TESTERS WANTED! ×

Boomerang Putting Trainer

I've had the Boomerang Putting Trainer for about three years now, and I think it's one of the best putting trainers out there. For those of you not familiar with the Boomerang, it's essentially a ramp (height/angle is adjustable, 6 settings, I believe) with a "cup" at the top. The object is to putt the first ball so that it stays in the cup. If you hit it too soft, obviously it won't get there; too hard and it won't stay in the cup. After you get the first ball "stuck," you use a second ball to dislodge the first. Sounds simple, but it isn't.

The thing that I really like about the Boomerang is that it forces you to stay down on your putts. I don't know how it works, but every time that I look up, I fail. When I keep my head down and listen for the ball to stick, it works. I also like that you can practice varying lengths of putts by adjusting the angle. Surprisingly, the flattest setting is actually one of the most difficult, IMO.

Overall, I like the Boomerang because it makes practice fun because it's competitive. You can make up lots of personal competitions, like how many you can make in a row, or, how many can you make out of 10 balls. It's even better with a partner. My wife and I like to compete and see who can go through more turns without a failure.

My only reservation about the Boomerang is that you need a surface that will allow the ball to transition smoothly onto the ramp. The carpeting that I had when I first bought the Boomerang was perfect. In my second apartment, the Boomerang stayed in the closet because the carpet caused the ball to jump onto the ramp. Now I have a BirdieBall putting green that works like a charm with the Boomerang. I would strong advise people NOT to buy the putting mat that comes packaged with the Boomerang. Mine never got anywhere near flat.

One line summary: Boomerang = fun indoor putting practice.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Thanks for the tip on the mat. I have wanted to pick one up but we have hardwood floors and my office is tiled. I have an Izzo mat in the office though. Maybe that would work with the boomarang.

(off to ebay)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

You are talking about that Carnoustie mat, right? I guess finding the right putting surface would be the biggest obstacle for me. All wood, tile, and carpet in my house.

Sactown - let me know how you make out with the Izzo mat.

BTW, love the video on the site. Dude was cracking me up with the camera work - zoom in, turn head left, zoom out, zoom in, turn head right, zoom out (for dramatic effect). Repeat process.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

You are talking about that Carnoustie mat, right? I guess finding the right putting surface would be the biggest obstacle for me. All wood, tile, and carpet in my house.

Sactown - let me know how you make out with the Izzo mat.

BTW, love the video on the site. Dude was cracking me up with the camera work - zoom in, turn head left, zoom out, zoom in, turn head right, zoom out (for dramatic effect). Repeat process.

Yes, the Carnoustie Mat is what I was referring to. Pretty much a POS, IMO. Having carpet shouldn't stop you from trying the Boomerang, if you're interested in it. As I said, some carpet works perfectly with it.

• SPY VIP

Didn't pull the trigger yet. The Izzo mat has foam at the cup end to give space for the balls to fall. My concern is that with the boomerang, I may be limited to 4 footers.

How long is it?

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

No more than about 18", and really less than that when you prop it up at an angle.

Thanks. It is a wire to stand it up right? Maybe the wire can extend past the mat and then have the front of the unit extend in front of the slope and the holes.

I should just buy it and then if it doesn't work, I'll just carpet the house. $30 trainer turns into $3000 in carpet...

Volvo Intorqueo

Thanks. It is a wire to stand it up right? Maybe the wire can extend past the mat and then have the front of the unit extend in front of the slope and the holes.

I should just buy it and then if it doesn't work, I'll just carpet the house. $30 trainer turns into $3000 in carpet...

Yeah, it's just a small, thin piece of metal that props the thing up. That makes it sound flimsy, but it's not, it's plenty sturdy for the task.

I carpeting the house is what it takes to get the Boomerang to work, then do it - it's THAT good. B)

• SPY VIP

Yeah, it's just a small, thin piece of metal that props the thing up. That makes it sound flimsy, but it's not, it's plenty sturdy for the task.

I carpeting the house is what it takes to get the Boomerang to work, then do it - it's THAT good. B)

Thanks, I think I will order it. And I am going to delete all references to new carpet in case the wife looks over my shoulder.

Volvo Intorqueo

I'll just add that I really like the Boomerang too. I'm an extremely casual golfer, I don't worry about scores or practicing, but I like to play with this just because it's fun. It's very frustrating at first, but that makes the success more rewarding.

Archived