Golf Pride's Align line.

One was oversize option, one was the MCC dual compound and the third was their tour velvet.  All had this new align grip feature that intrigued me.  I've never have tried a dual compound grip before so that's the one I picked.

Once I got it in the mail. I quickly put on some Marley and set up shop in my kitchen (ahh city livin').  I've attached a picture of me putting it on my driver.  I have a oldish Callaway Diablo driver that had the stock grip still on it. 

Just some notes from testing it on the course:

1) Looks really pretty, though I'm not a huge fan of the white.  I'd prefer it in red.

2) The alignment feature, It's supposed to help you align your grip properly every time and a sensation of alignment during the swing.  This to me wasn't clear at first because I thought it was visual, but nope, goes on the bottom of the shaft. And that's the last I ever thought of it.  Just marketing mubo jumbo to me.  I will say that knowing it was there did make me think it might have some extremely subtle effect, but it's not noticeable.

3) Performance: Well, this is subjective.  However, I will say I think dual compound is good for a firmer grip.  I generally like firmer grips.  This grip also seems like it will do well for my sweaty hands in the summer.

4) Conclusions:  For me, I wouldn't switch over my grips onto the rest of my clubs with the Golf Pride MCC align.  I think the helpfulness of the alignment line is marketing silliness and didn't notice it as much help.  As for the multi compound, I didn't really like it and wish I chose the Tour Velvet.  I think that's the best option for me.  If you're on a budget, I wouldn't pay extra for the alignment feature or MCC.  And honestly, I will be much more careful about marketing features from the golf industry in general after trying the Align grips for myself.

• Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!