TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf School vs Golf Lesson Packages

Fister

I have seen some advertisements for some golf schools like Tour Striker and GMS. I mention these two but there are others that you can add and/or subtract. The schools themselves are interchangeable for the purposes of this particular question. Three day schools that offer on course instruction as well as instruction on individual facets of the game like bunkers, fairways, the rough and putting. The costs range from $1500 to $2k. The GMS states 6 hours of instruction per day and the 9 holes available to play after along with an instructor you can contact after whenever you like with a 24 response time. Tour Striker also gives you access to the teachers via email as well. Both offer what seem to be low teacher to student ratios of 3 & 4 to 1.

My question is, at a rate of about $75 to $100 per hour for a professional golf teacher, how would you guys rate these two options in comparison.

So if you had $2k to spend. Would you go to one of these three day intensive schools or would you rather 20 lessons with a local golf pro?

Also, of any one has done both already please feel free to discuss.

Thank you and I hope that this is in the right area. Still learning as a new member how to navigate the site.

TM R15

Adams V3 4-6

Cobra F7 One 7-S

Cleveland 2135 8.0

Fifty Elite

RV1S

Hmm this is a great topic. I would rather do lessons. Work on one small thing at a time to change and get right before moving on. I don't know how much you would be able to change something in 3 days. You can only absorb so much info a day if you have A.D.squirrel like I do. I would like to see other people's opinions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'd never go to one of those so called schools. Who the heck wants hours of instruction at one time?!! First they are overpriced IMO. Sure, they usually are held at a nice course or resort. Big whoop.

These types of deals are cramming as much into your head as possible over a few days. That's no way to receive good instruction that way. If you want to try a Tour Striker go buy one. They're not  expensive. I own one and it does work...if you use it. But I don't like it that much either. I prefer the DST Compressor in this category which I think it's much better. (See the reviews here in the forum.)

I wouldn't mind taking an hour of instruction from say, Jim McLean for example. But not a 3 day cram down. I've known many people who have gone to these types of schools and came away with little. Certainly not a better game. For that you'll need lessons and time from a competent professional you can work with. After that you have to practice your lessons. Improving your game noticeably will take time and patience.  

Save your money until when your game improves and then go to a resort.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

@Plaid

I think the main draw of the tour striker academy is the amount of follow up they give you. All the information they cram into your brain is reinforced through steady communication following your visit.

That being said, I'd still go with 20+ lessons if I had $2K to blow. I've never taken lessons and I could spread that out over at least 2 years.

The school trip would be a super fun experience though so both choices are winners.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I agree with STUD. I think the 3-day golf schools are probably more "fun". Think one of Dave Pelz's schools, at a great golf property, top of the line everything. But what are you paying for? Just because a guy can teach PGA tour pros doesn't mean he can teach me, I suck way more than them.

A group of lessons probably provides more lasting benefit, as you can work on small pieces over a long period of time and improve at a slower but more permanent rate. 

However, I will say that most people who do lessons focus only on the full swing (because your lessons are 30-60 minutes and on a driving range). At these schools, they work on putting, short game, full swing etc. so maybe there's some benefit to your entire game rather than just full swing. 

Either way, I created a thread a few months ago, get lessons and save the money you would spend on new clubs, it was an amazing experience for me. I had this conversation with a friend and we agreed on one thing, golf is the only sport people buy equipment and try to figure out themselves. Every other sport you play, you have coaching etc. to help you improve, the fact you don't do that for golf is crazy.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I agree with STUD. I think the 3-day golf schools are probably more "fun". Think one of Dave Pelz's schools, at a great golf property, top of the line everything. But what are you paying for? Just because a guy can teach PGA tour pros doesn't mean he can teach me, I suck way more than them.

A group of lessons probably provides more lasting benefit, as you can work on small pieces over a long period of time and improve at a slower but more permanent rate.

However, I will say that most people who do lessons focus only on the full swing (because your lessons are 30-60 minutes and on a driving range). At these schools, they work on putting, short game, full swing etc. so maybe there's some benefit to your entire game rather than just full swing.

Either way, I created a thread a few months ago, get lessons and save the money you would spend on new clubs, it was an amazing experience for me. I had this conversation with a friend and we agreed on one thing, golf is the only sport people buy equipment and try to figure out themselves. Every other sport you play, you have coaching etc. to help you improve, the fact you don't do that for golf is crazy.

I was self taught in with hockey all trial and error plus I lived too far from a rink to play for a team.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've done both and they are both beneficial.  You have to be careful with the schools because many of them teach a specific method.  If you are into that method, then you will likely enjoy it.  If not, well...

To get better, you have to change what you are currently doing.  It will feel different, and you will likely hit a bunch of bad shots.  In 3 days you may not reach the point where any swing changes you make are starting to feel normal. If you don't commit to the change and keep doing drills, then when you are home you will likely revert back to your old swing habits.

I wanted to change.  I made the commitment.  I treated the golf school trip like a vacation and enjoy the experience.  You have to go into it with an open mind, accept the changes, and commit to the process.  Over the past 10 years I have been committed to the Single Plane Swing, and  I will be going to my 4th school on Oct. 8 in Phoenix.  It's helped my game.  Even though they are long distance, they have a coaching program where I can send in videos, and they will analyze, make recommendations and provide drills to achieve changes.  

I have also taken a series of lessons locally.  The advantage is you can always go back for more any time you want for a tuneup.  It's best if you can find a coach you like and communicates well with you.  Do some interviews and take one lesson with several instructors before committing to a package.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I don't think one is objectively better than the other, just better for different kinds of people.

If you are someone who enjoys a deep, immersive dive, where you can interact with other golfers for a few days then the golf school is your ideal learning environment.

If you want to take things in bite size pieces, working a little more one on one, then the lessons are your ideal learning environment.

Different learning environments for different sorts of people. If it sounds fun and energizing to you then go with that one because chances are your personality/mentality is better suited to that particular learning environment. You can't learn if you aren't bought into the learning process.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Also nice topic selection Fister

Here is the link to newballcoach's thread on lessons with some good posts in there

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/20621-had-my-first-ever-lesson-today/?do=findComment&comment=319191

I'm an extrovert so I can see the value of a school, but I do also see the value in having some spaced out 'tune-up' lessons.

Great thread Fister!

If I had $2k to spend on one or the other, it would definitely be lessons. As some have said already the school is a few days of cramming information into your noggin as possible. Where as 25-30 lessons (roughly what 2k goes for around here) you can have a few weeks to warm up to get the season going, then take one lesson per week for the rest of the season and give yourself 6 more days before the next lesson to try and ingrain what you've just learned. While this is my point of view, I consider myself somewhat lucky that the pro at my course and I get along great. Uses terminology that doesn't go over my head, and writes up a lesson review that he emails you the next day.

Going to a Dave Pelz one day clinic is something I would consider if there was one in my area.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

pro at my course and I get along great. 

This is probably one the most important aspects—can you learn effectively from the instructor. Difficult to assess ahead of time. That might give lessons a slight edge on a school in terms of cost since you can dip your toe in the water on a few lessons.

This is probably one the most important aspects—can you learn effectively from the instructor. Difficult to assess ahead of time. That might give lessons a slight edge on a school in terms of cost since you can dip your toe in the water on a few lessons.

I'd definitely try to get a lesson in with an instructor to beforehand to try and get an idea of what to expect

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Hello gang, 

Great topic. Agreed, golf school vs private lessons is different beast for everyone. Of course, I have a "horse in the game," as the Tour Striker Golf Academy 3-Day camp is my business, so take these comments however you like.

I've been teaching for thirty three of my forty nine years...

Hourly lessons, spaced over time, are great for people who will actually practice. A "Gym Rat" personality would likely do well in this format.

Here's a spin on this route; consider making it a "golf school" experience anyway. Plan a learning experience I call the "Sandwich Technique." Book a lesson in the morning, play 9 or 18 holes and take a lesson after your round. I did this as much as I could when I was a kid. Yes, it is a lot and you'll be gassed, but you'll have time on the course to apply the feels explained during the morning session and at the end of day lesson, you can ask questions and explain the challenges you faced on the course. You don't have to pound a bunch of balls during the pm session, just organize your thoughts and plan with your Pro. To make it really fun, get a buddy, or spouse to do this with you. Celebrate the day with a fun dinner or cocktails. 

I'm not a fan of taking one lesson per week. Too often, life gets in the way of your intentions and you'll find that you are paying for observation and the same lesson from the previous week. 

My golf school, while immersive, it is intended to be long enough to actually get you to make a changes in the variety of skills needed to play effective golf and all in the presence of helpful coaches. 

It's a "crash course" for golfers who haven't had success with traditional 1-hour sessions and with "two sleeps" between beginning and end, you'll begin taking on the physical changes and enlightened understanding required for your best golf. Since we aren't hovering over you for every moment, like in a 1:1 lesson, you'll get short periods to translate the coaching into your own language and develop questions if needed. You are with like minded folks grinding away with similar desires. Also, you'll have a personal online coaching platform with all of your videos recorded during the school. The platform is meant for engagement. Ask a question? Post a video? We get back to you with guidance. 

$2000 is a LOT of money, no doubt. Add in travel and lodging and your at $3000. That is serious cash for the silly game we love...

Fact: most of the students who come to the school are 55 - 80 years old. My oldest was 86 years old. I've had many students in their 80's. How cool is that!! 80+ and still wanting to get better!!!

These folks clearly have three critical things...time, money and the desire for a change. Rarely do I get a guy in his 30's at my school. If I do, they are the son/daughter of an older attendee. 

My "normal" lesson book, on my non-school days, is taken up with more "seasoned" players or younger 20-somethings on a Tour professional path. Again, rarely do I get someone 30-40 years old. 

Something seems to be working...lots of people are enjoying the school. 

Reviews

Good luck with your game! 

Best,

Martin Chuck

Cool that Martin Chuck participated in this forum. I know he has a vested interest but still nice to see. Pretty validating for the MGS gang

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Here's a spin on this route; consider making it a "golf school" experience anyway. Plan a learning experience I call the "Sandwich Technique." Book a lesson in the morning, play 9 or 18 holes and take a lesson after your round. I did this as much as I could when I was a kid. Yes, it is a lot and you'll be gassed, but you'll have time on the course to apply the feels explained during the morning session and at the end of day lesson, you can ask questions and explain the challenges you faced on the course. 

This is an interesting take and one I think would be pretty effective. Sometimes after a lesson you feel like you have it figured out and then you seem to lose it. Checking in soon after applying it would help identify where something went wrong.

Also, Martin, thanks for weighing in!

Well after the Tour Striker Academy announcement I think we can all agree... Lessons

;)  :D

Great topic.

When. I started reading the thread. I was in the lessons camp. For the reasons many laid out.

About halfway through I was thinking Golftec 12 month lesson package. It ses to offer more than a biweekly lesson with a pro. You get use of the practice faclity on your own as well.

By the end, and not swayed by Martin at all (well maybe a little bit) I was thinking the school. Especially when i read his demographics. Heck at 58 I could be one of the young bucks for a change. Ha

But i do think the 3 day experience would be fun /cool and I'm convinced I'd leave with at least one key aspect of my game improved.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I just returned from a 3-day school at the Legacy Golf Resort in Phoenix.  The school cost me $1100; the airfare was free since I used my Delta airline miles; stayed at the Legacy Resort for $500 for 4 nights; I didn't rent a car (took a cab to the resort $25 each way); lunch and continental breakfast was provided each day at the school so I only had to pay for dinners (the calamari is great, trust me!).  The only negative is the resort has a limited, poor beer selection.

This is my 4th school in 10 years with the Graves Golf Academy teaching the Moe Norman single plane swing.  This school was only for alumni of previous schools, so everyone was familiar with the single plane basic fundamentals.  There were 15 students and 6 instructors.  In 3 days we were on the putting green, chipping and pitching, bunker play, and full swing.  We also spent time working on flexibility exercises.  

The instructors walked down the line of students with an iPad videoing swings with the V1 software, then analyzing the video with each student.  It's amazing; what you think you are doing vs. what you are actually doing.  After the school we were sent each of the videos with commentary on what we need to do and how to proceed.  I am a member of their coaching program which allows me to send in as many videos as I want on any aspect of my game, and they will analyze the videos and send back comments and what to work on.  Any school or lessons from a local instructor MUST use video in order for you to get proper feedback on your progress to your goal.  If you can't see that you are doing drills correctly, then there is a really good chance you are doing them wrong; the result will be that you get worse.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

@Kenny

So my question is, what did you get out of the school that you couldn't have gotten from lessons with a single swing plane instructor that uses video?

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

@Kenny

So my question is, what did you get out of the school that you couldn't have gotten from lessons with a single swing plane instructor that uses video?

Well, there are no single plane instructors in my area.  The GGA has been conducting these schools for 16 years.  They spent 10 years working with Moe Norman before he died to learn his method and perfect the training program.  So they are the masters of the perfect single plane swing, IMHO.

I have treated each of the schools as a "vacation"; time to get away from work for a few days and get immersed in the learning experience.  Would I go to another school?  I thought about that on my way home.  It's worth it to meet the instructors, but I think their coaching program will be able to suit my needs from now on.  This program is fairly new; they started it a couple of years ago.  I shoot my own videos, and they analyze them comparing positions to the model... Moe Norman; then give instruction on what to fix and how to fix it.  It's like having a local instructor.

I'd take the lessons. To be hit with a ton of changes in a short period of time and expect them to take-hold or sink in immediately is not likely. I'd rather go to my teacher and work over an extended period of time so there's ample time to work on the specific recommendations between lessons.

I can't imagine building a new swing in just days and playing a solid round of golf with the pro right at the end of the school.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Archived