TESTERS WANTED! ×

New to the Forum, not new to golf.

I'm a new poster to the Forums, here, though I've been reading the tests and your posts for years. After I'd paid for someone else to install grips and, later, shafts, in my clubs, the technician said, "Look, you seem to be a pretty handy guy, these are just mechanical processes. You could be doing this yourself and not paying me." Made sense! I'm a "Build Your Own Clubs" (BYOC) fan!

I've been building my own clubs since about 1999. I mostly use Bang Golf heads and have tried a LOT of different shafts. I keep coming back to my old Grafalloy Prolite Elite's in my drivers, and the Prolite Colors in my fairway woods (yes, they're metal, but...) I keep a couple of running searches on eBay. These older Stiff shafts just seem to fit my swing.

I have two sets of clubs with Bang drivers and fairway woods and Bang Mellow Yellow irons (one with the paint-fill changed to red) that I rotate most weeks. I recently added Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 Utility Irons to both sets. Each set is housed in an appropriately colored Sun Mountain C130 bag. (University of Wyoming for the yellow set.) I've been playing the red set for the past month or so, since I switched to full-cord grips in the heat. I'll leave the yellow set with the multi-compounds for now.

I'm a brand-loyal kinda guy. I try not to buy knock-offs, though I think I bought some fake Golf Pride's last year by mistake. Won't happen again.

I have two nearly identical Scotty Newports with Golf Pride SNSR Contour grips. One is copper-plated (aftermarket,) and the other was refurbed in Scotty's shop. I ruined the platinum finish on that one a couple of days after I got it back. Turns out I like it better this way! 

I'm a ball snob. I started playing Wilson Staff balls when I was in college, and I don't play anything else except to try a sleeve to compare once in a while. I've read everything ever written here on golf balls, and I just keep thinking that this is one more variable I can eliminate. I usually buy last year's model, NOS, in bulk, on eBay. I don't pay more than a buck a ball, including shipping. On the day I think it's the ball that's costing me strokes, I'll buy THIS year's model. (And probably lose 'em just the same!)

My wife says I'm a "shoe horse." Okay, ten pairs of golf shoes is probably overkill, But, they keep my feet happy! Again, brand-loyal: Gloves and shoes all FJ, all the time.

I know I won't ever make a living from golf, and that's just fine with me. Once in a while I make a club for someone else, or give someone a driver or a putter if I think it will help them enjoy playing more. I once bribed a service technician with a new Cobra driver. I bought the head on eBay, paired it with an excellent shaft I didn't like, and he loved it!

I think a big part of the reason more families don't take up golf is because clubs for kids are difficult to fit and buy or make. Components are not readily available, and sets are far too expensive to fit kids who grow so fast! (There ought to be an exchange program for kids' clubs!) I'm building a new set for my wife who has had three sets in the past 15 years and has yet to play a full round of golf. (It's along story.)

I LOVE golf and golf equipment! But, I think the act of hitting a golf shot depends upon the interaction of the entire "system:" We buy or build golf clubs to fit the swing we THINK we have, to hit the ball we choose (for sometimes dubious reasons,) and adapt the swing we REALLY have to produce results as close as possible to the results we had in mind at the outset.

When the results or expectations change, we try again. And, therein lies the fun!

Thanks for indulging my fancy, fantasy, and fanaticism!

Welcome aboard!

WITB:

Driver - Callaway BB Alpha 9* Kuro Kage 50g. Reg. Shaft - 45"

3 Wood - Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep Pro 14.5* Project X 5.5

5 Wood - Callaway XR 19* Project X 5.5

3 - 5 Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Hybrids 18*, 22*, & 25* w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft

6 - PW - Callaway Apex w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft - Standard length & lofts 

GW, SW & LW - Hogan TK - 49*, 54* & 58* - KBS fst - Wedge flex

Putter - Ping - Mid Ketsch Heavy - 33"

Great intro and welcome!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Nice introduction, welcome to the forum from Indiana

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Welcome aboard!  Seems that you will fit right in.  

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST MaxRogue ST Max 3, 5 & 7 Wooda 
Irons -      Rogue ST MAX OS  5 - AW
Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*  

Putter -    ER2
Rangefinder -  NX9 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Soft Drip

Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Welcome aboard REMGolf! That was a seriously comprehensive intro! Hope to see you around the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Welcome aboard.

BigTazz

Grip in Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball!

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Welcome aboard from Texas

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Welcome to the MGS forums glad to have you with us

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Archived