TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Other Arnold...A Deeper Understanding

downlowkey

I found this to be a very interesting read.

https://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/09/25/arnold-palmer-death-one-year-later-daughter-peg-reflects-truth-between-brand-man

I welcome your thoughts but am reserving my own comments for the time being.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Waiting for Shanks to jump on this one.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

All I know is that this article will give Shankster a heart attack

OK I bit. You made me read it.

I'm not sure what the point of that story was. There's obviously three sides to that story and two of three sides can't speak. Why even publish it? There's no need to poke at Arnie's reputation with personal family matters.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

It was an interesting article, but from my perspective, there was nothing shocking or of any real relevance.   He was not a God, he was a human.   Like all of us, was subject to human frailties.  Ain't none of us perfect.  He was a man, a good man, a man by any definition.  Yes, he was a successful businessman and left quite an estate.   But success is defined by more than just material gain.  To me, success can be defined by leaving the world just a little better because one as here.  By that definition, Arnie's life was a successful one.   He defined our game as something more than just a country club sport,  but more importantly, children will continue to be helped through the hospital facilities he created and we will continue to enjoy the courses he developed.  

Depends what you consider unethical. Arnie was a womanizer and was known to sleep around, even when married.

The same could be said for many professional athletes and, honestly, men in general.

This was interesting, and perhaps not very surprising. I think when a person "belongs" to the public it is quite often at the expense of their family. I'm sure the children of hundreds of other athletes, entertainers, and other public figures have the same experience.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Men in general? Interesting. I've never cheated on any of my significant others.

I love Arnie, but no need to make excuses for his transgressions

I didn't say all men. I also didn't say most men. I said many men.

Infidelity is a big issue in today's family structure and we'd be naive to act like it's a rare occurrence. This is especially true for those in the public eye who have the means and opportunity. People in these scenarios are tempted much more frequently than average.

I'm not making excuses for him but I also don't think this should be taken as an opportunity to lynch his legacy either.

Not smudging his legacy in the least.

But let's not act like old loveable "Grandpa Arnie" was always that way.

Again, I am a huge Arnie fan, but unfortunately talking about any other aspect of Arnie other than his squeaky-clean loveable late life Arnie brings out fanatics that defend him like he's some sort of religious figure.

I didn't say all men. I also didn't say most men. I said many men.

Infidelity is a big issue in today's family structure and we'd be naive to act like it's a rare occurrence. This is especially true for those in the public eye who have the means and opportunity. People in these scenarios are tempted much more frequently than average.

I'm not making excuses for him but I also don't think this should be taken as an opportunity to lynch his legacy either.

Well then perhaps your "men in general" was a pretty poor choice of words.  Trying to normalize his infidelity is pretty damn weird - especially when a lot of that would try to defend Arnie are often the first to chastise Tiger for what he did.

In a stunning development, a man none of us personally knew during his life may have been someone different than his public persona wanted you to think he was. It's an interesting story and good on Pam for getting her thoughts out on it, but I don't see any major reveals here that make me think different of Arnold Palmer.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Good read I found it pretty interesting. Doesn't change my opinion on Arnie but certainly intriguing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

The part early on where winnie 'knew other players were starting new families' is the cruz of the matter. For a kid to know dad's cheating on mom and mom has to accept it or hit the pavement is one hell of a way to live and then have to abide by the dad is an idol game. Try living a lie day in and day out see how that works for you as it did for for his daughter.

In my book Arnie was a guy who could play good golf and was willing to be gracious to all. A good guy on the street for sure. But as Ive been lucky enough to see dozens of the best stripe a lazer at the pin like most of us never will he was just another once the deal was known. In his day the Palm Springs area was all about the latest skirt being there too, for those inclined. It has always been Hollywood's hide away the piece town, and bimbo city when the tour showed up. Common behavior by a common man with means at best, and manhood that is all but lost now was a different thing then too. Either way its straight up piss poor fatherhood by a less than stellar human being. The day tiger got married I knew this was more of the same while I have zero reverance for anybody that cheats on his family, or doesnt have the guts to be done with a mrs. he would rather do without. More than once "its cheaper to keep her" was the standard mantra at the 19th or the much loved watering hole called The Nest where these boys and their toys used to hang out.

As my kin across the pond would say, Arnie was "common as muck".

And idol worship is madison avenue's joke on you...

I don't understand this modern fascination with trying to tear down everyone's heroes.  This modern, TMZ fueled newscycle combined with a relentless pursuit of making sure everyone knew you were a secret b@stard.  Why not let people be remembered for the good they did?

Yes, Palmer was a known womanizer.  The press knew.  From the stories I have heard, pretty much everyone knew.  But it wasn't talked about, similar to JFK's indiscretions.  

But now, we can't like Washington and Jefferson because they owned slaves.  Ty Cobb was a racist.  Tiger knocked up a stripper...twice.  Pete Rose was a gambler.  

What these people did was extraordinary.  And quite often extraordinary people have some shade in their past.  Or as the joke says:  You can give to charity, be a good neighbor, but screw one goat and you are permanently known as "Bob the Goat-f*cker!"

I'll remember Palmer as the man that brought about the modern game.  He helped define the four modern Majors.  He gave huge to charities.  He also was extremely diligent about returning letters to fans.  He rarely turned down someone wanting an autograph.  He essentially helped turn IMG into the powerhouse that it is today.  A lot of athletes owe a debt of gratitude to Mr. Palmer for getting them paid at the level they are now.  

Tour Issue Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9° / Graphite Design P9003 TX  OR  Tour Issue Taylormade M1 430 9.5° / Graphite Design P9003 TX                        

Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX                    Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Project X T1100 95g 6.5

Tour Issue Titleist 915Hd 17.5° / Graphite Design DI-105 X                                Tour Issue Callaway BB Alpha 815 18° / Graphite Design DI-105 X

Scratch AR-1 v2 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                                        Raw Bridgestone J15CB 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7

Scratch FIT 54°DS and 60°DS / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                            Bettinardi H2 Forged 54° and 60° / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7        

Rotating 8802 style putters

Wow - lots of stones being cast here. I've said it lots of times and I will say it again - the wise person sees people whom he actually knows as role models and not some celebrity. With them who knows what's true or not. So I'm not about to draw large conclusions about Arnold Palmer based on this article. Interview my sister and I and you will hear radically different stories about our upbringing even though we grew up in the same house.

I know that my Dad, Coach, Trumpet teacher and Pastor were great men. They were my role models. Athletes provide distractions from life.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived